Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #91
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: HBO's True Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
So I suppose they could run through the logic that the original case was put to bed to cover for the fact that one of them is the killer, and they're covering it up by killing whoever this prime suspect was. That would feel a little on the nose to me, and frankly when thats done there's usually holes in it along the way that don't make a ton of sense. But it would be a very logical story arc for a tv show.
I think with MM hiding and out of the loop for so long and just being kind of a weirdo all around, they suspect that he's a new "copycat killer"
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #92
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
I think with MM hiding and out of the loop for so long and just being kind of a weirdo all around, they suspect that he's a new "copycat killer"

Or perhaps he snapped after getting more and more reason to suspect WH is the actual killer, and not being able to convince anyone in a dept that obviously loves the guy and hates him, after Woody kills a suspect to cover his own tracks.

That would be a TV type narrative. They could even play an angle where MM did the current killing to try to bring the case back into the light to try to expose WH because he's in a position where he has nothing to lose now after a life of drinking himself into the ground.

Either way, I was expecting something played a little more straight, and not so melodramatic. But I'm beginning to suspect that's the direction we're heading.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #93
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

KingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKingBeasley08 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Or perhaps he snapped after getting more and more reason to suspect WH is the actual killer, and not being able to convince anyone in a dept that obviously loves the guy and hates him, after Woody kills a suspect to cover his own tracks.

That would be a TV type narrative. They could even play an angle where MM did the current killing to try to bring the case back into the light to try to expose WH because he's in a position where he has nothing to lose now after a life of drinking himself into the ground.

Either way, I was expecting something played a little more straight, and not so melodramatic. But I'm beginning to suspect that's the direction we're heading.
Eh it's possible but didn't they have their falling out 7 years after the 95 case. I don't think their argument has to do with the case
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #94
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Caught up on the first 2 episodes. Show has some real potential. Don't think Cohle is the killer, in either instance, just seems too obvious. I hope they have some all star talent lined up for the next season because starting off with Matt and Woody is like starting off with Usain Bolt in a relay. Gonna be a really tough act to follow.

Also...

DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #95
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

You must ruin shows for yourself. You've taken a good show, and painted a whole bunch of ways it will be ruined for yourself, as well as what you think should happen. I'm just along for the ride and want to be entertained, if I had expectations that needed to be filled i think i'd not like it so much.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #96
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Really interesting insight from a poster on IMDB...
When I tuned into the first episode of True Detective I was expecting a rather run of the mill cop-serial killer chase show. Nothing in the first episode convinced me I was wrong, don't get me wrong, I liked the premiere, it just didn't seem anything new that I hadn't seen before. Boy was I wrong. There was a huge clue, so discrete that I dismissed it as swiftly as the characters in the show - the green spaghetti monster.

Now, most people still are probably in the dark about what this show is really about, but I just happen to be a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan and the second Rust opened that notebook and I saw the words King in Yellow and Carcosa it all made sense. For those who don't know, H.P. Lovecraft was a horror writer in the 1920's who created a mythology based around the assumption that we are all ignorant of the true dark nature of the world we live in, a nature where there are ancient and horrible creatures lurking in the shadows and with knowledge of the truth comes madness. His most well known character is Cthulhu. Over the years Lovecraft's writings have been blended with other similar writers and all the stories together are commonly referred to as the Cthulhu mythos or the Lovecraft mythos.

In many of the stories the plots are similar to True Detective - the characters begin investigating something that on the surface appears mundane only to discover that the truth is much darker and more abstract. Themes often deal with dread, insanity, etc. Given the clues of the spaghetti monster, the King in Yellow, and Carcosa it's now plain that this is a Lovecraft mythos show - the question now is how deep into the mythology will the writers delve? Is this still the work of one deranged serial killer? Was the girl a victim of a sinister cult of the Elder God Hastur? Will we actually see mythos creatures like Star Spawn and Shoggoths?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/.../224933714?p=1
I'm not at all familiar with H.P. Lovecraft's work. Only thing I know about Cthulhu is that one South Park episode

But Cohle has mentioned several times that this is part of the killer's fantasies finally manifesting itself in the physical world.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #97
highwhey
el vato encabronado

highwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Caught up on the first 2 episodes. Show has some real potential. Don't think Cohle is the killer, in either instance, just seems too obvious. I hope they have some all star talent lined up for the next season because starting off with Matt and Woody is like starting off with Usain Bolt in a relay. Gonna be a really tough act to follow.

Also...

so there will be a season 2? if so, are they going to pull a wire and change it up every season, with new actors?

and how timely of me to cancel hbo subcription when this show premiered lol. i let my subcription on even after GoT finished but hbo has some terrible movies or movies and shows that i have watched completely.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #98
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
so there will be a season 2? if so, are they going to pull a wire and change it up every season, with new actors?

Yup. The Hart/Cohle story will be wrapped up by the end of the 8th episode (presumably). Then season 2 will have a brand new story and characters, but the same overall structure.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:19 AM   #99
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

God damn this is a well written show. They are giving McConaughey some grade A material to work with and he's hitting that shit out of the park, as he has been with everything lately.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 AM   #100
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So....

It looks like Rust is going undercover. Should be spectacular. Two weeks until the next episode, though?

Damn good show.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:02 AM   #101
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Really interesting insight from a poster on IMDB...
When I tuned into the first episode of True Detective I was expecting a rather run of the mill cop-serial killer chase show. Nothing in the first episode convinced me I was wrong, don't get me wrong, I liked the premiere, it just didn't seem anything new that I hadn't seen before. Boy was I wrong. There was a huge clue, so discrete that I dismissed it as swiftly as the characters in the show - the green spaghetti monster.

Now, most people still are probably in the dark about what this show is really about, but I just happen to be a huge H.P. Lovecraft fan and the second Rust opened that notebook and I saw the words King in Yellow and Carcosa it all made sense. For those who don't know, H.P. Lovecraft was a horror writer in the 1920's who created a mythology based around the assumption that we are all ignorant of the true dark nature of the world we live in, a nature where there are ancient and horrible creatures lurking in the shadows and with knowledge of the truth comes madness. His most well known character is Cthulhu. Over the years Lovecraft's writings have been blended with other similar writers and all the stories together are commonly referred to as the Cthulhu mythos or the Lovecraft mythos.

In many of the stories the plots are similar to True Detective - the characters begin investigating something that on the surface appears mundane only to discover that the truth is much darker and more abstract. Themes often deal with dread, insanity, etc. Given the clues of the spaghetti monster, the King in Yellow, and Carcosa it's now plain that this is a Lovecraft mythos show - the question now is how deep into the mythology will the writers delve? Is this still the work of one deranged serial killer? Was the girl a victim of a sinister cult of the Elder God Hastur? Will we actually see mythos creatures like Star Spawn and Shoggoths?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2356777/.../224933714?p=1
I'm not at all familiar with H.P. Lovecraft's work. Only thing I know about Cthulhu is that one South Park episode

But Cohle has mentioned several times that this is part of the killer's fantasies finally manifesting itself in the physical world.
Have you seen "In The Mouth of Madness" with Sam Neill? It is based on a Lovecraft novel. Good flick. Event Horizon is also very Lovecratian... pretty sure that was a major source of material for what I consider one of the best sci-fi movies out there.

That is a very interesting take on True Detective. The Spaghetti Monster did intrigue me right off the bat. My first thought was, "What if..."

I hadn't thought specifically about Lovecraft, but after reading the above comment, it makes a ton of sense. The show definitely has that kind of overwhelming sense of impending dread that he was known for.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #102
wildchild
Banned

wildchild has an OK reputation so far

Is Alexadra Daddario still showing her boobs? If not, no reason to follow this show anymore.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:17 AM   #103
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Have you seen "In The Mouth of Madness" with Sam Neill? It is based on a Lovecraft novel. Good flick. Event Horizon is also very Lovecratian... pretty sure that was a major source of material for what I consider one of the best sci-fi movies out there.

That is a very interesting take on True Detective. The Spaghetti Monster did intrigue me right off the bat. My first thought was, "What if..."

I hadn't thought specifically about Lovecraft, but after reading the above comment, it makes a ton of sense. The show definitely has that kind of overwhelming sense of impending dread that he was known for.

Haven't seen those movies, definitely will check them out sometime in the next 2 weeks before the next episode. Here's screenshots of Dora's journal from the second episode:

The King in Yellow

Carcosa

Apparently Lovecraft's work was influenced in part by that, especially the yellow signs like what the killer(s) tattoo on the 2 victims found so far.

I wonder if they will keep the show completely grounded in reality or if it will take an unforseen 'Twin Peaks' turn soon. They have set it up so they can have it both ways with Cohle's visions/hallucinations and now his synesthesia. That way they can show some supernatural aspects while having an explanation for them unlike Lynch who just doesn't give a f*ck
Old 01-27-2014, 03:29 AM   #104
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

This show is fkn amazing Holy shit.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:34 AM   #105
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Haven't seen those movies, definitely will check them out sometime in the next 2 weeks before the next episode. Here's screenshots of Dora's journal from the second episode:

The King in Yellow

Carcosa

Apparently Lovecraft's work was influenced in part by that, especially the yellow signs like what the killer(s) tattoo on the 2 victims found so far.

I wonder if they will keep the show completely grounded in reality or if it will take an unforseen 'Twin Peaks' turn soon. They have set it up so they can have it both ways with Cohle's visions/hallucinations and now his synesthesia. That way they can show some supernatural aspects while having an explanation for them unlike Lynch who just doesn't give a f*ck
That is awesome. No doubt about the Lovecraftian angle after looking at those pics... And, I can't describe how excited that makes me for the remainder of the show.

Rust's frequent diatribes about the true nature of man take on an even darker tone for me now, if that's humanly possible.

Definitely check out those movies, especially Event Horizon. That movie scared the f#ck out of me the first time I saw it. I recently watched it again and even the special effects hold up pretty well all these years later.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: