Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-10-2015, 09:23 AM   #1156
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Default Re: HBO's True Detective discussion

nope, looks like it was pretty bad
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #1157
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
But the very end, where she's laying out the entire story for whoever that guy was, was more of a justice prevails ending than I was expecting.
It was the investigative reporter whom Ray had beaten up in his apartment in the first episode...

Last edited by Tarik One : 08-10-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #1158
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
The was the investigative reporter whom Ray had beaten up in his apartment in the first episode...

Thanks, my boss and I were just talking about it, he binge watched it over the last week, and he picked up on that immediately. I thought it was a reporter, not even the reporter, right up until he said something about her coming back to "testify" for him. Then I though he must be some kind of prosecutor. Maybe someone who worked for Davis, the black lady.

He actually had a question about who's baby it was at the end. My father had the same question. Was it Frank's and his wife's, or did Velcro knock up Bezzerides during his one quick session. I thought it was pretty clearly Velcro's, because she tells the reporter something to the effect of "I have to do it for his sons", which I immediately took to mean this baby and Chad Velcro. So the Frank thing never even occurred to me, but I had made my mind up before I even saw Frank's wife with the kid, so that didn't mean much to me. Anyway, the fact that more than one person I know came up with the same conclusion speaks a bit to the murky writing. I like that you have really pay attention, you cant' watch this show and play Words With Friends, but sometimes it feels like it's too cute for it's own good.

I think this might play a lot differently watched over a short time span.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #1159
Nastradamus
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
Ending was fantastic... Feels fitting, like a greek tragedy. Well suited considering the over looming dominant themes present. It was great to see how the story of Oedipus Rex was finally tied into it like Pizzalato said...

Overall I feel the season was strong. Thematically and stylistically it was very certain... A hard-boiled, greek tragic noir... I think the drastic change in styles from season 1 really confused a lot of people and hurt the outlook on the season. People see the title True Detective and they expect something a similar to what they got last year, despite it being clearly known to most that this is an anthology series and must be treated as such as if every season were separate and unique from the last. I think this season achieved that, the slow start definitely hampered critical response, but in my eyes it is always better to finish strong, which it did. I have no doubt in my mind that if this 2nd season had gotten a Netflix style all at once release, people would be saying better things.

I'll rate this season a B+++, about a close as you'll get to an A, but because they went so big this season compared to last, the margin for error was considerably higher, and there were errors, just like season 1. Personally, I rated season 1 slightly higher at A-.... They played it far more safe with the story and the characters, which minimized the margin for fault and criticism. I hope others see the quality in this season, it was a success in my eyes. Bring on season 3!

Great post. Finale killed it. Funny, Nick said it would be about two women this season shortly after season 1. Maybe he wasn't lying.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #1160
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
Ending was fantastic... Feels fitting, like a greek tragedy. Well suited considering the over looming dominant themes present. It was great to see how the story of Oedipus Rex was finally tied into it like Pizzalato said...

Overall I feel the season was strong. Thematically and stylistically it was very certain... A hard-boiled, greek tragic noir... I think the drastic change in styles from season 1 really confused a lot of people and hurt the outlook on the season. People see the title True Detective and they expect something a similar to what they got last year, despite it being clearly known to most that this is an anthology series and must be treated as such as if every season were separate and unique from the last. I think this season achieved that, the slow start definitely hampered critical response, but in my eyes it is always better to finish strong, which it did. I have no doubt in my mind that if this 2nd season had gotten a Netflix style all at once release, people would be saying better things.

I'll rate this season a B+++, about a close as you'll get to an A, but because they went so big this season compared to last, the margin for error was considerably higher, and there were errors, just like season 1. Personally, I rated season 1 slightly higher at A-.... They played it far more safe with the story and the characters, which minimized the margin for fault and criticism. I hope others see the quality in this season, it was a success in my eyes. Bring on season 3!
Almost totally agree with you, just wish the ending wasn't so damn tragic. It felt like Red Wedding all over again...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #1161
dazzer87
College star

Horrible show....What a let down from season 1....
dazzer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #1162
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer87
Horrible show....What a let down from season 1....
Some of my friends think it's better than season 1 which was only hype because of Mcconaughey, but I'd say it's a bit weaker than season 1.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #1163
longhornfan1234
National High School Star

They should cast Idris Elba, Ruth Wilson, and Jake Gyllenhaal next season.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #1164
ZeN
Stormblessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
Idris and Jake would kill it...

But hell no on Ruth Wilson.. She should be taken into the woods and have her permanent duck face shot..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #1165
longhornfan1234
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Idris and Jake would kill it...

But hell no on Ruth Wilson.. She should be taken into the woods and have her permanent duck face shot..

Ruth Wilson is a very talented actress. She's by far a superior actress than McAdams. Have you watch the Affair and Luther?
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #1166
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
It would be too much like Luther...
Old 08-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #1167
RidonKs
rank sentamentalist

just finished

awesome season of television
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: