Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 12-16-2013, 11:25 AM   #151
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Official 2013-14 Toronto Raptors Regular Season Game Thread

Quote:
2) Assume the Raps GM and Management believe they can parley this years 1st rounder (say 15th), next years 1st rounder (say 15th), next years Knicks 1st rounder (say 8th) and whatever draft pick they get via Brooklyn or some other team for Klow... into a top 5 pick for Wiggens in 2014
No team is trading out of top 5 this year unless you give them a James Harden type guaranteed talent. And even then, it's doubtful depending on the contracts. A top pick in this draft is among the most valuable trade assets in the league. The Raptors do not and will not have anything close to offer for one.

A retool rather than a rebuild this year would be comparable to any of Colangelo's biggest mistakes.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #152
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

I don't think Ujiri is that naive. If you think of what Colangelo would've done and what Ujiri has done, its 2 completely different things.

Colangelo would've traded Bargs for a good asset and bad contract rather than the package that we got from NY.

He would've kept Rudy Gay thinking that it would help this team.

Ujiri has a much different approach IMO. He knows that this team tops off at a 6 seed in the east. Thats why we hear the rumours for Lowry and Amir. He wants all the first round picks he can get to contribute to this team.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #153
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
I don't think Ujiri is that naive..... <snip>

Ujiri has a much different approach IMO. He knows that this team tops off at a 6 seed in the east. Thats why we hear the rumours for Lowry and Amir. He wants all the first round picks he can get to contribute to this team.

@ Q @ Kmart

Funny but I think we are actually saying the same thing albiet with different predictions.

I know you prefer the tank - loose and choose method.

I am not actually disagreeing... I am trying to predict or get a read on MU and the future.

The bottom line I would stress is the MU hates the concept of tanking. He says it repeatedly. If points out that "tanking , rebuilding, etc" are different ways of saying "loose" and he doesnt like it.

He does operate different and he will accumulate 1st rounders I agree. This is his exact MO in Denver. The only piece I am projecting a little different - something we have not yet seen of his limited time in Denver...

I suspect that if he is satisfied with Val, Derozan, Ross as his core... Amir as his "less expensive backup"... that he will use a series of 5 future draft picks over the next 3 years (plus other players like Fields expiring contract) to trade up in the draft next year... while still trying to win this year !
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #154
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I agree with you that that's the most likely course Ujiri will take. A retool. Personally, I think it will fail and in 3 years most of us will still be disappointed with the direction of the franchise and wondering why the Raptors still haven't rebuilt in the post-Bosh years.

IMO, that course of action is going to get a big dose of reality when teams like Philly, Orlando and possibly Milwaukee (they are a weird team) all pass the Raptors because they were able to draft a strong core of players to develop.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #155
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Tonight's game thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...50#post9257350
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #156
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Let's get this W boys!
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #157
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Let's get this W boys!

I have a feeling like the one season where we all wish we were horrible and got another lottery pick, but instead we make a huge push and make a 6th-8th seed

Vasquez, Salmons and Patterson are all looking good and all seem like good additions to the team. They all add something unique and valuable, and they are all team players that definitely improve chemistry a lot more than Gay/Gray/Acy.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #158
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well, that's game. When are we getting Lowry out of here again? lol
Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #159
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Well, that's game. When are we getting Lowry out of here again? lol

What a tease of a game eh? I thought Demar was going to ice it at the line but his shot got shaky at the end. I didn't think Charlotte would get an open shot off that quickly with a second left in the game for the win.. Especially losing track of Kemba off that screen was just terrible defending. Lowry just gave up and didn't fight through the pick.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #160
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
What a tease of a game eh? I thought Demar was going to ice it at the line but his shot got shaky at the end. I didn't think Charlotte would get an open shot off that quickly with a second left in the game for the win.. Especially losing track of Kemba off that screen was just terrible defending. Lowry just gave up and didn't fight through the pick.
Exactly what I was thinking. 1. that Demar wasn't gonna miss that FT. 2. That above and beyond everything with only 1 second left the last person we would ever let get an open look at the basket was Kemba Walker. But we've proven time and time again that we absolutely suck in close late game scenarios. It's games like this that make me feel like we need to blow this up as soon as possible and not stay in the "no mans land" that we were promised not to be in.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #161
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

2 for 3 in the important games. Same old Raps with mental breakdowns at home against the Bobcats. At least this time it looked like they could have won.

6 games on the road I think.

Bottom Line: we all seem to "know" Klow and some other players are out of here.

However I think MU will take back youth if he cant get draft picks.

I dont think this team is goona go the "loose and choose" route. They will scrap for a playoff spot till the bitter end. With the back end of the schedule having two up head to head with the Knicks and Bucks - throw in the Pistons life and death for playoffs as well... I think we can assume this team is not out of the playoff hunt till the fat lady sings....
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #162
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Tonight's game thread:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...89#post9265189
Old 12-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #163
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Well I guess everyone can forget about the whole 'tank' idea. This team isn't bad enough to make a serious run at a high lottery pick. Even if they were to trade Lowry, they would still be pretty decent with Greivis Vasquez running the point. Not to mention the East teams just seem to be getting worse and worse (Chicago with Rose out, and now the Nets losing Lopez).

The only way I see this team getting better is through trades and signings.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #164
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Well I guess everyone can forget about the whole 'tank' idea. This team isn't bad enough to make a serious run at a high lottery pick. Even if they were to trade Lowry, they would still be pretty decent with Greivis Vasquez running the point. Not to mention the East teams just seem to be getting worse and worse (Chicago with Rose out, and now the Nets losing Lopez).

The only way I see this team getting better is through trades and signings.

Drafting, signings, and trades can all work to make a great team, but in the Raptors case I agree, trades and signings (superstar level players) would have work to truly contend with other teams.

Just look at the winners post 07, none of them have done so from the major parts of their winning being from draft picks. And even if the Raptors went to the route of San Antonio... there's no way in hell I have the confidence that Raptors can be the freaking Spurs organization.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #165
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Just look at the winners post 07, none of them have done so from the major parts of their winning being from draft picks. And even if the Raptors went to the route of San Antonio... there's no way in hell I have the confidence that Raptors can be the freaking Spurs organization.
You may want to re-think that and actually look at those teams.

Boston won because they clearly tanked and had the assets to trade for a player like Ray Allen. They also used previously drafted players to trade for KG. And how about that guy Paul Pierce, they just happened to draft him.

Dallas, superstar talent they drafted and built properly around.

Lakers, superstar talent they basically drafted (pre-draft agreement) and built properly around.

Miami, superstar talent they drafted which led to them being able to entice other star players (Shaq and then Lebron/Bosh) to join him and lead them to multiple titles.

And that's just the champions. How about the other teams that were considered title contenders in those years? Cavs led by Lebron, Magic led by Howard, Thunder led by Durant and Westbrook, Denver with Carmelo even made the conference finals and other examples that I just don't feel like looking up.

There are always exception to the rule but in general, you don't become a contender unless you have top tier talent. It all starts with the draft. That's the only way for the Raptors to get cost-controlled top talent and have the potential to develop a winner and attract other top players. I don't want the Raptors to be like Denver who are exactly in the NBA's "no man's land".
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: