Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
TheBigAristotle1
Serious playground baller

TheBigAristotle1 has an OK reputation so far
Default I hate the Barganni Hype

I hate the hype this guy recieves. A guy who wasn't a star, averaged 22mpg, and 11 ppg, is being considered the #1 pick. What makes this guy head and shoulders above a guy like Nick Fazekas? Let alone Adam Morrison or Brandon Roy, guys that were legit stars in division 1 college basketball.
TheBigAristotle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

WADE MONEY has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigAristotle1
I hate the hype this guy recieves. A guy who wasn't a star, averaged 22mpg, and 11 ppg, is being considered the #1 pick. What makes this guy head and shoulders above a guy like Nick Fazekas? Let alone Adam Morrison or Brandon Roy, guys that were legit stars in division 1 college basketball.

potential. Not trying to make a point or anything, I honestly want to know: what were dirk and gasol's stats in their euroleague?
WADE MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

He's a 20 year old kid in the Euroleague who dominated in the playoffs. Nevermind the stats, they are decieving. He hardly got any time at the start of the year because the coaches didn't think he was ready, but he proved that he was and by the time playoffs came he took over. Thats the source of all the hype.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:13 PM   #4
Unregistered

Heck, I'm from Toronto, and yes, I was wishing they could've traded down for Roy, Foye, or Marcus Williams (I was screaming when Phoenix practically gave away the 21st pick to Boston and he went with the 22nd). But you know what? I'm happy with Bargnani. He's a project, but he has a lot of potential. And it's not all just hype. He came down to Toronto two years ago with his team, and they won the exibition game against the Raptors. Maybe it's just because the Raptors sucked two years ago, but he still matched up with Bosh alright, and they've both had two years to develop. Watch the Charlie V, CB4, and Bargniani front court dominate for the next decade.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:09 AM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigAristotle1

Nowadays competition in the Euroleague is a lot tougher than College Hoops at any level. I don't know if Bargnani will become a superstar, but in this year draft, with not much talent, he makes sense at no.1. I'm sure he already has more high level playing experience than any college player, he's been playing against experienced pros for two years at the highest European level, and during this span he's been constantly improving. I saw him playing several times, and I can tell you that he has the potential to become a very good NBA player.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Unregistered

I'm in Germany and last year the German championship team was led by a NBA reject point guard so don't give them all the hype that you hear.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Just because they have been rejected from the NBA doesn't mean they are not good players. They just need time to develop which they can't get over here.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I'm in Germany and last year the German championship team was led by a NBA reject point guard so don't give them all the hype that you hear.

And that probably means more than likely played in the NCAA. Which would mean the talent would be greater than Division 1.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Unregistered

Default too much hype

This kid is not the next Dirk Nowitzki. And, if he is, so what? Power Forwards are supposed to be powerful, not three point shooters. Look what happened to the Mavs in the finals. The 7 foot tall three point shooter couldn't lead his team to a championship, and frankly I don't think he ever will. Power forwards are supposed to be in the lane dominating, not outside the arc jacking up threes.

This kid may be fun to watch if he develops but he definitely won't lead his team to a championship, unless they have a monster center for Toronto in the next couple of years that can compensate for his tall ass staying on the perimter shooting threes.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:25 AM   #10
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

Register.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #11
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

The game has changed too much there are very few bruising PF/C anymore.

Shaq, Etan Thomas, Bogut, Magloire, PJ Brown, Dwight Howard, Boozer, Kirilenko, Duncan(too an extent) Brand and others but those are te ones that instantly come to my mind.

All the others in the league are mostly finesse shooting big man and not bangers. The new breed PF/C are more prevalent. Chris Bosh, KG, Darius Miles, J.O. , Nowitzki, Krstic, Aldridge, Gasol, Brad Miller, Yao Ming, Rasheed Wallace, David West, Mo Taylor and others.

You cannot say that he will never win a championship. You can't see into the future. This is a new style of game when the rule changes were made bangers are very rarely seen anymore b/c of how the game is called. They pick up fouls too quickly. The new age teams are lookig for skilled big man. Bargnani will fit right into that role for the Raps and will develop into a decent player and maybe a Nowitzki...if so watch out for the Raps

Last edited by bonez26 : 06-30-2006 at 02:33 PM.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #12
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Hey you moron, stop hating. He played in a league with better talent than the NCCA Div 1. If you looked at his game maybe you'd realize why the top drafting teams GM's all wanted him. You dumbass, IF COLANGELO WANTED HIM, WHAT YOU THINK DOESN'T MATTER.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #13
H-ToWn_LoKo
Can barely lace up my sneakers

H-ToWn_LoKo has an OK reputation so far

This dude will be a lot better down the line, he needs more muscle if he wants to play in this league.....IMO the Raptors needed instant help and Bargnani is a project, I would have chosen Aldridge to complement bosh or i would have ignored critics and gone for Foye, Roy, or Morrison knowing that the offense of Mike James will no longer ber there.....
H-ToWn_LoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #14
TheBigAristotle1

You guys are missing the point, the point is this guy has shown nothing indicating that he has the personality/game that could make him a star. Some players are solid role players on any level, if you moved Bruce Bowen from the NBA to the NCAA how much better would he be? The #1 pick is reserved for guys who atleast have the potential to be superstars or franchise players. Has Barganni ever been a star player, a guy who ever dominated on any level? Or is he just a guy who was born to be a role player on any level he plays at?

And thats the bottom line, it is irrational to think Barganni could be a superstar, when he was never a star in a league far inferior to the NBA, and as far as I know wasn't really a huge star before going to the Italian League team.

There are a ton of NCAA "role players" who go to the NBA and have solid careers, Chris Duhon for example, also Andre Igoudala. There are very few guys who were average College players who go on to be NBA superstars. Corey Maggette is the only one I can think of, the jury is still out on Marcus Williams.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #15
TheBigAristotle1

I don't hate Barganni by any means, I'm rooting for the guy to succeed, I just think that drafting an average Italian League player is a little nuts.

And BTW, I'm a Bulls fan who is happy with the Tyrus Thomas pick so flame away.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: