Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 07-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #31
Neb154
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Bargnani is not going to play the 5. He is not going to be the "Euro Softy Center." Bargnani will blow by most 4s and 5s who guard him on D, or pull up for the 3. He has a good touch, a good handle, and size. He needs to work on his rebounding (or at least the numbers say so). But the bottom line to all of this is...

Andrea is not a project. Everyone needs to throw that word out of any conversation on him. He will get better, but that doesn't mean he is a project a la Sene. Bargnani played very well in a tough league (as has already been said) and he is ready at least mentally to contribute in the NBA (not like a project).
Neb154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #32
Neb154

I'm not the biggest fan of Hollinger but to quote one of his articles

"Various outlets around the country have described Bargnani as putting up mediocre numbers in Europe. This is a classic example of the failure to understand the difference between per-game and per-minute averages. Per-game, Bargnani's stats are nothing special -- his Euroleague numbers of 10.9 points and 4.1 rebounds don't exactly scream out future All-Star.

But Bargnani played only 21.2 minutes per game -- what kind of numbers could we reasonably expect in that amount of playing time? Besides, Euroleague games are lower scoring to begin with -- they're eight minutes shorter and much slower-paced -- so it's extremely difficult for a player to average 20 points a game. In fact, nobody did it this year. The leading scorer in Euroleague play, former Maryland star Drew Nicholas, averaged 18.6.

So let's take Bargnani's numbers and compare them to those of his peers. He averaged 10.9 points in 21.2 minutes per game, or about 20.7 points per 40 minutes. Adjusting for the fact that his team played a slightly slower pace than the Euroleague average, that becomes 21.1. And of the 170 players to play at least 250 minutes in the Euroleague this season, only 12 averaged as many as 21.1 pace-adjusted points per 40 minutes. "

Basically, adjusting his stats shows he is already good.
Neb154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #33
CB4isJC
I airball my layups

On top of all that, he got those stats as a 20 year old (or less). The guy is going to be amazing.
CB4isJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #34
ice4000

Apart from perhaps on these message boards I dont think there has been any bargnani hype and I have spent hours looking for info about the guy. Most reports are pretty vague because very few people in canada or the states have seen him play much. Raptors fans are pretty optimistic because they are fans and they hope he will do well. Nothing wrong with that, but to say the guy is going to suck is kind of ignorant because a) you really dont know and b) 70% of the time the first overall pick turns out to be an all star. I am not saying that he is going to be great but as a raptors fan, i hope so.
ice4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:34 AM   #35
EJ NY 151
I airball my layups

first of all, there is not that much 'Bargnani hype'. You can't be sick of it because it's not there. It's one thing if you just don't think he will be a good player, but complaining about the attention he's getting makes no sense. I think there should be more focus on him. Nobody knows much about the #1 pick in the freakin NBA Draft...

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb154
"The leading scorer in Euroleague play, former Maryland star Drew Nicholas, averaged 18.6."

Lmao. does anyone else find this funny? Drew Nicholas?

Also a little discouraging. Now putting up Bargnani's numbers and per-minute averages look nice but against competition where Nicholas is the leading scorer??
EJ NY 151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:21 PM   #36
Durant Durant

Dirk Nowitzki and Pau Gasol and all the other great foreign players all played in leagues with little real NBA talent...I don't see the issue.
Durant Durant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #37
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

what makes u think Bargnani is playing 5 for raptors? They traded for nestor, bosh has been playing 5 here and there for the past 2 season, if i were the coach I would let him play 3 or 4. They have already said he's going to come off the bench plus he has the best showing out of all the rookies thus far in summer league, hit his first 3pt attemp, 20pts 4rbs 2 steals, look at what Lamarcus did? after his first summer league game scouts were saying he's lazy and very little confidence about his game heck PJ Tucker was the leading score and rebounder for the long horns last yr and this guy is pikced #2 overall? GG, GOOD GAME!!!
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #38
TheBigAristotle1
Serious playground baller

I would be a little nervous about the fact that his team only played him 21 minutes out of a 40 minute game. Thats the equivalent of an NBA player playing 26 mpg.....
TheBigAristotle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:00 AM   #39
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

1st: He didnt get much playing time in the first half of the season, his averages were much higher in the end, especially the playoffs.

2nd: The team he played on had to win. However good you are, on a team that needs to win, you have to prove you belong, especially when you are 20 years old. No matter how good you are, you wont get much playing time early on. And Bargnani then proved he belonged.

You're a stupid ignorant ass mofo. Really.
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #40
TheBigAristotle1
Serious playground baller

Thanks for completely missing the point.
TheBigAristotle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:29 PM   #41
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

I don't understand the threadstarter.

Bargnani is one of the least hyped #1 overall selections ever.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #42
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigAristotle1
You guys are missing the point, the point is this guy has shown nothing indicating that he has the personality/game that could make him a star. Some players are solid role players on any level, if you moved Bruce Bowen from the NBA to the NCAA how much better would he be? The #1 pick is reserved for guys who atleast have the potential to be superstars or franchise players. Has Barganni ever been a star player, a guy who ever dominated on any level? Or is he just a guy who was born to be a role player on any level he plays at?

And thats the bottom line, it is irrational to think Barganni could be a superstar, when he was never a star in a league far inferior to the NBA, and as far as I know wasn't really a huge star before going to the Italian League team.

There are a ton of NCAA "role players" who go to the NBA and have solid careers, Chris Duhon for example, also Andre Igoudala. There are very few guys who were average College players who go on to be NBA superstars. Corey Maggette is the only one I can think of, the jury is still out on Marcus Williams.

Maybe part of the problem is that you have seen the college players play a bunch of games but have not seen any games of Bargnani's.

I don't know if I would call Maggette a NBA superstar yet and I don't know if I would consider him an average college player. He only played one year and he was the sixth man on Duke. I believe 4 of the Duke starters were drafted the same year as Maggette. He was a player drafted with potential also. If he played one more season in college he would have been a starter and would have had a star season probably.

Last edited by huppcap : 07-13-2006 at 02:01 PM.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #43
marny_navis
Banned

I think Bargnani should be a 3. I don't think he will do bad, he just won't be a superstar. I look at him as someone like Vladimir Radmonovic. I don't believe the Dirk comparisons. I think his career will be similar to Gasol's. Great, but not mindblowing. A solid pick overall.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #44
gaydad
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
But you know what? I'm happy with Bargnani. He's a project, but he has a lot of potential. A
project my ass. Bargnani already has plenty of basketball skills
gaydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #45
gaydad
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
I don't understand the threadstarter.
you're excused: he doesn't make any sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Bargnani is one of the least hyped #1 overall selections ever.
exactly
gaydad is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: