Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 11-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #151
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

Quote:
"When Marvin plays better, it makes it easier for [everyone]," Jefferson said. "And when he gets back all the way, it’s going to steamroll because we have a hard-working team here."
Sadly he rarely plays well.

Quote:
Down the stretch against the Pelicans, Corbin used Williams at power forward. He was able to get some open looks as the defense reacted to drives by his teammates.

"He can space the floor," Corbin said. "… Big guys are taught, once the ball goes to the basket, they go to the basket, too. So Marvin will space the floor and allow the [other] guys a little more room."

Williams is one of five players who started the season with injuries. The others include Brandon Rush, Jeremy Evans, Trey Burke and Andris Biedrins. None of them played against New Orleans.

According to Jefferson, Williams’ return is a signal of better things to come.

"I can’t stress this enough," he said. "As Marvin gets back, as Brandon gets back, as Jeremy gets back, as Trey gets back and as Andris gets back, we’re going to become a more complete team."

We'll see. Someone else could be hurt by than.

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 11-15-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #152
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Is Garrett the missing piece for a Jazz championship? No, they are a long way away from that. If he can solidify the point guard position at least until the return of Trey Burke, he will have a spot in the heart of Jazz fans, at least until the milk he bought at Wal-Mart expires.

And maybe beyond. Unlike Burke he's actually shown something at the NBA and the D-League level.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #153
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Ira Winderman: All-Star ballot novelties from West: Enes Kanter, Markieff Morris, Derrick Williams, Isaiah Thomas. Twitter @IraHeatBeat
Old 11-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #154
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Jody Genessy: Gordon Hayward (bruised right shin) will play tonight. Twitter @DJJazzyJody
Old 11-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #155
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Steve Luhm: John Stockton on Trey Burke injury: "Might actually be a positive for him. A chance to sit there and learn." Twitter @sluhm

That goes against the theory that young guys have to pla y big minutes though.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #156
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Not long after telling media about how he learned of his new opportunity while shopping at Wal-Mart late Monday night, Garrett scored seven points, had five assists and played a key role in Utah’s first win of the 2013-14 season. “I was happy all night (Wednesday) night,” Garrett said, smiling before Thursday’s practice. “I won’t forget it.” Neither will his new team and fans. “Everybody in this locker room knew what he was capable of doing,” Jazz small forward Marvin Williams said. “He really stepped up. He was a monster (Wednesday). He was huge.” Deseret News
Old 11-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #157
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Steve Luhm: John Stockton on a future role w/Jazz: "I wouldn't rule anything out but I'm enjoying what I'm doing," like coaching 12-year-old son Sam. Twitter @sluhm

Still got a 12 year old!
Old 11-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #158
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

That first half is exactly why the Jazz were so eager to lock up Favors.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #159
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Looks like it might be starting to come together for him. The behind the back dribble was a surprise!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #160
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Alec Burks started at point guard and played the best ball he has played all year. He didn’t force, he got the team into the offense, he ran the offense. He was in control. He played very very well and his length had a nice impact on the team defensively.

He should be getting most of the minutes there. He's the best option easily.

Quote:
The Jazz played Richard Jefferson 43 minutes. This is the impact of Alec playing the point guard but I am not sure if Richard can hold up at 43 minutes a night.

Hopefully Rush will be back at some point and Burke can actually live up to the hype so Alec can go back to the wing.

Quote:
Neither Favors and Kanter shot a free throw that is the essence of Spurs defense
I respect the Spurs so much that anytime a player gets one thing or doesn’t get something he usually does I assume it is intentional. I think the Spurs were more concerned about Hayward’s play making tonight and they gave Hayward the mid range jumpers all night. Hayward couldn’t buy one. He went 0 for 8 in the 4th quarter. The Spurs wanted him taking these shots and he wasn’t able to make them play. It is similar to how the spurs played LeBron in the finals.
Marvin Williams played with a broken nose in the 2nd half.
Hayward had 9 rebounds, 8 on the defensive end.

That's what the good ones do. Even when they are having an off niht they do other things.

Quote:
I loved the 3:35 that Rudy Gobert gave the Jazz. He made a ton of mistakes and committed 3 turnovers which is a problem but he made an impact just being all over the place

Need to get him down to the D-League. When are Jeremy and Biedrins going to return?

Quote:
Jazz ended up shooting just 38.5% and the offense had no where to go in the 4th quarter. This is going to be season long

Wiggins!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #161
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
“Trey, in particular, has a great opportunity to learn where he’s not forced into the action," Stockton said. "Being hurt might actually be a positive for him because it gives him a chance to sit there (and watch)."

Stockton didn't become a full-time starter until he was a few years into his career, something he now appreciates.

“I know my first years sitting on the bench largely behind Rickey Green was a great learning tool for me," Stockton said. "(I) would recommend that for young guards, especially if teams can manage to do it … sit some of these highly valued guys coming out, give them a chance to see how the team works without being stuck in the fray.”

Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin agrees with his former teammate, who, by the way, dropped in for a quick visit while the team was going through shootaround Friday morning ahead of the Spurs game.

“We’ve had some good conversations with (Burke),” Corbin said. “I think that him seeing the struggles that we’ve had thus far from sitting and watching, he’s anxious to get back out there. We (try to) give him as many lessons as we can while he’s not on the floor, so when he gets on the floor we hopefully can cut the (learning) curve with him.”

Yep let them earn it and learn from vets. Stockton should have been starting from day 1 though. He was too good!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #162
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Burke and Alec Burks have talked about how much they enjoyed spending time with Stockton in Spokane, Wash., over the summer.

While in Utah on a book tour for his autobiography “Assisted,” Stockton pointed out that the feeling was mutual.

“I enjoyed my time with them,” Stockton said Friday during a press conference at EnergySolutions Arena. “It was a lot of fun for me. It was my treat really.”

The legendary point guard didn’t discuss specifics of the wisdom he shared with the Jazz youngsters, but he was impressed.

“They’re good, nice young men and they were both open ears, ready to learn and ready to hear whatever,” Stockton said. “Mostly what I did when they were there was babbled.”

What was the Hall of Fame babble about?

“We talked about certain plays and what they might see and what I would’ve done if I saw this, and then (I) just babbled,” Stockton said. “If there’s some wisdom in my experiences, hopefully they pick it up and it helps them.”

Stockton said he wasn’t consulted by the team before Utah acquired Burke. But he was willing to help out after the Jazz traded for the 2013 NCAA player of the year.

“I’m anxious to see him in a game,” Stockton said. “The environment I saw him in was a couple of guys up in an empty gym with me doing a lot of talking.”
Old 11-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #163
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Voting began for the 2014 All-Star Game starters on Friday. Jazz players Derrick Favors, Gordon Hayward and Enes Kanter were among the 120 players listed on the ballot, which is available on NBA.com/asb.

"I ain’t going to get excited unless I make it,” Favors said. “But it’s cool."

Burks deserves it too.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #164
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
“We ran out of gas,” Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said.

No bench with Burks starting.

Quote:
When you’re a four-cylinder vehicle with engine problems trying to compete against a souped-up Ferrari, that’s not a pleasant experience.

Despite taking a lead into the fourth quarter, the Jazz saw their one-game winning streak come to an end with a 91-82 loss to the San Antonio Spurs.

“I think we played real good basketball for the first three quarters,” Jazz center Enes Kanter said. “They are a really experienced team and the last quarter they just played harder.”

Utah led by as many as 15 points in the first half and took a 67-60 lead into the fourth quarter before wheels and other parts started falling off.

In the final 12 minutes, one team (the Spurs) looked like a 9-1 squad. The other (the Jazz) looked like a 1-9 club.

The Spurs, winners of seven straight, used a 12-2 run to open the fourth quarter to overtake Utah’s seven-point lead and hand the Jazz their ninth loss in 10 games.

Boris Diaw (17 points) began the momentum shift with a 3-pointer, Danny Green then added a couple of his own long bombs, and Tony Parker (22 points) completed a three-point play in the decisive stretch.

The Jazz reverted to their old selves, flailing in the fourth quarter while being outscored 31-15. Utah missed 16 of 23 shots in the period.

“All the guys played a little extra minutes tonight, and it cost us down the stretch,” Corbin said. “We’ll keep fighting.”

Alec Burks, starting in place of John Lucas III at the point guard position, was the only Jazz starter to play fewer than 32 minutes. Foul trouble limited him to 29 minutes, while small forward Richard Jefferson and shooting guard Gordon Hayward each played 43 minutes, power forward Derrick Favors logged 37 and Enes Kanter 32.

Favors led the Jazz in scoring with 20 points and in rebounding with a career-high 18 boards.

But Utah again struggled from the field, shooting just 38.5 percent. Hayward had the roughest offensive outing — a 5-for-23 night, including 1 for 7 from 3-point range, for 15 points.

Hayward, who’d been on a hot streak, didn’t blame his bruised right shin for his shooting woes.

“Just missed shots,” he said. “They were giving me wide-open shots and I was just missing them.”

While Diaw boosted a Spurs bench that scored 35, Utah’s second unit lacked offensive firepower. The Jazz subs only scored 11 points after Burks was moved into the starting lineup in place of struggling Lucas.

All five Jazz starters scored in double figures.

To small forward Marvin Williams’ credit, he kept going after getting elbowed in the face and suffering a broken nose. He played with a mask for a while but ditched it for his last shift.

Williams won’t have it reset until early next week, but he traveled for Saturday's game at Golden State. He hopes to be able to play even though his nose is noticeably caved in on the left side of the bridge.

“We’re getting better. We played a hard-fought game,” Williams said. “But that team is built for a championship and they’ve been in those situations before obviously. They hung in there and they made plays when they had to and they came out with a win.”
Old 11-16-2013, 07:33 AM   #165
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
at the moment, they’re terrible at midrange jumpers. They made just 8 outside of the point shots total. Worse, in the 2nd and 4th quarters, when the team scored 17 and 15 points respectively, the Jazz were just 1-21 from outside of the paint. The league-wide average 16-23 feet jumpers shots is 38%, so the Jazz underperformed relative to that. The more shots the Jazz take from outside, the more they doom their shooting percentage.

They redesigned the offense to take higher % shots either close to the basket or the corner 3 so it's not surprising they can't hit the mid range shots that were a huge part of the offense for so many years.

Quote:
just a week ago, the team was ranked 30th in Synergy in guarding the pick and roll ballhandler. Tonight, though, both the guards and bigs were terrific: the point guards (the 6’4′ Diante Garrett and the 6’6” Alec Burks) used their length to slow Parker down, as the bigs guarded the strong side with aplomb. As a result, the San Antonio offense often had to make the kind of weakside quick passes that key their success against good defensive teams, but the Jazz were reading those too, leading to 9 steals on the night for the Jazz. Credit to Corbin’s scheme.

Credit TY?

Quote:
Individually, Derrick Favors was stellar all night, doing an impressive job on both stopping Tim Duncan, including 2 blocks on the all-time great. Even better, he locked down the paint, preventing the Spurs from taking shots inside. Favors finished with 3 steals and 3 blocks, but his defense may have even been better than that. This was the kind of performance that Dennis Lindsey imagined when extending Favors two weeks ago.

3. Ty changed the rotations to mixed success.

Coach Corbin gave Alec Burks the first start of his NBA career tonight, which keyed a 29-16 Jazz advantage after the 1st quarter, which Burks played the entirety of. It was an impressive start for Burks, and the new look starting five, against the almost reigning-champs.

The problem with playing your best players in the 1st quarter, though, is that it tends to make your bench pretty weak. As the starters needed a break, the Jazz had to go to some really sketchy lineups out there. The best was a John Lucas III/Diante Garrett/Richard Jefferson/Mike Harris/Marvin Williams lineup that both defies understanding and would have been just incredibly unbelievable last season. Seriously, do you realize all that went wrong for the Jazz to even have those players? Here’s a recap:

John Lucas III had to be so remarkably terrible in Trey Burke’s absence that the team signed Jamaal Tinsley to replace his starting role, except that Tinsley was even worse, so the Jazz went and found Diante Garrett from the D-League just two days ago. Richard Jefferson’s career had to fall to the point where he was being traded along with 4 draft picks for a non-guaranteed contract, he’s got just a 9.1 PER now. Jeremy Evans got injured, somehow, and Andris Biedrins somehow had the most remarkable fall from grace of a young player ever in order to be included in the aforementioned trade, and then even got injured after that, so that the Jazz had to sign Mike Harris despite playing pretty poorly in his preseason appearances largely because he played a position of need.

Positions of need. He did the best in practice too they've said. I'd guess if healthy he'll been gone before his contract gets guaranteed though.

Quote:
Marvin Williams, of course, is a former second pick who then disappointed, the Jazz received him in exchange for Devin Harris, who disappointed the Jazz when they acquired him in exchange for Deron Williams. Deron Williams was the best player for the Jazz since Stockton and Malone, but his attitude was so poor that the Jazz felt that they had nearly no choice but to trade him. See how much has gone wrong?

Let’s just say that it’s not especially surprising that this lineup failed to score effectively. I’m in favor of playing your best players for more minutes, and starting Burks was the right move. But the rotations probably need to be managed so that this sort of lineup catastrophe doesn’t occur again.

Andy Larsen is the Managing Editor of Salt City Hoops, the ESPN TrueHoop affiliate for the Utah Jazz. He also hosts a radio show of the same name every Saturday on 1280 AM.

Not a lot of options until they get some more bodies in there.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: