Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #181
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

Quote:
The Alec Burks point guard experiment may be over. He went 0 for 5 and is now 11 for his last 36 . Moreover in the last two game Tyrone has pulled him forced to go back to Lucas and Garrett at the point, two players he clearly was hoping to only use in limited roles.

The GM obviously has different ideas.

Quote:
Jazz won 51-39 in the second half.

Another bad quarter killed them.

Quote:
Marvin Williams performance the last few nights has been really encouraging. He has been a spark, played hard, been a solid leader and been someone the Jazz can rely on as the season goes on.

We'll see. Funny how some players step up when they're in a contract year. How long until they put him in the starting line-up again?

Quote:
These guys need some good moments and I don’t know when those are possible with this schedule when it can happen. The next 4 are going to be super tough. Maybe a spark can come from the man they call Trey soon.
Doesn't sound like he will be back soon. Evans says soon. He might not play with Marvin playing the 4 though?

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 11-19-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #182
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Evans is apparently the closest to returning.

Wednesday’s game in New Orleans is a possibility for the 6-foot-9 forward, who has been out since injuring his rotator cuff in the preseason.

Evans smiled, held his index finger and thumb an inch apart and said “this close” when asked how close he’s getting after Monday’s shootaround. Evans has struggled lifting his right arm above his head for the past five weeks.

“He was a little bit more enthusiastic this morning, jumping around, getting more shots up, moving freer with his arm,” Corbin said. “It will be great to get a practice in with him (Tuesday). Hopefully he can go through a full practice and (we’ll) see where he is on Wednesday. He was a little bit more bouncy (Monday) in shootaround.”

Looking forward to seeing if he can be a rotation player in the league. He's played well when given the opportunity in the past and now has a shot to boot.

Quote:
Burke has been out since breaking his right index finger more than a month ago, but he’s made good strides since being allowed to do one-on-one workouts last week.

“He’s actually feeling a lot better. Hopefully (Tuesday) we can get him in some practice,” Corbin said. “I’m encouraged by his progress thus far and … how he said he’s feeling.”

Burke won’t be allowed to do five-on-five scrimmaging yet, but Corbin said the point guard can do limited contact drills. That is a big step forward in his progression to returning.

Burke, who had pins inserted into his shooting hand in a surgery five weeks ago, will be re-evaluated next Monday. In the meantime, Corbin’s curious to see how the 2013 NCAA player of the year responds to his increased practice participation.

“We’ll see where we go from there,” he said. “After the workout, we fly and see if he’s sore.”

As for Biedrins, the Jazz big is walking and running more comfortably now. He has been out since spraining his left ankle two days before the season opener. Corbin is hopeful the 7-footer will begin to practice again soon as well.

Get Gobert and Clark down to the D-League.

Quote:
Utah has also been without Brandon Rush, who played briefly in Brooklyn but has been rehabbing and working his way back into shape since that appearance last week. The shooting guard, who hadn’t played in a year after suffering a surgery-requiring ACL injury on Nov. 2, 2012, recently admitted he is still trying to learn the Jazz system.

“We’re just kind of waiting to see where and when we get the clearance to put him out there,” Corbin said.

The Jazz coach highly anticipates getting all four of those players into his rotation. His team has been short-handed all season.

“Once we get them back, we’ve got to get them in shape. We’ve got to get the cohesiveness with the group, so that process will take awhile,” Corbin said. “But just to have them all on the floor and have all the pieces that we thought we would have on the floor will give us a better chance.”

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody

Assuming no one else goes down in the meantime anyway.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #183
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
"I expected to be back by now," Rush said Monday night after coach Ty Corbin said the guard would not play against the Warriors. "But I tried that Brooklyn game and everything didn’t feel right. I’m just going to take my time until I feel comfortable. … The agreement was that I’m not going to play until I start getting more comfortable in practice in stuff."

In just the second game of the season last year, Rush was hit by Memphis’ Zach Randolph as he drove to the basket for a dunk. He hit the floor with a torn ACL that ended his season.

But Rush said his knee is not the problem right now.

"I think it’s just a mental thing right now," he said. "Everything else is physically fine. It’s just getting over that hump."

The 28-year-old Rush has shot over 40 percent from 3 in his career, and could provide some needed punch off the bench for the Jazz. But Rush said there is "an agreement … that I’m not going to play until I start getting more comfortable."

"I’m great," he said when asked about how he’s felt in practice. "I think I can go out there and play some valuable minutes. I just don’t want to go out there thinking too much. When you think too much that’s when you have another injury, another setback."

Does he think he's Derrick Rose or something?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #184
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Jody Genessy: Jazz F Marvin Williams will have a surgery to have his broken nose reset today. He won't travel for New Orleans game. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Perfect time for Jeremy Evans to return!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #185
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Steve Luhm: Jazz announce Trey Burke participated in practice today but won't play Wednesday at New Orleans. Twitter @sluhm

Steve Luhm: Jazz forward Jeremy Evans (rotator cuff) also practiced but won't play against the Pelicans. Twitter @sluhm
Old 11-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #186
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Mark Jackson on Favors: “Big-time talent and ability to rebound the basketball, shoot the basketball, which is underrated. Ability to post up. He’s a big, lively body. He’s certainly taken advantage of the opportunity to learn from guys like (Al) Jefferson and (Paul) Millsap. He’s taken off running.”

Jackson on Hayward: “I like him a lot. His ability to make plays. (He) can play really three positions, the one, two and three — can put them in pick-and-roll situations, can defend all those positions. Has a high IQ. He’s a guy who’s going to have to be dealt with for a long time to come.”

G played the 4 briefly at least once this year too. Can definitely see him spending time there in the future.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:42 AM   #187
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Corbin has seen his players become less aggressive after picking up early fouls.

“We’ve got to play through that. We can’t afford to pull back,” Corbin said. “We’ve got to play with everything we have and lay it all on the line. … We can’t afford to save fouls. We’ve got to play. If you get a couple of fouls and I leave you on the floor, play aggressive.”

Because of the short-handed situation, Corbin said he needs his main guys to play longer stretches. It makes it tough, however, when they play timidly to avoid getting into bigger foul trouble.

“When we’re aggressive, we’re fine,” he said. “But when we pull back, it’s difficult.”

Getting healthy will help if they do. Evans is close to being back and Marvin has surgery.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #188
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
It’s possible both Trey Burke, considered a Rookie of the Year candidate after the Jazz traded for him this summer, and high-flying Jeremy Evans will see limited action as early as Friday or Sunday.

Neither Burke nor Evans will be available Wednesday night when the Jazz play the Pelicans at New Orleans Arena, but both players went through a full-speed practice Tuesday for the first time since they were injured.

While that is an encouraging development, the Jazz will be without a player who's been one of their most effective in recent outings in this rematch with the only team they've beaten this season.

Forward Marvin Williams remained in Salt Lake City to undergo a surgical procedure to have his broken nose reset Tuesday afternoon. He’ll also be fit for a face mask that he’ll wear for protection upon his return.

“I’m not a big fan of … going to sleep,” Williams said, “so I’m a little nervous.”

Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin has had big praise for Williams, who returned to the court after his nose was broken Friday against the Spurs and in the next two games.

Williams has scored double digits in three of four games and is finding a groove in his new role as a stretch four now that he’s returned from his offseason Achilles tendon surgery.

“I tell you what, he’s really embraced the role. He’s happy to be back. We’re happy to have him back. We’re going to miss him (Wednesday),” Corbin said. “It just shows his toughness, playing the last few games with a broken nose and needs surgery to be repaired and doing everything he can to help us win.”

Williams’ situation is just the way it’s gone for the Jazz this fall.

This hasn’t only been a season of rebuilding, developing and, well, losing for the new-look team.

It’s also been a season of injuries for this struggling squad.

While the Jazz decided to move toward a youth movement, letting four of their five top scorers from last year go elsewhere, Corbin’s job has been even more difficult due to medical issues. He’s been without rotation players like Burke, Evans, Williams, Brandon Rush (knee rehab) and Andris Biedrins (ankle) for various reasons. Neither Rush nor Biedrins will play Wednesday.

When asked about the ongoing short-handed situation before Monday’s 11th loss in 12 games, Corbin admitted, “I’m very anxious to get everything that we have on the floor.”

Burke has been the biggest injury absence.

Again that remains to be seen. A healthy Rush is a proven asset. Biedrins has proven he can still hit the boards and protect the rim. Marvin has shown he can bring it at times. Evans has done well when called upon. Burke has proven he was a great college player in a watered down NCAA.

Quote:
The Jazz traded two first-round picks to Minnesota for the coveted point guard on Draft Day in June. The No. 9 pick, who just turned 21, was the team’s starting point guard before smacking his hand into Chris Paul and fracturing his finger during a preseason game on Oct. 12.

Point guard John Lucas III called it “a minor setback for a major comeback,” and the Jazz sure hope their veteran is right. Utah has had all sorts of problems with the playmaker position, using three different starters, signing and waiving Jamaal Tinsley, calling up Diante Garrett from the D-League and having Alec Burks play out of position.

Burke averaged 9.5 points on 33.3 shooting and 4.0 assists in his two full preseason games before going out with the injury.

So what is all the hype about than?

Quote:
Corbin has warned that it will take awhile for returning players to get up to full speed and for the team to fully mesh.

Williams is a good example. He had a rough go at first after playing for the first time on Nov. 8 since his June surgery, but he’s coming off of a season-high 16 points in Monday’s loss. He’s only averaging 7.6 points, which is rising, but he’s hit 45.5 percent from 3-point range in his seven games.

“I’ve never questioned his competitiveness for us and the fact that he wanted to do whatever he can to help us win,” Corbin said. “He’s playing well for us now. He’s playing a bigger role for us.”

As long as the Jazz are struggling and losing, however, Williams won’t be fully satisfied with his performance. He even refused to call his recent success bittersweet because of the three-game losing streak.

“There’s nothing sweet about it. I have to be 100 percent honest. I don’t even care how I’m playing personally,” Williams said. “Losing every other night is very frustrating. Hopefully we just continue to work hard and get better and kind of get off this slide.”

Williams hopes to rejoin the Jazz in either Dallas or Oklahoma City. He can’t travel for 24 hours after his surgery and his return will be dictated on his nose’s swelling and comfort levels.

“Usually I bounce back pretty quickly,” he said. “Hopefully, I do and I’ll be able to catch up with them after.”

So they could be at 13 players! The other two I imagine shouldn't be far behind.

Quote:
The injury happened in the first half against the Spurs when Tim Duncan elbowed him in the face. Williams returned that night and has played with a temporary mask at times.

“Honestly, it’s kind of sucked,” he said, “because my biggest fear was getting hit again.”

That happened Monday when Warriors power forward David Lee accidentally popped him in the face.

“It probably hurt more last night,” he said, “than the first time when I actually did it.”

Williams kept playing and doesn’t plan on missing much action.

“It’s unfortunate, man. But I’ve been around long enough to know things like this happen. I know how to bounce back from them,” Williams said. “Obviously, I’ve done it with my Achilles. I’ve done it with my back before, so when I get back in I’ll just try to continue to do the things I’ve been doing.”

The Jazz can’t wait to get Burke and Evans back to doing what they do, too.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody

What is it Burke does? I've been reading he's going to solve their shooting woes with his 33%.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #189
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Because of the point guard struggles, Gordon Hayward has been given the ball in his hands, leading the Jazz in assists per game at 4.4. Looking at some of the new, fancy SportVU stats and throwing on a couple of filters—playing 9+ games so far and averaging 20+ minutes per game, Gordon Hayward is in the top 25 of assist opportunities (passes by a player to a teammate in which the teammate attempts a shot, and if made, would be an assist). Who are the forwards in that top 25? Gordon Hayward and LeBron James. While that’s been made necessary by the lack of good point guard play, it also shows how well-rounded Hayward’s game has become, as he’s been filling up the stat sheet.

Think that was the plan all along.

Quote:
When Burke comes back, having two very good playmakers on the floor can only help an offense that has been bogged down with too few passers.
Is he a very good playmaker though?

Quote:
When your starting point guard (counting Lucas, since he’s started more games at PG than anyone else) has fewer assists per game (1.8 APG) than your starting power forward (Derrick Favors, 1.9 APG), you’re going to have problems on offense.

The bigger problem is Lucas hasn't been hitting open shots. With the ball in G's hands the 1 needs to hit open shots and play d. He's looked better the past couple of games.

Quote:
Admittedly, Favors plays more minutes per game (34 MPG), but that’s still a glaring stat. I don’t care how good of a passer a power forward is—and the Jazz had several here through the years, with Malone, Boozer, and Millsap each being excellent passers out of the post—a starting point guard should never be anywhere close to their assist numbers.

It's not Jerry's Jazz anymore. The game has changed.

Quote:
You know it’s bad when everyone is waiting with baited breath for the rookie point guard who hasn’t shot well yet since making the jump to the pros—the same one who shot 1-19 from three and 24.1% from the field in summer league. But what Trey Burke gives up in shooting abilities (though his TS% as a sophomore was 56.9% and his eFG% was 53.0%), he can hopefully compensate by bringing his playmaking game. His freshman year at Michigan, he averaged 4.6 assists per game, and he increased that to 6.7 assists per game his sophomore year, even though he played slightly less each game (36.1 mpg to 35.3 mpg). His assist percentage started at 28.7% his freshman year and shot up to 37.3% his sophomore year, tops in the Big Ten. With his playmaking abilities and assuming he finds his shot better than Tinsley, Burks, Lucas III, or Garrett—and I think it’s safe to say that shouldn’t be too hard of a task—we’ll start to see a better offense once gets back into game shape and gets up to speed. At the very least, things can only look up, right?
The good news is at the very least they will be losing while he gets experience. With Lucas they are losing with someone who doesn't have much of a future with the Jazz
Old 11-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #190
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Asked about teams losing on purpose in pursuit of better draft picks, Richard Jefferson shook his head.

"You can ask Boston and San Antonio about that," he said.

Boston finished with a 15-67 record in 1997, partly because of intentional losses late in the season. The Celtics had the best chance to get the coveted No. 1 pick, future Hall of Famer Tim Duncan.

San Antonio instead got lucky. Its 20-62 season was rewarded with the top pick — Duncan.

"Boston tanked ... and it didn’t work out for them," Jefferson said. "You just don’t do that. You don’t ever want to put young guys you’ve invested in into a mindset of losing. You want to win as many games as you can because it’s a state of mind."

agreed
Old 11-20-2013, 03:13 AM   #191
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
About the Pelicans » They have played once since last Wednesday’s 111-105 loss in Utah. ... In that one game, F Ryan Anderson returned from a season-long injury and scored 26 points in a 135-98 win over Philadelphia.

He should make a difference and Marvin out for the Jazz.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:16 AM   #192
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
"Trey’s a young guy that’s got a lot of pressure on his shoulders," he said. "But we can’t put everything on him. He’ll help us, but it’s not just him. It will have to be everybody."

He's the savior from what I've read.

Quote:
It will be like the start of training camp for Burke when he returns. He was injured in a preseason game against the Los Angeles Clippers on Oct. 12 when he accidentally slapped hands with All-Star Chris Paul.

Burke underwent surgery four days later and had been limited to conditioning, ball-handling work and shooting until Tuesday’s practice.

"There will be an adjustment period when everybody comes back," Corbin said. "But we just have to keep working and not put too much pressure on one or two guys."

The Jazz selected Burke with the No. 9 overall pick in last summer’s draft. They sent the rights to the 14th and 21st picks to Minnesota to move up and get him.

After Burke’s injury, however, Corbin has been forced to mix-and-match at point guard. His quarterbacks include John Lucas III, Diante Garrett and Alec Burks, a natural shooting guard. The Jazz waived Jamaal Tinsley last week to make room for Garrett.

Corbin has been "disappointed" by Utah’s production at point guard, although the Jazz received a huge lift from Garrett in Monday night’s 98-87 loss to Golden State.

Trailing 68-40 less than three minutes into the second half, Corbin replaced Burks with Garrett. He quickly scored eight points and handed out two of his five assists during a 17-2 run as Utah fought its way back into the game.

"I was just trying to be aggressive," Garrett said. "Coach wanted me to go out and be aggressive and not think so much. ... [He] talked to me about playing with confidence and being loose out there — to attack."

Garrett scored four points on 2-for-13 shooting in his previous two games. He committed four turnovers and handed out three assists.

"I thought he pushed the ball," Corbin said. "It was good to see him fight his way back — a good effort for him."

Old 11-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #193
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The Jazz’s worst road record in the Utah-era of the franchise is 7-34, set in 1979-80 and 1981-82.

Looking likely they'll smash that record.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:24 AM   #194
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
If Hayward is the leader and the go-to player, he can't disappear in some quarters like he has done. He scored 12 in the first quarter against the Warriors and ended with 18.

Amazing he's done as well as he has really with little help. If I'm the other team the whole game plan is to stop G until someone else shows they can bring in consistently which Favors is starting to finally show signs of being able to do.

Quote:
Favors had 10 points and seven rebounds, while Kanter went 4-of-12 from the field for eight points and six rebounds.

Richard Jefferson went 2-of-9 from the field and didn't add much else on the stat sheet.

Alec Burks hasn't found his shot early in the year. Going from the sixth man to the starting point guard hasn't given him time to settle into anything, but he needs to become whatever he is for the Jazz to succeed.

Does Diante Garrett become the new starting point guard and the heart of the team?

Probably as sad as that is.

Quote:
Is Marvin Williams better served as a starter with his shooting numbers from outside?

hell no!!!!!

Quote:
Should Ian Clark get some run, or Rudy Gobert?

Yes in the D-league soon.

Quote:
Who are the Jazz? No matter what the Jazz's long-term plans are they need to find out who they are or they will find themselves rebuilding for years instead for just a season.

Read more at http://www.ksl.com/
Old 11-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #195
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
David Locke: BREAKING - Trey Burke is available to play tonight for Jazz V. New Orleans. Tip off at 6 mtn Twitter @Lockedonsports

David Locke: Jeremy Evans also is available for the Jazz tonight Twitter @Lockedonsports

Hope Burke is ready. D-League rehab stint might make sense for someone that hasn't even showed he can play at this level.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: