Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 11-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #211
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

Quote:
REJOINING JAZZ: Forward Marvin Williams underwent surgery to reset his broken nose Thursday in Utah. He also had a specialized mask made to protect his nose, which was injured a week ago against the Spurs.

Williams was expected to fly to Dallas to meet up with the team. It’s possible he’ll play tonight against the Mavericks. Corbin said the team could use the 6-foot-9 forward defensively against rangy 7-footer Dirk Nowitzki.

“Marvin would come in handy,” Corbin said.

Favors on Dirk? Maybe Evans some.
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #212
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Evans could possibly play both forward positions for spells. Power forward has been where he’s logged the most time thus far in his career. While his slight frame causes issues inside–he can get pushed around and sometimes accrues fouls as a result–his speed and agility partially compensate. For him to play the small forward spot, Evans will have to evolve a bit. In the summer league and preseason, Evans displayed a much-improved jump shot, though his handle is a bit spotty. He will need to show that he can keep defenses honest if he is to assume some time at the three.

Ideally he'll be able to play some 3 but I haven't heard much talk about him being able to do that yet anyway.

Quote:
The Jazz’s front court depth could lead to Evans seeing an increased role. As expected, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter are getting the lion’s share of playing time. Richard Jefferson has had a mini rejuvenation, but has not been consistent. Marvin Williams’ return has helped and he’s seen time as a stretch four. Mike Harris has been a surprise, but is limited. Given this line-up, Evans could demand minutes once he gets more into game-shape and could quickly take the time that Harris has been given. It’ll then be up to him to demonstrate what he is capable of in a more expansive role.

This season has been branded by some as a season of discovery– a chance to see what each player on the roster can do. Every individual on the team has or will assume a new niche in the rotation, and Jeremy Evans is not an exception. Will he become a rotational player? We will find out over the coming months.

Marvin, Jefferson, Rush and Biedrins could all be traded at some point too. Harris will probably be gone within another month or so. I imagine they'd like to play Jefferson a lot less minutes than he's been playing as well.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #213
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Marvin Williams has been super this year. He told me at the start of the year the achillies bothered him most of the year last year but on a new team he didn’t want to miss time. He looks like a different player this year. He adds a tremendous amount to this team and his leadership has been terrific.
If you look at the Jazz line-up numbers the only line-ups that are working offensively include Marvin at 4 and the Jazz using Marvin as a 4.

2 words-contract year!

Quote:
Garrett seems vital as well .

And why isn't he playing more?

Quote:
The Favors/Kanter combo that couldn’t score last year can’t score again this year. Last year, it was predominately against 2nd tier talent and this year it is against starters

Miss Millsap!

Quote:
Hayward was a shadow of his usual self to open the game off his 1 for 17 night and was 0 for 2 in the first half. Only 2 shots in the 1st half and had been taking 16 shots a game. Finally, he got an open look from his sweat spot the right wing three and he buried it. From that point on he returned to being Gordon. I wonder if he is going to change his game and not force this offensively like he has been. The team needs him to score but going 1 for 17 isn’t going to do anyone any good.

Hopefully getting healthy won't put so much pressure on him as he gets more help.

Quote:
Interesting move by Dallas in the first half they matched Dalembert on Favors and Dirk on Kanter. This means they were more worried about the offensive game of Favors than Kanter as the Mavericks want to hide Dirk on the defensive end. Kanter went 0 for the first half and never was able to take it to Dirk.
Kanter in 4 of his last 5 games has taken 1 or fewer free throws. Kanter is also just 23 of his last 55 from the field.
The Jazz are really struggling to score when Kanter and Favors are on the floor together.
Very early for this but Jazz offensive rating based on Point Guard on the floor – Garrett 110.1; Burke 101 and Lucas 88.2. Lots of this is impacted by who you are playing with
Jazz started the second half with Trey Burke, Gordon, Jefferson, Marvin Williams and Favors. Might be time to go with that to create some offense. Hard for Marvin to guard a lot of the 4’s night in and night out. Marvin v. Ibaka and Boozer the next two nights but that becomes Blake and Gasol at some point.

If they were going to bench Kanter why not bring back Millsap?

Quote:
Derrick Favors has been solid and consistent.

Going to need more than that from him for 12 mill a year!

Quote:
Alec Burks made some shots tonight.

Off to OKC where it is not getting an easier .

Posted in Emptying the Noggin
Old 11-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #214
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Garrett, who didn’t play in the first half, dished out eight assists and scored seven points in a spirited 16-minute second-half effort.

He needs to be playing!

Quote:
Utah hit 50 percent of its shots for only the second time this season.

Quote:
EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
Old 11-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #215
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Carlisle on Hayward:

“He’s always aggressive. He’s their best player. He’s their leading scorer, so he’s going to be aggressive. We’ve got to be aggressive with him.

Especially got to be aggressive when they have no one else that has shown they can step up.

Quote:
“You’ve got to keep the best players from getting going if you can. It’s hard to do that in this league. We’ll make every attempt. They’ve got other guys that can hurt you, too. They’ve got big guys inside. They’ve got (John) Lucas making shots now. They’ve got Burke back.”

Carlise on Burke:

“Everybody watched him in the NCAA, what he did. He got in the other night and was 5-for-7. He’s going to be aggressive. He’s a very well-rounded scorer. He can score really from anywhere on the court. He’s a threat anytime he touches the ball.”

Carlisle compared Burke to Thunder point guard Russell Westbrook:

“He’s good. He’s from a great program and he’s got a great opportunity to play for these guys. He’s going to come in there with guns blazing.”

Carlisle on Burke’s size (6-1):

“He didn’t look small on TV in the game that I watched, the last game. The small guys have advantages, too. They’re lower to the ground, so they can get through little holes and get places, and they’re quick. Guys like him are resourceful. They find ways to make it to their advantage.”
Westbrook?

Quote:
Carlisle on the struggling Jazz, who have lost four straight:

“Teams that are 1-12 are desperate and teams that are desperate are always dangerous. In the NBA, you’ve got to play 48 minutes.”

Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #216
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Jody Genessy: X-rays on Gordon Hayward's right knee cap were negative, showed he has a contusion. Twitter @DJJazzyJody
Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #217
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
One day — he doesn't have the exact timeline — Reed envisions 30 push-pins: one D-League team for every NBA team. "One of the things we're very focused on is how do we meet that demand," Reed told USA TODAY Sports. "It's the ultimate good problem to have. I do think there will be eventually 30 teams. I do think every NBA team will have their own exclusive D-League affiliate. USA Today Sports

"What we're most excited about it that we're really beginning to thrive as a farm system for the NBA," Reed told USA TODAY Sports. USA Today Sports

It's needed like baseball ideally or at least hockey.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #218
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
"It’s good for the young guys to see," the coach said. "In this league, after the first week or two of the season, something’s always bothering you. You have a little nagging thing here, something there. If you let it bother you, you can say you can’t play.

"But in this league, in order to be successful, you have to play with things when you’re not 100 percent," he added. "… I think the young guys are seeing that in him."

Contract year. Look at Jefferson too.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #219
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Trey Burke could start for the first time in his professional career Sunday night in Oklahoma.

Not sure what the rush is. Garrett looks like the guy to start now if getting off to a hot start is what they want.

Quote:
That might not be the only tweak Utah Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin makes to his first unit, which has consistently struggled during the team’s 1-13 start.

Enes Kanter might not start. Marvin Williams may return to being a starter. Or something else could be decided.

Now that pisses me off! Might has well have brought Millsap back if Kanter was going to get benched for Marvin.

Quote:
“We may look at changing some things,” Corbin said.

Going forward is a concept the Jazz are hoping to embrace soon after going backward in the first half of so many games this season. That happened again Friday night when the Jazz found themselves behind the Dallas Mavericks by 28 points near the end of the first half.

During the break, Corbin made two personnel switches, inserting Burke and Williams in with the starters and putting point guard John Lucas III and Kanter on the bench.

Lucas has been playing better but he should be at the end of the bench with the way Garrett has played.

Quote:
The lineup change was among the things that sparked the Jazz to mount a big comeback attempt, pulling within five points of the coasting Mavs with less than five minutes remaining of an eventual 103-93 loss.

Don’t be surprised if Burke returns to his preseason role as starter and if Williams begins this game against the Thunder as power forward along with shooting guard Gordon Hayward, small forward Richard Jefferson and center Derrick Favors.

“Everything’s open right now,” Corbin said. “We seem to flow better with that group. … In the beginning of the third quarter, the ball moved better; our bodies moved better; and we got a chance to get back into the game.”

Was even better with Garrett in the game though.

Quote:
They’re two of the Jazz’s top three scorers, but Kanter (14.1 ppg) and Favors (13.6 ppg) just aren’t meshing together very well on the court at the same time. While the Jazz have lost their 13 games by an average of 11.1 points, the team is being outscored by 20.3 points per game during the time when Favors and Kanter are out there together.

“It’s not flowing as well as I thought it would,” Corbin said. “Because of being short-handed, we’ve stuck with it a little bit. … If we make the change, we can always come back to it. Some nights it’s the best thing for us.”

But isn’t this rebuilding season about letting the young guys flounder and flourish with new playing opportunities?

Corbin insisted that will continue to happen.

“That’s one of the major focuses of why we are where we are — for those guys to play and develop,” Corbin said. “But you want to try and have a chance to win as much as you can while you’re in that process. You want to do everything you can to have a chance to win while you’re developing.”

Unless you are the front office. Guys don't have to start to develop.

Quote:
Some development has happened so far, but chances to win have been rare through the first 14 games.

Corbin is hoping this change will give Favors more opportunities with Williams’ ability to take opposing big men out of the paint because of his outside shooting. The Jazz coach is also looking forward to seeing what Kanter can do off the bench.

“It’s still the priority,” Corbin said of that development element of this season. “We just want to have a chance to win the game while we do it.”

That unit that started the second half — and could be out there for Sunday's tipoff — didn’t play for long. But the spacing and effort were enough to impress Corbin while also opening the court up for Hayward to snap out of his funk.

“It spreads the floor and allows there just to be a lot more space for everybody,” Hayward said. “We got a couple of more open looks. Defensively, we got some steals that led to some easy buckets in transition for us.”

Another aspect of a potential lineup shift is that Burke continues to be cleared for more playing time. He logged 12 minutes in his first game and 20 minutes Friday after sitting nearly six weeks with a broken finger on his shooting hand.

“He’s coming along,” Corbin said of the No. 9 pick in June’s draft. “He’s working his way back into shape. He’s getting a better understanding.”

Burke will be the Jazz’s fourth starter at point guard this season whenever he makes that inevitable move. This would also be the fourth different starting unit Utah has used. Incidentally, the Jazz won their only game a week ago Wednesday against New Orleans with the current first five of Lucas, Hayward, Jefferson, Favors and Kanter.

Considering the team trailed by 28 points early in two games this past week, something clearly has to change.

They also played a good game at NO.

Quote:
“We’ve got to get off to better starts,” Corbin said. “We‘re digging ourselves in such a hole, as I told the guys, ‘It’s encouraging to see the fight, to fight back, when we got down, but let’s try not to get down so much and by so many points.’”

Old 11-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #220
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

“The guy’s hot,” Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. “We’ve got to make sure we get him more shots if he’s going to be perfect.”

Which raises a question: Why is anybody else on the Jazz even shooting?

Corbin and Gordon Hayward, Evans’ best buddy on the team, smiled when asked that light-hearted question before Saturday’s practice.

“That’s a good question,” Hayward said. “We should just let him shoot all the shots, and we’ll be all right.”

Added Corbin: “I don’t think anybody should shoot except for him at this point.”

That isn’t the only question being asked about Evans, who’s mostly been known in the NBA for being the 2012 Slam Dunk champion.

Warriors power forward David Lee recently asked Evans, “When did you start knocking down jumpers?”

Hayward has seen it since the two joined the Jazz in 2010.

“I knew this from Day 1,” he said. “From Year 1, we shot every day after practice. He just didn’t really shoot those shots back then. Now he‘s stepping up shooting them with confidence and playing really well.”

Evans’ basketball coach in at Crossett High School in Arkansas also knew he was more than just an athletic leaper. The 26-year-old has been told he needs to shoot more since he was a teenager.

Judging early results, including Friday's 7-for-7 outing, it’s about time he listened.

“It started with my high school coach,” Evans said. “I’ve been told to shoot the ball from Day 1. It’s finally clicking.”

Evans has gotten so used to doing non-scoring things — defense, rebounding, blocking shots — he figured that was the best way to use his talents.

“There are a lot of guys that can shoot it, but not a lot of guys can jump as high as I do,” Evans said. “Mainly, I was always focusing on rebounding the ball because a lot of other players are going to take shots. I feel like that was a good way to help the team.”

Since camp started, Corbin has been enthusiastic about giving Evans more chances to contribute after his sporadic appearances.

“I’m really excited for him to have the opportunity for him to play more this year and to see how he’s blossomed,” Corbin said. “He’s shown that so far to be true. The time he’s on the floor, he makes good things happen, not only for himself, but the way he plays it helps the team because of his energy.”

Evans’ ever-showing mid-range game is only a bonus. He’s hit more jumpers than dunks this season.

“It felt pretty good,” Evans said of his Friday dunks, which included one alley-oop from John Lucas III. “But I think the jumpers feel a lot better.”

How ironic that Evans has been hitting jumpers — and everything — while Hayward struggled through a 1-for-17 game Wednesday and Friday’s scoreless first half.

“It was just good to see the ball go in in the second half,” said Hayward, who scored all 13 points in the Jazz’s second-half rally Friday. “I’m trying to move forward from it.”

Evans couldn't be happier.

“It’s big time, because I told him the other night I don’t like seeing him down and in a slump,” Evans said. “He wouldn’t even talk to me.”

Evans said he repeated a familiar message to Hayward on Wednesday: “Just keep shooting it, because he always tells me (that).”

Old 11-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #221
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Jonathan Rinehart: X-rays performed on Enes Kanter's right ankle were negative. He has a right ankle sprain and will be re-evaluated Monday morning. Twitter @jonrinehart

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 11-25-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #222
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Jody Genessy: Trey Burke said he almost has full mobility in right index finger. "I’m still trying to get it to cooperate with me." Mostly feels good. Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Looks like they should have left him on the bench.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:13 AM   #223
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
I don’t think anyone thought we would spend so much time down double digits and at time 20 points or more.

Shouldn't be surprising. It was quite obvious with the Lucas and later Tinsley and now Garrett signings that they were tanking hard.

Quote:
What I didn’t consider was how a team where every guy, other than Marvin and Richard, is being asked to play a role they have never player before would react to losing. Marvin and Richard have experience everything this league has to throw at them and they are not surprisingly the most consistent of the bunch. On the other hand, the young guys haven’t experienced this before and therefore don’t have any reference point on how to get out of it and what to do next.

Let’s take Gordon Hayward for example he is in the doldrums right now. He is being asked to do more than he has ever been asked before and time will tell if he can figure out this role or if it is too much for his game. But for the time being he wants desperately to fix everything that is wrong and doesn’t know how. He doesn’t have a reference point of when this happened last time. They are different players but it is worth noting Kevin Durant went through the exact same stretch his first year and he eventually got out of it. Now he can go back to that when he has a few tough nights and know we will get out of it. Hayward will get out this and will have strong stretches this season. Four years from now Hayward will have a bad stretch and he will be able to go back to the experience of getting out of past slumps and in turn will get out it faster. Right now, however, this last longer because he doesn’t know the answer.

I expect him to finish strong. Has every year in the league.

Quote:
If you look back at this game the Jazz defended very well early. They just couldn’t make a shot. They hit only 2 of 15 to start the night. They held the Thunder in check pretty well and for the quarter had a defensive rating of 90 which is excellent. They trailed by 9 and the game stayed right there for most of the 2nd quarter. Then the Jazz went dry from the 6:00 mark to 1:00 they went 3 for 12 and had two turnovers. The frustration was obvious watching the guys on the floor and they lost their spunk. They lost their confidence and the Thunder put it on a 15-6 run and the game was over.

In the third quarter the analogy I used on the air was they looked like a golfer who had sliced his last 4 drives out of bounds and was sitting on the tee box just hoping. Rather than rearing back and ripping that drive you trying to coax it onto the fairway and you start to play defensively without any belief. That is what they Jazz looked like in the third quarter. They just don’t have belief and without the experience of how to get out of these struggles it is a nasty combo.

Jeremy Evans played his third straight sold game and looks like he belongs in an NBA rotation. Next step is to stretch his range out a little to a three point range but his 6 rebounds were terrific and he continues to impress

He's always played well when called upon. Let's see if he'll be able to make adjustments when teams figure out how to slow him down before we call him a rotation player though.

Quote:
Alec Burks had a nice 4th quarter going 3 for 3 after 0 for 5 in the first three quarters

We have played the most games and the most road games in the NBA. We have had a depleted roster with limited experience and we have played games against the best in the league. There are few teams that would be “winnable” games but we haven’t had many against those teams yet this year. It is a convergence of lots of things swirling right now.
Lots will be learned in the upcoming weeks (which don’t get a lot easier) and I am excited to see the growth and experience that our players will get out of these tough times. These are good guys. That is very important in times like this.
LASTLY I ALMOST FORGOT – HOW ABOUT RUDY’S BLOCK AND COAST TO COAST DUNK !!!!

Posted in Emptying the Noggin

Looks like Rudy was one of the few to play well. Might need more of it if Enes is out!
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #224
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Burke, who missed his first four shots and finished with four points and four assists Sunday, puts some of the responsibility on him to get the Jazz offense flowing.

“I don’t think I did a good enough job of getting guys organized early on,” he said, “and it kind of got sloppy a little bit out there.”
I'd say let him prove himself against reserves before putting him in the starting line-up. Garrett has been playing better.

Quote:
Very sloppy for the starters.

Not one Jazz starter scored in double figures. Burke and Gordon Hayward (five points) each missed 7 of 9 shots; Derrick Favors and Jefferson both had eight points; and Marvin Williams scored four points.

Marvin sucked as a starter last year. Played better off the bench. Leave him there! Try Evans.

Quote:
That’s a total of 29 points for the Jazz starters.

Utah’s reserves, led by 10 apiece from Enes Kanter and Rudy Gobert, combined for 44 points, including a 30-point fourth quarter.

The offensive highlight of the game came in that final stanza.

With 1:53 remaining, Gobert blocked Ryan Gomes’ shot by the 3-point line, grabbed the ball, dribbled the length of the court and finished off the highlight-reel sequence with a left-handed slam while being fouled.

Oh la la!

“Jeremy taught me that,” he said.

That was a reference to an oft-replayed Jeremy Evans preseason highlight from 2012 when the Jazz forward blocked a Ronny Turiaf shot and then slammed the ball over Gobert’s French compatriot.

Gobert, who had a career-high 10 points, asked if he considered passing the ball. “I thought about it, and then I said, ‘Go!’ I got one occasion to do it.”
Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #225
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
NOTES: Kanter sprained his ankle in the second half on defense and left the game. X-rays were negative but he will be re-evaluated before Monday’s game. … Kanter on coming off the bench after starting the first 14 games: "It don’t matter. Coming from the bench or starting five, you just play for the Jazz." … Evans hit his first shot, which put him at 12 for 12 for the season, before his 13th attempt rattled out. That was the first time an NBA player has hit 12 straight field goals to start the season since Vancouver’s Tony Massenburg made his first 13 shots of the 1998-99 season, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Is Biedrins almost ready?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: