Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 11-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #226
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

Thunder coach Scott Brooks is one who’s happy to see Garrett back in the league, especially because he found a new team after being cut by OKC last month. Brooks said Garrett had a “good” showing in late September and October while trying to return to the league after his 19-game stint with Phoenix last year.

“He left a good imprint on his style of play. I thought he hustled. He has just a lot of good energy,” Brooks said. “It just didn’t work out for us, but we knew he was an NBA player and would get picked up. I’m glad he got picked up early.”

Two nights after his career-high eight-assist outing in Dallas, Garrett returned to Chesapeake Energy Arena to play against his short-term teammates. The reserve scored seven points with two assists.

“I came pretty close (to making the Thunder). I had a good opportunity to make the squad. I think I did pretty good,” Garrett said. “I know it’s a business and a lot of things go along with it. I understood what happened.”

Though Garrett said it was going to be “fun” to play in OKC, the night was anything but enjoyable for the Jazz in a 95-73 loss. He played 21 minutes and scored seven points on 3-for-6 shooting in the blowout.

Even in this season-starting slump, Garrett is thoroughly enjoying this chance to be on an NBA team and to play. It was two weeks ago Monday night when he was shopping at Wal-Mart and got the call from his agent that the Jazz were going to bring him up from Iowa of the D-League to replace waived Jamaal Tinsley.

Garrett quickly became a fan favorite as he played a key role in Utah's only win of the season the same night he signed with the NBA squad 12 days ago.

His Jazz highlights so far?

Garrett: “Just being able to play and actually getting out there and helping the team out and living your dream.”
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #227
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Rookie Trey Burke made his first NBA start Sunday, but ended up only playing 20 minutes. Part of that was because starters didn’t see any time in the fourth quarter because of the lopsided score, but the point guard is also still restricted to how much he can play.

Burke has played three games since returning after having surgery on his fractured right index finger six weeks ago.

“It feels really good, still a little sore,” he said before Sunday’s tipoff. “It gets sore from time to time after the game, but it’s not nothing that’s holding me back.”

Burke said he almost has full mobility with the finger, but not quite. He has it taped to the middle finger on his shooting hand during games.

“I’m still trying to get it to cooperate with me," Burke said. “It gets stiff at times. It feels better, though.”
Old 11-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #228
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The Jazz have forced the Warriors, the Mavericks and the Thunder to make at least one pregame adjustment this week: which hoop they shoot on.

It’s the visiting coach’s choice which basket his team will attack to start the game. Corbin’s preference has been to start by having his team shoot in front of the other team’s bench in the first half.

"I think with us being young it would be better for us to have the offense in front of us at the end of the game," he said. "We can talk to them a little more, get guys in spots, talk about what we see. It’s easier to close the game out."

Might be better at the beginning since you've been starting slow.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #229
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
he third-year center, who started the previous 14 games for the Jazz, walked gingerly in the locker room after the game, but said his pride had not been hurt.

"I’m used to coming off the bench," Kanter said. "I’ll do whatever it takes to win a game. If even Coach says, ‘You’re not going to play at all,’ I will say, ‘OK, Coach. You’re the coach and I’m just a player and I’ll do whatever you tell me to do.’"

Old 11-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #230
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Aaron Falk: Asked Hayward about the heat Ty gets. His take, for what it's worth: "It's our (players) fault and we've got to do something to change it." Twitter @tribjazz

I don't like everything Ty does but I certainly think he deserves a chance. He hasn't really had it since he became coach.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #231
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Darren Wolfson: Buzz from Mohegan Sun event over the weekend where #Twolves GM Milt Newton was: D-Will trade is close. Utah, Sac. NYK, Nets possible. Twitter @DarrenWolfson

Marvin works I think!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #232
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Jody Genessy: Enes Kanter said his ankle doesn't hurt too bad: "I'm hoping to play Friday." Twitter @DJJazzyJody
Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #233
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
This year only 48.9% of Hayward’s field goals have been assisted. The most assists have come from Burks and Jefferson, not a point guard. Last year, 69% of his field goals were assisted and most of them by Mo Williams, Earl Watson and Jamaal Tinsley. No one has been hurt more by the lack of a point guard than Gordon.

Gordon is learning how to manufacture his own shot and he is making huge progress. The toughest shot for a player is the mid range shot from 5 to 15 feet. This shot is taken in traffic, usually off a dribble and more often than not means finding a tough shooting pocket.

Last year, Gordon was 34 of 91 on 5 to 15 foot shots (37%). These shots are unassisted shots. Of all of those field goals only 35% of those were assisted last year.

This year, Hayward is 18 of 42 (43%) with a really strong performance specifically from 10 to 14 feet. Of his 10 to 14 feet shots 92% of those shots have been unassisted. Worth noting as well last year in entire season he attempted 91 shot from 5 to 15 feet and this year in 15 games he has attempted half nearly half of that.

In addition, inside 5 feet Hayward is finishing at 58.5% and 52% of those are assisted. Last year he made 53.5% and 62.3% were assisted. These are much more difficult shots when they are self created and he is making them at a higher rate.

If he has improved in these areas how come he is shooting under 40% on the season. Last year outside 20 feet he shot 149 of 360 (41.3%) and on three’s 101 of 242 (41.7%). The key here is 83% of those shot were assisted.

This year, his 20+ feet shots are falling just 28 of 102 (27%) and his three’s 20 for 65 (31%) and the big difference is he is being forced to create these himself. On these 28 field goals 19 have been assisted or 68% instead of the 83% of a year ago.

As Trey Burk gets more comfortable and others on the team start to create opportunities Hayward will start making his outside shots again and in the meantime he is learning how to make shots inside 15 feet which are far more difficult shots.

These are all puzzle pieces to a complete player. It takes a long time for the puzzle to be completed.

Posted in Breakdown

Trey Burke again. Garrett isn't playing again today though he looks like their best option right now.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #234
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

An MRI earlier in the day revealed that Kanter has an inversion sprain of his right ankle, forcing him to sit out.

“I don’t feel that bad. I feel just a little bit of soreness when I step on it,” Kanter said while carrying his meal back to the locker room. “It hurts a little bit.”

Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said the third-year pro told him he could’ve played if Corbin really needed him. Kanter is eyeing a return the day after Thanksgiving, the next time Utah plays.

“I’m hoping to be back Friday,” he said.

Kanter injured himself in the second half of Sunday’s 95-73 blowout loss at Oklahoma City when he rolled his ankle while on defense.

Kanter certainly didn’t lose his sense of humor after being injured. When a reporter mentioned that he’d been playing well recently, the Jazz center smiled and said, “Did you watch the game?”
Old 11-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #235
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The Jazz, who’ve had one of the toughest schedules in the NBA, will get Tuesday off before practicing again Wednesday and Thursday. Utah doesn’t play again until former Jazz player and assistant Jeff Hornacek returns for the first time as the head coach of the Phoenix Suns.

That gives all of Utah plenty of time to soak up a rare win in this rough rebuilding season, which has been marred by injuries, losses and woeful offense.

All is well for now, though.

Practice should do them good. Biedrins? Rush?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #236
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
“Coach told me I’d make mistakes and you’ve gotta learn from them and play confident out there,” Burke said. “I’m starting to get my confidence back.”

Apparently so with your 17 shot attempts!

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Jazz crowd was starting to act like it’s old self, too.

From any angle, it looked like a different Jazz team than the 1-14 club that limped into Monday’s contest. Burke was good but not great. He made just 5 of 17 shots, had five turnovers. But he also had 14 points and four assists, some of them artistic.

The Jazz might still be the league’s worst team and Burke is still a wide-eyed kid. If he does indeed become the field general, it will be over time, not overnight. But he showed good signs on Monday.

Nerves?

“Not really,” he said. “I used to play in tight games like that in college.”

The Jazz returned home from their disastrous road trip on Sunday night, following an embarrassing loss to Oklahoma City. That made it six straight losses. How bad has it been? Think 1974, when the Jazz began in New Orleans. That initial season they won just 23 games.

But unlike this team, that one had a superstar. Pistol Pete Maravich averaged 21.5 points. Though the Jazz lost 16 of their first 17, they ended up playing fairly well in the second half, at one point building a six-game win streak.

This team may not win that many all year.

Still, the story on Monday was Burke’s first appearance at ESA. He’s certainly no Maravich. But the crowd gave him the benefit of the doubt — with good reason. When introduced, he received a warm welcome, as loud as any player.

Burke is a nice addition to a team that has been unable to find a reliable point guard since Deron Williams was traded. When the Jazz traded up to get the No. 3 pick, fans were ecstatic to get the college player of the year. Then came the preseason broken finger that sidelined him the first dozen games.

Uncertainty hit Jazz fans during the summer league when Burke shot abysmally. He played quite well last week in New Orleans, scoring 11 points in 12 minutes. But after that he went just 4-for-17 from the field. He wasn’t alone. So far this year Hayward hasn’t been able to find the moon with a telescope.

Monday, though, was different. Burke was the darling debutante. He sank his first two shots. One came on an easy layup with nobody near, the second on a 3-pointer left of the key circle.

But then the rookie inconsistencies appeared. A 15-foot shot came off the rim, a bounce pass went out of bounds, an open jumper in the lane was flat. One thing was sure: the Jazz aren’t planning to take their time with him. He played 35 minutes, 15 more than his previous high, including the stretch run. He made just 5 of 17 shots and had five turnovers.
He took some ugly ass shots! I still think they should make him earn it. Bring him off the bench until he's ready. Garrett has played better than Lucas, Burke and Burks!

Quote:
Still, he also turned in the play of the night. On one fast break he drew his man, then hooked a pass behind his ear to a thundering Derrick Favors for a dunk.

The crowd cheered as though it were 1998.

One thing seemed sure in Burke’s debut night: he’s destined to be a fan favorite if his game comes along. He took time during warm-ups to sign autographs, rather than do media interviews. Before and after the game he was just what he should have been: cool, confident and collected.

If you didn’t know better, you might even think he’d even grown an inch.

Email: rock@desnews.com; Twitter: @therockmonster; Blog: Rockmonster Unplugged
Old 11-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #237
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
"I missed some shots I usually don’t miss. I missed some guys on the perimeter I usually don’t miss," said Burke, who said he became frustrated with his play.

Haven't seen you make many shots period.

Quote:
In fact, the ninth overall pick in the draft hit on just three of his first 12 shots.

When it mattered most, though, Burke came up big.

"He’s a confident guy," Jazz coach Ty Corbin said with a laugh after the team’s 89-83 overtime win over Chicago . "There’s never no doubt about him being confident. He’s been in big moments before. He’s starting to go through big moments in this league."

After making his NBA debut last week, and playing in all three of the team’s road games last week — all losses — Burke found himself fighting for a win for the first time as a pro Monday.

After Chicago’s Luol Deng had just put the Bulls up 74-73 with a pair of free throws with just under two minutes left on the clock, Burke found himself with the ball. Despite shooting just 25 percent from the floor to that point, Burke dribbled toward the rim and hit a running 10-footer to put Utah back on top.

In overtime, Burke again provided some needed offense.

As the Bulls tried to force the point guard baseline, Burke fought his way around the screen and found himself open for 3.

He nailed it, putting Utah up 83-78, en route to its second win of the year.

It was far from a perfect game. The rookie finished with 14 points, six rebounds, four assists and five turnovers, as he played 34 minutes — his longest outing since returning from preseason finger surgery.

"He’s got to learn by going through the process," Corbin said. "This is a great learning experience for him. We’ll watch [film] and talk about it. … He’s got to be able to see what’s working well. He can’t put himself in binds, can’t turn the ball over, get late into a shot clock and in a crowd."

The coach added, "He made a big shot for us though."

afalk@sltrib.com

Twitter: @tribjazz
Old 11-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #238
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
These guys succeed just often enough to maintain the novelty. When they eventually find themselves and start winning roughly one-third of their games, this stuff won’t be nearly as much fun.

pretty optimistic

Quote:
And eventually, the comparisons of the Jazz to the franchise’s inaugural season in New Orleans in 1974-75 might lose their consistent placement in my chronicles. For now, the latest update: Tyrone Corbin made it past the Scotty Robertson Checkpoint, after the team’s first coach was fired with a similar 1-14 record. And the Jazz’s second victory came in Game 16, compared with Game 18 in New Orleans.

The Bucks are the comparison right now. Bucks being in the east should have an easier road.

Quote:
In this episode, rookie guard Trey Burke’s key 3-pointer and Jeremy Evans’ dunk of Gordon Hayward’s lob pass served as the signature moments of overtime.

Those were satisfying developments on a night when there were hardly any signs of development for a big chunk of the Jazz’s young core. Enes Kanter was sidelined by an ankle injury, Derrick Favors fouled out and Alec Burks played only 12 minutes.

If not for the overtime opportunity, Hayward would have remembered missing a go-ahead shot. As it was, Hayward was rewarded with his career-high 12th assist — more than Chicago’s entire team, missing Derrick Rose. Burke also would have dealt with a rough shooting night, but he came through in overtime.

So the trend is established: The Jazz win every time a point guard makes his first official home appearance. They beat New Orleans two weeks ago when Diante Garrett was summoned from the NBA Development League and made a nice contribution in 22 minutes, while knowing only a few plays. And then Burke played 34 minutes Monday in his ESA debut after missing most of the preseason and the first 12 regular-season games with a broken finger. By Burke’s account, Corbin told him, "You’re going to make some mistakes … play confident out there."

So he kept firing, delivering the 3-pointer that pushed the Jazz’s lead to 83-78 early in overtime.

"You’ve got to learn, going through the process," Corbin said.

The thing is, those big plays by Hayward and Burke never would have happened if Boozer could have converted one of the easiest shots he took during a 26-point, 16-rebound night. He’s still being booed in this building, three-plus years after leading the Jazz to their last playoff series victory for presumably a long, long time.

Whatever. The Jazz beat Boozer for the first time since he departed, surviving in a frightfully ugly game against a Chicago team dealing with the shock of losing Rose to another season-ending knee injury.

The teams shot less than 40 percent in the game, after exactly matching each other’s futility in the first half — 9 of 21 in the first quarter, 6 of 18 in the second quarter. That’s tough to do.

The Jazz and Bulls could not separate themselves in regulation, thanks to misses by Luol Deng and Boozer in the final sequence. But now, the Jazz can shoot for an actual winning streak Friday when Jeff Hornacek’s Phoenix Suns come to town.

kkragthorpe@sltrib.comTwitter: @tribkurt
Old 11-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #239
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Big plays tonight by the veterans Richard Jefferson and Marvin Williams. Both were solid. Marvin played 44 minutes and Richard notched 38. These guys are are giving everything they have. They are setting a great example for the younger players on how to approach the game and how to get through tough moments. They stay really cool in big moments.
Marvin may have been really banged up last year because this is a totally different player this year. He is a better stretch 4 than a 3 but he played both tonight when Jeremy Evans was on the floor. 17 pts, 9 rebounds and 7 of 14 shooting.

contract years. good news is maybe they become tradeable?

Quote:
Jeremy Evans is becoming a solid NBA player. He notched 23 solid minutes tonight. Noah drove him into the lane a few times and defensive rebounding is still going to be an issue but he is making enough other plays that he is worthwhile to have on the floor. He had 9 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals. He is able to get above people to make plays. Teams are going react to him and it will be a process but right now it is wonderful to see.
Big shots, big moments for a lot of the guys. The Jazz went 6:20 without a point in the 4th quarter and lost the lead and then Gordon hit big fade with 4:07 left to give the Jazz a 2 point lead, Burke hit a floater in the lane with 1:45 left, then in overtime Trey nailed a huge 3, Gordon and Jeremy connected on an alley opp wth 1:25 left to virtually clinch the game. Those are big moments
The alley opp from G to JE was so cool. Those two are the best of friends and for them to connect on this moment after waiting for 4 years was loaded with emotion. You could see JE when he turned to Gordon after the dunk that he had this huge grin on his face almost to say we did it.
Jazz defense was strong tonight. Bulls shot 39.2% and were 1 for 13 from three. The Jazz have played a lot of great offensive teams this year and to finally play a poor offensive team and show you can defend is a nice step
Gordon Hayward played how he can be successful tonight. He is not a one on one breakdown player. He is a great teammate. He can make plays with the ball in his hand for his teammates. His natural instinct is to play the team game. He did it tonight with a career high 12 assists and only 1 turnover

Yep he's not a go to guy. unfortunately for him he's the best option they have.

Quote:
Derrick Favors got in foul trouble and Rudy Gobert was really good in the minutes he played. He wrecks havoc on the floor. 9 rebounds in 21 minutes. When Gobert was on the floor the Bulls shot 10 of 24 with 5 turnovers in that period of time
Nice win – more can be learned out of good moments than bad ones. We need some of these this season
Posted in Emptying the Noggin
Old 11-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #240
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Corbin believes his players are too concerned about other things — like previous mistakes — when they attempt their free throws.

"Let it go," he said. "... We’ve got to have a short memory. Guys are thinking about things too much. You can’t have one thing go wrong and then have something else [bad] happen because you’re thinking about that."
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: