Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 11-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #31
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

Quote:
"Ultimately, we just couldn't reach a deal that both sides felt good about,” Hayward’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, said moments before the 10 p.m. deadline. “That happens sometimes. No hard feelings at all. No one’s upset. This doesn’t change the way Gordon feels about the Jazz."

Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey’s response to the sides failing to come to an agreement: “No comment.”

Rebuilding Utah was able to secure one cornerstone piece for the future of its franchise last month when it extended 22-year-old Derrick Favors’ contract through the 2017-18 campaign. The Jazz honored the power forward’s incentive-filled $47.7 million deal with a press conference Monday morning.

Now the earliest the organization can hold a similar love fest for Hayward, considered to be a leader, playmaker and key member of the Jazz’s youth movement, is next offseason.

If that even ends up happening.

Hayward will become a restricted free agent next summer, meaning the Jazz can match an offer from another suitor if they so desire. But the versatile 23-year-old will play his fourth year in the NBA without the peace of mind of a contract in hand past mid-April.

An interesting dilemma, considering the Jazz are looking to Hayward for increased leadership and overall production this season.

Hayward wasn’t available for a comment Thursday night, but the Indianapolis native expressed interest in continuing his career in Utah this week.

“I would love to be here,” Hayward said. “That would be great, especially playing with Fav and be a part of this franchise. It’s a great franchise. I would love that.”

On Thursday night, his agent said the Jazz player wanted to emphasize that he maintains a “tremendous sense of loyalty” to Utah, which drafted him ninth overall in the 2010 NBA draft.

Bartelstein even said Hayward wanted to thank Jazz management for the hard work both sides put in to try to make this work out.

“These deals are not easy to do. It was a great effort made by both sides,” Bartelstein said. “He (Hayward) couldn't feel better about Utah.”

Although Hayward has expressed interest in remaining in Utah long term and the Jazz are quite fond of the former Butler star, neither side could bridge the wide gap between offers.

Progress was made throughout the process, but not enough to satisfy either camp. Yahoo Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski, who first reported the impasse, claimed the sides “never came close on an extension” and that they remained “several million dollars apart” when calling talks off.

Hayward’s side was reportedly hoping to secure more than Favors’ salary but somewhere less than the $80 million maximum deal fellow 2010 draftee Paul George received this offseason.

Bartelstein declined to offer specifics.

"The easiest extension to get done,” he said, “is a max deal. We're talking about something different. It can be difficult."

So it wasn't max. I'd guess they wanted Batum type money. Jazz maybe wanted to give him less than Favors despite early reports to the contrary?

Quote:
Jazz CEO Greg Miller admitted earlier this week that the organization had hoped to wrap this up before the Oct. 31 deadline.

Now it will linger all season, with Hayward and the Jazz likely to be continually asked for future intentions.

“Gordon is a player who shows a lot of promise. I think we’ve seen a lot of growth and development with him over the last few years, and I’m very interested in keeping him as a member of the Utah Jazz,” Miller said Monday. “The sooner we can get all that worked out, the sooner it’s not going to be a distraction. I’m hoping that we can get that done sooner than later.”

Later it is. Or never.

Both sides took a risk in not settling this before next offseason.

A strong season by Hayward would increase his already high stock, making him an enticing target next summer. Teams with a lot of cap space could try to make a toxic offer and even throw more money at the athletic 6-foot-8 player than the Jazz had hoped to pay.

The opposite is also true.

A rough season or injury by Hayward could decrease his potential value, putting him at possible risk of receiving less than the Jazz offered this fall.

Bartelstein said the sides just decided to “take a pause” on the talks, which will resume next offseason.

“(Hayward) has been treated great from the coaching staff, the front office and the Millers,” the Jazz player’s agent added. “All that is positive. It’s not going to be anything but positive. Sometimes these deals are tough to get done.”

Favors made it clear he wants Hayward to be part of the franchise’s future with him.

“It’s very important (to sign him). Me and Gordon, we’ve been together for going on three years. We’ve been to the USA camp together, so we’ve got a good chemistry going,” Favors said. “With Enes (Kanter) and Alec (Burks) and all those guys, they’ve been wonderful teammates. It’s important to keep the young core together, so we can build the chemistry and move forward to the future.”

Earlier this week, the Jazz exercised team options to keep Kanter and Burks in Utah for their fourth seasons (2014-15).

Lindsey was asked at Favors’ press conference how the Jazz balance the desire to protect the team’s best interest and the feelings of the players during negotiating processes.

While admitting there are “always things said” while two sides work out deals, Lindsey added: “It’s amazing when you comport yourself the right way and when you have the truth on your side.”

For now, though, the Jazz only officially have Hayward on their side through the end of this season.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #32
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Burke traveled to Arizona to be with his team for Friday's first road game against the Suns, but he’ll just be an attentive observer again. The Jazz will also be without Marvin Williams (Achilles), Brandon Rush (knee), Jeremy Evans (rotator cuff) and Andris Biedrins, although all will travel.

“It was definitely a bummer that I wasn’t out there,” Burke added, “but I’m looking forward to being out there.”

It’s still unknown how long Burke will be sidelined, but he was allowed to speak to reporters Thursday for the first time since having surgery on his fractured right index finger 2 1/2 weeks ago.

Instead of talking about his first game as a rookie, Burke explained the progress of his finger rehab the day after the 2013-14 season tipped off without him.

“Right now, I’m just trying to continue to get this strength back,” Burke said. “I’m almost there. I’m almost at a full fist.”

Though it was initially announced that Burke would be re-evaluated three weeks after his surgery, the point guard’s check-up will come a week later on Nov. 11.

So he's already behind schedule.

Quote:
It will then be determined how long it will take before he can resume basketball activity and full workouts.

Burke continues to wear a special splint at night and during some conditioning (not allowed to run yet), but he’s allowed to take it off the rest of the time.

This is his first injury since the 21-year-old suffered a hairline fracture in his knee in middle school, forcing him to miss two months.

“It’s really tough, but injuries happen. That’s what happens in sports,” Burke said. “This is my first real injury of my career. Obviously I had to learn to deal with not being out there with my teammates. I’m staying positive. I’m doing a good job of trying to get back out there as quick as possible.”

In the meantime, Burke will continue to sit, watch and learn. He picks the brain of Jazz player development coach Johnnie Bryant. He watches film, especially to study “what we need to do on the offensive end.”

Burke is trying to make the most of his downtime.

“Just try to basically (make) it like I’m out there, learn from the sidelines since I can’t be out there,” he said. “I’m trying to do a good job of being more of a student right now.”

Speaking of a student, this No. 3 smiled when told by a reporter that a young elementary school kid dressed up as Burke in a makeshift Jazz jersey with the playmaker’s name on the back during a school costume parade.

“That’s amazing,” the real Burke said. “It’s always great to see young kids with dreams wearing your jersey. I was that little kid (one) day.”
Old 11-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #33
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin can’t wait to face new Phoenix coach Jeff Hornacek, his former Jazz assistant and Suns teammate.

Hornacek was hired by the Suns after being on the Jazz staff in various capacities since 2007. The sharpshooter played in Utah from 1994 through 2000, including two trips to the NBA Finals.

“It’ll be great. He had a great win his first game out,” Corbin said, referring to Phoenix’s season-opening 104-91 victory over Portland on Wednesday. “I’m happy for him there.“

Corbin said he’s kept in contact with Hornacek since he took his new gig.

“He’s doing well. He’s enjoying himself,” Corbin said. “He lived in Phoenix, so he’s really enjoying being there. It’s a great opportunity for him and he’s excited about it.”

That said, Corbin would love to hand Hornacek his first coaching defeat.

“Absolutely. On his home floor,” he said, smiling. “We’ll say ‘Hi’ to him and smile before the game, but once the battle starts … he’s going to try to get us and we’re going to try to get him.”

If they're going to win on the road at all this as good a chance as they'll have.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #34
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Starting point guard John Lucas III echoed his coach on the turnover topic.

“We’ve got to take care of the ball,” he said. “Myself, I had a crucial turnover in the fourth quarter with the travel. That was crazy. I usually don’t make mistakes like that."

You probably haven't been in during the 4th quarter much except for garbage time.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #35
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Harris has got to be celebrating clean(er) air, hamburgers, French fries and simply playing in the NBA.

I'd be missing Chinese food myself.

Quote:
Against the Oklahoma City Thunder Wednesday, Harris dogged Kevin Durant as much as he could. Durant ran away with 42 points, but Durant earned those points and faced continual challenges on his shots. Harris used his six fouls effectively, adding 13 points and two steals.

Unfortunately, Durant went to the dang-I-got-one-up-on-the-defense line 24 times and hit 22 of those freebies, converting 91.7 percent of his free throws. Durant is too good to go to the line that many times. When NBA referees are charged with the duty of protecting superstars, and when a young team plays one such star hard, the star will go to the line and will go often.

Durant makes his free throws, however. This why hack-a-Shaq worked and why hack-a-Durant doesn’t.

Here is the hurt line: The Jazz played a physical game, resulting in Durant's free throws. The Jazz turned the ball over 22 times. The Thunder had 15 steals. Gordon Hayward sat out most of the second quarter.

If there is a single issue that killed the Jazz, that issue is Hayward sitting on the bench for an extended amount of time.

Turnovers looks like the biggest difference to me and G had 4 of them.

Quote:
That can not happen.

Hayward is the floor commander whether he has the ball in his hands or not, and the opposing team has to respect him. When Hayward is getting splinters from the bench, the other team can take advantage of a weaker lineup. The second quarter was a nightmare; the Thunder outscored the Jazz 28-19.

NBA.com’s Andrew Aragon explains how Thunder Head Coach Scott Brooks adjusted to a Hayward-less Jazz, writing:

“Oklahoma City's defensive effort greatly improved between the first and second quarters, and it proved to be one of the keys of the game. After allowing 29 points in the first, the Thunder held the Jazz to 19 points in the second quarter. Utah shot 47.6 percent in the first quarter, but didn't reach that percentage in a quarter the rest of the game.”

Hayward has to play longer than 26.5 minutes.

So should Kanter and he wasn't in foul trouble.

Quote:
He must clock 36 or more minutes just to keep the other team honest, holding the game close enough to win down the stretch.

Here are the two light-bright-shine-all-night aspects of the game:

First, Alec Burks had a tremendous game with 24 points and six assists. When I watched the game for the second time on DVR, I was still cheering. He can score and slide assists to the guys working hard on defense. NBA.com has great video of one of those assists. Burks will be a great sixth man instant-offensing every game.

Second, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter and Rudy Gobert controlled the paint all night. Favors played for 41.9 minutes and Kanter and Gobert combined for 51.9 minutes. The Jazz played rough-and-tumble defense, forcing the offensive burden on to the Thunder’s superstar.

Normally, this is an effective strategy. Last night, only two other Thunder players scored double digits. Durant accounted for 40 percent of the Thunder offense. The Jazz front court played hard and gritty, and other Durant-less NBA teams will struggle against this kind of relentless defense.

Finally, I do not believe in first-game-of-the-year moral victories. The NBA regular season is a war. Maybe when the Jazz make the playoffs and lose a hard one to an overwhelming opponent, I will grant a moral victory. Not right now.

The Jazz are going to tie up their sneakers, throw their gear on the bus and take some heat down to Phoenix on Friday at 8 p.m. I hope they play just as hard, and I hope someone scuffs Jeff Hornacek’s shiny head coach shoes while they're there.

Twitter: @AaronGuile
Old 11-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #36
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Jazz at Suns

O At USAirways Center (Phoenix)

Tipoff » 8 p.m. MST

TV » ROOT Sports

Radio » 1280 AM, 1600 AM, 97.5 FM

Records » Jazz 0-1; Suns 1-0

Season series » First game

About the Jazz » They have won four of their last five against Phoenix. … They went 13-28 on the road last season. … They’ve started 0-2 twice in the last three years. … They come off a 101-98 loss to Oklahoma City. … They committed 22 turnovers, missed 10 of 30 free throws and went 6-for-22 on three-pointers against the Thunder.

About the Suns » Under new coach Jeff Hornacek, they scored a 104-91 victory over Portland in their season opener. … Guards Goran Dragic (26) and Eric Bledsoe (22) combined for 48 points on 19-for-31 shooting. … Rookie Miles Plumlee was also outstanding. In 40 minutes, he scored 18 points and grabbed 15 rebounds.

Jeff Hornacek file

Born » May 3, 1963

Hometown » Elmhurst, Ill.

High school » LaGrange Township

College » Iowa State

Position » Shooting guard

Career highlights » Selected in the second round (46th overall) of the 1986 NBA Draft by Phoenix. … Averaged 14.3 points and 4.9 assists during his 14-year career. … Spent six years with the Suns. … Played in the 1992 All-Star Game. … Traded to Philadelphia prior to the 1993-94 season. … Traded to Utah on Feb. 24, 1994. … In 61/2 season, he helped lead the Jazz to two NBA Finals and two conference finals. … Scored a career-high 40 points against Seattle on Nov. 23, 1994. … Played in 477 of 478 games after being acquired by Utah. … Was a two-time winner of the Long Distance Shootout at All-Star Weekend (1998, 2000).
Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #37
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Mike Harris sat with coach Ty Corbin in the Jazz’s practice facility after final cuts last week. The coach told Harris he would be used at times at the power forward this season, and may matchup against bigger small forwards, such as Kevin Durant.

Harris, the last man to make the Jazz roster, didn’t expect that chance would come on opening night.

"He plays hard. He knows who he is. He’s not afraid of the physical part of the game," Corbin said. "A lot of guys will get up against a guy like Durant, one of the top guys in this league, and they back up and give them their way." Durant still managed to score 42 points while taking 24 foul shots.

"If you go back and read [Durant’s] lips after Mike fouled, he said, ‘You made me work tonight,’" point guard John Lucas III said
Old 11-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #38
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The Jazz could use some help from Brandon Rush & Marvin Williams.

I’m sincerely happy for Mike Harris (13 points in 22 minutes for his Jazz debut), but I’m confused at the praise he’s getting for defending Kevin Durant. Yes, Durant had a rough spell in the fourth quarter, going 0-for-4 with two turnovers from the 9:51 mark to 4:01, mostly while being guarded by Harris. But he still scored 15 of OKC’s 20 points in the quarter, and nobody should be doing a celebratory dance after a guy goes to the line 24 times, tying a Jazz opponent record for freebies.

The other area where Utah could use from help from their tandem of injured wings is from deep. After a rough preseason from behind the three point line, Utah netted just 27% of its triples last night.

Harris was better than Marvin ever was for the Jazz last year. Maybe better than he's ever been in his career. Rush would be nice though.

Quote:
4. Derrick Favors & Gordon Hayward will play as much as their foul count will let them.

Corbin seems ready to stick with Favors & Hayward pretty heavily. Favors got 43 minutes against the Thunder and rewarded his coach with a nice do-it-all line of 15 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists and a couple of blocks.

Hayward saw significantly less time because of foul trouble, but Corbin played him as much he dared. This was made obvious by the fact that he kept him on the floor with two fouls early, brought him back to end the half despite having three fouls, and inserted him into the fourth-quarter lineup even at the expense of a hot Alec Burks.

Why not go with Burks and Kanter instead of they are going well?

Quote:
We’ve heard that these two are going to the leaders, and if game 1 is any indication, I think the “minutes played” column will bear that out.

5. How good Jazz can be will depend a lot on Jamaal Tinsley’s role and Trey Burke’s healthy return.

That’s a polite way of saying that the Jazz didn’t get a ton of encouragement from John Lucas III in the opener. Corbin didn’t have a lot of options given that Tinsley is limited by his conditioning; Burks saw a few minutes at point, but right now this team is relying on Lucas as its floor general, and I’m not sure that’s his ideal role.

I’m not anti-Lucas at all, and I actually think he is a nice value pickup if all you’re looking to do is give Burke a back-up that will give the team a different look without really challenging the rookie’s minutes (which is what he was hired to do). But the situation has changed now, and I think the team is biding its time until a purer point is available, especially down the stretch.

Lucas’ fourth quarter against OKC was pretty underwhelming: 0/2 with 0 assists and a turnover. The team performed better during Tinsley’s short stint, too. It was a 12-point OKC lead when Lucas sat down in the third quarter, and 14 by the time Tinsley took point guard duties from Burks. Over the next 6+ minutes with Tinsley in, the Jazz went on a 15-7 run. When Tinsley handed the reins back to Lucas, the Jazz would come up empty on five of their next seven possessions.

To be fair, Lucas was a net 0 in second-half +/-, which is precisely why extrapolating too much out of a couple isolated stretches is a shaky proposition. But I think for the Jazz to close games effectively, they need either Tinsley or Burke to be ready to serve as floor generals for the bulk of games so that JL3 can return to his role as the change-of-pace bench guard.
They're 3rd pgs. Tank.

Quote:
6. Rudy Gobert doesn’t want to wait.

Raw? Nah.

Gobert only scored a bucket in his NBA debut, but he made his presence felt. He grabbed a rebound for every 3.3 minutes played and, while he came up empty on blocks, he was absolutely a paint deterrent.

Gobert checked in at the 4:10 mark of the third quarter and checked out with 2:58 left in the game. In that 13:12 stretch, OKC did not score in the paint. In fact, OKC only scored 16 points over that 13+ minute stretch – 13 points off of jumpers and three points from the line.

Gobert shouldn’t get all of the defensive credit, but if the rim defense is that good when he’s on the floor, Corbin’s going to have a hard time giving the backup center minutes back to Andris Biedrins.

He's raw. I still think when healthy he might be best served playing big minutes at the D-League. Biedrins rebounds and blocks shots too.

Quote:
7. Utah will have to compete on the glass to compete on the scoreboard.

Enes Kanter had just one rebound at the half and the Jazz were getting a nine-point shellacking thanks in large part to a grundle of second-chance points by OKC. In the second half, Kanter and his peers stepped it up and the Jazz made it close. But Utah isn’t going to be good enough this year to win despite giving extra possessions to its opponents.

8. This will be a fun team to watch.

Enough said.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #39
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

After failing to reach an agreement on a rookie contract extension before Thursday's 11:59 p.m. ET deadline, talented young forward Gordon Hayward will enter restricted free agency next summer, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Also, the Phoenix Suns and Eric Bledsoe were unable to come to an agreement on a rookie contract extension, and the young point guard will join fellow 2010 draft class members Hayward and Detroit Pistons forward Greg Monroe as three of the most prominent players in July's restricted free agency period. Yahoo! Sports

Utah general manager Dennis Lindsey and Hayward's agent Mark Bartelstein had been seriously trading proposals for the past week, but couldn't come to terms on an extension, sources said. Yahoo! Sports

Marc Stein: Extension deadline officially passes w/no deal for Utah's Gordon Hayward. Sides were negotiating 4-year deal, sources say, but no agreement Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Marc Stein: League sources sat Hayward was NOT seeking four-year max but parties couldn't close gap even after Jazz CEO Greg Miller spoke optimistically Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Despite being in active negotiations up until the Thursday night deadline, Gordon Hayward and the Utah Jazz failed to close the gap on the framework of a contract extension and never discussed a five-year, maximum-level deal, league sources told RealGM. RealGM

The sides never came close on a deal, remaining several million dollars apart, league sources told Yahoo. Hayward had been seeking a deal in the four-year, $50-million plus range, sources said. Hayward will have significant interest on the market next summer and could command a deal in that range. Nevertheless, the Jazz can match an offer sheet and keep Hayward, which is the likely scenario. Yahoo! Sports

Bartelstein was quick to compliment the Jazz for their handling of the negotiations, and dispelled any notion that this is a sign that Hayward is looking to head elsewhere. "The main thing is that the Jazz put in a tremendous amount of time and effort into wanting to get something done, and we put in a tremendous amount of time and effort to get it done," Bartelstein said. "It was not due to a lack of trying. That's for sure. There was a lot of time and a lot of energy spent the last few months in working at it, but sometimes you just can't come up with something that both sides feel good about. That doesn't change at all — at all — how Gordon feels about the Jazz." USA Today Sports

"The most difficult deals to do are extensions — other than the max," Bartelstein told USA TODAY Sports by phone just before the deadline passed. "When someone is offering you a max, then it's easy. Those are easy. Other than that, they're difficult because ... there's not a marketplace, so the teams sometimes have a view of wanting to get something for doing it early, and the player wants to get what he perceives his value to be, so they're hard to do." USA Today Sports

Jody Genessy: Hayward's agent: "The easiest extension to get done is a max deal. We're talking about something different. It can be difficult." Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Jody Genessy: Agent said GH still has "tremendous sense of loyalty" to Utah: "No one's upset. This doesn't change the way Gordon feels about the Jazz." Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Shams Charania: For Hayward, there will undoubtedly be transition back into complete focus on basketball. Negotiations weighed heavily on him, sources said. Twitter @ShamsCharania

Adrian Wojnarowski: Eric Bledsoe and Suns failed to reach an extension agreement, league source tells Yahoo. Bledsoe will be a restricted free agent in July. Twitter @WojYahooNBA

Marc Stein: Jazz & Suns decide they prefer matching potentially rich offers to Hayward & Bledsoe in restricted free agency rather than spend big now Twitter @ESPNSteinLine
Old 11-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #40
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Our four young kids played strong games. Hayward equaled his career high in rebounds and assists. Favors had a career high 17 rebounds. Kanter had a 20-10 with 10 offensive rebounds. Burks had a terrific rhythm to his game in the 2nd half. However, they don’t have a lot to support their efforts right now.

Final 5 minutes started with the Jazz up 76-73 – kanter scored a 2 and Favors had a brilliant move. Good recognition by Lucas got Hayward fouled on a fast break and he made 1 of 2 free throws and Hayward hit the three but otherwise the offense couldn’t get a lot late.

Defensively the Jazz put another strong outing on the floor. Defensive rating (anything under 100 is terrific) was 88 in the 1st half and 99 in the second half. The only thing that prevented the Jazz from having a super defensive effort was the lack of defensive rebounding the Jazz allowed 37.5 % of the defensive rebounds to become offensive rebounds for the Suns. That number should not be over 30%.

That was a problem last year too. Biedrins might be able to help there?

Quote:
Turnovers are going to be an issue all season. Guys are being asked to do things they haven’t done before and it shows with the turnovers. Jazz committed 21 turns tonight turning it over on 22% of their possessions.
John Lucas made his 4th career start, played 31 minutes and had 1 assist. He is being asked to do a huge amount with the Trey Burke injury and the Jazz are at a disadvantage every night at point guard, sizewize, experience and it is tough for John. The dude battles. Did you see him step in front of the bowling ball Eric Bledsoe to try to take a charge late in the game? That is awesome sacrifice.

Again he shouldn't be in the position where he's starting because of an injury. Tank!

Quote:
Gordon Hayward went 6 of 17. Including pre-season this is 10 games where his shooting numbers are way down with the burden of the offense on his shoulders. Not sure what is a reasonable expectation for Hayward.
Jazz notes tonight – Hayward got one from Thurl Bailey for his leadership and effort coming off the non contract extension. I gave one to Hayward for his transition defense and Ron gave Jamaal Tinsley a Jazz note for the play diving into the Jazz bench to deflect a pass out of bounds

Rudy Gobert who was brilliant on the opener was lost tonight – 7 minutes 4 turnovers

Ian Clark made his NBA debut

Those two need to be down in the D-League once they get some bodies back soon

Quote:
Want to mention it again. When Alec Burks gets a rhythm he is terrific. He is like a wind up toy and during the wind up part he is tough to watch and then once he is wound up boom he gets into the flow and plays very well. His decision making still needs to develop he may be responsible for most of the new grey hairs we are seeing on Tyrone Corbin.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #41
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

"I wish it could have happened," Hayward said. "[But] this in no way changes the way I feel about Utah at all. I love being here, love playing for them." Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey said, "Time and circumstances dictated that this deal will get done at a later date," adding that Hayward "will be a leader of our team for a long time." "He’s someone we can see in a Utah Jazz jersey until he retires," Lindsey said. "That’s our hope. We think there’s a great fit."

Salt Lake Tribune
Old 11-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #42
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Jody Genessy: Lindsey: "I've been reading and hearing opinions. One thing that we want to make clear: Gordon Hayward is a valued member of the Utah Jazz." Twitter @DJJazzyJody

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 11-02-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #43
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

ody Genessy: Gordon Hayward after not reaching extension agreement with Jazz at deadline: "Hopefully it will get worked out next summer."

Twitter @DJJazzyJody
Old 11-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #44
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Hornacek joked with familiar faces from Utah before the game. Prior to tipoff, the beloved member of the Jazz family, as an NBA Finals-era player and coach, gushed about the guys he used to help oversee.

The Jazz core? “They’re very talented. They can do some phenomenal things.”

Hayward? “I truly believe in a couple of years he can be an All-Star in this league if he continues to work on his game.”

Utah’s jumbo Junior Jazz guys? “Between Enes (Kanter) and Derrick (Favors), those two guys are monsters on the board.”

Will he closely follow this Utah group? “I think it’s only natural.” He did, after all, help them every day during the past several seasons. To that point, Hornacek admitted this matchup might feel like a practice from years past.

“Most of the times when we scrimmaged,” he said, “I was coaching the group that we have out there right now.”

Hornacek didn’t correct himself about the “we” he dropped while referring to Jazz youngsters Hayward, Favors, Kanter and Alec Burks, who used to be on his practice squad.

The Suns coach, who was with the Jazz in various coaching capacities since 2007, said it’s been fun to watch the progression of that group.

“These guys are all great players,” he said. “Except for when we play them, it’s exciting to watch them, because I think they’re very good and they have bright futures.”

Hayward, who’s spent the past few weeks wondering if he’d get that contract extension, anticipated playing against Hornacek’s team. The former Jazzman was a mentor to Utah’s shooting guard since the Butler star was selected ninth overall in 2010.

“I’ve talked to Coach several times. He’s a friend, just asked for advice,” Hayward said. “He’s played the same position that I am in this league. We had a great relationship when he was here in Utah.”

Unfortunately for the Jazz, Hornacek’s team got the upper hand this time.

Bledsoe took over down the stretch, hitting several free throws and that game-winning 3-pointer en route to a team-high 18 points for the overhauled Suns. Interestingly, Bledsoe, another 2010 draftee, could not reach an extension agreement with Phoenix on Thursday.

The Jazz again struggled from the free-throw line, missing 10 free throws for the second-straight game (17-for-27), shooting just 36.5 percent and scoring only 84 points. Utah also had a turnover problem after coughing up the ball 22 times Wednesday.

"Young guys or not," Corbin said, "we have to make free throws and we can't turn the ball over."

Hayward said the Jazz need to clean up their execution, too.

"Both losses came down to the wire," he said. "I said this the other night, we have to be able to execute offensively down the stretch. ... It's definitely fixable."

Yeah but how many years?

Quote:
The Jazz will get a chance to avenge this loss to the man whose No. 14 jersey is hanging in the rafters of the old Delta Center later this month.

Hornacek’s return to his home-away-from-home will come on Nov. 29.

"It’ll probably be more strange when we go up to Utah than it is here," he said. "But it should be fun."

To clarify, Hornacek said that before his team beat the Jazz.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #45
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Alec Burks needs some help in that second unit. He scored 15 after going off for 24 on Wednesday. He even hit a few from outside, which he struggled to do agains the Thunder. But his fellow reserves only mustered five points combined. Ian Clark looked tentative in his NBA debut and Mike Harris fell back to earth some, as he went scoreless. The Jazz are going to look significantly different in this department once Trey Burke, Marvin Williams and Brandon Rush are able to return.

I love how Marvin doesn't suck anymore!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: