Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 03-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #586
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

Quote:
Jazz are now 1-22 when Marvin Williams doesn’t play 20 minutes. Problem is Marvin doesn’t seem right and I am not sure how Tyrone can get him 20 plus minutes right now

He's inconsistent. They really want him back? Only way I'd have him back was on a one year contract coming off the bench on the cheap but than what happens with Evans?

Quote:
Gordon Hayward continues to play very well on this trip. He is not a vocal leader. But he might be making a statement of leadership with his consistent play right now. He is staying engaged in the game. He is battling through every possession. His defense was terrific on Camelo for the brief time he was guarding him. He was very aggressive going to the basket. He hit his shots both 2 and 3’s and he finished at the rim. Solid effort 18 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists.

It seems to be Gordon has stopped trying to be the #1 option and feel the burden of being the go to guy and is just playing. He looks more comfortable, his shot selection is better and he is playing much better.

Good. That's the player he is not the go to guy.

Quote:
Thru 3 quarters the Jazz were 3 of 20 from 3. Trey was 1 for 10 and 0 for 8 from 3 and Marvin was 1 for 7 and 0 for 5 from 3 at that point of the game

That's ridiculous! Take it to the hole. Pass the ball. Something other than continuing to throw up bricks.

Quote:
One play summed up the game. Jazz went to Favors on the left block being guarded by Chandler. For some reason that I don’t know the Knicks decided to double Favors. Favors makes the easy pass out to Burke who is wide open because his man went to double and the Knicks didn’t rotate at all. It was a terrible defensive play. Just terrible but Trey came up short on the 3 and it lead to a easy bucket on the other side. When the other team is awful you have to take advantage.

Knicks were last in the league in points in the paint, last in the league in fast break points and last in the league in free throws. They got 15 fast break points,

Over the last 15 games the 76ers have had worst run of any team in NBA history. The Jazz have to show up and play an inferior opponent tomorrow.

Posted in Emptying the Noggin

After the Bucks game maybe the Jazz can continue their losing ways!
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #587
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Ty Corbin

Jazz Haven't Discussed New Contract

Mar 07, 2014

12:35 PM EST

Ty Corbin said Friday that he has not discussed a new contract with the Utah Jazz.

Corbin is in the final season of his contract.

"I'll put it off until the end (of season)," Corbin said. ""I’ve been doing this for so long. ... It is what it is. It will be what it will be when it gets there. I’m fine."

The Jazz have the second-worst record in the Western Conference at 21-40.

Via Jody Genessy/Deseret News

I imagine we'll know one way or the other soon after the season ends.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #588
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Back in October, Lindsey warned that he wouldn’t respond to queries about Corbin’s next contract the entire season after answering one question about it at media day.

“The Miller family is known for their support for players, of coaches, of management. We’re going to stand by our record,” Lindsey said at the time. “I think as you guys have seen with Coach Sloan, the internal promotion what we did last year and support of Ty and the staff with the Raja Bell situation, coaches here are very well-supported. Beyond that, the Miller family and the management team, we’re not going to comment past that point.”

Interesting comments there. Sloan certainly had the support. See how much Ty gets from the new GM.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #589
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Utah Jazz center Andris Biedrins hadn’t seen playing time in a while. His last minutes (two of them) came in mid-December against the Miami Heat.

But on Wednesday, the veteran center was moved to the inactive list for the first time this season for a reason other than injury or illness — and it could mean more opportunities for forward Malcolm Thomas and guard Ian Clark.

"We will get a chance to look at some more things going forward," Jazz coach Ty Corbin said after Friday morning’s shootaround at Madison Square Garden. "That’s not saying we’re doing anything other than continuing to try to develop this group of guys. But we want to see where guys are, see what we have, and see where we go from here."

Thomas and Clark have regularly been listed as inactive, watching games from behind the bend, dressed in suit coats.

On Wednesday, Thomas got the nod in place of Biedrins, and though he did not see time on the court, the forward from San Diego State senses an opportunity.

"Very anxious," he said of awaiting his time on the court. "I’ve been working hard on just staying positive and waiting for my turn. It seems like it’s coming now. I just have to be ready when my name is called."

If that happens Friday as the Jazz look to end a four-game losing streak against the struggling New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden, it would be his first action in seven games.

Thomas has played in three games, logging a total of 17 minutes and scoring four points, since being waived by the Spurs and claimed by Utah earlier this season.

Clark, who turned 23 years old on Friday, is in a similar situation. The undrafted rookie out of Belmont has averaged 8 minutes in the 12 games he’s played this year. His last time on the court came Feb. 1 against the Clippers.

"It’s difficult," he said of the lack of playing time. "Anybody who’s been in my position would say the same thing. You just find ways to deal with it. My way is to not worry about it and just keep working."

In practice, Clark, a 6-foot-1 shooting guard, has been working on his ball-handling and play making, hoping to market himself as a true combo guard.

Thomas, a self-described energy and hustle guy, is honing his jump shot while still exhibiting the skill set that got him signed by the Jazz earlier this year.

"I feel like I’m 19, 20 out there because I have so much energy," he said. "I’m just ready to go all the time."

afalk@sltrib.com

Twitter: @tribjazz

Expected Lindsey to use the D-League like the Spurs do. Gobert and Clark should be down there.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #590
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

http://saltcityhoops.com/derrick-fav...ensive-issues/

I thought Favors had incredible length and strength?
Old 03-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #591
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
“I can't speak for everybody else,” Jazz co-captain Derrick Favors said, “but as for me, I'm just really (ticked) off right now about the performance and losing the way we've been losing.”

Good to hear he's not hapy about it anyway.

Quote:
The Jazz’s way of losing of late summed up: a lot and by a lot.

The Knicks improved to 23-40, although they looked like a potential playoff contender while dropping the Jazz to 21-41. OK, let’s not go crazy here. Sparked by Carmelo Anthony’s 29 points, New York resembled a team willing to fight for the eighth seed in the top-heavy Eastern Conference.

And the Jazz?

They looked like April 16, the final day of the 2013-14 season, can’t get here soon enough.

Utah trailed 39-22 after the first quarter and was down by 32 points at one point. The Jazz have now lost five straight games on this road trip, which mercifully ends Saturday night, by a combined 89 points.

This rebuilding team’s struggles have been so extreme while losing to the Cavs, Bucks and Knicks by 20 or more points the past week, flat-out tanking Philadelphia’s management might be scared to death that the Sixers, losers of 15 straight, could lose to the Jazz in a watch-at-your-own-peril matchup.

“We can’t go back in the past,” Jazz rookie point guard Trey Burke said after his four-point, 2-for-12 shooting night. “We’ve just got to move forward, learn from the losses and just keep playing hard.”

Shooting better than 41 percent and losing the turnover count 19-7, things the Jazz did, would help, too.

Scoring more than 22 points in a quarter, something the Jazz didn’t do, would also be helpful.

And then there was that wretched first quarter during which Utah watched Anthony score 18 points and the Knicks hit 70 percent of their shots while taking a soul-zapping 17-point lead.

“To give up 39 points in the first quarter on the road is difficult to overcome,” Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said.

It was enough to change the conversation back to Latvian basketball instead of Utah hoops.

Speaking of which, Biedrins explained that only one other Latvia athlete has ever played in the NBA. That was Gundars Vetra, a 6-6 swingman who appeared in 13 games for the Minnesota Timberwolves back in the 1992-93 season.

Biedrins also pointed out that a Latvian was drafted last June in the second round. However, 6-7 swingman Janis Timma was later cut after being the 60th pick of the 2013 draft.

“That’s it,” Biedrins said. “I don’t have any other Latvians. I’m here alone.”

And you might never see an NBA court again though I'd think there would be interest in him in the off season. He can rebound and defend.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #592
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
Good to hear he's not hapy about it anyway.

And you might never see an NBA court again though I'd think there would be interest in him in the off season. He can rebound and defend.
If he's willing to sign for the minimum then I reckon there'd be more than a few teams who'd sign him.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #593
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
If he's willing to sign for the minimum then I reckon there'd be more than a few teams who'd sign him.

Probably. He's done nothing this year so it's hard to say how much guaranteed money anyone wants to throw at him just because he was good before blowing out his knee.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #594
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Marvin is shooting only 25% from 3-point range over the last seven games.

bench him!

Quote:
Gordon Hayward had a slow start and turned it into a strong game with 13 points, eight rebounds, seven assists and two steals. He also had five turnovers.

The Jazz had a miserable time guarding Kyle Korver to start the game. He had Richard trailing him, while Burks went under … and nothing was working. Korver was lighting the Jazz up.

Burke had 21 in the second half after a two-point first half. He went to the rim more and attacked a few times in the open court.

Utah got the fast break going in the third quarter but in the fourth quarter became a half court slow-down team. Utah’s pace of play for the season is 27th and has been slower in the recent stretch.

With the young guys especially at home they should run, run, run!

Quote:
Four assists for Alec Burks, who is playing with a nice rhythm and is not forcing the game. He has made enormous strides.

Marvin and Richard got their game back tonight. Marvin had 18 points and six rebounds, and Richard had 15 points and had some nice open-floor plays.

Remember how awesome it was to have Kyle Korver closing out games on the line?

DeMarre Carroll was 3-for-5 from behind the arc. He has made 75 this year. He made 20 last year, seven the year before that, and zero the two years prior to that.

He looked like he had potential out there. Hopefully Evans can do the same thing.

Quote:
Millsap has attempted 159 3-pointers this season. He went 2-for-4 tonight.

Miss you big guy!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #595
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer had really positive things to say about the former Jazzmen before the game, but especially Paul Millsap:

“His defense probably isn’t talked about enough. His activity, deflections, blocked shots, changing passing angles, he’s just a really smart, active defener, and he just a ton for us on that end. Offensively, he does a little bit of everything. He creates a lot of great looks for his teammates, he scores for himself, he’s got a high basketball IQ, he’s increased his range and added the 3 point shot. And his leadership: when times are tough and we need somebody to pull the group together, oftentimes it’s Paul that pulls our group together. From leadership to defense to offense, he brings everything.”

As a longtime Paul Millsap admirer, it’s been nice to see him get the admiration he deserves this season. Of course, he’s now been recognized as an All-Star, but his plus/minus statistics and defensive contributions were often overlooked in Utah. It’s great to hear Budenholzer sum up his game so positively. As for the current situation in Utah, Ty Corbin probably summed it up best: “We miss Paul Millsap.”

Yes we do! You need to keep guys like him around especially for the contract he signed. I bet the Hawks try to extend him next year.

Quote:
2. Should a coach give his players the hair-dryer treatment when they’re underperforming?

That was the main topic of discussion before the game amongst media and coaches, and it was a fascinating glimpse into how a coach considers the psyche of his players. In particular, Corbin asserted that a main separator of good and bad teams was whether or not they had the self-discipline to know when they weren’t putting forth their best effort. “Good players and good teams know it,” Corbin said. By the time you jump on them, they’ve jumped on themselves and they’re going at each other a little bit.”

Of course, this is not a particularly good Jazz team. But according to Corbin, despite that, the Jazz are like a good team in that “they know when they haven’t put down their best effort or best performance. We’re trying to narrow it down so [the bad stretches] are not a game, but a half or a quarter.”

In the first half tonight, the Jazz didn’t give their best performance. They didn’t share the ball, garnering only 5 assists, and were giving up easy looks to the Hawks, who scored 59 in the 1st half. Corbin felt that it was time to act, trying to shorten the bad play, just as he said the team was trying to do before the game. Trey Burke said that “Coach got into us at halftime”, and it showed: the Jazz won the 3rd quarter 36-19, changing a 15 point halftime deficit into a 2 point 4th quarter lead. The halftime turnaround was a drastic improvement over the team that seemed to give up when down early on the road last week.

3. NBA’s new immediate player tracking shows some pretty interesting insights:

As you’ve probably heard all about by now, last weekend was the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston. I attended, representing ESPN, and one large topic of conversation was about how to best share the analytic revolution with fans. The NBA has embraced the statistical revolution, installing SportVu cameras in all 30 arenas this season, and even better, it’s started to share some of the results of that data immediately after the game ends with fans. Here’s tonight’s “Player Tracking” boxscore, from NBA.com:

Player tracking data from Jazz vs. Hawks
Player tracking data from Jazz vs. Hawks
It’s immensely helpful in trying to figure out what actually happened during a game. A few quick hits:

The Jazz shot just 42% on uncontested shots tonight, shots in which a player has no defender within 4 feet of the ball. That’s not very good. In particular, Hayward, Burks, and Kanter’s low totals indicate some fairly worrying shooting problems when left open.

Got to be able to knock down open shots in the NBA.

Quote:
Gordon Hayward may be the Jazz’s lead facilitator. Even playing alongside a true PG in Trey Burke

True pg?

Quote:
, Hayward picked up 7 assists, then added 2 secondary assists and 2 passes in which the receiver got fouled leading to FTs. On the other hand, Burke had just 4 assists, and just 1 “hockey” assist. While Burke still holds the lead in assists per game, Hayward’s actually pulled into a tie with Trey in another category: they both have 29 games this year in which they led the team in assists. It will be interesting to see how that “battle” develops going forward.
Burks had the 3rd most touches on the team. This is why the team believes he should still be on the bench: not because Jefferson or Williams are better players, but because he has a bigger role when he’s not in the starting lineup. While we don’t know for sure that Burks would receive fewer touches if he were starting, it seems likely: after all, there’s only one ball. Because of his place on the bench, Burks got the ball more than either Jefferson or Williams in fewer minutes. That’s true even in a game in which he scored under his season average.

makes a lot of sense. He's getting big minutes and crunch time minutes anyway.

Quote:
I wish the NBA would release the entire SportVu dataset to fans: as is, there’s too much proprietary work being done, creating unreproducible results and an information barrier between the haves and have-nots. But the release of the above data is a really great first step.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #596
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
With Al Horford having been injured most of the year, Millsap has taken on much of the scoring load and is averaging 13.9 FGA per game, the most in his career. Since his game has expanded and he takes more shots away from the basket than he did earlier in his career, his FG percentage has dropped to 45.8%. Part of the drop in FG% can be explained because he’s taking—and making—more threes than he ever has (making 1.0 on 2.8 three-point attempts per game, up from a previous high of 0.5 three-point attempts per game). His eFG% is .494, just a hair below his career-low of .498 last year, and his TS% is a very respectable .542. Not bad for a power forward who only attempted 20 threes his first four years in the league; he’s made 56 so far this year on 159 attempts.

Interestingly, despite moving to the perimeter, Millsap is also going to the line a pretty good deal: 5.1 FTA per game, a career high. He’s averaging a career-high 3.1 assists per game, a career-high 1.9 steals per game, and continues to grab a respectable number of rebounds, at 8.2 per game. With all the talk of the necessity of having a stretch four (despite Karl Malone’s protests),

Karl was on with the announcers and he loves Favors and Kanter together.

Quote:
along with Marvin Williams’ time playing the stretch four this season, who knew we had someone with the skillset to play that role all this time?

Anyone that was paying attention.

Quote:
Which begs the questions, is it the coach? Is it the system? Is it the personnel? Korver has also been having a fantastic season, and DeMarre Carroll has also been playing very well, with an also-expanding game.

Whatever the case, I’m thrilled that Paul Millsap is having a fantastic season, that he made the All-Star team, and that Jazz fans showed class and grace by giving him a warm reception. It was well deserved.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #597
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I heard local media guys (owned by the Jazz) chastising Jazz fans that were disturbed by the 26-point loss to one of the worst NBA teams in recent memory; using the logic that if you are cheering for the Jazz to lose this season (to get a better draft pick) then you cannot turn around and make negative comments when they do lose — regardless of how pathetic they look in the process.

That commentary is false.

Even the logical Jazz fans that are happy to see the team lose this season still realize that if the Jazz are to contend in the future, several of the young players on this year’s team will need to step up and be major contributors on those future teams. The Jazz are not the Lakers — a team with a bunch of non-foundational players that needs to start completely over from scratch.
I think it's ridiculous! Cheering for them to lose and than complaining about Ty, Hayward and wins.

Quote:
The Jazz are a franchise with a young foundation made up of two No. 3 overall picks (Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter), two No. 9 overall picks (Trey Burke, Gordon Hayward) and a No. 12 overall pick (Alec Burks). The Jazz are heavily invested in these players; and their performance, development and confidence matter a great deal in the Jazz’s plan for long-term success.

Jazz management had one simple overriding job this season — give their young core lottery picks 36 minutes per game, allow them to make mistakes and develop, and let the chips (standings) fall where they may.

If, under these circumstances, the Jazz had a winning season, then team management would know they were well on their way with this young core and could merely seek to retain these players and add or maintain complementary pieces around them in the years to come.

If, on the other hand, the team finished last in the NBA by playing those guys 36 minutes per game, then management would know they still needed to add at least one other foundational piece, and would have a phenomenal asset to do just that — a top-3 pick in a draft loaded at the top with players widely believed to be franchise, game-changing players.

Don't think there was ever a doubt they needed a franchise player still. They wouldn't be tanking otherwise.

Quote:
Jazz leadership, from top to bottom, has blown it this season.

Team executives blew it big-time right from the start by being noncommittal about their coaching situation. There is no excuse for management not knowing prior to the season whether Tyrone Corbin was the man they wanted leading the franchise long-term or not. Corbin had been the Jazz’s head coach since February 2011 and had been an assistant coach with the franchise since 2004.

You’re telling us, Jazz management, that you couldn’t sufficiently analyze Corbin’s coaching ability in nearly a decade with him before the start of the season? Instead you had to leave him in limbo to coach out this season — an extremely critical season in the Jazz’s progression — in uncertainty? You should have either extended his contract or cut him loose before the season. More time for evaluation should not have been necessary.

Can't say I agree. New GM. This year is a lot different than the past two years when they were fighting for the playoffs and trying to win. This year is about development.

Quote:
No wonder Corbin is passing that uncertainty on in his minute distribution and coaching to the players.

Against Milwaukee last Monday, former No. 3 overall pick Enes Kanter, whose minutes have been wildly inconsistent all season, scored 27 points on 16 shot attempts and had 14 rebounds in 35 minutes. In the 13 minutes Kanter was not on the court vs. the Bucks, the Jazz were outscored by 21 of the 26 points they ultimately lost by. Kanter was the most effective player on the court that night for the Jazz — by a mile.

How was the 21-year-old, third-year player rewarded for his efforts and performance? By averaging just 25 minutes in three games the rest of the week, despite continuing to outperform most other players on the team.
Offensively. He's got to get better in some areas. Having him getting killed on the defensive end could hurt his confidence which seemed to be the case earlier in the year.

Quote:
The team has been riddled with inconsistent, irrational minute distribution all season across nearly the entire roster. Is it that difficult to just identify your core guys and give them starter's minutes each game? If there was ever a season for an NBA team to do exactly that, regardless of the outcomes of the games, it was this season for the Jazz.

NBA executives, like many business professionals, want/need others to believe that their jobs are much more difficult and complicated than they seem. They are prone to speak with veiled superiority and essentially tell fans that they don’t get how hard it is.

Don’t buy it, Jazz fans.

Jazz management has seriously botched this season

They botched it by tanking. They could have been good this year while still giving the young guys bigger roles.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #598
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Despite winning only one game on Utah’s recent Eastern road trip, Williams says the team isn’t getting down on itself.

“Our morale’s been good all year,’’ he said. “Coach (Tyrone) Corbin has been so positive with this young group. He’s keeping us uplifted every day and he’s continuing to push us and keeping us in good spirits.’’

That's part of coaching
Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #599
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
"It’s just a more focused effort to get to the rim and make things happen," said Hayward.

The Jazz’s leading scorer on the season is getting 30 percent of his shots at the hoop over the past six games (compared to 23 percent for the season), and the rest of his game is following.

He's too streaky of a shooter to rely on his jump shot.

Quote:
He’s averaging 5.5 free-throw attempts a game, the most of any month this season. He’s finding his touch from mid-range. And he’s connecting on 38 percent of his triples.

"I’ve been playing all right," he said. "Playing a little better. It’s still not where I want to be. And we’ve still got to find ways to get wins. Personally, it’s been a little better. But the overall goal, we haven’t been as successful as a team."

Corbin believes success will eventually follow the Jazz’s young co-captain, whom he praised for his ability to cope with the stresses of a slump, a contract year, and a rebuilding season.

"I think he’s been great all year," Corbin said. "There’s been a lot of pressure on him from not signing early to trying to have a good year in a development situation with a young group of guys. … It’s a lot on a young guy and I think he’s handled it well all year."

Still, Corbin and others want the young guard to stay aggressive as the season wanes.

Karl Malone was sitting court side with the Utah Jazz broadcast team Monday, pontificating on all manner of issues, basketball or otherwise, when Hayward capped off the team’s third-quarter rally against the Hawks with a put-back dunk just before the buzzer.

"I want that kid to play like that all the time," the Hall of Famer said.

afalk@sltrib.com

We all do!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #600
Xiao Yao You
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
There are two levels of NBA success. First, you have to be good enough to take advantage of the other teams weaknesses, either scheme or personnel. Second is you become good enough to dictate the matchup yourself. We’re not at the second one yet. The Jazz doing the first was a good sign. The Mavericks are 29th in the league in restricted area FG% defense and 28th in FG% defense in the paint. Tonight the Jazz had an awesome night in the paint, scoring 56 points. In addition, the Mavericks are one of the worst teams in the NBA at defending the ball handler on the pick and roll. Trey took advantage with 20 points and six assists. This is a really big deal. If you can’t take advantage of weaknesses, it is an issue.

Kanter was solid off the bench tonight—18 points and 11 rebounds for the night.

That's more than solid.

Quote:
He is not holding his defensive verticality, though he thinks he is. He is getting better defensively, though the numbers are still startling when he plays lots of minutes—whether this team wins or not. This is simply a sign that he still has a lot of development ahead of him, but his offensive skill is becoming clear.

Been clear all along.

Quote:
The Jazz played a lot of the fourth quarter with Burke, Burks, Jefferson, Kanter and Favors. Gordon Hayward stayed on the bench. I have not talked to Coach Corbin, but my thought is that without Marvin on the floor the Jazz needed a shooter on the floor. With Kanter and Favors in the post and Trey and Alec at the guards, those are four non-shooters. Jefferson is a 42% 3-point shooter. Plus, Jeffferson’s ability to be in the corner for a three spreads the floor. Jefferson is one of the top five corner-three shooters in the NBA, and Hayward is one of the bottom five corner-three shooters, so when it was decided that Burks was going to stay on the floor to create, it may have meant that Hayward’s lack of shooting prevented Corbin from putting him back on the floor. I don’t know this for a fact, but it seems like a reasonable explanation. You are welcome to disagree with it, but it was not without some logic—and moreover some reasonable logic.

That could be a problem moving forward with these guys and why Burks and Hayward starting together may never be a good idea.

Quote:
Alec Burks had a career-high eight assists.

Sometimes games are really basic: make shots. When the Mavericks led 95-93 with 3:51 left, Alec Burks got a wide-open three and missed, and then Ellis (who is a lower percentage 3-point shooter than Burks) buried his and the Mavericks led it by five. Switch it around and the Jazz are up by one with the ball and 3:20 left. Crazy how sometimes it is so simple.

Hayward played 35 minutes and played well. He missed two good-look threes in the fourth quarter. One would have put the Jazz up by six and the other would have tied the game. Gordon is 11-for-47 on 3-pointers in the fourth quarter this year.

Dirk is fabulous. It is really an honor to watch him play, call games he plays and he a part of the NBA that includes Dirk. He went 11-for-13 for 31 points … are you kidding me?! He’s the 12th all-time leading scorer in the history of the NBA. He’s 35 years old and I can’t see him slowing down anytime soon. His work ethic is in the class of Karl Malone. His dedication to his craft is equaled only be the greats of the game. It is a pleasure to watch.

See you Friday for the Clippers.

I wouldn't put his work ethic up with Karls'. Karl would have never gotten out of shape like Dirk did during the lock-out.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: