Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 03-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #646
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

Quote:
LaQuinton Ross Leaves Ohio State For NBA Draft

Mar 24, 2014 | Jeff Goodman/ESPN

LaQuinton Ross averaged 15.2 points and 5.9 rebounds per game as a junior.

Might look at him as G's possible replacement. Shot pretty good from 3. Can score. 7'1 wingspan! late 2nd round projection. Jazz just have their own 2nd rounder at the moment but after last year who knows what picks they will end up with on draft day.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #647
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Sophomore forward JaKarr Sampson, the second-leading scorer on St. John's, has decided to forgo the remainder of his collegiate eligibility and enter the NBA draft. Red Storm coach Steve Lavin said Monday that the 6-foot-9 Sampson has not hired an agent but is in the process. The early entry deadline is April 27.

Sun Herald

Looks like he may not even get drafted
Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #648
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The league’s beefed-up revenue-sharing system will also help the bottom line. The Bobcats are expected to receive just north of $20 million in revenue-sharing payouts, the highest figure in the league, according to a half-dozen sources who reviewed a memo the league sent out recently listing revenue-sharing projections. Several other small-market teams could receive around $15 million apiece. Grantland

I assume the Jazz are in their somewhere. That could pay the front end of Hayward's contract.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #649
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Shams Charania: French prospect Mouhammadou Jaiteh, 19, will declare for the NBA draft and gauge feedback to frame decision to stay, source tells RealGM. Twitter @ShamsCharania

Big and long. late 2nd round projection. Someone to stash possibly.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #650
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Artem Klimenko will enter his name in the 2014 NBA Draft, his US agent told Sportando. The 7-foot rhe Russian big man born in 1994 is averaging 15.1 points and 7.1 rebounds in 24 games with Avtodor. Sportando

Thin. Looks like a non draftee.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #651
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Jeff Goodman: Georgia State coach Ron Hunter told me that his son, sophomore guard R.J. Hunter, will return next season. Underrated draft prospect. Twitter -

projected mid 2nd rounder next year

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 03-25-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #652
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
First Team All ACC guard Marcus Paige announced on twitter Monday that he will return to UNC for his junior season. Paige's first tweet put Sunday's round of 32 lost Iowa State to bed and looked forward to next season: "Time to move on and focus on improving this offseason. Next year has a chance to be special!" CarolinaBlue - 247Sports

early 2nd next year
Old 03-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #653
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
One continual issue for the Jazz: making uncontested shots. The Jazz were awful while not being guarded tonight, shooting a remarkable 29.5% without a defender within 4 feet. This killed them against the pack-the-paint Pistons. It’s hard to say what a coach can do to fix this.

Got to hit open shots at this level.

Quote:
2. A quick thought on analyzing game rebounding numbers.

The Jazz got beaten on the boards badly, garnering just 33 rebounds to the Pistons 53. This is true. But as with all basketball stats, context is important. The first important thing to look at when you’re comparing rebound totals is how many rebound opportunities there were on defense for both teams. That 20 rebound differential seems like a lot, but when you take into account that the Pistons had 12 more shots to rebound on the defensive end, it doesn’t seem quite as bad.

Another contextual point: the NBA’s SportVu cameras track rebound chances2 for each game. The Pistons garnered their 53 rebounds in 81 opportunities (65%), while the Jazz got their 33 rebounds in 56 chances (59%).

So yes, the Jazz still got beaten on the boards, but it’s not the game-defining advantage that it appears to be at first glance. Instead, the key to the game was the percentage that each team shot from the field.

3. The Jazz’s turnovers were low. But is that a good sign?

The Jazz recorded a season low 7 turnovers tonight, but still lost by 20 despite their carefulness with the ball. That’s a good thing, yes, but is another example of how little secondary advantages and disadvantages sometimes matter. eFG% remains king.

Weirdly, though, I’m kind of worried by this. Kevin Pelton of ESPN has done some interesting research which indicates that turnovers are actually a positive statistical indicator for young players: in short, it shows that the player has some fearlessness and playmaking potential that he’s at least trying to take advantage of.

In particular, Trey Burke has the 4th best turnover % amongst NBA starting PGs. Sounds pretty good, right? But it might indicate that he’s not going for the pass as often as he should be.

not much doubt about that.

Quote:
In particular, the guys around him amongst the low turnover PGs are all much better shooters than Trey is right now. Names like Lillard, Calderon, Conley, and Irving probably should be shooting as often as they are with their relatively efficient jump shots. On the other hand, Burke has shot only 38% for the season, his team might be better served by trying to be a playmaker a little bit more often. If that increases turnovers, so be it: the Jazz don’t have a lot to lose anyway. It’s probably worth finding out what kind of offense Trey Burke can really create through playmaking for others.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #654
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The Jazz defense has been on a steady decline for the month of March and this was the nadir. The Pistons came in 27th offensively over the last 10 games, they were 27th in FG%, they had been shooting 31% from the three point line and tonight they shot 55%, 53% from three scored 114 points. Crazy

Jazz were +1 with Kanter and Favors on the floor together tonight in 19 minutes and -21 the rest of the game. The Jazz shot 15-for-34 (and 5-for-15 from 3-point range) with Kanter and Favors on the floor tonight.

Seeing potential there finally but it was against two other young bigs.

Quote:
We talked all night on the broadcast about how bad the Pistons are with both bigs on the floor and how good they are with one of the two on the floor. Tonight this proved true as well. In the 17 minutes Drummond and Monroe were together, the Pistons were -5. In the other 31 minutes they were +25.

Sounds like the same issues as the Jazz. Might just be the game has changed and it's hard to play two bigs together anymore.

Quote:
The Jazz had no fast-break points until the 4:20 mark of the third quarter.

ridiculous

Quote:
Gordon Hayward was the bright spot with 32 points and six assists tonight.
The Jazz were 13-for-44 (29.5%) on uncontested shots tonight. The Pistons were 22-for-42 (52.3%) on uncontested looks. That is a minimum of 18 points in a 20-point game.

Marvin can’t make a three right now. Everything is front rim. He was 1-for-5 and is now 9 for his last 45 from deep.

let's hope he is gone soon!

Quote:
Favors reverted back to being inconsistent. Thurl Bailey said on our broadcast that we have seen how much the Jazz miss Favors when he doesn’t play, and tonight should count as one of those nights.

the cornerstone of the franchise!

Quote:
No bench spark without Alec Burks.

See you Wednesday night.

Posted in Emptying the Noggin

Not to mention Kanter starting.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #655
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Playoffs aren’t a possibility this year and never were for the rebuilding Utah Jazz.

They were before they decided to tank.

Quote:
There is, however, a big offseason prize up for grabs, and the more losses the team piles up, the better chances it has of getting in a prime position to do well in the lottery to determine the draft order.

That scenario has put some fans in a conundrum this season, particularly as the 2013-14 campaign comes to a conclusion.

Should fans cheer for the Jazz to win for pride, fun and lessons learned? Or should fans hope the Jazz lose so they can acquire more pingpong balls for the lottery?

Point guard Trey Burke didn’t mince words when asked about the concept of choosing losses over wins, something that reared its head around Jazzland after his game-winning 3-pointer Saturday.

“I think that’s just selfish for a fan. We play hard, practice hard every single day. Why would we want to go out there and try to lose?” Burke said. “Wherever we do land in the lottery, that will be great for us, but to try to tank games and lose games, I think, is just absurd.”

The fact that you have started all year with no competition means the front office is trying to lose.

Quote:
Burke’s corner 3 with 1.6 seconds remaining Saturday helped the Jazz snap a six-game losing streak and win for just the second time in 13 games, so he had no conflict of emotions after the 89-88 victory over the Magic.

The competitive 21-year-old struggles to see how fans could have, either.

“You want to win. Obviously, every night you want to try to win,” he said. “I’m sure if they were in our shoes and experienced the losses we’re experiencing, they would want to win as well. I just think it’s just absurd.”

Utah isn’t the only market that is dealing with this so-called tanking issue this season. The same is happening in proud NBA cities, including Los Angeles with the injury-riddled Lakers, Boston and Philadelphia, among others.

It’s hard for players to hear that their own fan base is rooting against them this season even though the hope is for a brighter future.

“As a player, that kind of sucks that they’re kind of rooting for us to lose,” Jazz captain Gordon Hayward said. “But you see where they’re coming from. We’re mathematically out of the playoffs. Fans just want to be better for the coming years.

“But as players, we’re trying to win every game. That’s what we go out to do. We can’t think about stuff like that.”
Old 03-26-2014, 09:03 AM   #656
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

The Jazz again played without their bench spark plug as sixth man Alec Burks missed his second game with a sprained left ankle. The good news there is that Burks was able to do some running Monday morning, giving Corbin hope that he’ll return soon.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #657
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

"I mean, who you gonna play him in front of?" Jazz coach Ty Corbin asked a reporter when the question of Gobert’s playing time was posed Tuesday.

While Corbin has extolled the virtues of getting rookie point guard Trey Burke extended minutes, allowing him to learn from game situations, those opportunities have been sparse for Gobert.

"Putting a guy in a bad spot, where he’s just on the floor looking bad, it does nobody any good," Corbin said. "Because the guy knows it. Everybody around him knows it. And people in this league, they have an advantage, they’re not going to pull back from the guy. They will embarrass a guy, bury him. I don’t think that’s good for any young guy to put him through. … I don’t think Rudy’s that way. He does some things on the floor to help himself and help us. I just want to make sure I put him in a spot where he has a chance to be successful."

Corbin said the young Frenchman needs to get stronger and is still working to understand his role within the offense.

"Actually, I think in some ways, he’s ahead of where we thought he would be," Corbin said. "He was so raw, especially offensively. He does somethings defensively that can help, but you’ve got to play both sides."

The coach added, "I like him. I like what he’s done. I like his growth this year. He has a lot more growing to do."

Gobert, meanwhile, said he believes he’s making strides in his game. He’s added seven pounds this season and said he feels more comfortable on the floor.

"I think I’m more a threat offensively. In practice I can do some post moves now," he said. "I feel better offensively. I think in the game it’s more about confidence. I don’t want to do something because if I do it bad coach is gonna take me out. … When you play like this it’s not easy. I think it’s just confidence, offensively."

Gobert is making plans for the offseason, including joining the Jazz in Las Vegas for summer league and playing on his national team.

"I’m just going to work," he said.

Work and wait.

afalk@sltrib.com

Twitter: @tribjazz
Old 03-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #658
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

The biggest problem comes on the offensive side. Corbin said the young player is learning the importance of timing and how essential it is for him to get proper position on pick-and-rolls, in the post, and during other plays the Jazz run.

“He has to make sure he’s in the right spot, and faster,” Corbin explained. “If you’re off a little bit, you throw your whole rhythm of the offense off.”

Gobert also needs to improve his handwork — from catching the ball when it comes his way to holding on to it when powerful opponents try to knock it out of his hands while pushing him out of his spot.

“They’re stronger. They’re more mature. They understand how and when to hit you to make you lose the ball and throw you off-balance,” Corbin said of NBA big men Gobert has to face. “He has a lot to learn.”

It’s somewhat frustrating for Gobert because he said he “was catching the ball every time” last year when he played in France.

The center also said he feels “more comfortable” with how he fares in practice against the stronger Kanter and Favors than when he gets into real-game scenarios. That’s especially the case on offense.

“I think in the game it’s more of a confidence,” Gobert said. “I don’t want to do something because if I do it bad Coach is going to take me out, if I do mistakes. When you play like this, it’s not easy. I think it’s just confidence, offensively. Defensively, it’s easier because it’s more intensity. You don’t have to think, you just have to play hard on defense.”

C'est la vie, right?

"I think in some ways he’s ahead of where we thought he would be. He was so raw, especially offensively," Corbin said. "He does some things defensively that can help you, but the other side of the game, you've got to play both sides."

Gobert has worked on adding bulk to his lanky frame, and has even been able to increase his weight from 238 pounds to about 245 and build lower-body muscle with the help of strength and conditioning coaches Mark McKown and Isaiah Wright. That’s taken a lot of time in the weight room before practices and even in hotels on the road.

Gobert looks forward to returning home to work out before returning to Utah a couple of weeks ahead of the Las Vegas Summer League, where he hopes “to show … what I can really do.” After that, the Parisian plans on trying to help France win the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain.

The big man with big potential has big dreams after that.

“In five years,” Gobert said, “I want to be an All-Star. That’s my goal. And win a title.”

Of course, those accomplishments will take something he’s become very familiar with his rookie season: Patience, patience, patience.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #659
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
This is a forgiving, appreciative sports market, but Utahns never should have to endure another season like this one.

It's what the majority of the fan base wants.

There’s a strategy in place to keep that from happening, starting with a high draft pick in June and the development of young players who have shown intermittent promise.

The Jazz have asked a lot of their fans this season, and they’ve stuck with the team to a remarkable degree. Even if the 2013-14 attendance will be the lowest in the 23 seasons of ESA’s existence, an average crowd of 18,000-plus is impressive to me.

The fans in the building obviously care about winning, even when the Jazz stand to gain from losing. They moan about missed shots, buzz when a 3-point attempt floats through the air and celebrate victories, although there’s no comparison to the atmosphere of the old days — like, six years ago.

Robert Olson remembers. The Farmington resident became a Jazz fan in the Deron Williams era, when the team went 37-4 at home in 2007-08 and ESA was "completely rocking," he said.

It’s different now, on the court and in the stands, although Monday’s announced crowd (17,595) was decent, considering the opponent. And most of them were surprisingly tolerant of such a lousy effort, staying longer than they should have and hardly booing at all.

Detroit "outworked us," said Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin, whose team lacked "a sense of purpose."

Prior to Monday, I could pinpoint five home games with no redeeming value — losses to Denver in November, San Antonio in December, Minnesota in January and Toronto and Minnesota in February.

Those were balanced by some memorable games, including Diante Garrett’s debut in a victory over New Orleans, Derrick Favors’ winning dunk against the Los Angeles Lakers, Hayward’s 37 points in a defeat of Oklahoma City, the team’s poised effort in beating Miami and Trey Burke’s winning 3-pointer against Orlando last Saturday.

Those successes apparently were enough to keep people coming back.

"From all the comments I hear from people that are coming to the games, they enjoy watching the young guys get better," Corbin had said earlier. "That’s great for our fans. They understand where we are. … We’re being evaluated, and our fans deserve to make sure they’re getting their money’s worth."

They’re not deceived, though. Olson appreciates how the Jazz have given season-ticket holders additional benefits. "You can tell they are really trying to go the extra mile to make you feel valued — which is nice, because the team is terrible," he said.

Walking around the upper concourse, Chad Robbins of Herriman stopped to explain why he brought his 7-year-old son, Blake, to ESA for a meaningless late-March game. "Free tickets," Robbins said. "We used to come a little more, but not now. It’s not worth the money."

And then I found another father and son who’d spent exactly $3.08 for two tickets via Stub Hub. They overpaid, based on the product that was served up Monday.

kkragthorpe@sltrib.com

Twitter: @tribkurt
Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #660
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Wednesday, on John Stockton’s 52nd birthday, rookie point guard Trey Burke reflected back on some of the lessons he learned spending time with the Jazz legend this summer.

"He taught me a lot," Burke said. "I think the main thing is just staying the course. He told me his rookie year he didn’t have the type of year he wanted, or he wasn’t playing as much as he maybe thought he could have. I always think about that. He told me you’re going to face adversity. You just have to learn how to get through it and continue to learn from your mistakes."

afalk@sltrib.com

Twitter: @tribjazz

He should have been starting and Rickey should have been traded when his value was high. Instead they lost him for nothing in the expansion draft.

Let's hope you will visit John again this summer. You need it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: