Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #46
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Post your favorite soul-crushing, depressing songs

Thanks for all the posts. I try to listen to everything that gets posted.

To the people that have posted songs but offered no explanation, would you care to offer one? Why does the song come across as sad? Is it the lyrics? The voice? Perhaps the sound of the instruments? Do any of the lyrics stand out or strike you as having powerful emotions behind them? Does a song remind you of a situation or person?
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #47
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy

To the people that have posted songs but offered no explanation, would you care to offer one? Why does the song come across as sad? Is it the lyrics? The voice? Perhaps the sound of the instruments? Do any of the lyrics stand out or strike you as having powerful emotions behind them? Does a song remind you of a situation or person?

Videotape: I guess I find it relatable. It's made me cry a few times. 'No matter what happens now we shouldn't be afraid, because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen.'

Gets me every time.

Someone Like You: A song about heartbreak. I could have written that damn song. I can't get over someone and that song sums up how I feel pretty accurately. plus, I love Adele.

Dance With My Father: I've never met my father. I guess it brings up weird emotions. Also it's a beautiful song. Sad, but beautiful.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #48
ROCSteady
WALL*BEAL*NASH*KOBE

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Great song. I seem to listen to that song on repeat for a couple weeks at least once per year.

Yea it's very applicable to my life. I'm certainly no failure or anything but I haven't created a family of my own and my life has been a little unconventional. I can relate. Overall, I'm blessed and been very happy in many areas but there have been periods where I had to ask myself, " What happened to my optimism and desire for the nuclear American ideal?"
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #49
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The Antlers - Kettering

The reason I posted that is because it is basically the saddest song I have ever heard. The album it is from is a semi-biographical documentation of the lead singer watching his girlfriend die in hospice care. The lyrics for Kettering are pretty devastating.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #50
TheReturn
Rnbizzle 2.0

TheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected posterTheReturn is a pretty well-respected poster

I love depressing music. Not sure why because I'm not a particularly negative person or whatever, but I just do.

Here are some of my favorites:
Gorillaz - El Manana - Should really watch the video too, it's too depressing haha, but I love it.
Modest Mouse - The World At Large
Citizen Cope - Sideways (ft. Santana) - Perfect rainy day song
The National - About Today
TheReturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #51
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven

Soul Asylum - Runaway Train

These songs were pretty big when I was in high school. I overlooked how heartbreaking these 2 songs were. Now as a parent these lyrics hit very deep

The back story behind the Eric Clapton song is his son had crawled off a hotel balcony and died at 4

Runaway Train is written about kids who runaway from home and have resorted to drugs. They look desperately for somebody to save them and bring them out but they've become too addicted that it leads to suicide.

I guess I never became aware of this until having my son which opened my eyes to these lyrics and feel the pain of losing a child. These sons were hits when I was a teen so I really looked at these tunes as yawners, never really looked at the meaning
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #52
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

TheReturn - Good call on The National. The lead singer just has a voice made for those types of somber songs. I really like Cardinal Song.

The National - Cardinal Song
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #53
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Balmorhea - Baleen Morning
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CB2wPf8ffIQ#

This one will always eat me up inside. I did the music for a family member's funeral once.

It is gorgeous. But now it always represents pain.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #54
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Ingrid michaelson - Ghost
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Sfc4Oht9c#

It's just sad. It's also quite close to how I've felt for a while now.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #55
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Ingrid michaelson - Ghost
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Sfc4Oht9c#

It's just sad. It's also quite close to how I've felt for a while now.

She has an amazing voice. Excellent song.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:45 AM   #56
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:

Vince Staples's verse on Vicks reminds me of my adolescence.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #57
ihoopallday
King James

ihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation hereihoopallday has a near all-star reputation here

These songs always get me all depressed and shit.

Flaw: Wait For Me
http://youtu.be/30C149lavMo

Goo Goo Dolls: Iris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVn...e_gdata_player

Last edited by ihoopallday : 11-14-2013 at 03:55 AM.
ihoopallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #58
LBJ 23
Local High School Star

LBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLBJ 23 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bano114

Nirvana- Where Did You Sleep Last Night (live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaCzydWesVA

Haven't heard this amazing song for so long so I searched on youtube and came across this version. Goddamn look at 4:47 it's like he got possessed by the devil for a second

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXYz0gtJeM
LBJ 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #59
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $

Brand New - Play Crack The Sky
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EJxaL6iN534#

A friend once told me it sounds like he was crying. And it does. This one has significance to me because of this friend. Also, it's a good song.

Last edited by ShannonElements : 11-14-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #60
Chuckbrook
Chuckle Chuckbrook

Chuckbrook is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:

First, I think this is a great thread.

The song I would like to add to this thread is called "Ready for Love" by India Arie.

I recently fell in love with this song after watching the video. She sings it with so much emotion and it seems like she really means what she's singing. There's a part between 2:53 to 3:27 where she just seems so vulnerable and it makes me feel a certain way inside. I'm not even attracted to her, but the way she looks when she's speaking those words really gets to me. I just want to comfort her and give her what she wants.

I know most of the guys on here are unemotional "tough guys" but take the time to watch this video if you get the chance. It just shows how emotional women can be and how strong the feel about finding love and things like that. As a man, sometimes its good to try to see things from a woman's point of view.

-Brook
Chuckbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: