Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 AM   #46
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Oscars anyone watching lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekavorka
I'd take Halle Berry's **** over singing and talent.

With Halle Berry getting an oscar for Monster's Ball, hopefully it will convince young and attractive women to do more sex scenes.

Well, seeing as how Jennifer got an Oscar without the sex scene, guess you hoped wrong. I'll pray for you, dawg, because one day you'll realize how you really sounded in that statement.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:31 AM   #47
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade
What was the last award that the departed got?

It got Best Picture
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:34 AM   #48
thekavorka
Good High School Starter

thekavorka has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean77
Well, seeing as how Jennifer got an Oscar without the sex scene, guess you hoped wrong. I'll pray for you, dawg, because one day you'll realize how you really sounded in that statement.

It'll all be worth it once Beyonce wants that oscar and does a sex scene with Scarlett Johansson.
thekavorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:02 AM   #49
Kujo
National High School Star

Kujo has decent reputation

Let me just say that's it a joke that "The Departed" won best picture. No way in hell is that the best picture of the year. It's not bad, and it's worth watching once, but it's highly over-rated. "Infernal Affairs", the original chinese film it's based on is superior. The best picture of the year is "Children of Men", and it wasn't even nominated. A joke.

Great to see Forrest Whitaker finally get an Oscar. He's the best actor on the planet imho. I gotta see "The Last King of Scotland".

Pan's Labryinth should have won the Oscar for best Foreign film (it's a masterpiece), but "The Lives of Others" is brilliant, though I didn't enjoy it as much as PL. Bottom line is that the both films trump "The Departed".

End of rant.

Last edited by Kujo : 02-26-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:31 AM   #50
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
The best picture of the year is "Children of Men", and it wasn't even nominated. A joke.

I must strongly disagree with you there.

It saddens me that I've already heard Children of Men being mentioned as a modern sci-fi classic alongside Blade Runner (just one example). To me, Children of Men has about the overall impact that a Face/Off or True Lies or The Lord of War had. The only thing it had on those movies was that it was clearly technically superior.

There was little depth to the characters, little exploration of the main theme, and at times it was just emotionally empty. It was an exciting "chase movie" with some thrilling action sequences but was lacking in depth. I'm not saying it's a bad movie but it just baffles me the insane amount of praise it gets. It's more of a 7/10 rather than a 9 or 10.

If people really need to anoint any modern sci-fi films as classics, give Dark City the attention it deserves and shower more praise upon Minority Report. Those two are worthy. (This isn't directed at anyone specifically... just a growing opinion among people that has bugged me)

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 02-26-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:41 AM   #51
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

All this taking place 1.5 miles from my house, screw celebs.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:51 AM   #52
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Cool is considered somewhat coolCool is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
All this taking place 1.5 miles from my house, screw celebs.

What if Eva Longoria or Jessica Alba where 1.5 miles away at that show? I dont think you would be saying this.
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #53
Kujo
National High School Star

Kujo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

I must strongly disagree with you there.

It saddens me that I've already heard Children of Men being mentioned as a modern sci-fi classic alongside Blade Runner (just one example). To me, Children of Men has about the overall impact that a Face/Off or True Lies or The Lord of War had. The only thing it had on those movies was that it was clearly technically superior.

There was little depth to the characters, little exploration of the main theme, and at times it was just emotionally empty. It was an exciting "chase movie" with some thrilling action sequences but was lacking in depth. I'm not saying it's a bad movie but it just baffles me the insane amount of praise it gets. It's more of a 7/10 rather than a 9 or 10.

If people really need to anoint any modern sci-fi films as classics, give Dark City the attention it deserves and shower more praise upon Minority Report. Those two are worthy. (This isn't directed at anyone specifically... just a growing opinion among people that has bugged me)

Dark City was brilliant. I agree with you. I really liked Minority Report as well, which surprised me.

Let me ask you a question. So are you saying that "The Departed" is a better film than "Children of Men"? Just wondering.

I just think the last two winners of the best picture award haven't deserved it at all (Don't even get me started on "Crash").

Last edited by Kujo : 02-26-2007 at 09:05 AM.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #54
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I just think the last two winners of the best picture award haven't deserved it at all (Don't even get me started on "Crash").

Oh I'm with you there. I thought Crash was solid but nowhere near Best Picture worthy. It was definetly a movie with heart and depth but way way WAY too heavy handed with it's message. Some of the plot contrivances bugged me too. At times I felt like I was watching some high school "message movie" about how racism is bad. OK I GET IT!! IT'S BAD!!

Munich, Brokeback Mountain and Good Night and Good Luck were all much better choices for me.

It's strange because some people this year have compared Babel to Crash. I thought Babel was much better and definetly deserving of the attention it's received. It didn't hammer me over the head with it's messages and I like the international feel of it. Then again, I've been a huge Inarritu fan since the first time I saw Amores Perros.
Quote:
So are you saying that "The Departed" is a better film than "Children of Men"? Just wondering.
Yes. I also loved Little Miss Sunshine and yet it seems like a such simple film. I enjoyed it far more and thought the acting was far superior there but COM clearly has the technical edge. I guess it depends what you weigh more in your preferences. Twice in COM I was in awe of the amazing camera work but overall I just didn't get any sense of wonder. You always try to compare movies similar in style/subject to them and to me, Children of Men didn't really do anything extraordinary.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 02-26-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: