Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #16
J Miles 23
I hit open layups

J Miles 23 has an OK reputation so far

i really don't understand y houston would give u Swift and Gay..for battier.....1 for 1 is some what respectable..but this is just dumb
J Miles 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #17
gad

they had to include swift as part of the cap. battier earns like 8 million next year. including swift makes it work under the cap rules. all the more i am dumbfounded why houston made this deal. imagine gay swift and tmac in the team. athletic and full of potential. they needed to get younger and more athletic but since stan is in charge we can expect a grind it down style. hai.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #18
nothingfrequency
Can barely lace up my sneakers

nothingfrequency has an OK reputation so far
Question

yea, weird move for Memphis getting Stro Swift back - when he was with them he didn't do much, they let him go, he signs with the Rockets, doesn't do much, now they wanted him back? My guess is he was more of a toss-in, and I'm pretty sure the deal was Rudy Gay and Stromile Swift for Shane Battier and a first round pick. Don't quote me on that, but that's the only way it would make sense from Houston's POV considering how much they gave up.
nothingfrequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #19
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
battier earns like 8 million next year
Actually, he only makes 5.3 million next year.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #20
hehehaha

hehehaha has an OK reputation so far

Any one have a breakdown of the salaries/yrs signed on theses guys? I'm dumbfounded on why this trade took place.
hehehaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #21
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

NBAfan32 has an OK reputation so far

I like it for both teams really. Rudy Gay can turn out to be one of the best players in the draft and going to Memphis, i feel he'd be able to get his shot and contribute right away. I really didnt expect Gay to be traded but Battier is a great fit for the Rockets. Rockets are in a win now mode it seems, although Gay couldve been solid, Battier is more proven and is a JVG type of player.
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:51 PM   #22
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Let's not kid ourselves. I'm tired of spinning this trade.

We got jobbed. Horribly.

We are in "win now" mode, but giving up Rudy Gay and Stromile Swift for Shane Battier is just awful. It really is.

I don't mind parting with Stro because he likely won't succeed here with JVG and he's just dumb, but we should at least be getting something back in return. This leaves us with Chuck Hayes and Juwan Howard at the 4.

Battier is the perfect player for our squad, but damn............Rudy Gay. He's perfect. I've been sitting here for the past half day trashing the guy and attempting damage control by finding every flaw I can. But you really can't knock the kid. And so what if he doesn't want to be "the man" right now and take charge in games? We don't need him to. We just need him to be a deadly third option.

This trade is absolutely awful. I can't fuccking save face anymore. My body temperature dropped to zero when Ric Bucher said we would be trading this pick for Battier.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #23
DreamRuled
Kids at the park dunk on me

DreamRuled has an OK reputation so far

fatty pretty much has it right. the trade sucks. even if we get a future 1st rounder, barring a season similar to Houston's last season, it won't be that good. Plus, we still need another big...Juwan is old, chuch is short and novak is soft...there has to be some further moves coming after july 12th, or else CD is trying to screw the team so the incoming GM loks bad.
DreamRuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #24
fatboy11

Hopefully, New Orleans will help us out and do a sign and trade with David Wesley and a future 1st rounder for PJ Brown. They'll done deals with us the last two years and it appears they have their big men of the future in Simmons, Armstrong, and David West. They also have Brandon Bass who has potential.

We're in "win now" mode hardcore right now, it seems. PJ has one or two years left to really contribute to a team and he would fit our mold perfectly.

C - Yao/Mutombo/Lampe
PF - Brown/Howard/Hayes
SF - Battier
SG - McGrady
PG - Alston/Head

Spend the MLE on someone like Mike James who can interchange at the 1 or 2 along with Luther Head and try to find a gem at SF and we should be good. Maybe re-sign Keith Bogans as well.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #25
DreamRuled
Kids at the park dunk on me

DreamRuled has an OK reputation so far

We need to re-sign Bogans. He'll be solid for a long time, even if he's never spectacular. Forgot about Lampe...maybe the coaching staff saw something to make them think he can be a rotation player at the 4...? Not likely, but hopefully.

If we take on James, we arn't helping ourselves much. I don't think he really fits with the team we have right now. Also, I heard a rumor that T-Mac didn't like his tendency to chuck up shots so much...and does James really think he's an MVP candidate, or just even more of a loudmouth than we realize?
DreamRuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:13 AM   #26
bail
Serious playground baller

bail has an OK reputation so far

Gay is overrated.
bail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #27
Pointguard01
I airball my layups

Pointguard01 has an OK reputation so far

If by overrated you mean a bordorline All-Star....

Houston got robbed...
Pointguard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #28
H-ToWn_LoKo

H-ToWn_LoKo has an OK reputation so far

I agree we did get robbed but would houston like a championship right now or in a few years till Gay develops.....we all know that JVG does not play rookies and Gay would not be an exemption....With Battier and one more quality addition (PG) houston can become a contender
H-ToWn_LoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #29
pirate army
I airball my layups

pirate army has an OK reputation so far

It's obviously a questionable deal for Houston, but you have to be concerned with Gay's reaction to 'slipping' from (realistically) 5 or 6 to 8. If he hangs his head for falling a couple draft spots, at the perfect moment to start showing up everyone who says his head's not right, what's he gonna do when he gets exposed by established pros?
Like Shane Battier.
Okay, maybe not.
pirate army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #30
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation

Fatboy, you'll diss the pick on this message board, but u stick up for battier on houston's board? doesn't make any sense, just like the trade.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: