Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
LALakerFan4Life
16 Time NBA Champions!

LALakerFan4Life has an OK reputation so far
Default Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:

More tough-love talk from Cosby
He joins Save Our Children forum

By DAMON C. WILLIAMS

Comedian, author and native Philadelphian Bill Cosby posed a serious question yesterday to the audience at a Save Our Children forum in the auditorium of Community College of Philadelphia.

He first asked audience members who had lost loved ones to violence to stand up. More than 75 percent of those in the room stood.

"This is insane," he said. He then asked his question, "Where are we going as parents, as people?"

Speaking in simple, blunt terms, Cosby urged parents not to address their children in negative ways.

"Your child's name is not n-----, your 2-year-old child's name is not mother------," Cosby said, to rousing cheers and just a few gasps from parents in attendance.

Cosby's main issues in his keynote address as one of a number of speakers at the Community College-sponsored "Save Our Children - Exhoodus Tour" were parenting, education and drug-selling, all of which he touched on with just a hint of comedy.

Typical of Cosby's style of stinging and controversial commentary, he also faulted the love shown to the late rapper Tupac Shakur. He said it was crazy for Shakur, who was fatally shot in Las Vegas in 1996, and his mother to enjoy the proceeds from Shakur's drug sales.

"In the book, 'To Momma With Love,' or something like that, he is so happy that he's able to take money from selling cocaine and give the money to his mother," Cosby said.

"How wonderful. Isn't that wonderful. You've got to be kidding. How many lives have you ruined selling packets? How many mothers are not going to go to work because they want to snort? How many dead mothers because of crack, how many babies we got to make turn around because they are crack babies?"

Cosby said the house Shakur bought his mother should be adorned with the pictures of users who died due to drug use.

"Hang up the pictures of the people's lives you ruined," Cosby declared.

Cosby also briefly addressed the criticisms he has endured recently, saying that he doesn't pick on the poor but rather, he tells it like it is.

"[People say] 'Bill Cosby is picking on the poor.' I couldn't care less," Cosby said, with a little edge in his voice. "I'm telling you why your child is sad inside. I would keep my mouth shut if [parents] were doing things."

Cosby also said that he had the right to say what he says because he came from where the people he was addressing came from.

"Up to the age 26, [I lived at] 6159 N. 41st Street," Cosby said. "So don't play games with me. I've seen all of you, whether you are rich, poor or middle-income. And I know when you talk too much, and I know why you talk too much. And that's why I can say what I want to say."

Cosby was joined by Malik Aziz and Bilal Qayyum of Black Men United for a Better Philadelphia; the Rev. Derrick Johnson, of Joshua Harvest Church in Wilmington, Del; Umar Salahuddin, Atlantic City's director of health and human services; Michelle A. Simmons of Why Not Prosper, Inc.; Antoinette Jackson-Aziz, executive vice president of the Ex-Offenders Association of Pennsylvania; and brothers Lance and Todd Feurtado, motivational speakers from Queens, N.Y.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/16754428.htm

He must not have heard alot of 2Pac
LALakerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Derek
Good High School Starter

Derek has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Cosby couldn't be more correct. Tupac was one of the greatest rappers, but he indeed sold drugs. He even admitted it in Tupac: Ressurection. When 75% of the room has lost a loved one to violence, that alone says something. I think Cosby made his point during the first 10 seconds.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #3
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Pac is not even the main subject in his artical.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:32 AM   #4
kenuffff
Great young streetballer

kenuffff has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALakerFan4Life
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/16754428.htm

He must not have heard alot of 2Pac

he knows 2pac made most of his money rapping right?
kenuffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:16 AM   #5
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

I'm a fairly young brother who grew up hip hop, and I'm on Cosby's side. My people hate the straight truth. I'm sick of hearing people of my race spinning the truth like everything is the goverments fault, then turn around and sell drugs for the government. All drug money eventually ends up in the governments hands. I have yet to hear a rapper talk about that. Naw they in the trapz, they gotta feed they famlee.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:17 AM   #6
0ne50
Local High School Star

I'm a fairly young brother who grew up hip hop, and I'm on Cosby's side. My people hate the straight truth. I'm sick of hearing people of my race spinning the truth like everything is the goverments fault, then turn around and sell drugs for the government. All drug money eventually ends up in the governments hands. I have yet to hear a rapper talk about that. Naw they in the trapz, they gotta feed they famlee.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:17 AM   #7
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

I think there's enough blame to go around. But I like how blunt Cosby is.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:31 AM   #8
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

Cosby has been at this for YEARS. He's always spoken out against a gangster culture and bad parenting. Can't say I disagree with his message.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

I have a problem with Bill Cosby.... and it is not because he chooses to talk about the problems kids face in the inner city..

Its because he refuses to go to the neighborhoods and preach the message to the people he is talking about....

If Bill Cosby cares about those people, he will go to 25th and Tasker, or to Richard Allen projects or any project and talk to them about what he thinks their problems are... He can be blunt as he wants, but please take the message to the people and stop grandstanding for TV and the papers..

the guy is a hypocrite..

People say "He's telling the truth" as if that is the sole requirement to positive support for these people..

Bullsh*t..

I could write and Op-ed in the news paper about Cosby's fondling of women and his daughter who flunked outta Spelman because she was partying too hard, or maybe I could write about how he created characters like Mush mouth and rudy, but now he cant relate to people who dont speak proper english.... I would be telling the truth but I wouldnt be helping the situation at all...I would just be puttin Bill on blast for everybody to examine....And that is all he is really doing here..

He gives money to Spelman and Morehouse....But the people he trashes kids wont ever make it that far... He knows where the kids& parents are that he is talking about and he has yet to go to those neighborhoods...

He complains about the names people name there children (like Ennis is a normal name for a kid)..guy is a hypocrite and its a shame to watch him granstand on folks who have no way to respond to his criticisms...he's on some old bully sh*t... If he came at those people like he really cares, he might really be able to do something positive...... You know like Jim Brown did

Jim Brown has opened his home and gone to the community where these people live, he doesnt spend his time ripping these people, he spends his time getting to know them and working with them to improve themselves..And if & when Jim Brown does decide to rip these people, his words will have 150% more impact and credibility than Cosby's

Cosby needs to get his own life in order first and then he needs to go to those people and HELP them improve instead of traveling the country preaching to the choir

This gets into the whole culture war between black folks with money and black folks with none (or as Chris Rock said "black folks vs. n*ggas) I have alot more to say and I will in a minute

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 02-27-2007 at 12:36 PM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

As far as 2pac goes. I think pac tried to create a revolution when he was alive. the only problem with his revolution is that it was built on hate.... He tried to redifine thug life and tried to create some sort of movement. He let his hate override his brilliant mind and it ultimately consumed him. To say his moms home should have pictures of crack heads in it is just dumb... If we were to use that standard, think of what some other people's home would look like...

Sh*t - whoever owns budweiser should have pictures of dead alcoholics in their homes..

Only heaven knows what George Bush's home would look like

The theme of that story (as was the theme of alot of pacs music) was that he was still happy to provide for his momma no matter how he did it..

Let me ask a question..... Who do you respect more?

*the guy who is homeless and begs for money to avert death
or
*the guy who is homeless and says "I'll be damned if my family is gonna starve and die" so he goes out starts selling/commiting crimes

which one?

Pac used to talk about revolution and the poor people being let into American society...(I wasnt a big fan of his music, but early on when he would speak on issues, I could see a young prophet inside of 2pac) he talked about being a flower that grows through the cracks in the concrete of the worst hood you could dream of... He spoke about the beauty of that, how a flower could still grow under these conditions, then he talked about how people would still miss the value of this flower and continue to try to stamp it out...he was on some powerful sh*t before he got wrapped up in fighting with Biggie and gangbanging and other stupid stuff

more to come

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 02-27-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
det2orl
Good High School Starter

det2orl has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
As far as 2pac goes. I think pac tried to create a revolution when he was alive. the only problem with his revolution is that it was built on hate.... He tried to redifine thug life and tried to create some sort of movement. He let his hate override his brilliant mind and it ultimately consumed him. To say his moms home should have pictures of crack heads in it is just dumb... If we were to use that standard, think of what some other people's home would look like...

Sh*t - whoever owns budweiser should have pictures of dead alcoholics in their homes..

The theme of that story (as was the theme of alot of pacs music) was that he was still happy to provide for his momma no matter how he did it..

or
*the guy who is homeless and says "I'll be damned if my family is gonna starve and die" so he goes out starts selling/commiting crimes

which one?

Pac used to talk about revolution and the poor people being let into American society...(I wasnt a big fan of his music, but early on when he would speak on issues, I could see a young prophet inside of 2pac) he talked about being a flower that grows through the cracks in the concrete of the worst hood you could dream of... He spoke about the beauty of that, how a flower could still grow under these conditions, then he talked about how people would still miss the value of this flower and continue to try to stamp it out...he was on some powerful sh*t before he got wrapped up in fighting with Biggie and gangbanging and other stupid stuff

more to come

I would respect the one who tried legal means to support his family. Going out and robbing and selling drugs is not a noble thing no matter the reasoning behind it. There are always alternatives. By robbing and selling, one only adds to the misery bringing others down. Especially since the robbing and selling is almost always done to our own. IMO the black community as a whole should be considered a family (the way it was in the 60s and early 70s) so when you commit crimes against other blacks you're hurting and killing your own family.

You're right about one thing, a young Pac (I loved his first two albums and HATED most of the rest) had the potential to lead a black revolution. I don't necessarily mean a bloody revolution. He had the charisma and knowledge that could've re-instilled the pride blacks had in themselves as a whole. Instead he let himself get caught up in the gangsta/thug image that so many young black men opt for and the easy money that it brings.
det2orl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.

emsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation hereemsteez forreal has an incredible reputation here

sheed, i think that the reason why cosby doesn't GO to the hood is, why? the first time he was like "black people need to take responsibility for their actions" everyone freaked out. most people that his statements apply to are way too ignorant to actually listen. what good would it do to talk directly to the people anyway? i don't think it would make much of a difference. and haven't you ever seen pictures of pac AND biggie as kids? neither of them needed to sell no kinda drugs. they were both low-middle class at worst. i know pac actually could afford to go to a good university and biggie's dad was some kinda politician. biggie was just greedy and wanted the new stuff all the time.. y'kno, kinda like the people bill cosby's talking about.. which is why he started to sell drugs and whatnot. i still agree with dr. huxtable, 'cause i'm agreeing with his statement, not his actions that compliment his statements.
emsteez forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #13
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I would respect the one who tried legal means to support his family. Going out and robbing and selling drugs is not a noble thing no matter the reasoning behind it. There are always alternatives. By robbing and selling, one only adds to the misery bringing others down. Especially since the robbing and selling is almost always done to our own. IMO the black community as a whole should be considered a family (the way it was in the 60s and early 70s) so when you commit crimes against other blacks you're hurting and killing your own family.

you are right.. there are alternatives. The black community has always struggled, but ever since crack hit, the family structure has completely fallen apart and its killing us..... I just had a convo with someone about about Oprah school in Africa and the hardships those girls face and I asked this question "who has taken a bigger hit? the black people in this country after crack tore apart the neighborhoods or Africa where AIDS has just about destroyed their community? Of course these questions really have no wrong answers, just more an examination of issues and people's thoughts on them.... you make good points tho.

Quote:
You're right about one thing, a young Pac (I loved his first two albums and HATED most of the rest) had the potential to lead a black revolution. I don't necessarily mean a bloody revolution. He had the charisma and knowledge that could've re-instilled the pride blacks had in themselves as a whole. Instead he let himself get caught up in the gangsta/thug image that so many young black men opt for and the easy money that it brings.

right again....

Quote:
sheed, i think that the reason why cosby doesn't GO to the hood is, why? the first time he was like "black people need to take responsibility for their actions" everyone freaked out. most people that his statements apply to are way too ignorant to actually listen. what good would it do to talk directly to the people anyway? i don't think it would make much of a difference. and haven't you ever seen pictures of pac AND biggie as kids? neither of them needed to sell no kinda drugs. they were both low-middle class at worst. i know pac actually could afford to go to a good university and biggie's dad was some kinda politician. biggie was just greedy and wanted the new stuff all the time.. y'kno, kinda like the people bill cosby's talking about.. which is why he started to sell drugs and whatnot. i still agree with dr. huxtable, 'cause i'm agreeing with his statement, not his actions that compliment his statements.

I think the response to his first trantrum was 50/50 some people loved it, some hated it...

Its obvious why he should take his message to the people who need it...Its all in the approach...

The message is much better received if Bill Cosby approached the people as a person who wants to help... Like I said earlier, I could do what Cosby did by writing about him to the public and rippin him a new ass. I would be telling the truth, but would Bill Cosby benefit from my truth telling? No he wouldnt.. He'd probably depise what I had done (just like he despises Eric Dyson for writing his book about Cosby and his hypocracy).... Its the same dynamic.....

A guy like Jim Brown has already put his time and effort where his mouth is and if Jim Brown were to stand up and say what Cosby did(verbatim even) it would have a whole lot more credibility

I wanna talk about the war between n*ggas & black people... I'll get to it in a moment.. so much to say
Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #14
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Rasheed1 brings up the best point. Cosby should have a more hands on approach.. literally.. to this issue he considers an "epidemic."

besides, in America everyone has a choice to do whatever he and she feels they want to do.

the white man should give more opportunities to the African American community, and so something to promote it.

but after that, if the members of their community still choose not to do so, then they have no right to complain.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #15
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
I have a problem with Bill Cosby.... and it is not because he chooses to talk about the problems kids face in the inner city..

Its because he refuses to go to the neighborhoods and preach the message to the people he is talking about....

If Bill Cosby cares about those people, he will go to 25th and Tasker, or to Richard Allen projects or any project and talk to them about what he thinks their problems are... He can be blunt as he wants, but please take the message to the people and stop grandstanding for TV and the papers..

the guy is a hypocrite..

People say "He's telling the truth" as if that is the sole requirement to positive support for these people..

Bullsh*t..

I could write and Op-ed in the news paper about Cosby's fondling of women and his daughter who flunked outta Spelman because she was partying too hard, or maybe I could write about how he created characters like Mush mouth and rudy, but now he cant relate to people who dont speak proper english.... I would be telling the truth but I wouldnt be helping the situation at all...I would just be puttin Bill on blast for everybody to examine....And that is all he is really doing here..

He gives money to Spelman and Morehouse....But the people he trashes kids wont ever make it that far... He knows where the kids& parents are that he is talking about and he has yet to go to those neighborhoods...

He complains about the names people name there children (like Ennis is a normal name for a kid)..guy is a hypocrite and its a shame to watch him granstand on folks who have no way to respond to his criticisms...he's on some old bully sh*t... If he came at those people like he really cares, he might really be able to do something positive...... You know like Jim Brown did

Jim Brown has opened his home and gone to the community where these people live, he doesnt spend his time ripping these people, he spends his time getting to know them and working with them to improve themselves..And if & when Jim Brown does decide to rip these people, his words will have 150% more impact and credibility than Cosby's

Cosby needs to get his own life in order first and then he needs to go to those people and HELP them improve instead of traveling the country preaching to the choir

This gets into the whole culture war between black folks with money and black folks with none (or as Chris Rock said "black folks vs. n*ggas) I have alot more to say and I will in a minute

or

which one?

more to come
This is the black spin I'm talking about. "don't listen to Bill Cosby because he named his son Ennis, his daughter flunked, he fondled some woman, he didn't say what he said in Philly".... that's just what I'm tallking about. Peep this, a long time ago he got on Eddie Murphy about using profanity, eventually Eddie listened (somewhat) and made children's movies. It was beneficial to Eddie and to the kids he entertained, was it not? If Bill just went to Philly and say what he said, then how would that help people who don't live in Philly?

I never understood how people could call other people out for being hipcritcal. Have'nt we all gone against our better judgement? Are we to celebrate going against our better judgement, to keep from being viewed as a hypocrit? Because I know alot of people who do that and they call it keeping it real.

And I love what Jim Brown for what he is doing. but his message never reached my part if the world. I have never seen Jim Brown in my city or heard of him being here. Not to say what he is doing is the wrong way. He is one man doing the right thing and not criticizing someone else's way of doing the right thing.

And 2pc was a mess. Aint nothing cool about gangbanging. Aint nothing cool about hitting women. Aint nothing cool about dividing the country in half. Aint nothing cool about showing off his money, guns, jewelry, pouring liquor on his hoes if front of the camera. You wount see Bill cosby stomping someone out at a casino. Yet somewhere in all of that there was to be a positive message to black people.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: