Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #16
0ne50
Local High School Star
 
0ne50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 878
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
the white man should give more opportunities to the African American community, and so something to promote it.
he did, he gave drugs, schools, programs, and libraries. Like kids choose jiff, my people chose drugs.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #17
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year
 
Tarik One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,714
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Cosby is a direct representation of pompous shortsighted blacks who do nothing but fingerpoint without looking at the broader scope of problems within urban areas. It's as if he's putting the onus of poverty solely on blacks themselves which is ridiculous.

Last edited by Tarik One : 02-27-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #18
Sean77
High School JV MVP
 
Sean77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 576
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Bottom line of what Cosby's saying, been saying, is don't complain about the negative and wrong direction our children are going in if your're not actively doing your part as a parent and/or mentor to point them in the right direction. It's like voting, if you didn't even go vote don't complain when the person you don't want gets in office.

It's just the truth, y'all of us as black people have let ourselves go so far into left field for so long, we are comfortable in our mess. Anyone see Daddy's Little Girls? Too many of us act just like the mother in that movie, we have such a warped mindset in our own lives that we end up starting the next generation on a seriously bad note. Can't blame the white man for that, and we can't give the "Daddy wasn't there for me" argument without looking at how we have individually added on to the problem.

My mom raised three kids, two with both our fathers somewehre else, the youngest with his father there but had a 26-year drug addiction, so basicaly she had four children to deal with in the house. But just because my father wasn't there does not give me license to act simple and keep the cycle going. There has to be a point where we stop using our upbringing as an excuse to just live foul, much less train our children to live foul. We may not be able to choose how we came into this world, but we can decide where we go from there...or to stay where we've been and not progress.

This is bigger than what a TV personality like Cosby said, if it came from the neighborhood bum it would still be a cold, hard, fact.

Last edited by Sean77 : 02-27-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #19
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,884
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Ot

Heard someone say the white people should give more opportunity's to the black people.

Well if your a minority and have anywhere decent grades you can get to a college VERY easily. If you white and only have decent grades its much harder.

So I don't want to hear about it.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:52 PM   #20
0ne50
Local High School Star
 
0ne50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 878
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean77
Bottom line of what Cosby's saying, been saying, is don't complain about the negative and wrong direction our children are going in if your're not actively doing your part as a parent and/or mentor to point them in the right direction. It's like voting, if you didn't even go vote don't complain when the person you don't want gets in office.

It's just the truth, y'all of us as black people have let ourselves go so far into left field for so long, we are comfortable in our mess. Anyone see Daddy's Little Girls? Too many of us act just like the mother in that movie, we have such a warped mindset in our own lives that we end up starting the next generation on a seriously bad note. Can't blame the white man for that, and we can't give the "Daddy wasn't there for me" argument without looking at how we have individually added on to the problem.

My mom raised three kids, two with both our fathers somewehre else, the youngest with his father there but had a 26-year drug addiction, so basicaly she had four children to deal with in the house. But just because my father wasn't there does not give me license to act simple and keep the cycle going. There has to be a point where we stop using our upbringing as an excuse to just live foul, much less train our children to live foul. We may not be able to choose how we came into this world, but we can decide where we go from there...or to stay where we've been and not progress.

This is bigger than what a TV personality like Cosby said, if it came from the neighborhood bum it would still be a cold, hard, fact.
It's funny 'cause Bill Cosby could have come out and said, "I love my n*ggas but where's my b*tches", and the media would have been in an uproar, but my people would think he was cool for saying that.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #21
0ne50
Local High School Star
 
0ne50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 878
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
Ot

Heard someone say the white people should give more opportunity's to the black people.

Well if your a minority and have anywhere decent grades you can get to a college VERY easily. If you white and only have decent grades its much harder.

So I don't want to hear about it.
Yeah its the black version of affirmative action, the white version of affirmative action has been around much longer and have way more benefits. Goodbye!
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #22
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,884
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

I'm not a racist why can't everything be equal? Why do schools have to have so many of each race? The person with the best grades gets in.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #23
0ne50
Local High School Star
 
0ne50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 878
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Everything should be equal. But it's not, never has, and probably never will. And why do you think that they only sneak black people in the back door? Believe you/me, for every black person being stuck through the back door of a University there's is a whiteperson being snuck through the back door of a better University. You don't have to accept it. But hopefully you will get you college degree and be in a position to help us get closer to equality.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #24
det2orl
Good High School Starter
 
det2orl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 850
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
I'm not a racist why can't everything be equal? Why do schools have to have so many of each race? The person with the best grades gets in.
Because everyone isn't starting from the same point.
det2orl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #25
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,543
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:
This is the black spin I'm talking about. "don't listen to Bill Cosby because he named his son Ennis, his daughter flunked, he fondled some woman, he didn't say what he said in Philly".... that's just what I'm tallking about.Peep this, a long time ago he got on Eddie Murphy about using profanity, eventually Eddie listened (somewhat) and made children's movies. It was beneficial to Eddie and to the kids he entertained, was it not? If Bill just went to Philly and say what he said, then how would that help people who don't live in Philly?

you missed the whole point kid.....

Its not spin....Its an understanding that a message will be better received by a person who brings it out of love rather than grandstanding..

I never said "dont listen to Bill because of blah,blah" dont twist what I said....

my point is quite clear....If Bill wants to be a positive force to those people then he needs to take that message to them and they'll accept from him face to face..

Kids in the projects would be overjoyed to see Bill Cosby come to their neighborhood where not even the cops and the pizza man will go


Quote:
I never understood how people could call other people out for being hipcritcal. Have'nt we all gone against our better judgement? Are we to celebrate going against our better judgement, to keep from being viewed as a hypocrit? Because I know alot of people who do that and they call it keeping it real.

again, you missed the point. The point isnt to say "dont listen to someone who has done wrong before...

the point is: Bill Cosby's word aint worth sh*t when he comes at people the way he does.....His past problems put him in the same category as alot of people he talks about in some of these situations.

he would be better accepted if he came to help instead coming to just talk.

Quote:
And I love what Jim Brown for what he is doing. but his message never reached my part if the world. I have never seen Jim Brown in my city or heard of him being here. Not to say what he is doing is the wrong way. He is one man doing the right thing and not criticizing someone else's way of doing the right thing.

yeah but again, if Bill Cosby helped (instead of just grandstanding and moving on) and others helped those people, the effect would be greater.

Goes to my point about the war between n*ggas and black folk. Until blacks with money get serious about helpin blacks without money, there will always be this class war. This war has been going on a long time. All the stuff Cosby said has been said for years...Its time to go to the hood and put in the work necessary to begin to fix the situation....No one else is gonna help us fix the situation but us...

Cosby could have these people's ears...better yet he could have their hearts if he approached them as though he was hear to help instead of just to talk down to them...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #26
0ne50
Local High School Star
 
0ne50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 878
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:
you missed the whole point kid.....
I missed nothing you are from Philly and Bill is from Philly, so you have a skewed point of view. You jumped right into "he think he all that" mode. You are missing his point, he is not saying "look at what I made of myself"... he is saying "you can be better than me"

Quote:
Its not spin....Its an understanding that a message will be better received by a person who brings it out of love rather than grandstanding..
It's funny how we can call each other n*ggers, and b*tches but when a black person tell another black person "you can do better" feelings get involved.

Quote:
I never said "dont listen to Bill because of blah,blah" dont twist what I said....
When you respond to someone as a hypocrit, I mean what exactly are you saying? What's the cause and effect of calling someone a hypocrit.
Quote:
my point is quite clear....If Bill wants to be a positive force to those people then he needs to take that message to them and they'll accept from him face to face..
Can you guarantee that? Basically you are saying, that, what he is saying is positive, but you don't agree with where he was standing or sitting when he said it. Which leads me to your next point.

Quote:
Kids in the projects would be overjoyed to see Bill Cosby come to their neighborhood where not even the cops and the pizza man will go
Yeah because he is famous, not because he is bringing a positive message.

Should he just bring his mesasge to a town near you and hope all the love spreaps on it's own?



Quote:
again, you missed the point. The point isnt to say "dont listen to someone who has done wrong before...

the point is: Bill Cosby's word aint worth sh*t when he comes at people the way he does.....His past problems put him in the same category as alot of people he talks about in some of these situations.

he would be better accepted if he came to help instead coming to just talk.
MLK had some questionable offenses in his lifetime too. His word aint sh*t? Is your word not sh*t? I mean you are here on this message board grandstanding like you never done anything. The reason you are here voicing your opinion because it will reach more people. (you know anybody else who has done that?) And if you did anything should you mute yourself in fear of being called a hypocrit.





Quote:
Goes to my point about the war between n*ggas and black folk. Until blacks with money get serious about helpin blacks without money, there will always be this class war. This war has been going on a long time. All the stuff Cosby said has been said for years...Its time to go to the hood and put in the work necessary to begin to fix the situation....No one else is gonna help us fix the situation but us...

And the spin is on, You mentioned what Bill should do, what Blacks with money should do, not once what blacks without money should do. Again we have someone talking about how it's someone elses fault. Pathetic.

Last edited by 0ne50 : 02-27-2007 at 05:44 PM.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #27
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,543
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
I missed nothing you are from Philly and Bill is from Philly so you have a skewed point of view. You jumped right into "he think he all that" mode. You are missing his point he is not saying ";ook at what I made of myself"... he is saying "you can be better than me"

My point of view is skewed because we are are from the same area huh? Doesnt make any sense, but whatever...

and Yes you are clearly missing the point because its not about what he is saying at all..Its about what he is not doing.....time is past for grandstanding rich black folks to simply talk about a problem and not move to effectively come to a solution.

I see these kids every single day in schools and in the mentoring process and they need hands on guidance... they dont need Bill Cosby standing in front of a microphone at CCP rippin them in their absence.... He needs to become apart of their reality...

like the saying goes... "with great success comes great responsibility"



Quote:
When you respond to someone as a hypocrit, I mean what exactly are you say? What's the cause and effect of calling someone a hypocrit.

Its not said for effect.....Its what he is... He basically challenged some guy in a wheelchair at an event because the guy disagreed with him...His head aint on straight when it comes to this issue... He told the guy "you dont deserve an audience with me" because the person disagreed with him.... WTF is that about?

you wont get the people who need to hear you to actually hear you when you act like that...You make yourself the story instead of the problem..

If he took a different approach, he'd get a different response

Quote:
Can you gaurantee that? Basically you are saying that what he is saying is positive, but you don't agree with where he was standing or sitting when he said it. Which leads me to your next point.

Im not saying its positive or negative...Im saying it has no effect from where he is coming with it.... He can say whatever he wants to those people once he shows that he is in it for their best interest... & they'll listen to him if he did that...

You ask do I gaurantee .. No I dont gaurantee....But I do gaurantee that his present approach isnt and wont ever work... Its a waste of energy when you consider that black folks have been having this conversation for decades

I have seen the course of action I proposed work... It works everyday

Quote:
Yeah because he is famous, not because he is bringing a positive message.

It doesnt matter why it works, so long that it does indeed work... do you understand this?



Quote:
MLK has some questionable offenses in his lifetime too. His word aint sh*t? Is your word not sh*t? I mean you are here on this message board grandstanding like you never done anything. The reason you are here voicing your opinion because it will reach more people. (you know anybody else who has done that?) And if you did anything should you mute yourself in fear of being called a hypocrit?

Like I already said... It doesnt matter that he has done wrong before...In fact he should know better precisely for that reason...Him criticizing people when you can look at his history and see he's done alot of the same sh*t amounts to "do as I say, not as I do"

nobody is gonna follow him or listen to him coming from that angle....

MLK was loved and revered because he LED the marches.. He didnt just pay some lip service and throw couple dollars at some schools.. He got with the people and made a real difference...People listed and trusted him because of his EXAMPLE more than any speech he ever made..MLK could have been a total f*ck up and people would have still followed on the civil rights issue because he had earned their trust by being willing to get bit in the ass by dogs along with the people he asked to also get bit in their asses

Again the point is that black folks with some clout and some money have to pull together and help the people out who dont have it...If they dont think it is their job or their concern, then why even speak on it?










Quote:
And the spin is on, You mentioned what Bill should do, what Blacks with money should do, not once what blacks without money should do. Again we have someone talking about how it's someone elses fault. Pathetic.

Blacks without money cant do sh*t until people who know better and have the resources to help teach these people how to live better.. not grandstand on them....

Let me ask you a question....How the hell can Bill Cosby rip children and parents who never had half of what he has over things he himself has done? If he has done these things too, then how can he look down on other who done it too? And let me remind you that this guy is around 69 years old....What his excuse? He might not call women "b*tches and hoes" but he sure does seem to treat them like "b*tches and hoes" .....


is there a difference?

Again, his past discretions wouldnt matter if he approached those people like someone who cares instead of another person who runs their mouths but never shows up to see and experience what their lives are really like..Like I said, Jim Brown could give the same speech to the people he has worked with and they'd accept it from him because they know he really cares he has already proven it to them...

Its gonna take Bill Cosby, Oprah, Jim Brown, Rappers, Basketball players, Football players.. the regular dude out here like me... all working together to solve this problem...Thats the reason you never heard Jim Brown's message where you live...Because Jim is one man and it will take a whole lot of Jim Browns to fill the void... No one person can do it alone..

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 02-27-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #28
0ne50
Local High School Star
 
0ne50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 878
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:
It doesn't matter why it works, so long that it does indeed work... do you understand this?
No I don't understand that. He might as well show up with a gang of strippers while clutching a 5th of Hennessey in his right hand and his left hand holding his nuts. Bumping that Jeezy in the background. Then throw $80,000 worth of hundreds and fifties into the crowd, Then say get your grind on n*ggas. Yeah people would be feeling that. That's how much it doesn't matter, if he is showing up to be seen. Funny thing is we had a celebrity come to my town to speak on the issues...that's not the funny part, the funny part is... I don't remember who the celebrity was or where he spoke, I just remember the incident because someone got shot.
Quote:
Let me ask you a question....How the hell can Bill Cosby rip children and parents who never had half of what he has over things he himself has done?
I'll answer your question straight up. Bill wasn't born rich, maybe he made some mistakes along the way maybe his mistakes happened after. He set goals and pursued them in an overall positive way. How many comedians can do Stand up that you can watch with the whole family? The crazy thing is I sitting here defending a person who has been clean and positive since forever. We ain't talking about a person who has went to jail for rape, brandishes weapon on camera for the world to see, spits at a camera, raps about killing someone else's kids, then turns around and tell the people to keep their heads up.

It's funny how the person who acts like a fool 24/7 can tell people do the right things and no one come out swinging.... but a person who for the most part that has a pretty clean resume with a few bad things there can't say a thing. Someone will cry HYPOCRITE.

Well the word Hypocrite is meaningless. Show me a person on this planet who is everything he says he is all the time.
Quote:
My point of view is skewed because we are are from the same area huh? Doesn't make any sense, but whatever...
Yes skewed. I give you an example. I was born and raised in America, I know all of this negative information about this country of ours, meanwhile some person can come from another country and know more about achieving the American dream than me, because he focused on the positives of living here.

Last edited by 0ne50 : 02-27-2007 at 07:51 PM.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #29
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,543
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:
No I don't understand that. He might as well show up with a gang of strippers while clutching a 5th of Hennessey in his right hand and his left hand holding his nuts. Bumping that Jeezy in the background. Then throw $80,000 worth of hundreds and fifties into the crowd, Then say get your grind on n*ggas. Yeah people would be feeling that. That's how much it doesn't matter, if he is showing up to be seen. Funny thing is we had a celebrity come to my town to speak on the issues...that's not the funny part, the funny part is... I don't remember who the celebrity was or where he spoke, I just remember the incident because someone got shot.

???you're losing me here???

your imagination is pretty good, but Im not sure how that is relevant to what we were discussing.... If he is coming with his message and he shows up to give it and helps to teach those people how to achieve these goals. They will listen to it...

People in the ghetto live a different kind of life then people in the regular world.. It takes more than condescending criticisms from Bill Cosby to fix the problem..

For example: In this city, in these hoods, people often use violence or the threat of violence to get things done...If you owe me something and you dont seem to want to anti up fast enough for my liking, I'd have to threaten to kick your ass, or kill you in order to make you understand that I want what's mine right now....

But see when people from the ghetto come outside the ghetto, they often still use this tactic when it doesnt work like that in the regular world... These people need to be taught how communicate and how to generally get things done in the "Regular World"..

Sh*t, I have to explain to parents all the time that threats dont work in the workplace, they cant threaten teachers and faculty because they need these people to help them.... They need to be taught how to operate properly in the regular world...this takes time...People need to learn how to provide a stable and safe environment for their children to learn and grow...they need to be taught how to prepare their children for college or at least prepare their children to be productive adults......


Quote:
I'll answer your question straight up. Bill wasn't born rich, maybe he made some mistakes along the way maybe his mistakes happened after. He set goals and pursued them in an overall positive way. How many comedians can do Stand up that you can watch with the whole family? The crazy thing is I sitting here defending a person who has been clean and positive since forever. We ain't talking about a person who has went to jail for rape, brandishes weapon on camera for the world to see, spits at a camera, raps about killing someone else's kids, then turns around and tell the people to keep their heads up.

You keep dwelling on nonsense... Nobody would care what Bill Cosby did in his past if he didnt give the message out the way he did... When he says that kids should be shot in the back of their heads by police because they stole something...he is grandstanding....

You know, There is an order of operations to these types of situations. If Iam trying to constructively criticize someone(for their own good), I would need to have a certain relationship with a person before I can effectively call them out. If you call out a stranger on his personal lifestyle, he will say "f*ck you" end of story...But if you approach the person as someone who is genuinely here to help, they will take your criticisms alot better because you have built some trust with them

Quote:
It's funny how the person who acts like a fool 24/7 can tell people do the right things and no one come out swinging.... but a person who for the most part that has a pretty clean resume with a few bad things there can't say a thing. Someone will cry HYPOCRITE.

Well the word Hypocrite is meaningless. Show me a person on this planet who is everything he says he is all the time.

you seem to have a big problem with the word hypocrite, but hey, he is what he is

And once again I will say that it doesnt matter if the person is a known problem or whatever the case may, people will listen to a person who is sincere and is willing to help lead the group out of a problem.....

Malcom X was in jail for this and for that when he was known as Red.... You think he didnt deserve to be listened to when he wrote his books worked in the community?

Nobody cared about his past problems, they were enthralled with his redemption...Thats what this is all about.. helping people find their redemption..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #30
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,642
Default Re: Bill Cosby Hatin' On 2Pac Nasty Style

Quote:
Let me ask a question..... Who do you respect more?

*the guy who is homeless and begs for money to avert death
or
*the guy who is homeless and says "I'll be damned if my family is gonna starve and die" so he goes out starts selling/commiting crimes
I respect the guy who goes "I'll be damned if my family's gonna starve and die, so I'm going to get a fcking job like the rest of the normal world." I think you forgot that one.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy