Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #31
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 23,453
Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta
It may not be affected congenitally from birth, as a traumatic childhood with sexual abuse can often lead to pedophilia later in life.

Either way, it is certainly not a choice. I don't know why it is so hard for people to accept this, when most are so dogmatic about the fact it isn't a choice in the case of homosexuals.

There will be many people who are pedophiles that never act on their desires, and never tell anybody about them. For these people it is a very unfortunate condition, likely to lead to self-hatred, depression and misery.

I could see that pedophilia isn't a choice, but they should not act on it. The difference with being gay, if that is the comparison we are going to going for, is that sex between 2 gay people involves consenting adults and therefore acting on it is not wrong.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #32
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,602
Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
They're trying chemical castration:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...iminal-justice

Very interesting... I like that it's completely voluntary. Forcing someone to do it would definitely be too punitive. This drug could seemingly work for violent people as well as it reduces testosterone.

I think there are a lot of forces at work though that determine whether someone feels it... and even more for someone to act on it. Genetic predispositions seem like the most relevant though as this sort of thing happens to people everywhere.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 11-19-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #33
magnax1
Not a mormon
 
magnax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: becoming BTEs supervillain
Posts: 19,372
magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I could see that pedophilia isn't a choice, but they should not act on it. The difference with being gay, if that is the comparison we are going to going for, is that sex between 2 gay people involves consenting adults and therefore acting on it is not wrong.
I think everyone agrees they shpuldnt act on it. Its just there are probably better ways to deal with it than throwing them straight in jail. I actually listened to an interview of a pedophile who willingly chemically castrated himself to kill the urges.
magnax1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #34
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,602
Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
I think everyone agrees they shpuldnt act on it. Its just there are probably better ways to deal with it than throwing them straight in jail. I actually listened to an interview of a pedophile who willingly chemically castrated himself to kill the urges.

And that should be applauded, rewarded, ect. That is extremely admirable and responsible. More stories like that need to get out.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #35
Dresta
BANNED!!!!
 
Dresta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,837
Dresta posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDresta posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I could see that pedophilia isn't a choice, but they should not act on it. The difference with being gay, if that is the comparison we are going to going for, is that sex between 2 gay people involves consenting adults and therefore acting on it is not wrong.
I wasn't talking about them having sex with children, i was just referring to the predilection to want to have sex with children. Although child porn certainly needs to be clamped down on because it is exploitative of children, we completely ruin the lives and turn into hate figures anyone who accesses it (if we can).

These people are completely ostracised from society, for something most of them probably already feel great shame about. And don't deny that if most owned up to their predilections, that they wouldn't instantly lose nearly all their friends.

edit: i mean, in England, animated porn depicted the underage is even illegal - why deny these people an outlet that doesn't actually harm anybody? Because people are intolerant assholes - their intolerance just shifts to whatever society deems it ok to be intolerant of.

Last edited by Dresta : 11-20-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #36
Jameerthefear
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 32,582
Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta
I wasn't talking about them having sex with children, i was just referring to the predilection to want to have sex with children. Although child porn certainly needs to be clamped down on because it is exploitative of children, we completely ruin the lives and turn into hate figures anyone who accesses it (if we can).

These people are completely ostracised from society, for something most of them probably already feel great shame about. And don't deny that if most owned up to their predilections, that they wouldn't instantly lose nearly all their friends.

edit: i mean, in England, animated porn depicted the underage is even illegal - why deny these people an outlet that doesn't actually harm anybody? Because people are intolerant assholes - their intolerance just shifts to whatever society deems it ok to be intolerant of.
animated porn should definitely not be illegal. there is no victim of the crime, and it doesn't affect anyone.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #37
RoundMoundOfReb
Objective Poster
 
RoundMoundOfReb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,492
RoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRoundMoundOfReb is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Just because you're naturally inclined to do something doesn't make it any more OK. Murders are likely more naturally inclined to be violent. It's stupid logic. BTW between the 12 year old anime girls and this thread, I'm concerned.
RoundMoundOfReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #38
Jameerthefear
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gone
Posts: 32,582
Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
Just because you're naturally inclined to do something doesn't make it any more OK. Murders are likely more naturally inclined to be violent. It's stupid logic. BTW between the 12 year old anime girls and this thread, I'm concerned.
Don't worry, everyone in that thread is over the age of 12... I think.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #39
Dresta
BANNED!!!!
 
Dresta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,837
Dresta posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDresta posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
Just because you're naturally inclined to do something doesn't make it any more OK. Murders are likely more naturally inclined to be violent. It's stupid logic. BTW between the 12 year old anime girls and this thread, I'm concerned.
Poor comparison and you miss the difference between inclination and action.

I don't think anyone is saying it is ok to go around sexually abusing children. But it should be acknowledged that sexual desire is completely unconscious, and that someone can be sexually attracted to children while also being a good person.

It is the same with the laws in the UK that outlaw 'extreme' pornography (between consenting adults), completely ignoring that what is extreme to one person is simply titillation to another, and that people have no choice when it comes to what turns them on. Despite it leading to ridiculous prosecutions the law has still not been revoked:

'In 2009, the CPS brought the daft “Tiger porn” prosecution in respect of a video of what appeared to them to be a man having sex with a tiger. In that case the CPS had not listened to video’s soundtrack before putting a man on trial and thereby at risk of imprisonment and being placed on the sexual offenders register. When the defence pointed out that at the end of the video, the CGI-generated tiger turns to the camera and says “That beats the Frosties advert!” even the CPS had to accept someone watching it would not think the tiger was real.'

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/po...me-prosecution

I mean, they ruin people's lives and reputations with this nonsense. The UK has just become a complete joke tbh: recently a man got 11 months for posting anti-islamic material in his windows, and another got 3 months for making a joke about a dead girl.

Madness.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:49 AM   #40
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,899
RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta
Poor comparison and you miss the difference between inclination and action.

I don't think anyone is saying it is ok to go around sexually abusing children. But it should be acknowledged that sexual desire is completely unconscious, and that someone can be sexually attracted to children while also being a good person.

It is the same with the laws in the UK that outlaw 'extreme' pornography (between consenting adults), completely ignoring that what is extreme to one person is simply titillation to another, and that people have no choice when it comes to what turns them on. Despite it leading to ridiculous prosecutions the law has still not been revoked:

'In 2009, the CPS brought the daft “Tiger porn” prosecution in respect of a video of what appeared to them to be a man having sex with a tiger. In that case the CPS had not listened to video’s soundtrack before putting a man on trial and thereby at risk of imprisonment and being placed on the sexual offenders register. When the defence pointed out that at the end of the video, the CGI-generated tiger turns to the camera and says “That beats the Frosties advert!” even the CPS had to accept someone watching it would not think the tiger was real.'

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/po...me-prosecution

I mean, they ruin people's lives and reputations with this nonsense. The UK has just become a complete joke tbh: recently a man got 11 months for posting anti-islamic material in his windows, and another got 3 months for making a joke about a dead girl.

Madness.
I'm pretty much in agreement with all your points, here.

No one is trying to minimize the great pain and life-destroying consequences of molestation. It's just about pointing out that this issue is much more complicated than it is given credit for.

Our society is naturally repulsed by the idea of sex with children. In a lot of cases, those who take part in it are looked at as worse than murderers.

While understandable -- taking advantage of the most innocent among us -- it gets more interesting when you think about those people cursed with this affliction who live out their lives never hurting anyone, yet feel all the shame and guilt that comes with having the predilection.

Honestly, it has to be the worst kind of impulse to live with. Has there ever been a pedophile who came out of the closet, but never acted upon it? I've never heard of it happening and for good reason... It's the one taboo that will send society recoiling regardless of the person's self control.

It must be an incredibly sad, lonely existence.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #41
Trollsmasher
Testing Free Agency
 
Trollsmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 8,641
Trollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this boardTrollsmasher is popular on this board
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

If you are having problems with your urges, just convert to islam.
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 AM   #42
AintNoSunshine
Decent college freshman
 
AintNoSunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,674
AintNoSunshine has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
You tell us.


AintNoSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #43
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 23,453
Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
animated porn should definitely not be illegal. there is no victim of the crime, and it doesn't affect anyone.

A fear I can see people having is the fear of it normalizing having sex with children.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:16 AM   #44
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!
 
The-Legend-24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: PARTYNEXTDOOR
Posts: 4,420
The-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsFanNumero1
You tell us.
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:07 AM   #45
Dresta
BANNED!!!!
 
Dresta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,837
Dresta posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryDresta posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Are pedophiles attracted to children naturally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
A fear I can see people having is the fear of it normalizing having sex with children.


seriously?


Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:34 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy