Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 PM   #31
Messed the Cut
I airball my layups

Default Re: OT: What genre of Rap do you prefer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
Anything by the Sugar Hill Gang.

I do like any rap with a message or that has some thought behind it. My personal favourite is k-os, if you haven't heard his album Joyful Rebellion, you are missing out.

Totally agree with K-OS, all three of his albums (Atlantis: Hymns of Disco, Exit and Joyful Rebellion) are great...especially if you are tired of people talking about what they own and what they have or how bad hip hop has become (although I can't diss Nas' Hip Hop is dead...track is sick).

Mos Def is also great, Tru3Magic, The New Danger and Black on Both Sides are great albums too.

I don't blame all the people that say they hate rap, K-OS said it best (he referenced a media class he took): "The media is like a flashlight in a dark room, you are only going to ever see where that light shines, and the problem is all you see is what the media shines on, and are not even aware of everything around the what's shining now." There are soo many great artists that are out there, whether they do it with there voice, lyrics or instruments, its difficult to find harmony in all three.....also to be consistent with expectiation, that has to be the hardest thing to do....no one ever be perfect in the ears of everyone.....
Messed the Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #32
Phesto
Fire BC! Hire GG!

A Tribe Called Quest, The Pharcyde, Hieroglyphics crew (including Del, Souls of Mischief, Pep Love), Gorillaz, RJD2, Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, Aceyalone, Common, Ghostface Killah, The GZA, The Wu-Tang Clan, Kanye West, Mos Def, Jurassic 5, Blackalicious, Binarystar, Public Enemy, Gang Starr, MF Doom, Kool Keith, Organized Konfusion, Showbiz & A.G., Madlib (Quasimoto), De La Soul, etc.

EDIT: These groups may or may not be considered in the same genre.

Last edited by Phesto : 02-27-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Phesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #33
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phesto
A Tribe Called Quest, The Pharcyde, Hieroglyphics crew (including Del, Souls of Mischief, Pep Love), Gorillaz, RJD2, Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, Aceyalone, Common, Ghostface Killah, The GZA, The Wu-Tang Clan, Kanye West, Mos Def, Jurassic 5, Blackalicious, Binarystar, Public Enemy, Gang Starr, MF Doom, Kool Keith, Organized Konfusion, Showbiz & A.G., Madlib (Quasimoto), De La Soul, etc.
90% of what he said and definitely aesop rock. that's my idol. and to add a few, jedi mind tricks, papoose, immortal technique.
emsteez forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #34
theinfamousmobb
Local High School Star

Dr.Dre, Mobb Deep (back in the day), Nas, Jay, Wu Tang, NWA, Game, Ice Cube, AZ, Three 6 Mafia (older stuff),Biggie, Pac, Busta, etc

I cant stand 95% of the garbage rap they play on the radio/bet/mtv, etc, especially all of that generic "shoulder lean/lean wit it/walk it out/rock yo hips" southern crap. Hmmm I just noticed all of those songs are made as a dance...
theinfamousmobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #35
305Baller
Dos minutos.

>>>>>>>>SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT<<<<<<<<<<<

Check out my podcast if your into alternative hip-hop...

http://pazos.podomatic.com

you can subscribe on the page or on itunes....
305Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #36
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

I listen to old school rap, so I'm better than other people.
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #37
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitPistonFan
Crunk and Screwed Up Rap sucks. Basically i'm saying Southern Rap sucks. East Coast and West Coast Hip-Hop had their shine. Now its the Midwest's turn. Midwest Rap owns all. Eminem, Kanye and Common are the best. Bone is coming back!

No one cares about Detroit rap, especially since the best rappers from Mich came from Flint. I.e. Dayton Family, Top Authority, MC Breed.

Just do what Fat Joe says and switch to Southpaw and then maybe alll of you inferior coasts would sell some recorde every now and then.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #38
Done_And_Done
D & D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
I suppose "underground" rap? I'm with kwaj, I like substance to me rap. I'll listen to some Fat Joe, TI, or Chamillianaire every once in a while, but in the long run, it's far from my favourite. That's why I love a lot of Em's older stuff, before he started ****ing around and putting out ****ty joke tracks. He's got some new stuff that I don't mind, but it doesn't compare to Infinate and The MM LP. Definately into K-os like Kwajo mentioned.

Lately I've been getting into some more underground stuff, like Cunninlynguists, Tonedeff, Masta Ace, Jedi Mind Tricks, and Immortal Technique. Everyone should definately check these guys out, certainly worth a listen to. Especially Cunninlynguists.

Download "Mic Like A Memory"
By far Cunninlynguists biggest tune IMO

PS. TRIBE OWNS! "We on point Phife, Once Again Tip"
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:31 PM   #39
Rebel INS
I hit open 5-footers

THE LEGENDARY ROOTS..

It's amazing how little mainstream attention they receive.

I wonder how no one ever admits to liking crunk or hip-pop, yet they are the only records that are sold.
Rebel INS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:25 AM   #40
Done_And_Done
D & D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel INS
THE LEGENDARY ROOTS..

I wonder how no one ever admits to liking crunk or hip-pop, yet they are the only records that are sold.

Because in all truth, most people feel a sense of embarrasment knowing they own every album Nellys ever recorded in there music library.

so shhhhhhhhhh!
Just playin...
But really...
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #41
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Well I will add to what I said earlier. I like dirty south rap mostly and my favorite rapper is T.I.
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #42
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Pretty much Christian Rap is the only kind I listen to. Mainly because, you guessed it, I'm Christian, but that's not the only reason. Most Christian Rap is underground and on independent labels, so they don't have to follow that 12-track, 3-minute radio-friendly format. They can do like 16-21 tracks and they can be 2-minutes or 5.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:18 PM   #43
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel INS
THE LEGENDARY ROOTS..

Mainly because they're more known to be an great live rap group, a lot of critics think they're better off just performing instead of doing studio tracks.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #44
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

LOL @ "genre of rap"

this is why I can't even mess with hiphop no more... the fans have killed it
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #45
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phesto

EDIT: These groups may or may not be considered in the same genre.

cosign
to add some
mars ill, immortal technique, deepspace 5, technicali crew, lmno, visionaries, living legends,
Horde of Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: