Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Orlando Magic Forum

Orlando Magic Forum Orlando Magic forum - Orlando Magic message board

Old 07-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
StarJordan
Irrational Jordan superfan

Default JJ Reddick off to an injured start

Back injury keeping Redick out of summer league play

July 8, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- The Orlando Magic are holding guard J.J. Redick out of summer league play because of a back injury.

Redick repeatedly has said he's not bothered by the herniated disc in his back, an injury announced just before the Magic took him No. 11 overall in the NBA draft. He received a cortisone shot about a month ago and said he won't need surgery.

ADVERTISEMENT

"I feel I could be out there, but we had to decide if it was worth the risk and not take the chance," he said.

General manager Otis Smith said Friday the club was holding him out as a precaution because Redick hasn't played full-speed in four weeks.

Redick also said he isn't certain whether he will train with Team USA, which opens pre-2008 Olympic workouts July 19 in Las Vegas. He was one of 23 players chosen for the squad, including Magic teammate Dwight Howard.
StarJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Here come the "Duke curse" people.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:44 PM   #3
StarJordan
Irrational Jordan superfan

Quote:
herniated disc in his back

Herniated disc in rookie year..ouch
StarJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

anyone wanna explain to me what a herniated disk is?
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
AIR SETH
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRapz
anyone wanna explain to me what a herniated disk is?
http://orthoinfo.org/fact/thr_report...category=Spine

This will explain it.
AIR SETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #6
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Herniated Disk
Description

You've probably heard people say they have a "slipped" or "ruptured" disk in their neck or lower back. What they're actually describing is a herniated disk, a common source of neck, or lower back and arm or leg pain.

Disks are soft, rubbery pads found between the hard bones (vertebrae) that make up the spinal column. In the middle of the spinal column is the spinal canal-a hollow space that contains the spinal cord and other nerve roots. The disks between the vertebrae allow the back to flex or bend. Disks also act as shock absorbers.

Disks in the lumbar spine (low back) are composed of a thick outer ring of cartilage (annulus) and an inner gel-like substance (nucleus). In the cervical spine (neck), the disks are similar but smaller in size. A helpful comparison is a jelly donut: its thick outer portion represents the annulus, while the jelly is similar to the nucleus.

A disk herniates or ruptures when part of the center nucleus pushes through the outer edge of the disk. To continue with the donut analogy, the jelly pushes backwards toward the spinal canal. This puts pressure on the nerves. Spinal nerves are very sensitive to even slight amounts of pressure. Pain, numbness or weakness may occur in one or both legs.

Risk Factors/Prevention

In children and young adults, disks have high water content. As people age, the water content in the disks decreases. They become less flexible. The disks begin to shrink. The spaces between the vertebrae get narrower. The disk itself becomes less flexible. Conditions that can weaken the disk include:

* Improper lifting

* Smoking

* Excessive body weight that places added stress on the disks (in the lower back)

* Sudden pressure (which may be slight)

* Repetitive strenuous activities

Symptoms

Lower Back: Low back pain affects four out of five people. Pain alone isn't enough to recognize a herniated disk. See your doctor if back pain results from a fall or a blow to your back. The most common symptom of a herniated disk is sciatica-a sharp, often shooting pain that extends from the buttocks down the back of one leg. It is caused by pressure on the spinal nerve. Other symptoms include:

* Weakness in one leg

* Tingling (a "pins-and-needles" sensation) or numbness in one leg or buttock

* Loss of bladder or bowel control (If you also have significant weakness in both legs, you could have a serious problem. Seek immediate attention.)

* A burning pain centered in the neck

Neck: Like pain in the lower back, neck pain is also common. When pressure is placed on a nerve in the neck, it causes pain in the muscles between your neck and shoulder (trapezial muscles). The pain may shoot down the arm. Sometimes the pain causes headaches in the back of the head. Other symptoms include:

* Weakness in one arm

* Tingling (a "pins-and-needles" sensation) or numbness in one arm

* Loss of bladder or bowel control (If you also have significant weakness in both arms or legs, you could have a serious problem. Seek immediate attention.)

* Burning pain in the shoulders, neck or arm

Diagnosis

To diagnose a herniated disk, give the doctor your complete medical history. Tell him or her if you have neck/back pain with gradually increasing arm/leg pain. Tell the doctor if you were injured. The doctor will physically examine you. This can determine which nerve roots are affected (and how seriously). A simple X-ray may show evidence of disk or degenerative spine changes.

MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) or CT (computed tomography) scans (imaging tests to confirm which disk is injured) or an EMG (a test that measures nerve impulses to the muscles) may be recommended if pain continues.

Treatment Options

Conservative treatment is effective in treating symptoms of herniated disks in more than 90 percent of patients. Most neck or back pain will resolve gradually with simple measures.

* Bed rest and over-the-counter pain relievers may be all that's needed.

* Muscle relaxers, analgesic and anti-inflammatory medications are also helpful.

* You can also apply cold compresses or ice for no more than 20 minutes at a time, several times a day.

* After any spasms settle, you can switch to gentle heat applications.

Any physical activity should be slow and controlled, especially bending forward and lifting. This can help ensure that symptoms do not return. Take short walks and avoid sitting for long periods. For the lower back, exercises may also be helpful in strengthening back and abdominal muscles. For the neck, exercises or traction may also be helpful. It's essential that you learn how to properly stand, sit and lift. This can help you avoid future episodes of pain.

Treatment Options: Surgical

If conservative treatment fails, epidural injections of a cortisone-like drug may lessen nerve irritation and allow better participation in physical therapy. These shots are given on an outpatient basis over a period of weeks.

Surgery may be required if a disk fragment lodges in the spinal canal and presses on a nerve, causing significant loss of function. Surgical options in the lower back include microdiskectomy or laminectomy depending on the size and position of the disk herniation. In the neck, an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion is usually recommended. This involves removing the entire disk to take the pressure off the spinal cord and nerve roots. Bone is placed in the disc space and a metal plate may be used to stabilize the spine. On occasion, a smaller surgery may be performed on the back of the neck that does not require fusing the bones together. Each of these surgeries is performed under general anesthesia. It may be performed as an outpatient or require an overnight hospital stay. You should be able to return to work in two to six weeks.

October 2004

http://orthoinfo.org/fact/thr_report...category=Spine
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Great pick.

Slow, spot up shooter, with bad back, and got shut down by the first college defender who was decent and gameplanned for him.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:24 PM   #8
nawsanenawmean
I brick open layups

Waste of a pick. I like what Orlando is doing, but I think picking up Redick was a bad move. He can shoot the ball, we all know that, but that's all he can do. His injury proneness won't help either, and the back injury really sucks. The Duke curse doesn't help much either. He won't be much of an NBA player. He'll be a career back up, just getting some court time to make a few buckets, kind of like a Jason Kapono type player. That's how I see his future playing out.
nawsanenawmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #9
Bosh4life
Local High School Star

YEs but judging from that article it's not like it got any worse then he says. They just think he should take off more time just to be safe. And i'm pretty sure when they drafted him they had that plan in mind already. PErsonally i think he will be fine when the season starts.
Bosh4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:07 AM   #10
BlockAHoe
I airball my layups

Personally, I think Sefolosha would have been a far better pick for them then JJ. With the defensive effort along with his length, they could really improve the D while having a great team player to house along side Nelson. But instead they got a better version of Steve Novak with back problems.
BlockAHoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:27 AM   #11
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

If his back's ok Redick could be a fine player, he just will need a teammate that can draw a double. Unfortunately for JJ, Orlando doesn't have that kind of player right now.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:38 AM   #12
TheReturnofCed
The Real Ced

It's easy to teach shooting than it is to teach defense.

Redick=bad pick for the magic.

Redick would be good in a backcourt with a Joe Johnson type.
TheReturnofCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:27 AM   #13
donjuandemarco
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default re

Quote:
It's easy to teach shooting than it is to teach defense.

You are waaaaaay wrong. You can teach nearly anybody to play D....shooting is a skill.....I cant believe you wrote that.
donjuandemarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:11 AM   #14
WildStyle
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
If his back's ok Redick could be a fine player, he just will need a teammate that can draw a double. Unfortunately for JJ, Orlando doesn't have that kind of player right now.

Dwight and Darko have already started drawing double teams. They will see even more double teams next season as they continue to improve.
WildStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #15
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

sometimes the white unathletic shooters make the best college coaches,

(Billy Donovan, Steve Alford)

this could be Redick's destiny.

Don't forget that Scott Skiles dropped more than 30 a game a MSU. Being the man in college doesn't always bring success at the next level.

ballsy pick by Orlando, I hope he gets healthy so we can see it play out.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: