Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 02-09-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Headphones

I've never been interested in online gaming, but I've decided to give The Division a real shot, and as such, have decided I wanted to get a headset. I'd also be interested in using it for my TV, and wireless interests me.

After doing a nights worth of research last night, I found that there's really only three options: The Astro A50, The Turtle Beach Elite 800, and the Steelseries Siberia 800.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with any of these? Or any other advice would be welcome?
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Default Re: Headphones

Even when it comes to a brand like Sennheiser/AT you will get much better sound quality and value by using a microphone separate from a pair of headphones as opposed to an integrated pair.

That being said, you may prioritize convenience over sound in which case any of those will be fine.

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD595's and a clip on mic. You may find a better deal on a similar pair of wireless headphones and mic; I'm not much into the wireless sound scene.

Just something to consider.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Even when it comes to a brand like Sennheiser/AT you will get much better sound quality and value by using a microphone separate from a pair of headphones as opposed to an integrated pair.

That being said, you may prioritize convenience over sound in which case any of those will be fine.

I use a pair of Sennheiser HD595's and a clip on mic. You may find a better deal on a similar pair of wireless headphones and mic; I'm not much into the wireless sound scene.

Thanks, you're not the first person I've seen suggest this either. I've read a fair amount about the V-Moda wireless, which then I can just run their boom mic addition through the controller.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
Thorpesaurous

So after a bunch more research, I'm leaning more toward Duece's route. I'm looking hard at the Sennheiser RS185, and the VModa Boompro Mic.

After doing some listening, I've decided I like the open back set up more than the complete closed back noise cancelling set up. I may get a wired closed back someday for phone and tablet use.

Anyway, the reviews of the Boompro Mic are great. And I don't mind being teathered to the controller.

Does anyone know if I can just connect the headphones to the TV, I have a new Samsung that I think I can connect Bluetooth? Then I can pump just the mic to the controller?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 PM   #5
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Those aren't bluetooth. They must have some RF module that connects through RCA and Optical; both of which your TV and receiver must have. That's preferred for sound quality over bluetooth and should be less of a hassle.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Those aren't bluetooth. They must have some RF module that connects through RCA and Optical; both of which your TV and receiver must have. That's preferred for sound quality over bluetooth and should be less of a hassle.

That's what I keep coming back to. I'd like to hook up the headphones through my TV optical line. I'm not using a receiver at the moment, just the TV speaker, which I probably won't change soon, because it's in a smallish bedroom. So I can hook the headset up through the TV's optical output, which should pick up my PlayStation as well. Then it's just the Mic running into the DualShock4.

This way I can use them for both TV and the PlayStation without switching anything ...

I think.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
That's what I keep coming back to. I'd like to hook up the headphones through my TV optical line. I'm not using a receiver at the moment, just the TV speaker, which I probably won't change soon, because it's in a smallish bedroom. So I can hook the headset up through the TV's optical output, which should pick up my PlayStation as well. Then it's just the Mic running into the DualShock4.

This way I can use them for both TV and the PlayStation without switching anything ...

I think.

Based on what I read on the product description: yes. As long as Playstation, Headphones, and Mic don't all need a particular output that is limited; i.e. they all need an optical output but your TV only has 1.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #8
Draz
The People's Choice

Quote:

I was actually going to do this, but how good are the clip on mics? The quality of my voice on the other end? And do we need amps? I see the Astro's come with one
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
I was actually going to do this, but how good are the clip on mics? The quality of my voice on the other end? And do we need amps? I see the Astro's come with one

Everything I've read shows the vmoda boommic is the best of the mic add ons.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

An 8 dollar Zalman clip on is suitable for everything except recording music.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #11
JimmyMcAdocious
with God-given ass

You settle on any? Been using the g430 since it was on sale and came with $40 Steam cards. It does the trick since I don't care too much about sound and voice quality (as long as I can hear them/the audio and they can hear me when I speak normally), but they're pretty ugly and I ****ing hate the cord. Wouldn't mind going the wireless route for this.

Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious : 02-15-2016 at 06:01 PM.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
Thorpesaurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMcAdocious
You settle on any? Been using the g430 since it was on sale and came with $40 Steam cards. It does the trick since I don't care too much about sound and voice quality (as long as I can hear them/the audio and they can hear me when I speak normally), but they're pretty ugly and I ****ing hate the cord. Wouldn't mind going the wireless route for this.

I haven't actually pulled the trigger, but I intend to go with the Sennheiser closed back wireless and hook up that VModa mic.

I'll let you know when I finally do it.

Part of my reason for doing it is that I really intend to use these for watching TV in bed at least as much as for gaming.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: