Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #61
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: ☆Official Mike D'Antoni Thread: D'Antoni Resigns *CONFIRMED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
I cannot see Coach K leaving Duke with their next season's class. He already said he is excited about their next season (different wording he used but you know he is looking forward to it) - Cross him off.

Coach K has already addressed the rumors and said he will be staying at Duke. He does have a contender next year so it makes sense.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #62
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
Just do something different..lol steal a coach from another team or go outside of the NBA just don't do the retread thing, If you have to go with a currently out of work coach go with somebody like Scott over a Hollins, Van Gundy or Sloan deal...

They're all about the same, solid coaches who never won it all but Scott has respect with the organization, fanbase and local media... he's got history with the team he's at least made the finals... yeah he's had beefs with some players but those guys are all assholes anyways who had beefs with coaches before and after Scott, but still I'd rather seem them do something different Scotts kind of my OK that'll work guy

Ollie is my first choice unless something really shakes loose like a Doc Rivers leaving the Clippers type of thing

Wow I find your preference shocking ...interms of risks. In an interview by Cowherd a couple of days before the NCAA finals, it made it appear that their former legendary coach Jim Calhoun was VERY involved with the coaching of the team. A team lead by a bunch of VETERAN PLAYERS.
I'm not saying Ollie will be a bust but I'm just so tired of hiring coaches who had ONE success before. Ill rather have JVG or Karl whose last losing season was 1988.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:31 AM   #63
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
Wow I find your preference shocking ...interms of risks. In an interview by Cowherd a couple of days before the NCAA finals, it made it appear that their former legendary coach Jim Calhoun was VERY involved with the coaching of the team. A team lead by a bunch of VETERAN PLAYERS.
I'm not saying Ollie will be a bust but I'm just so tired of hiring coaches who had ONE success before. Ill rather have JVG or Karl whose last losing season was 1988.

I heard Calhoun on Cowherd and I didn't necessarily get that impression. While Calhoun still had ties to the team, I think he was thinking more of coaching again elsewhere. He specifically said he wouldn't mind coaching at another school.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:55 AM   #64
GimmeThat
Decent college freshman

GimmeThat posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryGimmeThat posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers91
I'm not sure if that's a compliment or a criticism haha?

I think Phil although he's a fantastic coach I don't think he would have wanted to truly coach again he looked burnt out in his last coaching stint (not sure health problems wise think there was a rumour of a cancer diagnosis at the time but not entirely sure), he has a position that at least suits his physical preference these days not having to coach 24/7 or be at every game etc albeit I think he's far more suited to coaching but a least he's more suited to being an executive physically it's not as demanding as all the traveling etc coaches do with the team etc, if it was purely and simply down to head coach and head coach and Jackson was mentally prepared for all of it then it would have been Jackson I think the Lakers FO indeed would have done that but it was more so the effect was more than D'Antoni over Phil it was more D'Antoni over Dwight who whether people rate him anymore or anything like that he wanted a coach that would value and improve his post game like Jackson could if you don't pick him then go to at least someone similar that could help him but they went the totally opposite direction which was more why it was that effect. I think it was more simply the office being worried about Jackson being not totally up to it physically or mentally to want to do it all in terms of coaching anymore but if he was I'd certainly hope they would have picked him but there was a lot of things that he wanted which would have been difficult to arrange potentially.

It's a criticism without a doubt my friend.

Agreed with the second part. I think the picking D'Antoni over Dwight point of view is somewhat intriguing. Unless there was something that the Lakers saw which found extremely alerting, would not know why they would have done so.

I think Jabbar mentioned something along the line that after he worked with him for a year, he found what could truly be Dwight's potential. But I think perhaps Dwight couldn't get past the fact that it wasn't his time to lead, which may or may not be his legacy. Desire to lead over meeting his potential.

As for the next HC. it's May, and some dude named Mitch Kupchak is the GM. My guesses is that we won't find out who it is until months later, and most likely someone with the calibar to put us right back on the map.
GimmeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:26 AM   #65
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeThat

As for the next HC. it's May, and some dude named Mitch Kupchak is the GM. My guesses is that we won't find out who it is until months later, and most likely someone with the calibar to put us right back on the map.

My thinking was since it's May it'll probably be more around a month before there's a coach named. I'm sure they will want to see if anybody gets fired. But I also think they'll want a head coach in place before the draft, which is June 26. It won't be before the draft lottery I'm guessing. One thing that could entice a top tier coach is the draft position of the team. That's why I'm thinking it's going to happen right around the beginning of June. Plus, this is really keeping the Lakers in the news right now. With all the great playoff series going on (look at all the game 7's) and with the whole Clippers thing, the Lakers have been a top story. I'm sure they aren't minding the extra press for a few weeks.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #66
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Lakers91 has decent reputation

Quote:
It's a criticism without a doubt my friend.

Agreed with the second part. I think the picking D'Antoni over Dwight point of view is somewhat intriguing. Unless there was something that the Lakers saw which found extremely alerting, would not know why they would have done so.

I think Jabbar mentioned something along the line that after he worked with him for a year, he found what could truly be Dwight's potential. But I think perhaps Dwight couldn't get past the fact that it wasn't his time to lead, which may or may not be his legacy. Desire to lead over meeting his potential.

Well you're agreeing and disagreeing with me in the same post good to have some variety , however I did not agree with the D'Antoni appointent at the time and will stand by that there were worse candidates than him but he wasn't my preferred option and that's just my stand on it and that wasn't due to Phil potentially being coach because at the time I didn't think he was a legitimate candidate to come back it was based primarily on simply how D'Antoni went with Melo in NY and I expected more of the same with Kobe's personality in LA and because I thought Dwight would dislike him as a coach (Kobe seemed to like the appointment to start with though), but I do think he was doomed from fan support from the start unless he could do something miraculous from the team the fans were going to judge him no matter what simply because it appeared like he was chosen over Phil, and from that moment on the fans already had trepidation about him and judged him more harshly because most of the fanbase or it appeared wanted Phil (whether said criticism was fair or not there was more of it and quicker than probably had there been no mention of Phil, had they chose him now that Phil is in NY and not much of a chance to coach at all then I doubt he'd have had as much criticism so rapidly). He had an older team that didn't really suit him which highlighted the problems in appointing him and in his coaching, for a run and gun coach who likes athletic players like he had in Phoenix he didn't really get much that catered to his coaching and I didn't see him adjusting so I thought it was not the best appointment primarily due to the age of the squad/Kobe being 33, Pau about 32, Nash 37 or so in 2013, I think it was an average decision appointment from both sides a combination of the coach not suiting the team and the team not suiting the coach at least to start with.

Not being behind the scenes at the Lakers makes it hard to tell it certainly looked somewhat like they chose D'Antoni over Dwight or it could be simply they thought with Dwight's personality maybe they just didn't want to let him have his way/let him think he ran the place maybe was the thinking behind it like he did in Orlando demanding a coach be sacked in SVG type situation I can certainly remember he wanted D'Antoni fired according to reports at the time if he was to re-sign and inquired about the amnestying of Kobe's contract (the latter I thought was more ludicrous/more unlikely to have actually happened but reports are all that can be gone on when you aren't actually employed in the league and only have an outside looking in perspective), had D'Antoni been fired I think Dwight probably would have left anyway due to Kobe and his personality differences but I think it would have been a far harder decision I don't think there was much a chance he was staying with D'Antoni as coach (albeit I thought he should have signed less or an S&T to get to the Warriors).

Yeah I can somewhat recall that, can't remember the exact comment of his potential if it's the one I'm thinking of there was one where he said he could be an all time great center maybe then after Dwight left that he was limited because of his mindset I know he commented Dwight wanted to win and said he was an upgrade over Bynum who no longer had a desire to learn from him (KAJ/Alcindor), which one are you referring to to clarify?

I think they will wait until the end of the playoff's to really pick a coach I doubt they'd announce it before then because a few coaches could well be out of a job by then and some good coaches on potential anyway or at least I don't think Kupchak will hurry in a decision he seems to enjoy having a complete picture before making a decision.
Lakers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 AM   #67
GimmeThat
Decent college freshman

GimmeThat posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryGimmeThat posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Well you're agreeing and disagreeing with me in the same post good to have some variety , however I did not agree with the D'Antoni appointent at the time and will stand by that there were worse candidates than him but he wasn't my preferred option and that's just my stand on it and that wasn't due to Phil potentially being coach because at the time I didn't think he was a legitimate candidate to come back it was based primarily on simply how D'Antoni went with Melo in NY and I expected more of the same with Kobe's personality in LA and because I thought Dwight would dislike him as a coach (Kobe seemed to like the appointment to start with though), but I do think he was doomed from fan support from the start unless he could do something miraculous from the team the fans were going to judge him no matter what simply because it appeared like he was chosen over Phil, and from that moment on the fans already had trepidation about him and judged him more harshly because most of the fanbase or it appeared wanted Phil (whether said criticism was fair or not there was more of it and quicker than probably had there been no mention of Phil, had they chose him now that Phil is in NY and not much of a chance to coach at all then I doubt he'd have had as much criticism so rapidly). He had an older team that didn't really suit him which highlighted the problems in appointing him and in his coaching, for a run and gun coach who likes athletic players like he had in Phoenix he didn't really get much that catered to his coaching and I didn't see him adjusting so I thought it was not the best appointment primarily due to the age of the squad/Kobe being 33, Pau about 32, Nash 37 or so in 2013, I think it was an average decision appointment from both sides a combination of the coach not suiting the team and the team not suiting the coach at least to start with.

Not being behind the scenes at the Lakers makes it hard to tell it certainly looked somewhat like they chose D'Antoni over Dwight or it could be simply they thought with Dwight's personality maybe they just didn't want to let him have his way/let him think he ran the place maybe was the thinking behind it like he did in Orlando demanding a coach be sacked in SVG type situation I can certainly remember he wanted D'Antoni fired according to reports at the time if he was to re-sign and inquired about the amnestying of Kobe's contract (the latter I thought was more ludicrous/more unlikely to have actually happened but reports are all that can be gone on when you aren't actually employed in the league and only have an outside looking in perspective), had D'Antoni been fired I think Dwight probably would have left anyway due to Kobe and his personality differences but I think it would have been a far harder decision I don't think there was much a chance he was staying with D'Antoni as coach (albeit I thought he should have signed less or an S&T to get to the Warriors).

I think Mitch had publicly admitted that the hiring/firing of D'antoni/Brown had something to do with the passing of the late Dr. Buss.

So that given the opportunity to sign Steve Nash, it helped them to jump the gun on the decision and signed D'Antoni with probably more of the logic to squeeze one run out of remaining veterans.

So it was either championship or bust expectations for D'Antoni, yes. And the fact that he had one season of personality conflict, then injuried riddled season probably didn't hurt his reputation as a coach in the league (as for the Dwight/Melo thing, I don't think he cares, and he'll still get hired by many teams)

So I suppose we can argue that the Lakers fan didn't want to give him a second chance, even though the failure of the first go around had nothing to do with him. Or more so, he didn't care for the second chance with the now dellusional expectations of the Lakers fan.

I think I'm more interested to see what type of players the "Lakers Franchise" can drawn, admist a coaching vacancy.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #68
$LakerGold
|Ronda☆Mir|

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizozain

thanks $LakerGold

sorry pic was big
It's all good:))
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #69
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Lakers91 has decent reputation

Quote:
I think Mitch had publicly admitted that the hiring/firing of D'antoni/Brown had something to do with the passing of the late Dr. Buss.

So that given the opportunity to sign Steve Nash, it helped them to jump the gun on the decision and signed D'Antoni with probably more of the logic to squeeze one run out of remaining veterans.

So it was either championship or bust expectations for D'Antoni, yes. And the fact that he had one season of personality conflict, then injuried riddled season probably didn't hurt his reputation as a coach in the league (as for the Dwight/Melo thing, I don't think he cares, and he'll still get hired by many teams)

So I suppose we can argue that the Lakers fan didn't want to give him a second chance, even though the failure of the first go around had nothing to do with him. Or more so, he didn't care for the second chance with the now dellusional expectations of the Lakers fan.

I think I'm more interested to see what type of players the "Lakers Franchise" can drawn, admist a coaching vacancy.

Would have replied sooner didn't expect a reply so soon (apologies it was a rather long post on my behalf do it a lot after I'd typed it kind of wanted to cut it down but then didn't know what to cut so then thought you wouldn't reply haha but I appreciate you doing so)

To be honest I haven't really paid attention to Mitch's comments in public, do you mean you think it was kind of Buss's last big decision before he passed is that what you mean (clarifying again)?

I doubt it will change his reputation much his reputation after a fair while coaching whether personal agreement or disagreement on it I think most people and fans his reputation is that of an offensive minded coach who did have a revolutionary approach but has conflicts with players and doesn't have as much defensive whether ability or care to defense, I think there are certain teams that might still approach him but it's not whether I agree with it it's the effect and I think having two average stints since Phoenix due to a variety of reasons partly due to him and partly beyond his control may have an adverse affect for at least NBA teams I think he'll be approached by college and European teams though. I think he could be hired as an offensive assistant or he could coach a team like the Nuggets which would probably be his ideal team but they have Shaw now anyway if he was to stay in the NBA.

There is some expectations that are too much from Laker fans but the rationale ones I don't think expect miracles, I don't think many coaches would do that much better or would have this year but I think some fans just want a different type of coach or approach.

In terms of coaching vacancy I think the new coach will likely be announced by free agency or at the least there will be a clear picture of who is likely and who isn't, or if there is still a vacancy maybe it could be used by the FO for bargaining I.E we want you (say hypothetically trying to woo Carmelo ask him what coach he wants type thing) that might be an approach that could be used if they want to try for a star player anyway I doubt they'd try and use that for getting a roleplayer . I am assuming you are but I thought I'd ask to confirm are you a Laker fan or Kobe fan (doubt the Kobe fan part aha) or something like that? Your typing doesn't really include you as personally involved when it you say Laker fans or Laker franchise etc etc, then again I don't really either because I'm impersonal in my writing but my username kind of gives away I'm a Lakers fan where as most use the we or some personal connection to a team in posts so I'm just curious because you haven't really given any indication apart from well posting in the Lakers forum haha just not used to see it the impersonal posts , I'm assuming you are but I just thought I'd ask because I was curious if you are a Laker fan you have typed it from a I suppose impersonal viewpoint as well not including yourself as personally involved (if you are a Laker fan props for the writing/typing style )

(A fair bit missing had to edit and cut out basically half of my post hopefully it still makes enough sense)

Last edited by Lakers91 : 05-02-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Lakers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #70
GimmeThat
Decent college freshman

Quote:
To be honest I haven't really paid attention to Mitch's comments in public, do you mean you think it was kind of Buss's last big decision before he passed is that what you mean (clarifying again)?

In terms of coaching vacancy I think the new coach will likely be announced by free agency or at the least there will be a clear picture of who is likely and who isn't, or if there is still a vacancy maybe it could be used by the FO for bargaining I.E we want you (say hypothetically trying to woo Carmelo ask him what coach he wants type thing) that might be an approach that could be used if they want to try for a star player anyway I doubt they'd try and use that for getting a roleplayer . I am assuming you are but I thought I'd ask to confirm are you a Laker fan or Kobe fan (doubt the Kobe fan part aha) or something like that? Your typing doesn't really include you as personally involved when it you say Laker fans or Laker franchise etc etc, then again I don't really either because I'm impersonal in my writing but my username kind of gives away I'm a Lakers fan where as most use the we or some personal connection to a team in posts so I'm just curious because you haven't really given any indication apart from well posting in the Lakers forum haha just not used to see it the impersonal posts , I'm assuming you are but I just thought I'd ask because I was curious if you are a Laker fan you have typed it from a I suppose impersonal viewpoint as well not including yourself as personally involved (if you are a Laker fan props for the writing/typing style )

(A fair bit missing had to edit and cut out basically half of my post hopefully it still makes enough sense)

I'm a Lakers fan in the aspect where things are done the way I've been taught about the Lakers organization. i.e. if an ownership change takes place, and an overhaul in approach, I would be hesistent to declare my loyalty to the Lakers. I think I would view that as if you were to ask whether or not Gary Payton is an Oklahoma City Thunders fan.

I don't think it was Buss's last big decision. I think it was just a lets roll the dice and see maybe we could steal a ring. Because Kobe and Pau were both still red hot off the 2 rings run.

I'm a Kobe fan, I've learned a lot from watching him matured as a player as well as a leader. The two rings run, especially one that beat Boston, was about as satisfying as it can get for being not just a Lakers fan but a Kobe fan.

I was perfectly fine with Lakers paying him the 30mil, as well as him having the no-trade clause.

As for FA. Lebron James.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #71
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I heard Calhoun on Cowherd and I didn't necessarily get that impression. While Calhoun still had ties to the team, I think he was thinking more of coaching again elsewhere. He specifically said he wouldn't mind coaching at another school.

wether if I have misinterpreted the inteview of not, the fact remains that Ollie inherited a veteran team once coached by Calhoun 2 years ago.
Shabazz Napier was a senior while Boatright is a junior etc. They got hot at the right time and beat teams comprised mostly by rookies and under 20 yrs old and it's not like they dominated the whole year, they were ranked 7th in the field. Again Im not predicting that Kevin will be bust but the risk is substantial IMO. I think of players who got hot in the NCAA, guys like May, Morrison etc, Heck Chicago traded Lamarcus Aldridge bec Tyrus Thomas "looked" so good in the NCAA.
I think of Mike Montgemerie who was great with Stanford for so many years.
Cal, Tark etc, these guys didn't do great in the NBA.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #72
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
wether if I have misinterpreted the inteview of not, the fact remains that Ollie inherited a veteran team once coached by Calhoun 2 years ago.
Shabazz Napier was a senior while Boatright is a junior etc. They got hot at the right time and beat teams comprised mostly by rookies and under 20 yrs old and it's not like they dominated the whole year, they were ranked 7th in the field. Again Im not predicting that Kevin will be bust but the risk is substantial IMO. I think of players who got hot in the NCAA, guys like May, Morrison etc, Heck Chicago traded Lamarcus Aldridge bec Tyrus Thomas "looked" so good in the NCAA.
I think of Mike Montgemerie who was great with Stanford for so many years.
Cal, Tark etc, these guys didn't do great in the NBA.

I never said he would do good in the NBA or not. And he definitely inherited those players, no debating that. Calhoun didn't do much with them last year though. I think Ollie brought out the best in them for sure. I highly doubt he becomes the Lakers head coach. It was rumored even when they won the championship but I just don't see it happening. Although, Jimmy has made some pretty weird coaching hires so anything is possible.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #73
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I never said he would do good in the NBA or not. And he definitely inherited those players, no debating that. Calhoun didn't do much with them last year though. I think Ollie brought out the best in them for sure. I highly doubt he becomes the Lakers head coach. It was rumored even when they won the championship but I just don't see it happening. Although, Jimmy has made some pretty weird coaching hires so anything is possible.

UConn didn't do much last year bec they were very discouraged to find out they got suspended from competing in the NCAA tournament.
About Ollie bringing out the best in them, probably happened at the best time very late in the year not the whole time bec they were only ranked 7th in ONE region as in its like between 25th-28th for the tournament.
Also, I don't think UConn then was totally confident with Kevin that they have installed Glen Miller as their "Associate Head Coach" in their official roster. Again Im not saying Ollie is a bad coach, I'm saying he has a lot to prove still. I don't see him getting the full respect from pros yet.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #74
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

You can keep em both, no different than any of the other journeymen coaches out there.. may as well add Dell Harris and Dunleavy to the list if you want to go down that road

It's a new NBA, time to think differently not regurgitate the same old .500 career coaches in a hope that this time they'll get it done
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #75
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
You can keep em both, no different than any of the other journeymen coaches out there.. may as well add Dell Harris and Dunleavy to the list if you want to go down that road

It's a new NBA, time to think differently not regurgitate the same old .500 career coaches in a hope that this time they'll get it done

Well said.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: