Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #76
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: ☆Official Mike D'Antoni Thread: D'Antoni Resigns *CONFIRMED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
You can keep em both, no different than any of the other journeymen coaches out there.. may as well add Dell Harris and Dunleavy to the list if you want to go down that road

It's a new NBA, time to think differently not regurgitate the same old .500 career coaches in a hope that this time they'll get it done

Karl is no different than an other journeymen coaches, really?
Last time he had a losing reg season record was back in 1988,
That's 22 years of about 17+ different lineups with and without Melo, Payton, Allen etc.
Van Gundy has ONE losing season out of 11 yrs including losing superstars like Yao to injuries, inferior lineups in NY etc, no different than ANY other coaches?
If you are talking about guys like Bernie Bickerstaff or Brian Hill or PJ Carlessimo etc who had a few/several chances to win and repeatedly failed, then yes, Ill rather have Mark Madsen coach the team .
How innovative do you want the next coach to be, inventing a new playbook/system like a 7 second or less offense?
Don't know if Boston was in the tank mode, having a worst record than MDA, inspite of having a relatively healthy lineup, both Green and Bass never missed any games in a very bad conference and having a 71 million dollar payroll
yes Vogel and Mark Jackson had some success but same with the old folks like Pops and rethreads like Dwayne Casey and Terry Stotts!,
Erik Spoelstra is a Riley disciple, speaking of Pat, from his old book a few decades back, he shared at how he and Pfund were high-fiving bec they just invented a new strategy, the very old Bill Bertka, smirked and pulled an old book, opened it to a page pointing to the very identical play they were marveling about.
Im not saying Jeff or George will take the Lakers to the championship, nobody can in the next 4 yrs IMO, but they can be a transistional coach, train a young up and coming tactician while building a winning team like the early/mid80's and 90's Lakers. Both guys would probably not want to stay that long either, besides, who can handle Kobe anyway? Ollie? really?

Last edited by tamaraw08 : 05-06-2014 at 01:13 AM.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #77
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: ☆Official Coaches Thread: Mike D'Antoni Resigns *CONFIRMED*

The Lakers are interested in Roy Williams too.

They won't have a coach before the draft lottery reportedly, but I figured they wouldn't. I still think they'll have one for the draft though. Any potential coach is going to want to know how the draft lottery turns out for them.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:29 AM   #78
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...medium=twitter

Ollie is interested and will meet with the Lakers!
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #79
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24

They won't have a coach before the draft lottery reportedly, but I figured they wouldn't. I still think they'll have one for the draft though. Any potential coach is going to want to know how the draft lottery turns out for them.

If I have to pick a college coach, it would be coach K, Pitino, Cal, Williams and Self. I hate Vegas and not a gambling man, if Ollie is successfull in the next 3 years, then yes, Ill consider him.
I remember those bold and sexy hires.
Paul Westhead.
Jordan got sexy too when he managed Washington and hired Leonard Hamilton.
Sidney Lowe tried to be innovative at Vancouver, always drawing plays every time out.....into 2 seasons with identical 23-59 record.
Then Jerry West took over and what does he do?
Hire a 70+yr old Hubie Brown to take them to 2 winning/respectable seasons.
Almost the same way when he hired Del Harris at LA.
Lakers fell hard on it's face, cuts and bruises and possible some minor fracture that they need to regroup and start to get up and walk before they "run" again. I think of Mark Cuban who seems to be very bold and innovative and yet still put his trust on Rick Carlisle who already had stints at Indiana and Detroit= a rethread.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #80
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Lakers91 has decent reputationLakers91 has decent reputation

Quote:

Personally if they didn't have a coach by when they draft a player it'd be a little odd I think anyway, I think they'd want the coach after they know what pick they will have so the coach can have input on what player he'd like or have a say and then potentially plan developing that player etc (wouldn't matter that much if they picked after but I think a new coach would like input on which potential hopeful star the franchise will pick), I'm not really sure who they will pick though they might go for the more experienced coach in which they'd go for JVG to pry him from retirement or maybe Hollins if they want a disciplinarian and experienced coach (more experience in general as a coach including assistant) or if they want to go for a youthful Brad Stevens like Celtics decision then they might go for Ollie and that would certainly be different would probably be the least experienced coach they'd have had in awhile but maybe it's the right approach I don't know I am a fan of youthful hiring personally or a fresh perspective and having a senior assistant type coach (they could try and entice Ollie to join as an assistant coach/coach in waiting with an experienced head coach and tell him after 3-4 years the team is his with a succession plan but I don't think that would be very common for NBA standards anyway) no coach is going to win a championship for the team straight away without some free agency miracles so I suppose you could go with a youthful coach that could grow with the team and stay for many years or they go with the more experienced coach to try and make the team as good as possible with the players they have and the more experienced coach maybe more enticing for free agents, I don't see the FO hiring Ollie just yet if you read comments on him though from players and co-staff he is certainly highly praised and respected it seems especially for someone so young (41 is young for a head coach by NBA standards I think anyway), I wouldn't be a fan of a Dunleavey hire personally and I do still want Hollins preferably but I think it could be very unpredictable who they actually do pick.

Last edited by Lakers91 : 05-06-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Lakers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #81
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
I think of Mark Cuban who seems to be very bold and innovative and yet still put his trust on Rick Carlisle who already had stints at Indiana and Detroit= a rethread.

I've always thought Carlisle did a great job in Detroit. He's one of the only good coaches they've had in the past decade. He hadn't refined his people skills quite enough yet, but he's an incredible coach. I don't think Cuban reached on him with that hire at all.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #82
dd24
College superstar

Apparently Ollie hasn't been contacted.

Quote:
Mark Medina: Contrary to what's out there, I've been told by those in the know that Lakers haven't contacted Kevin Ollie yet. No meeting yet is planned Twitter

Obviously Coach K was out, but it sounds like Calipari is now too.

Quote:
League sources said the Lakers made their usual run at Duke Head coach Mike Krzyzewski, who is not leaving Duke. During the National Championship game, the Lakers interest in Kentucky coach John Calipari was leaked. Coach Cal immediately shot down the idea, although several people involved have said had Coach Cal wanted the job it would have been his. Basketball Insiders
Old 05-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #83
GimmeThat
Good college starter

GimmeThat posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryGimmeThat posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryGimmeThat posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

we should steal Kerr to our Front Office.

Not so much as a coach or GM, not sure what other roles are out there.
But his basketball brain could be quite valuable, and is probably a really fast learner.

Unless you know, he goes all Dwight on us.

GimmeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #84
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mark Jackson just got fired, wtf? McMenamin is reporting that LAL are interested in MJ. He's a fine coach and motivator. His religious stuff is a tad annoying though.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #85
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
Mark Jackson just got fired, wtf? McMenamin is reporting that LAL are interested in MJ. He's a fine coach and motivator. His religious stuff is a tad annoying though.

Can't see that really.. Jackson and Jerry West bumped heads from the start, West never wanted him as coach.... West and Mitch are very close to this day so Mitch will know all the inside dirt...

That being said Jackson seems like an OK coach and his players certainly have his back

I've never been overly impressed with him, but still I'll say he's done a solid job in his 36 months...

I just don't see it happening because of the above
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:14 PM   #86
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose

I'm not religious but I don't understand people who bad mouth religion, I mean it seems like more young people embrace hoodlums and thugs than they do people who are trying to do the right things and live the right way......I'm not bashing anyone so no offense, I just don't get it

I respect all religions that are not trying to kill people
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #87
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
I've always thought Carlisle did a great job in Detroit. He's one of the only good coaches they've had in the past decade. He hadn't refined his people skills quite enough yet, but he's an incredible coach. I don't think Cuban reached on him with that hire at all.

I really like Carlisle too because he was CONSISTENTLY good(which I was getting at) even though he failed to win it al,l Cuban didn't hire a college coach just because he thinks he needs an innovative tactician with very fresh ideas etc.
Im not opposed of hiring Mark Jackson bec of his good stint at Golden State but there must be a valid reason why they let him go, just like when they traded Monta Ellis.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #88
dd24
College superstar

I think it's dumb that Golden State fired Jackson too. Like I mentioned before I do find it odd that he couldn't get along with assistants or management. I don't think he's going to have a hard time finding a new job. The Lakers should at least bring him in for an interview.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #89
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
I think it's dumb that Golden State fired Jackson too. Like I mentioned before I do find it odd that he couldn't get along with assistants or management. I don't think he's going to have a hard time finding a new job. The Lakers should at least bring him in for an interview.

Yeah it obviously had to be something pretty bad because he wasn't a bad coach at all albeit there is a difference between being a good coach and being a player's coach but he certainly was popular with the players but that didn't stop him being fired in the end, I thought he did a pretty good job especially considering each playoff run they've had a pretty significant injury whether it be Lee or Bogut, I think someone noted earlier he didn't get along with West, it's strange but it certainly happens being fired over management disagreements I certainly think they made a mistake will be interesting who they get one of the rumours doing the rounds today is they will approach SVG.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #90
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I'm not religious but I don't understand people who bad mouth religion, I mean it seems like more young people embrace hoodlums and thugs than they do people who are trying to do the right things and live the right way......I'm not bashing anyone so no offense, I just don't get it

I respect all religions that are not trying to kill people

Religion is only bad when it is used for manipulation in the wrong hands (along with anything), I think people don't like religion because of wars waged in its name when really there would be anyway (Vietnam to stop the flawed domino theory of "communism", Iraq arguably for oil imo), always an excuse for war with or without religion but I think that's why some don't like it, not saying that's why he personally doesn't like religion it's just something I hear from my friends why they don't like it, maybe the above poster doesn't like it because it may distract players or something like that (I'm not religious either I'm strictly agnostic albeit was once a Christian/Monotheist not anymore though for some reason I thought you were religious )
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: