Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #46
CelticBaller
lite kobe

CelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Top 5 current rappers?

To say Drake is not a top rapper is like denying the holocaust
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #47
Fresh Kid
Banned

Fresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
To say Drake is not a top rapper is like denying the holocaust
top rapper on tha radio or period?
Fresh Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #48
TylerOO
Back in Cleveland!

TylerOO has decent reputationTylerOO has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOW1EDGE
Anybody who says Drake or Earl Sweatshirt is a total f*ckboy.

My (current) top 5 in no particular order;

Eminem
Big K.R.I.T
Kendrick
Tito Lopez
Joey Bada$$

Honorable Mention: Pusha T, Danny Brown, Ras Kass, Royce da 5'9"

Best producers: 9th Wonder, Statik Selektah, DJ Premier

90% of Em's shit has been trash since like 08
TylerOO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:32 AM   #49
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Hoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveRings
1. Nas
2. Kendrick
3. Eminem
4. Cole
5. Immortal Technique

Damn, this is the first mention of Eminem in their Top 5 in this entire thread up to this point. Sad. I'm not even that much of an Em fan (but I recognize skills where it's due) and never really was until Encore - where it became obvious dude began to improve with each and every album.

Slim Shady LP not too awful, but not that good either
MMLP, got better (still nothing special)
Eminem Show, OK getting better
Encore, better, finally Em gets in his comfort zone and isn't trying too damn hard to impress all rap fans; he's relaxed here, laid back, finally truly doesn't "give a fuck" the outcome is good material
Relapse, same as Encore, just better
Recovery, Em really coming into his own here - freely expressing himself without obviously seeming as if he's trying too hard to impress all levels of rap fans - music is creative, new sound (better) - not to mention - improved wordplay, improved flow/delivery/cadence (groundbreaking, actually)
MMLP2

Yes, I obviously realize most rap fans, most Em fans feel pretty much the opposite of my opinion of Eminem here, but face it, it's pretty much the truth. I can understand why some folks wouldn't care much for Encore and feel it's his worst album; but Encore was where Em finally woke up and realized he's at his best when he's not giving into industry pressure. He came with something more individual, unique and personal, and while most fans don't like it bc it's different - it's a great album for that very reason, it's different.

Em skill wise has been progressing album to album. It's something you can't ignore. Sure, the average fan can not like the direction he's taken since Encore, BUT there's no way you can deny the sheer skill/talent he brings to the table with each album he's improving on. Blame the production, hell, you can even blame the subject matter itself, but you can't says he's fallen off "spittin'" or "emcee" wise ... no sir, you can't.

He's the best in the game at the moment (especially if you're talking mainstream). No one really even comes close, with the exception of Tech N9ne. Tech is way up there (skill wise, too). No one is fuckin' with them two dudes. Personally, I like Wayne better than both of them, but just raw skill wise, he's nowhere near them, so I don't know exactly how to answer the "current Top 5 rappers" bc the context of the ? isn't clear.

Something on the level of "all things considered" my own personal Top 5 (current, not dead) would look something like this:

Kool Keith
Wayne
Tech N9ne
Eminem
Jay Z

... and outside of the abstract Kool Keith pick, that's a solid list you can't heavily argue against. Unless you're on some lame backpacker "underground forever, commercial die! mainstream will go down! underground 4 life!" shit ... and if you are, please get off it. The amount of hate on Em and Wayne is screaming backpackerism to the fullest. Quit trying to come off rap music enlightened. Ain't nobody with a lick of hip-hop sense buying your bullshit brand. Keep tryin'

Last edited by Hoodlum Science : 12-15-2013 at 02:15 AM.
Hoodlum Science is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #50
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Hoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHoodlum Science is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Legend-24
Nikka says "Anybody who says Drake or Earl Sweatshirt is a total f*ckboy"

Then proceeds to put Joey, and Eminem.

... then some fucktard puts Eminem in the same category as Drake and Earl.

You wanna say Wayne? iight, I can see that to some extent, but not Eminem. Why do idiots continue to place Eminem in the same likeness as legit-labeled "commercial" sounding artists such as Wayne and Drake for example? Eminem is commercial, but his sound isn't (for the most part). Learn the difference please.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #51
MetsPackers
new based god

MetsPackers has decent reputation

^^^^I was under the impression we were top of the game at the moment

If you'll notice Jay Z wasn't on anyones list and Nas was left off many as well
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #52
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerOO
90% of Em's shit has been trash since like 08

This response is EXACTLY what my post two posts up hits on. You don't like his newer "sound" ... I get that; I understand that. Say his sound is trash, say the music is trash (even though it clearly isn't) - but don't be foolish and look stupid by saying his skills are trash. Maybe you haven't truly "listened" to his shit post 2008. You've "heard" his shit since, automatically noticed it isn't the next SSLP, MMLP or Eminem Show so you automatically label it "trash" ... and you know why, don't you?

You heard it, you didn't listen. You're basing your opinion the sound/vibe/image of the music, you're not truly experiencing or understanding the emcee or artistry element to it all. My suggestion is to listen again, maybe attempt to look past it not being the next "My Name Is!" or "The Real Slim Shady" (both of which are PURE TRASH) ... and maybe you'll uncover the diamond(s) in the rough.

You want to hate on Encore ... even "skill wise" I get it ... truthfully speaking even skill wise he's lazyish you could say, but beginning with Relapse (2008 album), and especially into Recovery (post '08) and MMLP2 (post '08) how you gonna argue it's trash, ESPECIALLY if we're talking skill wise. And honestly, the sound/music itself is creative, modern and fresh - what's not to like about it, much less label it trash?

I'm just not understanding that argument.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #53
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy>
Eminem's new music is gay..... which makes you a gay.

He does collabs with rhianna... and didn't even bang her.

The real slim shady would never use gimmick features to get on pop radio.

My God what a joke statement.

My Name Is? ... that wasn't a gimmick?

Real Slim Shady? ... that wasn't a gimmick?

... yet, something like Not Afraid or Monster is SO DAMN GIMMICKY! ... really? In comparison, really?

I guess Beautiful from Relapse is mad gimmicky too, huh? I mean, Without Me from the far superior (supposedly) Eminem Show is obviously not a gimmick, and Like Toy Soldiers is most def a gimmick sound, right? You see where I'm going with this?

Quit hating on the sound or direction of the artist's music and say that much at least, and recognize the vocal, lyrical content talent instead of just calling it a gimmick attempt at getting on the radio when his first three albums are just as gimmicky IF NOT MORE than his last three/four. You can't have your cake and eat it too; call a spade a spade.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:06 AM   #54
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsPackers
^^^^I was under the impression we were top of the game at the moment

If you'll notice Jay Z wasn't on anyones list and Nas was left off many as well

Jay is still killin' 'em here and there... Nas? Not so much. I love me some Nas; a much more favored all-time artist (over Em) for all he's put out in the past, but Nas isn't burning up tracks and putting out fire albums, is he?

If Em were putting out, slow, lethargic sounding records these days, maybe I could understand - but - his sound is modern, keeping up with the times. Lyrically, and especially verbally Em is on a whole different level than 99% of anyone else out there ... and folks are so damn hellbent on his first three albums and almost entirely dismissing everything after that even though he's ripping the living shit out of things, shredding tracks and people want to cry about the "old slim shady" the "old Marshall"

... are you fucking kidding me? Everyone missing the nerd trying too hard wigger enhanced Eminem and not enjoying the new, matured super vocal monster that is Em today. It simply defies logic, but keep on making the argument (or lack thereof).

Last edited by Hoodlum Science : 12-15-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:27 AM   #55
MetsPackers
new based god

MetsPackers has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
Jay is still killin' 'em here and there... Nas? Not so much. I love me some Nas; a much more favored all-time artist (over Em) for all he's put out in the past, but Nas isn't burning up tracks and putting out fire albums, is he?

If Em were putting out, slow, lethargic sounding records these days, maybe I could understand - but - his sound is modern, keeping up with the times. Lyrically, and especially verbally Em is on a whole different level than 99% of anyone else out there ... and folks are so damn hellbent on his first three albums and almost entirely dismissing everything after that even though he's ripping the living shit out of things, shredding tracks and people want to cry about the "old slim shady" the "old Marshall"

... are you fucking kidding me? Everyone missing the nerd trying too hard wigger enhanced Eminem and not enjoying the new, matured super vocal monster that is Em today. It simply defies logic, but keep on making the argument (or lack thereof).

Did you not hear Life Is Good? Nas still got it. That shit was fire

Jay's been trash for years now, his new album is hot garbage
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #56
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsPackers
Did you not hear Life Is Good? Nas still got it. That shit was fire

Jay's been trash for years now, his new album is hot garbage

No, I haven't heard the entire albums of either Life Is Good or Jay's new one. I'll listen to both of them in due time (soon). A friend of mine who's pretty credible and has many of the same tastes I do, told me Nas on Life Is Good sound fat, heavy-winded and much slower, and that it's especially noticeable on tracks where he attempts to spit fast (bc that's seemingly the *thing* to do these days - kinda like when he made the track "Big Things" to add that swift down south mix to his album during the time - it was 98 when southern rap was beginning to take off). I'm not saying Nas' new album isn't good, etc ... I'm just saying I rarely disagree with this dude.

Same dude told me Jay's new album sounds like the same old Jay. His voice hasn't/flow/sound hasn't changed since the beginning. Said his album was average; nothing better or worse than BP3. A few hits here and there, mixed with usual filler and a few "fire" where the beats and vocals are good enough to keep us intrigued, nodding our heads and coming back for more - you know - the typical sink/line/hook shit that maintains real rap fan interest. Jay is much more focused on other projects and endeavors - so I'm not expecting a hell of a lot from him, but even having said all that, as he always has been, he's still better than most rappers out there bc that's just how good he is and always has been, by sheer default.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #57
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
My God what a joke statement.

My Name Is? ... that wasn't a gimmick?

Real Slim Shady? ... that wasn't a gimmick?

... yet, something like Not Afraid or Monster is SO DAMN GIMMICKY! ... really? In comparison, really?

I guess Beautiful from Relapse is mad gimmicky too, huh? I mean, Without Me from the far superior (supposedly) Eminem Show is obviously not a gimmick, and Like Toy Soldiers is most def a gimmick sound, right? You see where I'm going with this?

Quit hating on the sound or direction of the artist's music and say that much at least, and recognize the vocal, lyrical content talent instead of just calling it a gimmick attempt at getting on the radio when his first three albums are just as gimmicky IF NOT MORE than his last three/four. You can't have your cake and eat it too; call a spade a spade.
I said gimmick features. The old eminem would never hop on a song with rhianna. Also my name is was not a gimmick. He had to change most of the lyrics on that song just to get radio play. If you listen to the album the lyrics are totally different.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:50 AM   #58
Maniak
I Love LeBron

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

if u dont think monster bumps ur fvcked in the head.

rihanna goes so hard on her hooks its not even funny.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #59
The-Legend-24
LA DECIMA!!

The-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected posterThe-Legend-24 is a pretty well-respected poster

MCHG sounds like old Jay-Z?

Dude is so lazy now. I don't really blame him tho, he's already proven to be a goat with RD and TBA.
The-Legend-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #60
Hoodlum Science
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy>
I said gimmick features. The old eminem would never hop on a song with rhianna. Also my name is was not a gimmick. He had to change most of the lyrics on that song just to get radio play. If you listen to the album the lyrics are totally different.

"hop on a song with Rihanna" got damn this sounds so backpackerish. Maybe Eminem should just hook up with Jean Grae and no other female, period! Jay Z gets a pass for doing tracks with Beyonce, Alicia Keys and Mariah Carey, but Eminem does a song with Rihanna and it's supposedly game over.

I'm so sick and tired of the bullshit logic. Rihanna is mad talented. Doing a track with her isn't such a train-wreck like you seemingly make it seem to be. Grow up, and get off that "underground forever!" / "mainstream die!" steez. Backpack must be heavy.

... and dude, anyone with any common sense will tell you "My Name Is" was purely a gimmick to get radio play. Em will tell you that... Dre would tell you that. The number one main objective of that song was to get his name out there. An attention grabber. The lyrics were calling out anybody and everybody plus they momma in an attempt to get people talking about it... don't even try to tell me it wasn't.

Last edited by Hoodlum Science : 12-15-2013 at 03:01 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: