Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here
Default Internal Affairs vs. The Departed-

Here's the link for Internal Affairs if you've never seen it, the subtitles are hard to read at times though:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...Along&hl=en-GB

It's the first Asian film I've ever seen (unless "Better Luck tomorrow" counts) and I was impressed how well it was done, but I wish they would of made the film a bit longer. I don't think the Asian flick explained some things as clearly as they did. For example they should of spent a few more minutes on the beginning to explain the training, to explain on how Matt Damon's Character got up through promotions and why he had a special bond with the boss, and I wish they would of shown a bit more on the boss himself.

All in all, good film, but I don't think the American Version was much more polished and had a better storyline. The actors in "The Departed" was the best I've can remember in a while, and other then DiCaprio's character in "Internal Affairs", they were alright, maybe it's a cultural thing.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation
Default Re: Internal Affairs vs. The Departed-

Infernal
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
vincentda
Decent playground baller

vincentda has decent reputationvincentda has decent reputation

It's Infernal and yes A Better Tommorow counts as an asian film.
vincentda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

liked the script, but didn't like leonardo dicaprio in that role. matt damon was good though.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
NBAFan
Kids at the park dunk on me

NBAFan has an OK reputation so far

Infernal Affairs is better, I've seen all three parts and all are great. DiCaprio has the unique "talent" to get great and exciting roles and contribute with mediocre acting.
NBAFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
sydneyking
Banned

sydneyking has not been impressing people

Infernal Affairs was better. And this is coming from someone who cannot watch the majority of Asian cinema.
sydneyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
aahhsin
Banned

aahhsin has an OK reputation so far

infernal affairs was better...

in reponse to the first poster on why they didn't develop a bond between the characters, it is explained in infernal affiars 2 and 3.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:40 PM   #8
aahhsin
Banned

aahhsin has an OK reputation so far

also, the text messaging thing is not as clever as the morse code.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:06 AM   #9
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Infernal Affairs is wildely known as the best film to come out of Hong Kong, which actually means something because their media has been developed far more advance than other Asian countries including China.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
ronron15
High School Starter

ronron15 is considered somewhat coolronron15 is considered somewhat cool

internal affairs better...

departed got the storyline from them
ronron15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:13 AM   #11
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

I have yet to see Infernal Affairs, though I'm very interested in seeing it. If it's better than The Departed, than I'm sure I'll like it... One thing is for sure though, Martin Scorsese's adaptation is no farce. I don't know if any of you have purchased the DVD yet, or the special edition for that matter, but there is a bonus feature about the Boston Mob, and how a few of the characters in The Departed were based on real people. Jack Nicholson's character, for instance, was based on an actual gangster from South Boston named Whitey Bulger. Point being, Scorsese's version isn't just a cheap "American version", there is some legitimacy to the story.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

funny sidenote. the departed was banned in china because of the one scene where the mob was trying to sell state secrets to china.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

A lot of movies are banned in China for various reasons. One of my all time favorite movies, "Balzac and the little Chinese seamstress" is banned because it doesn't reflect kindly on the cultural revolution, though I find it to be one of the best films/book I've ever seen/read.

A lot of times, the government will force in a legal figure to represent good and righteousness just to show that the law always prevail. Ie. World without Theives, a cop was put in just to catch the theives just for that reason even though they play no part and made the movie significantly worse.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #14
Nightwolf
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Nightwolf has an OK reputation so far

So I just finished watching Infernal Affairs again. (Someone uploaded the entire film to Google Video!) After seeing the original, I'm sad to say The Departed actually sucked and it did not deserve Best Picture, nor did Good O Marty deserve Best Director.

Infernal Affair just simply offered so much better creativity, more impactful scenes, and more of an emotional connection. And frankly, I think both Tony Leung and Andy Lau did a better job then Leo and Matt (Not that Leo and Matt was bad). Overall, there's just a suspensful feeling in IA that The Departed lacks. IA was head and shoulder better in playing out this cat and mouse game between the two spies.

Now, don't take me saying "The Departed sucks" out of context. The Departed is still a good movie, but when compared to Infernal Affair, The Departed is no where near in quality and entertainment.
Nightwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Never seen Infernal Affairs but i watched the Departed last night and it was sick.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: