Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 03-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far
Default Gerald or Wally?

I'm a displaced Celts fan, so I haven't seen much of them in the past 3 years. I'm wondering if y'all think they are better off starting a swingman combo of Pierce & Wally or Pierce & Gerald Green? I watched last night's Knick's game and Green played very well. He's much faster than Wally and allows Pierce to defend the 3 where he's more comfortable, and he's got a nice j from deep. Is this just fool's gold from one game?
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Gerald or Wally?

Naw, its not fools gold. Wally, I love him, but he is slow. Beinga Timberwolves and Celtics fan, I have seen Wally for too many years, the kid has a nice jumper but not a great defender.

With G, it gives us a little more options on offense and defense. I say make that move.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

There isn't even a choice anymore. Szczerbiak is now in his second straight year where a injury has ended his season.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
There isn't even a choice anymore. Szczerbiak is now in his second straight year where a injury has ended his season.
that is true. still, i understood that they wanted to get rid of ricky, but i never really got the wally trade. i mean his best skills are as a perimeter shooter (which all teams need) and as a post-forward (a job already covered by pierce). paul is such a powerful swingman, wouldn't you want to pair his strength with speed on the wings?

and whatever happend to tony allen? he was playing pretty well a couple years ago.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Davis trade was to get rid of Mark Blount, not Ricky Davis. And Davis's quickness was useful when he applied himself on D, but not that important otherwise. On offense Szczerbiak's a better compliment to Pierce because he's more of an off-the-ball scorer. Tony Allen tore his ACL and is out for the season.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
The Davis trade was to get rid of Mark Blount, not Ricky Davis. And Davis's quickness was useful when he applied himself on D, but not that important otherwise. On offense Szczerbiak's a better compliment to Pierce because he's more of an off-the-ball scorer. Tony Allen tore his ACL and is out for the season.
damn, with all the injuries this season there should be a place fans can go to donate their tendons and ligaments to their favorite teams!
Old 03-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Green can drive, and in a few years can probably defend very well, jump out the building and shoot the ball lights out. Wally can shoot and injure his body parts.

Gerald +
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Wally is getting old... Gerald is our future at that position for the time being. I think that Wally, when healthy, is obviously a better player than Gerald right now. Unfortunately, as Real Men Wear Green noted, he hasn't been healthy for some time.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Wally is getting old... Gerald is our future at that position for the time being. I think that Wally, when healthy, is obviously a better player than Gerald right now. Unfortunately, as Real Men Wear Green noted, he hasn't been healthy for some time.
but who gets more tommy points?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

I've been watching Wally for years, and he's never been a good, nor above average defender, has always been slow, and always gets hurt. The Celtics got absolutely raped in the Timberwolves trade last year, since Ricky alone is worth two Wally's alone... but they had to get rid of Blount.

Green is already more reliable than Wally, I'd take Green over him right now and the future...
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
Lebowski
Sweden Loves the Green

Lebowski has decent reputation

No to hate on Wally, but for the other (or Gerald) to get to share his PT, at this stage of the season is just as well. Trade Wally possible at all ? Whats his contract situation ?
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Wally is the most injury-prone Celtics player since Pervis Ellison. That said, when healthy Wally is better tha GG right now, but long-term GG surpasses him.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:28 AM   #13
JMEWLS

Gerald i think is for real, now i would take him over Wally all day.

Wally is not the player he once was, injury has really slowed him down the last few years. Dont get me wrong, he still has one of the sweetest shots in the league. But i think its time for him to step down, age is catching up, and i dont think he'll ever be the player he once was.

Gerald Green, i really like. He's got a very nice 3point shot, and is very athletic. He's also a pretty nice rebounder for his size. He's inconsistent as of now, but thats what you usually get from young players. Give him time to develope and your young core in Gomes, Jefferson, Rondo ect. could be a very solid team in the future.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:12 PM   #14
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEWLS
Gerald i think is for real, now i would take him over Wally all day.

Wally is not the player he once was, injury has really slowed him down the last few years. Dont get me wrong, he still has one of the sweetest shots in the league. But i think its time for him to step down, age is catching up, and i dont think he'll ever be the player he once was.

Gerald Green, i really like. He's got a very nice 3point shot, and is very athletic. He's also a pretty nice rebounder for his size. He's inconsistent as of now, but thats what you usually get from young players. Give him time to develope and your young core in Gomes, Jefferson, Rondo ect. could be a very solid team in the future.
would you prefer to add oden or durant to that core. i think the clear pick for the present is oden, because pierce gives us enough of what durant would bring, but if you're looking at the future of the club, who would you guys watching nesn every night want?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #15
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Oden. He could make this team's D great while Green and Jefferson already give an inside-outside balance on offense.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: