Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
YaoMacBat11
Decent playground baller

YaoMacBat11 has an OK reputation so far
Default Yao cleared for practice....YAY!

Yao was cleared for practice and practiced with the Rockets on thursday, this means Houston domination of the NBA will soon begin ;) I can't wait. I was reading an article in the Houston Chronicle and I guess he asked if he could start playing in the second half of the raptors game. Thats funny, but it shows how badly he wants to get out there and compete!

GO HOUSTON, by the way are they on ESPN tonight?
YaoMacBat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Yao cleared for practice....YAY!

That makes me happy because Chuck might be reinserted into the starting lineup!!
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
March 2, 2007, 1:03AM
Yao takes a big step
Center practices with Rockets, awaits decision on when he can play

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

During Yao Ming's exam at halftime of the Rockets' loss to the Toronto Raptors on Wednesday, Rockets team physician Tom Clanton told Yao he would be medically cleared to begin practicing Thursday.

Yao asked if he could play in the second half.

Doctors did not allow that and did not forecast when he would be able to play in games. But Yao practiced with the team Thursday for the first time since he fractured his right tibia Dec. 23.

"It was hard, a first day, but it was better than I thought," Yao said. "Last time, I had a toenail removed. I missed like one week. I came back and felt like everything went away — no conditioning, no skill or anything. Today felt much better than that day. I'm another step closer to playing."

Asked if he could play as soon as tonight against the Denver Nuggets, Yao said, "Don't set a trap for me. (The timetable) is on the doctor and coach."

The Rockets have not set a target date for Yao's return, though Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said again he is not part of that decision but believes if Yao is healthy enough for a full-contact practice, he seems healthy enough for a full-contact game.

Why not now?

"I truly don't understand contact practices and then not being able to play, but that's just me," Van Gundy said. "It's not for me to understand. That's got to be up to doctors, trainers (and) Yao. It's not for me to say. I don't see it the same way. I don't think banging against Jake Tsakalidis, his knee has any better (information) than he would Nené (tonight)..

"I don't make those decisions. They'll put him back on the court when they want to."

Yao has been attending practices and participating in shoot-arounds and walk-throughs at home and on the road since the return from the All-Star break to become more accustomed to changes in Rockets' plays and game plans.

"There has been three parts to his rehab," Rockets assistant head coach Tom Thibodeau said. "One, the obvious, physical therapy and recovery. He's been diligent with that since the injury. Whatever he can do, he does every day. The second part is the basketball component. We don't want him to lose his touch or his feel for the ball. Since he's been hurt, he's done whatever he can in terms of handling and shooting the ball, from in the chair, to standing, to jumping, to pivoting.

"The third part is the strength and conditioning."

That phase took a major step Thursday with the addition of contact practices. But after his first workout with the team, however, Yao said the level of contact in practice has increased by roughly the 290 pounds of Tsakalidis.

"The substitution on black team for Dikembe (Mutombo) was Juwan (Howard) and maybe Chuck (Hayes)," Yao said. "Now, after Dikembe was Jake, two 7-footers. I feel like saying some bad words. Jake, his size and his weight are really hard on me but will be really a big help for me getting back in shape."

Tsakalidis said he could tell Yao's conditioning was not back, but that it was well ahead of last season when Yao returned from six weeks rehabilitation following toe surgery, playing his first game against Tsakalidis in Memphis.

"He moved pretty smooth for a first practice, first time back at practice," Tsakalidis said. "He still has to get himself back in shape for running up and down and contact. For a first practice, he was very good.

"He was more tired last year. In the game, he was able to play only a couple minutes and he got tired."

Yao played 33 minutes that night, making seven of 14 shots for 15 points, with eight rebounds. In the next two games, he averaged 22.5 points and 13.5 rebounds.

"I was totally out of shape," Yao said. "The first day is always hard.

"Last year was just the toe. You cut off a piece of toe, that's not going to hurt you. The knee, everybody knows, is so important for a basketball player. Will it bother me to play in a live game? Practice and a game are very different. One goes from a level of running, non-contact, to today's contact. I feel it is different. A game is another level."

Knee brace problematic

Yao has repeatedly said he is uncomfortable with the knee brace that doctors have required he wear to play. During workouts, he often stops momentarily to readjust or pull the brace. But he also seems to have made his peace with the requirement.

"I believe the brace will be the best way to protect my knee, especially when I first come back to play," Yao said. "It will limit me, of course. Like my arm brace three years ago, same thing.

"But you don't run with your arm."

Yao, however, was finally permitted to do more than run, lift and shoot. He was able to practice, bringing him a clear step closer to playing again.

"I'm excited," he said. "I'm very excited."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl...kn/4595711.html

You gotta love his passion for the game. He'd probably play tonight if the Doctors cleared him. The thing is, I don't think we'll see the Dominant Yao that we saw at the beginning of the season. He's going to need some time to get his game back and that might take until offseason.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
YaoMacBat11
Decent playground baller

true, but it seems each time he goes down with an injury he usually comes back a lot better from watching tape to doing a lot of shooting drills, the guys desire to play is unmatched. He's awesome, but hopefully by the playoffs we'll see the old yao from the start of the season

Old 03-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
DreamRockets
National High School Star

DreamRockets has an OK reputation so far

finally god damn it
DreamRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This is great news for Rocket fans and the country of China...

I wonder how long it will take him to "trust" his knee again.... is an interesting facet of the recovery process.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
Comedy Central
Kids at the park dunk on me

Comedy Central has an OK reputation so far

current Rocket team + Yao Ming = NBA Champions
Comedy Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMacBat11
true, but it seems each time he goes down with an injury he usually comes back a lot better from watching tape to doing a lot of shooting drills, the guys desire to play is unmatched. He's awesome, but hopefully by the playoffs we'll see the old yao from the start of the season

Yeah that was what I was thinking that too. Imagine if he came back better than before the injury?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedy Central
current Rocket team + Yao Ming = NBA Champions

Now thats comedy central!!! haha :

Old 03-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
YaoMacBat11
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike

With Yao back, we will be able to dominate the middle, something we couldn't do with him out. With him roaming and dominated the middle, along with the emergence of Deke, and T-mac playing the way he was, we have a soild chance of pounding the Lakers each time we play them from here on out.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #11
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMacBat11
With Yao back, we will be able to dominate the middle, something we couldn't do with him out. With him roaming and dominated the middle, along with the emergence of Deke, and T-mac playing the way he was, we have a soild chance of pounding the Lakers each time we play them from here on out.

Hold up... why does everyone bring the Lakers into it when a comment is made about their team. I was not even thinking about the Lakers!

I was thinking of the Mavs, Suns, Spurs and even Pistons as teams that could take out the Rockets.... No offense but they are not "elite" yet. That is my humble opinion.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #12
YaoMacBat11
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Hold up... why does everyone bring the Lakers into it when a comment is made about their team. I was not even thinking about the Lakers!

I was thinking of the Mavs, Suns, Spurs and even Pistons as teams that could take out the Rockets.... No offense but they are not "elite" yet. That is my humble opinion.

I was just joshing with you, I saw the Lakers icon on your name so i was gonna give you a hard time...

each time we played Dallas we were either leading in the 4th or close, we've competed against the Mavs and the Spurs very well without Yao, and adding yao would only help our chances. The only team that I am worried about would be the Suns, just because of there quickness and speed
Old 03-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Quote:

HAHA, same thing I thought of when I saw his alias. Is this kid going for jokes or something? But on a serious tip, Rockets do have a shot to win the 'ship. We'll just have to wait and see how the playoffs turn out. Either way, we have to get pass Dallas and/or Phoenix to get to where they want to be.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
DreamRockets
National High School Star

DreamRockets has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

more than believing kobe is gonna win a ring without shaq ?
DreamRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamRockets
more than believing kobe is gonna win a ring without shaq ?

Here we go again... this thread is about the Rockets dude... NOT the Lakers... I am not bashing anyone. I am offering an honest opinion.

I got mad respect for Yao... so please chill.

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: