Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #106
Fab17
Learning to shoot layups
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 55
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Good job, Stan. Ending a 14 streak of losses to Djoko was awesome.

Some players complained about how fast the courts were at tournament beggining, and sure, that is an advantage for Berdych.

Still, Im 50-50 in this one.
Fab17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #107
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Under Iraq, beside a tree.
Posts: 13,614
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
He won 3 titles in 2011, GOAT level peak, destroyed Rafa... only times rafa lost in a major final since he was pre-prime facing peak roger in 06&07 at wimbledon.

2012 1 title, 2013 1 title...

He clearly hasnt been the same, it was enough for great majors but in 2011 he was a different beast. Dont get me wrong, he's still tennis' dominator right behind Rafa...
uh... when you say "title," you mean "major." he won a lot more titles than that.

no, the only guy who dominated majors like that was the arguable GOAT, rod laver.

but i would argue that djokes is not really been much different. better in some ways, a little shaky in some big points, now. but he pushed rafa, and rafa made some adjustments, and now it's everyone's task to adjust to the current rafa. that's just the way it goes IMO. similar thing happened with federer before them.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #108
Budadiiii
Banned
 
Budadiiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 13,004
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

He started eating gluten again in 2012 which is why he couldn't sustain the dominance.

Before that year he was always overshadowed by Rafa and Federer.. he had something to prove that year. He put in the work and took the throne.

It was no fluke.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #109
ArbitraryWater
Teen Prodigy
 
ArbitraryWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I walk a higher path, son
Posts: 26,286
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
He started eating gluten again in 2012 which is why he couldn't sustain the dominance.

Before that year he was always overshadowed by Rafa and Federer.. he had something to prove that year. He put in the work and took the throne.

It was no fluke.

Yeah no fluke.. used the wrong word, maybe simply should have said he never was that dominant again.
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #110
ArbitraryWater
Teen Prodigy
 
ArbitraryWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I walk a higher path, son
Posts: 26,286
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
uh... when you say "title," you mean "major." he won a lot more titles than that.

no, the only guy who dominated majors like that was the arguable GOAT, rod laver.

but i would argue that djokes is not really been much different. better in some ways, a little shaky in some big points, now. but he pushed rafa, and rafa made some adjustments, and now it's everyone's task to adjust to the current rafa. that's just the way it goes IMO. similar thing happened with federer before them.

Hehe are you serious?? Nobody judges these all time greats based on ANYTHING else BUT majors

NEVER heard that before.

Agreed with him pushing rafa, but clearly hes not as consistent as 2011 anymore.
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #111
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Under Iraq, beside a tree.
Posts: 13,614
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
Hehe are you serious?? Nobody judges these all time greats based on ANYTHING else BUT majors

NEVER heard that before.

Agreed with him pushing rafa, but clearly hes not as consistent as 2011 anymore.
that's crazy. but i guess if you know almost nothing about the tennis season, then saying that "the only thing that counts is majors" makes sense.

overall ATP points, number of titles, match records, masters tournaments (incl. the year-ender) are all heavy factors.

ATP points are arguably more important than majors, since majors are directly represented in the point system (2000).

majors don't even mean the same thing, over the decades. not so long ago there were two cycles of majors, and they didn't even let pros play the current set!
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #112
Grinder
.
 
Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,470
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
that's crazy. but i guess if you know almost nothing about the tennis season, then saying that "the only thing that counts is majors" makes sense.

overall ATP points, number of titles, match records, masters tournaments (incl. the year-ender) are all heavy factors.

ATP points are arguably more important than majors, since majors are directly represented in the point system (2000).

majors don't even mean the same thing, over the decades. not so long ago there were two cycles of majors, and they didn't even let pros play the current set!

lol, Marcelo Rios was a #1 ranked player at one time and never won a slam. Thomas Johannsson and Gaston Gaudio never came close to that but they'll always be known for winning a slam.

Masters tournaments are nice paydays and have a lot of implications in the rankings but in the end, slams are and will continue to be the defining accomplishment that tennis players' careers are judged by.

Last edited by Grinder : 01-21-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #113
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Under Iraq, beside a tree.
Posts: 13,614
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
lol, Marcelo Rios was a #1 ranked player at one time and never won a slam. Thomas Johannsson and Gaston Gaudio never came close to that but they'll always be known for winning a slam.

Masters tournaments are nice paydays and have a lot of implications in the rankings but in the end, slams are and will continue to be the defining accomplishment that tennis players' careers are judged by.
i never said it was a perfect system. just look at wozniacki. worst #1 player of all time AFAIK.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #114
Fab17
Learning to shoot layups
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 55
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
lol, Marcelo Rios was a #1 ranked player at one time and never won a slam. Thomas Johannsson and Gaston Gaudio never came close to that but they'll always be known for winning a slam.

Masters tournaments are nice paydays and have a lot of implications in the rankings but in the end, slams are and will continue to be the defining accomplishment that tennis players' careers are judged by.

Add Albert Costa to the trio and we can debate who is the worst player ever to win a major.
Fab17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #115
ArbitraryWater
Teen Prodigy
 
ArbitraryWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I walk a higher path, son
Posts: 26,286
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
that's crazy. but i guess if you know almost nothing about the tennis season, then saying that "the only thing that counts is majors" makes sense.

overall ATP points, number of titles, match records, masters tournaments (incl. the year-ender) are all heavy factors.

ATP points are arguably more important than majors, since majors are directly represented in the point system (2000).

majors don't even mean the same thing, over the decades. not so long ago there were two cycles of majors, and they didn't even let pros play the current set!

Just like Grinder said, you're talking way out of your ass. Nr.1 requirement is Majors, rest way below.

Its basically majors&weeks as nr.1, then everybody makes their case for each player and explains why he maybe didnt win as much...

LMFAOO at their being in some all time comparison, and the dude says "djokovich won a 500 in 2012, he was great!"

atp points more important

Dude, just leave it, talk basketball and thats it.
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 PM   #116
ArbitraryWater
Teen Prodigy
 
ArbitraryWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I walk a higher path, son
Posts: 26,286
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
lol, Marcelo Rios was a #1 ranked player at one time and never won a slam. Thomas Johannsson and Gaston Gaudio never came close to that but they'll always be known for winning a slam.

Masters tournaments are nice paydays and have a lot of implications in the rankings but in the end, slams are and will continue to be the defining accomplishment that tennis players' careers are judged by.

This. x100. Dont know what hes thinking, at this point he defends his statement but even he knows its crap.
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:13 PM   #117
gigantes
Tor Johnson.
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Under Iraq, beside a tree.
Posts: 13,614
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
Just like Grinder said, you're talking way out of your ass. Nr.1 requirement is Majors, rest way below.

Its basically majors&weeks as nr.1, then everybody makes their case for each player and explains why he maybe didnt win as much...

LMFAOO at their being in some all time comparison, and the dude says "djokovich won a 500 in 2012, he was great!"

atp points more important

Dude, just leave it, talk basketball and thats it.
question-- in your little black-and-white world, what happens when you occasionally glimpse a shade of grey or god forbid, an actual color?

do you go running and screaming, or do you just slam down the visor a little more firmly...?
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #118
DuMa
Canned
 
DuMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 27,827
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

The Stanimal! best swiss player alive today!
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #119
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 25,423
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Dimitrov had the 3rd set and gave it away. Now Rafa gonna finish him off.

Federer vs. Murray coming up next. Let's go Fed!
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:05 AM   #120
imdaman99
Knicks all da way
 
imdaman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 18,688
Default Re: 2014 Australian Open of Tennis

Nadal looked horrible that match and still won. Stuff of legends. Although going forward, that blister looks bad. Caused him to make so many errors. It's better than having knee problems though.

Hope Fed wins so we can see that Fedal match... although at this point those are getting easier and easier for Nadal.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy