Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 AM   #16
El Gato Negro
I get buckets.

Default Re: Why were we more skilled at more difficult games when we were younger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
I'm talking about playing the same game, revisiting one you've already played from the past, and not generational gaps.
hmm i don't see any challenge in beating a game you have already beat. i have found the opposite true myself, no arthritis yet so my gaming skills have trended upward the older i get. although i do have less time to game now as i work 7 days a week.
El Gato Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:01 AM   #17
Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Default Re: Why were we more skilled at more difficult games when we were younger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Negro
hmm i don't see any challenge in beating a game you have already beat. i have found the opposite true myself, no arthritis yet so my gaming skills have trended upward the older i get. although i do have less time to game now as i work 7 days a week.

What career/occupation do you have now that you're working 7 days a week?
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:32 AM   #18
El Gato Negro
I get buckets.

Quote:
What career/occupation do you have now that you're working 7 days a week?
i work in a metal fab shop running and programming lasers and robots. which isnt nearly as interesting as it might sound.
El Gato Negro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 PM   #19
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Negro
i work in a metal fab shop running and programming lasers and robots. which isnt nearly as interesting as it might sound.

I'm using this at the bar tonight
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:21 AM   #20
GoSpursGo1984
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Done. Finished Outrageous and Funky. You'd expect Funky to be a bit more challenging being the final stage of the area and all, but it wasn't too bad. Lost of couple lives in the process. Outrageous however didn't disappoint. Shit was difficult as hell if you're playing a "little man" no fire-power or cape/leaf flying ability Mario, which is what I did, and it was mega frustrating at parts. Tubular was mos def the most challenging and it was only the second of the eight.

Over the years I've grown to love and appreciate the simple yet classic level designs that is collectively the Super Mario Brothers franchise. Super Mario 3 on the NES and Super Mario World on SNES are without question the best releases. I have yet to play the Wii Super Mario game that is supposed to be the next in the platform series, and not like Mario Galaxy that is 3D.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Mario 64 and the 3D world of Mario and all, but nothing will ever replace or be better than the original. Side scrolling platforming Mario changed the history of gaming and still to this day one of the most entertaining of them all.

_____

Outside of Star Road and this *SPECIAL* section of the game, what are some of the more challenging and difficult stages/levels? List them. While you're at it, tell me some of your favorite stages; where you really liked the design for some reason or another, some boss or enemy you hated or enjoyed going up against. Ghost Houses, Castles whatever muthafucka, tell this ATM Super Mario fan that you 'bout it 'bout it when it comes to them gumpas, them turtles, tell me that Yoshi is your nigga and that you got his back ... get it, 'cause you're riding on his, you know, back.

OK that was gay.

Had to go back and watch videos of the levels because I have not played in a while. My favorite stages weremYoshi's Island 2 Vanilla Dome 1, Forest of Illusion 1, Chocolate Island 5, Valley Of Bowser 3 . My least favorite are Larry's Castle, Butter Bridge 2, Soda Lake, Sunken Ghost Ship, Tubular.
The enemies I hated were

Rip Van Fish they keep chasing you
Grinders the could be hard to avoid
MagiKoopa keep trying to hit you with the spell and would disappear and appear
GoSpursGo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:57 AM   #21
Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpursGo1984
Had to go back and watch videos of the levels because I have not played in a while. My favorite stages weremYoshi's Island 2 Vanilla Dome 1, Forest of Illusion 1, Chocolate Island 5, Valley Of Bowser 3 . My least favorite are Larry's Castle, Butter Bridge 2, Soda Lake, Sunken Ghost Ship, Tubular.
The enemies I hated were

Rip Van Fish they keep chasing you
Grinders the could be hard to avoid
MagiKoopa keep trying to hit you with the spell and would disappear and appear

Yeah, Sunken Ghost Ship was lame. Too easy and just so random why they even had it in the game to begin with. But Soda Lake, you got that as one of your least favorites? E-ga is you crazy? One of the better stages and placed/positioned at the perfect location on the world map. Happy Meals and Soda Lake. Dutta dut dah duh, I'm lovin' it ... and you hatin' it? Shame brugh.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:44 AM   #22
GoSpursGo1984
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Yeah, Sunken Ghost Ship was lame. Too easy and just so random why they even had it in the game to begin with. But Soda Lake, you got that as one of your least favorites? E-ga is you crazy? One of the better stages and placed/positioned at the perfect location on the world map. Happy Meals and Soda Lake. Dutta dut dah duh, I'm lovin' it ... and you hatin' it? Shame brugh.

I have never been a fan of underwater levels in Mario they just are not as fun as levels where you can jump around.
GoSpursGo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #23
Nevaeh
National High School Star

I used to think it was your skills "diminishing" before, but now I think it's more tied to you just being mentally far removed from certain games that you used to play, versus the more "modern" ones that you enjoy now.

It's kinda like learning to solve math problems using only paper all over again, and not using a calculator. Sure, you can still solve those math questions, it just takes a while to get readjusted to doing it without any cheats or crutches like you can nowadays.

Even with the newer games, you'll find yourself failing a lot. It's just that for most of them, you're not forced into a "game over" screen and then kicked back to the first level like before.

As much love as I have for the old school games, I find myself enjoying the "modern era" of games (PS2 and on...) a lot more.
Nevaeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #24
absalom
Great young streetballer

after 20 years I finally finished contra.

(well havent played the game in 20 years)
absalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #25
outbreak
Custom User Title

I think it's just lack of practice, I've gone back many times and played games I used to play as a kid and sucked. If i keep at it for long enough I get back in the groove. One thing I put it down to is that as a kid if i got a new game I'd play that one game for hours on end until I'd mastered it, these days I'll get a new game and play it for a half hour before I'm bored and move onto the next one.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:21 AM   #26
BrownEye007
Great young streetballer

Quote:
No, because games like Mario Kart, Star Fox, etc I've already played through and completed no problems. Hand and eye coordination is same. It's the side scrolling games that are giving me issues. Not sure if you guys remember a SNES game called Gradius III, but it's a side scrolling aircraft shooter and it was hard then, shit is hard now.

Long term use of opiates isn't anything like doing meth or dropping LSD/ecstasy. I've never been heavy into the brain cell killing ones. At one time I was big into coke, but that was very short lived. Opiates have always been my thing, and there's no evidence it's really bad on the brain like a lot of other substances.

There's no doubt it impacts and affects the brain, but I'm just as dumb now as I was with or without popping pills.

LSD doesn't kill brain cells.
BrownEye007 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: