Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #91
T.O.RapsJays
Go Jays/Raptors!!
 
T.O.RapsJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 762
T.O.RapsJays has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
It doesn't matter because you're wrong and an idiot.

Bro, go do your homework and then come back with an actual intellectual argument. I have 15+ years of studying on the matter, even though that's only because I imagined it so.

Like one of the greatest athletes ever in the NBA once said: "The game is 99% mental, 1% physical."
T.O.RapsJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #92
moe94
beef?got the right mac
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 18,616
moe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.RapsJays
Bro, go do your homework and then come back with an actual intellectual argument. I have 15+ years of studying on the matter, even though that's only because I imagined it so.

Like one of the greatest athletes ever in the NBA once said: "The game is 99% mental, 1% physical."

1.Stop being an idiot.

2.You need more research on this matter.
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:21 AM   #93
T.O.RapsJays
Go Jays/Raptors!!
 
T.O.RapsJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 762
T.O.RapsJays has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
1.Stop being an idiot.

2.You need more research on this matter.

Damn, I forgot to bold an irrelevant part of my post, good catch. But it's ok, since history is only what I make it out to be, I'll imagine a better reality.
T.O.RapsJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #94
Budadiiii
Banned
 
Budadiiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Light at the End of the Tunnel
Posts: 8,289
Budadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.RapsJays
Bro, go do your homework and then come back with an actual intellectual argument. I have 15+ years of studying on the matter, even though that's only because I imagined it so.

Like one of the greatest athletes ever in the NBA once said: "The game is 99% mental, 1% physical."
Troll confirmed.

Albert Einstein once said that intelligence is 99% physical, 1% mental...

Wait... that's not right. It doesn't matter. You're still an idiot and a troll. Come back when you've done your homework. Thanks.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 AM   #95
Bandito
Banned
 
Bandito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 12,524
Bandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBandito is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.RapsJays
Bro, go do your homework and then come back with an actual intellectual argument. I have 15+ years of studying on the matter, even though that's only because I imagined it so.

Like one of the greatest athletes ever in the NBA once said: "The game is 99% mental, 1% physical."
I was being sarcastic...
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 AM   #96
moe94
beef?got the right mac
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 18,616
moe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Ya'll ain't even doing your research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
I was being sarcastic...

the joke
...
your head
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:31 AM   #97
Budadiiii
Banned
 
Budadiiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Light at the End of the Tunnel
Posts: 8,289
Budadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this boardBudadiiii has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
I was being sarcastic...
Is this sarcasm or unintended irony? The world may never know.
Budadiiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #98
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 22,125
Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Look as we advance through intellect, older ideas will be replaced by new ones. Einstein's biggest downfall is his unwillingness to accept the Quantum World. The more we understand QP, the less relevant he will be; just like how he made Newton irrevelant before him.

So Einstein is a dick because he didn't figure everything out all at once? It's one thing to disagree but another to disrespect.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:35 AM   #99
T.O.RapsJays
Go Jays/Raptors!!
 
T.O.RapsJays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 762
T.O.RapsJays has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
I was being sarcastic...

Wat? Notsureifsrus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budadiiii
Albert Einstein once said that intelligence is 99% physical, 1% mental...

He clearly plagiarized that phrase.
T.O.RapsJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:37 AM   #100
moe94
beef?got the right mac
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 18,616
moe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermoe94 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Rambo is basically an unfunny EuroLeague that only posts in the OTC. Damn, what a niche.

They even post the same way.
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:58 AM   #101
gigantes
A piece of fluff
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,209
gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.hee
... That being said...the whole simulation idea is pretty compelling to me. It's just that you don't need Wikipedia-level knowledge of Kant and quantum mechanics in order to argue for it. It's just common sense. The existence of dreams we aren't reliably able to distinguish from what we call "reality" is more than enough to make such arguments.

I mean basically...Matrix was simply the brain in a vat-idea applied to many humans in the context of a shared reality. You don't need philosophical ramblings and half-assed physics for that. Just the assumption that is shouldn't matter for our own perception of the world whether the input is coming through our sensory system or directly applied to the relevant brain areas themselves. So if it's indeed practically possible (no idea if we'll ever find out) to make the brain respond in the same way to artificially created input than it does to data our sensory system is gathering, a simulation isn't that strange of a thought.

An even better example for this than dreams are neurophysiological differences between auditory hallucinations and imagining a voice. In short...using neuroimaging, we can distinguish if someone is hearing a real voice or just imagining a conversation, because brain areas related to processing data coming in from the outside aren't active when imagining a sound. But we can't tell if someone is hallucinating a voice or hearing a real one only by looking at brain images, because even without any input, the brain still activates the same areas anyway. Hallucinations appear real for people, because the brain is doing exactly the same thing as if the voice was really there. Pretty cool.

So in theory, if it's somehow possible to feed the brain with the relevant data, there's not much that's speaking against simulation arguments. ...
best post i've read here in a while.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:18 AM   #102
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star
 
BankShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,349
BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
1. Kant believe we have "instruments" that allow us to view this world. It is the 5 senses. It is the mind that constructs this reality. The core of our reality is made up of light, energy, vibrations, etc. The mind takes the light to create vision, vibration to create sound, etc. It is our mind that creates reality and not the other way around.

2. Planck (a much smarter scientist than Einstein) ran a few experiments that pretty much prove waves (electrical charges) don't actually become matter unless if someone looks at it. He concluded that matter does not exist and our observation of the world is what creates it, hence the creation of Quantum Physics (greatest science of all time).

C'mon now, this thread will be much more effect with posts like this, OP.

Clearly these ideas are beyond what the average person is exposed to, and since your'e so passionate about this kind of thought why don't you use this opportunity to at least try to share your years of experience and understanding instead of assigning homework and being condescending

Explain what about Eistein physics is outdated... maybe explain or postulate about what carries over and how Einstein's understanding inspired the new school of thought.

Potentially interesting stuff, but if you're looking for well-rearched, hard debate, about quantum physics then this probably isn't the internet community for you. If you're truly passionate and have spent so much time with it, then share it with us so we too can be interested and learn

Last edited by BankShot : 01-19-2014 at 08:46 AM.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:26 AM   #103
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year
 
miller-time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,992
miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
We can alter the past; what happens in the past is no longer an objective reality but rather a reflection of our present mental state. Sure we might have photos, artifacts, videos, etc. to remind us of the past, but the past is nothing more than just a thought, a memory, it doesn't exist other than our reflection of it.

But the point is that if we are altering the past why do we still see an interference pattern after the non-observed experiment has been performed? By observing the data we should only see a discrete pattern because our present perception should influence the results of the past experiment no?

Last edited by miller-time : 01-19-2014 at 04:43 AM.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:32 AM   #104
Overdrive
Local High School Star
 
Overdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,237
Overdrive has decent reputationOverdrive has decent reputation
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

Damn..

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
2. Planck (a much smarter scientist than Einstein) ran a few experiments that pretty much prove waves (electrical charges) don't actually become matter unless if someone looks at it. He concluded that matter does not exist and our observation of the world is what creates it, hence the creation of Quantum Physics (greatest science of all time).

Planck postulated that actual matter is made of energy of discrete levels and that wavelength & energy are coupled. De Broglie proved that years later.
He hasn't said if you don't look there's no matter, he said if you can not look there's no matter. Meaning if something permits waves from escaping matter can not be formed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Then I present to you the concept of quantum entanglement. A photon in the present can actually alter one in the past.

What does this mean in elementary terms?

This means our current conscious observation of a photon can alter the "geolical events" of the past. It goes to reason if we can alter physical matter in the past state, we are changing history itself.

This is the reason why some scientists are talking about time travel based on the laws of this new science.

This whole concept relies on an experiment of which scientists are not yet sure if it's not a failure of measurement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Interference supports entanglement. Single particles are interfering with themselves, this means the state of one particle is not seperate from another whether it is in the past or present. Therefore the present particle state can alter the past one.

Even history itself is a perception of our current state. This idea is hard to grasp, but it is now an established fact based on numerous experiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
We can alter the past; what happens in the past is no longer an objective reality but rather a reflection of our present mental state. Sure we might have photos, artifacts, videos, etc. to remind us of the past, but the past is nothing more than just a thought, a memory, it doesn't exist other than our reflection of it.

I've seen and heard alot of people talk quantum physics and the mostly get tangled up in philosophical stuff like reality. If you want to apply quantum mechanics you have the accept that there's a descriptive reality, because first and foremost you need math. You can disregard empirism - which you obviously do, but not rationalism. Breaking that down to Matrix. Basically it doesn't matter if you live in the Matrix or outside of it. The mind is always there. Neo is Neo inside and outside the Matrix. His mind behaves the same way.

So basically men are made of materia, which itself is made of energy. That makes it possible to grasp rational concepts. Doesn't matter if our conceived reality is the truth. The mind is.

Maybe it's english not being my first language, but it seems to me that you don't know what interference means.

You say you can alter the past, because the reality is made up of photons that don't exist unless you look and since you can not look into the past the past can be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Look as we advance through intellect, older ideas will be replaced by new ones. Einstein's biggest downfall is his unwillingness to accept the Quantum World. The more we understand QP, the less relevant he will be; just like how he made Newton irrevelant before him.

Damn Einstein got the Nobelprice for proving Plancks postulates. You should study ten more years. You're quoting the duality of waves, which are a concept of Einstein and nonchalantly state that he disregarded quantum physics.

What you mix up is that the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics at some points basically can not co-exist unless you regard concepts that are generally set in stone(as time), but those are mathematical problems not reality issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Because Einstein's is better.

Einstein basically applies Newton's laws of physics(which ones do you mean anyway?), but says that they are not absolut and need tweeking depending on the inertial frame. What Einstein, Lorentz and Minkowsky disregarded are Galilean transformation between frames, which would make time absolut and by that Newton's phsyics.
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:43 AM   #105
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 20,486
bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Matrix is the greatest movie ever made.

10 years of studying Kant?
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:17 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy