Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #16
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Bandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

Quote:
Is the sport so boring that it actually needs fights to keep interest?
This
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #17
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputationMMM has a terrific reputation

hockey was the first sort i fell in love with not sure why people think its boring. Yea there are low scoring games but the game is has a good fast flowing pace. There are low scoring 1-0 or 2-1 games that were far more entertaining than higher scoring games.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #18
Real Men Wear Green
BathFrog of Doom

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
In light of tonight's brawl between the Flames & Canucks I wanted to ask the question: why is it that hockey players get away with fighting yet in basketball [and other major sports] small scuffles are treated like major offenses?
Is that hypocrisy? Most of the people replying will know more about the NHL than me, I only care about the Bruins and then only when they're going for the Cup. Just asking because I don't see hypocrisy in your statement, that's just them permitting more violence than other sports. I don't think their punishments will end fighting like the NBA has but are they saying they have a hard stance against fighting?
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #19
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDukeDelonte13 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
hockey was the first sort i fell in love with not sure why people think its boring. Yea there are low scoring games but the game is has a good fast flowing pace. There are low scoring 1-0 or 2-1 games that were far more entertaining than higher scoring games.

because people don't know it.

People don't watch the sport = people think its boring. Just like how most americans view soccer.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation

Because its extremely hard to fight on ice. Fighting on a hard surface is entirely more dangerous. In hockey, once a player falls to the ice the fight is over.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Just2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation hereJust2McFly has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy>
Because its extremely hard to fight on ice. Fighting on a hard surface is entirely more dangerous. In hockey, once a player falls to the ice the fight is over.
One would thinking having gloves, sticks and fighting on ice would be more dangerous than hardwood.
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #22
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

iggy> has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just2McFly
One would thinking having gloves, sticks and fighting on ice would be more dangerous than hardwood.
It's very hard to land significant blows while sliding on ice. Players have to hold each others Jersey's just to keep their balance.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #23
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So the reasoning behind fighting allowed in hockey is...just because it is.

Only cool part about hockey is fighting and some guy weaving thru players and scoring. But I always wondered why fighting is allowed in the sport. Its not like the guys fight and its broken up. In fact you know a fight will happen and the zebras just waits for the first person to get KO'd or dropped. Why let them fight to begin with?

I can't get into hockey, no clue about the sport so it seems like the game would watch me more than me it. My friend asked me to go to the Flyers game yesterday, had suite tickets. I declined. I have no idea what I'm watching.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #24
Derka
Go C's!

Derka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
You know, I think sports fans these days would rather see athletes take passive-aggressive shots at each other over twitter than actually fight like men.

There's a large nugget of truth to that.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #25
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation hereembersyc has an incredible reputation here

Dudes have big padded gloves and helmets on.
They are on ice skates.
There is a glass barrier between fans and players.
Fights are mostly one on one.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #26
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

BoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

There are three reasons for fighting in hockey and the first reason is for a way for players to police themselves. When a shit disturber is slashing, late hits or taking cheap shots at a star player and the ref doesn't see it or won't blow the whistle, the star player's teammate came come in and initiate a fight to keep the shithead in check.

The league is trying to stop this, because now they have a instigating rule, where if you start the fight, you get an extra two minutes in the box. Which is stupid, because now there are lot more cheap shots happening by smaller players and they refuse to fight, because they know they'll be killed, but they know that rule will protect them and their coach will be glad that they instigated the other team to get an instigating penalty.

The second reason is psychological. When your team is down by the score, and you're getting out shot, out hit, out hustle, and just plain losing; you need a spark to give your team some energy. So you start a fight and if you win it, it's a moral boost to your team. They get jacked up.

The last reason is just pure revenge from a past incident.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #27
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

hockey is the toughest most exciting sport by far. nothing more exciting then being down one goal with a minute left pulling your goalie and scoring that tying goal. or just a well set up goal. Gobb you missed a great game last night high scoring flyers games are so much fun. also about the fighting if you have guys hitting you that hard all night long frustration builds up and you handle it. like others have said it sparks your team i've seen teams down 2 goals their player wins a fight and they come back. also gobb i'm sure living in philly you've heard about the broad street bullies? the team in the 70's that beat their way to 2 stanley cups. heres a great hour long HBO documentary about them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJgMQDkyJH0 hockey players are by far the toughest out of all the 4 major sports to play such a physically demanding game for 82 games a season is ridiculous, hockey players are a different breed.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Is that hypocrisy? Most of the people replying will know more about the NHL than me, I only care about the Bruins and then only when they're going for the Cup. Just asking because I don't see hypocrisy in your statement, that's just them permitting more violence than other sports. I don't think their punishments will end fighting like the NBA has but are they saying they have a hard stance against fighting?

I'm saying that NBA/NFL players have a small skirmish and they are fined, looked down upon, and called thugs. Hockey players do it an they are called tough.

I can see why fighting isn't permitted in the NBA...the game revolves around flow.

I can see why fighting isn't allowed in the NFL....it would be pandemonium.

What I can't see is why NFL players, who push and shove each other all game, are fined and hyper surveilled when it comes to physicality...if the NFL had a fight like this it would be the opening story on every sports news show...people would be questioning their morals for wasting the fans money and all that.

Last edited by Go Getter : 01-19-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #29
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by embersyc
Dudes have big padded gloves and helmets on.
They are on ice skates.
There is a glass barrier between fans and players.
Fights are mostly one on one.

Thanks for adding some true insight without the bullshit. I may not agree but I see some of the reasoning.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #30
Derka
Go C's!

Derka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm not seeing where this is hypocrisy. Fighting is just allowed by rule in one and not allowed in the other.

Besides...aside from a few guys, basketball players are far and away the fakest bunch of tough guys going in American pro sports.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: