Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 52,844
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Watching the SNL intro it just makes me laugh when I see or hear Drake trying to be "tough". You're soft duke. Nothing wrong with it, you're successful. But enough embracing the tough act at times and stop telling us you started from the bottom...you obviously didnt.

That said his SNL acts were solid. I give him props, surprised he never tried any movie roles. Even if its not the big screen type.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 AM   #17
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 13,902
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

The chick who impersonated Beiber had me rolling. Same with the guy who imitated Eminem
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:20 AM   #18
CeilingFan#1
Serious playground baller
 
CeilingFan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 465
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
The chick who impersonated Beiber had me rolling. Same with the guy who imitated Eminem

They are both consistently great on the show.
CeilingFan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #19
ZoPunde
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 169
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
SNL iz wack now

it has been wack for while now

ZoPunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:35 AM   #20
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 24,008
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoPunde
it has been wack for while now


People have been saying the same shit about SNL since 1980. People complain about the current cast, and then usually reflect on those times fondly even though many complained at the time. People complained in the early 90s when they had Hartman, Farley, Myers, etc; then Will Ferrell, Tim Meadows, Morgan, Hammond, Gasteyer, etc, came along and people complained they weren't the early 90s cast; then Fallon, Fey, Forte, Hammond, etc and people complained about missing the late 90s cast; then Sandberg, Hader, Sadeikis, etc., joined and people complained; and now people miss them and there is a new cast. In 5 years or so, people will say the show is not the same without Killam, Moynihan, Pharoah, McKinnon, etc.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:44 AM   #21
moe94
Banned
 
moe94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,436
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Nostalgia is the GOAT drug, Myth.
moe94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 AM   #22
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 24,008
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe94
Nostalgia is the GOAT drug, Myth.

Yeah, and people tend to only remember the good skits. Every season is filled with episodes that only have 1 or 2 really good skits, but years later all they remember is those great skits.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #23
HelterSkelter
OBJECTIVE
 
HelterSkelter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 978
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
People have been saying the same shit about SNL since 1980. People complain about the current cast, and then usually reflect on those times fondly even though many complained at the time. People complained in the early 90s when they had Hartman, Farley, Myers, etc; then Will Ferrell, Tim Meadows, Morgan, Hammond, Gasteyer, etc, came along and people complained they weren't the early 90s cast; then Fallon, Fey, Forte, Hammond, etc and people complained about missing the late 90s cast; then Sandberg, Hader, Sadeikis, etc., joined and people complained; and now people miss them and there is a new cast. In 5 years or so, people will say the show is not the same without Killam, Moynihan, Pharoah, McKinnon, etc.

QFT. took the words right off my mouth.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #24
East_Stone_Ya
Gentleman Desperado
 
East_Stone_Ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: East_Side_Of_The_Rawkus
Posts: 5,228
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Aubrey performed well
East_Stone_Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #25
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 13,902
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeilingFan#1
They are both consistently great on the show.

What are their names? I might start the series up again just because of those two.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #26
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 13,902
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Yeah, and people tend to only remember the good skits. Every season is filled with episodes that only have 1 or 2 really good skits, but years later all they remember is those great skits.


I think the element that's missing from the show now is actors who can create and develop hilarious characters. the Dana Carveys, Will Ferrells, Mike Myers who've made characters popular like Church Lady, Hans and Frans, Titans Spirits, Wayne's World.....
I used to look forward to seeing these characters from week to week. Most of the material now is making fun of current events, pop culture and celebrities.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #27
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 24,008
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
What are their names? I might start the series up again just because of those two.

Taran Killum and Kate McKinnon.

The people worth watching for IMO are:
Killum
McKinnon
Bobby Moynihan
Aidy Bryant (essentially a female Bobby Moynihan)

Jay Pharoah is slowly improving. Much of the remaining cast is Ok, meaning they don't have stand out performances too often, but at least they aren't too annoying (Kyle Mooney could get really annoying though if he gets more air time).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #28
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 13,902
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Taran Killum and Kate McKinnon.

The people worth watching for IMO are:
Killum
McKinnon
Bobby Moynihan
Aidy Bryant (essentially a female Bobby Moynihan)

Jay Pharoah is slowly improving. Much of the remaining cast is Ok, meaning they don't have stand out performances too often, but at least they aren't too annoying (Kyle Mooney could get really annoying though if he gets more air time).

damn that dude is hilarious!
I've caught 2 shows with him, the last one and the Jimmy Fallon one. He did an impression of Aston Kutcher that killed it! He's so Dana Carveyesque in the ways he not only can imitate, but can overact their quirks and make it even funnier. I hope the writers can give him a signature character (does he already have one?).
he's got me back interested in the show. That Kate McKinnon impression of Beiber She's a keeper too. Sheri Oteri like
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #29
ArbitraryWater
Kobe Polanski
 
ArbitraryWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I walk a higher path, son
Posts: 22,892
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Drake is the boss
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #30
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Myth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 24,008
Default Re: Drake killin it on SNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
Pharoah is strictly SNL's Obama and nothing else at this point. The only recurring non-celebrity character he has now is Principal Frye.

I'd say strictly impersonations (mostly Obama and rappers), and yeah, his Principle Frye character is his only original recurring character I can think of. I'm not a huge fan of him, and have criticized him for being a good impressionist but subpar comedian, but he is slowly getting in some funny moments with 1-time only characters in the digital short type stuff (e.g., I laughed hard at this sex toys obsessed character in Resolution/Revolution). I'd much rather have a funny bad impression (Ferrell as Bush for example) than good impressions that are not funny.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy