Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 06-29-2006, 01:05 AM   #16
Unregistered

48.8% FG which is almost 50%. 3.9.4% 3 point which is almost 40%. I missed on the free throws only 70%. Most of the free throws go to T Mac anyways...
So it's no laughing matter, 50% FG and 40% 3 point. the guy can shoot the crap out of the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamPhiladelphiaSmith
50/40/90

Wtf?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:12 AM   #17
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

I think they'd have done better keeping Gay. I think maybe even by the end of the season he could do everything Battier can do. However, the Rockets are getting a guy proven to be a good all around talent. Open shooter, rebounder, defender.

Just depends on their superstar's health. Both guys need to be healthy and the Rockets have themselves a contender
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:21 AM   #18
MiseryCityTexas
National High School Star

MiseryCityTexas has decent reputationMiseryCityTexas has decent reputation

Rockets dont have a good power forward. not saying that strimile was good or anything, but who is gonna back up juwon howard, who aint no better???
MiseryCityTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:24 AM   #19
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiseryCityTexas
Rockets dont have a good power forward. not saying that strimile was good or anything, but who is gonna back up juwon howard, who aint no better???
There is a thing called free agency.......
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:33 AM   #20
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

fatboy, I'm surprised that you are defending this deal.

Don't get me wrong. Shane Battier is a lot of the things this team needs. He can shoot, he can defend, he can rebound, and he's tough as nails. However, he's also shown that he's pretty much a 10/5 guy in starter's minutes. I KNOW numbers aren't everything, but we're giving up a 10/5 (in 20 mpg) guy to GET a 10/5 (35 mpg) guy AND we're throwing in Rudy Gay (potential star). That's nowhere near a "good" trade. If it were JUST Swift for Battier, or Swift and the #32, then I'm happy...extremely happy. You don't give away Swift AND a guy that has arguably the best potential in the entire draft to become something really special.

Look at it this way...

I know the Rockets were injured this past season, but the season before they didn't even make it to the second round. They aren't going to make a turnaround from the Lottery to the NBA Finals in one year...the chances of that are just...tiny. So let's say it takes a couple of years for them to make a serious run at it. Yao will likely be in his prime, Tracy will likely still be at least close to 20/5/5, and from all we've seen so far, Battier will at BEST be 10/5-ish. If Rudy gay isn't better than 10/5 after 3 years then I will eat my words, but I just don't think that's likely. Don't forget, we gave up Stromile too! All for Battier's EFFICIENT 10/5/2/1/1.

How can you really say that the right decision was made? We could have at LEAST gotten Mike Miller and the #24 for Rudy and Stromile. SOMETHING like that, where we could get a legit starting SG and some depth at 24 and 32. No, instead we hurt our horrible depth even further by giving up 2 players for 1, and that guy primarily plays a position where we already have a SUPERSTAR.

I'm pissed.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:38 AM   #21
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

"Star" potential?

Why did he slip to #8 in a draft where no one really wanted anyone? Why did he slip in what GMs have deemed a very weak draft?

What has he done for all of you guys hyping him up to say he has star potential?

Answer the question I've been asking all night: What did Rudy Gay do in college that Shane Battier didn't?

Want me to list what Battier did?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:40 AM   #22
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
He doesn't always make good trades.

Marcus Banks and Kendrick Perkins for Troy Bell and Dahntay Jones?

And what has any of those players accomplished?
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:42 AM   #23
TeamKobeBryant24
Banned

TeamKobeBryant24 has no real reputation yet.

TMac - Gay - Ming would have been a sick trio. As a Lakers fan, I say...

TeamKobeBryant24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:42 AM   #24
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
And what has any of those players accomplished?
Marcus Banks and Perkins (the two that West gave up) get consistent playing time.

Where is Troy Bell?

How many splinters does Jones pull out of his ass everynight when he doesn't play?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:42 AM   #25
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Ricardo Tubbs has an OK reputation so far

Rudy Gay in his rookie year will be at least as good as Iguodala his rookie year. I don't think a whole lot of people would deny that. Iguodala averaged 9/6 with good D in 33 minutes his rookie year.

Shane Battier THIS YEAR averaged 10/5 with good D in 35 minutes his rookie year. And oh yeah, he's a full eight years older than Gay.

Just a horrible, horrible trade. They will regret this more than the Jefferson-for-Griffin trade. You can't spin this one, fatboy, it's just a bad, bad trade.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:44 AM   #26
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Tubbs
Rudy Gay in his rookie year will be at least as good as Iguodala his rookie year. I don't think a whole lot of people would deny that. Iguodala averaged 9/6 with good D in 33 minutes his rookie year.

Shane Battier THIS YEAR averaged 10/5 with good D in 35 minutes his rookie year. And oh yeah, he's a full eight years older than Gay.

Just a horrible, horrible trade. They will regret this more than the Jefferson-for-Griffin trade. You can't spin this one, fatboy, it's just a bad, bad trade.
Yes, I can. And I have.

I'm still waiting for reasons why Rudy Gay has "star" potential........

.........and what he did in college that Shane Battier didn't do.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:46 AM   #27
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Rudy has a long way to go before he becomes as good a basketball player as Shane Battier.

LMAO.

No, he doesn't.

LOL, I think you're just being a homer now.

Shane Battier never had the upside or overall display of talent that Rudy Gay has. Rudy Gay has the potential of being the best player in this draft.

You can question Gay's "assertiveness" as many analysis are critquing him of. But he does have a great overall ability on what he can do on the basketball court.

But I'm not downing the idea of the trade of acquiring a player like Battier, again Shane the ideal player Houston wants to put aside Mac and Yao, but I think they should of got a little more for a lottery pick player. Plus they gave back Memphis Stromile Swift?

Jerry West pulled a Kobe/Divac-lite with this trade.
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:49 AM   #28
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFRESH44
LMAO.

No, he doesn't.

LOL, I think you're just being a homer now.

Shane Battier never had the upside or overall display of talent that Rudy Gay has. Rudy Gay has the potential of being the best player in this draft.

You can question Gay's "assertiveness" as many analysis are critquing him of. But he does have a great overall ability on what he can do on the basketball court.

But I'm not downing the idea of the trade of acquiring a player like Battier, again Shane the ideal player Houston wants to put aside Mac and Yao, but I think they should of got a little more for a lottery pick player. Plus they gave back Memphis Stromile Swift?

Jerry West pulled a Kobe/Divac-lite with this trade.
What has he shown?

Somone tell me what Rudy Gay has shown? Vertical? He can run fast? What?

What can he give a team ready for a championship that Shane Battier can't?

Besides "All-Star potential".
Old 06-29-2006, 01:58 AM   #29
Unregistered

You have some strong points, I'd like to qoute Nietche on this occasion:

"The strength of the pack is in the wolf and the strength of the wolf is in the pack"

Another words, Shane Battier in Memphis will get you different numbers than Shane Battier in Houston. Why? Because Shane is not the type of player who creates his own shots. He's a shooter who needs to play off of a superstar like McGrady who can penetrate into the defense of the oponenet and demands double teams all the time. This will translate to more points for Battier in Houston than it did in Memphis because he can just shoot. This will make it VERY tough on opponenets. Lets not forget that on Occasion, Yao is double teamed as well...leaving Battier (mr. 50/40 shooter) wide open for more scoring. I would expect Battiers point average to jump up in Houston because he has the advantage of two superstars like McGrady and Yao who will be double teamed.
The other advantage is that EXPERIENCE wins championships. Shane's poise, experience, intelligence, chemsitry and hustle value is significant. he's the guy that takes the charge. He's the guy that gets the loose ball. He's the guy that puts on that perfect pick which will make McGrady's job much easier.
If you look at this as Shane versus Rudy, you'll get it wrong. If you look at it as Rudy in Houston versus Shane in Houston...I think Shane's value becomes more apparent.
I think Houston is a TOUGH AS NAILS POWER FORWARD (not necesarily a scorer but a BANGER) away from the championship. A point guard would be nice too, but it has been done without point guards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchCityReturns
fatboy, I'm surprised that you are defending this deal.

Don't get me wrong. Shane Battier is a lot of the things this team needs. He can shoot, he can defend, he can rebound, and he's tough as nails. However, he's also shown that he's pretty much a 10/5 guy in starter's minutes. I KNOW numbers aren't everything, but we're giving up a 10/5 (in 20 mpg) guy to GET a 10/5 (35 mpg) guy AND we're throwing in Rudy Gay (potential star). That's nowhere near a "good" trade. If it were JUST Swift for Battier, or Swift and the #32, then I'm happy...extremely happy. You don't give away Swift AND a guy that has arguably the best potential in the entire draft to become something really special.

Look at it this way...

I know the Rockets were injured this past season, but the season before they didn't even make it to the second round. They aren't going to make a turnaround from the Lottery to the NBA Finals in one year...the chances of that are just...tiny. So let's say it takes a couple of years for them to make a serious run at it. Yao will likely be in his prime, Tracy will likely still be at least close to 20/5/5, and from all we've seen so far, Battier will at BEST be 10/5-ish. If Rudy gay isn't better than 10/5 after 3 years then I will eat my words, but I just don't think that's likely. Don't forget, we gave up Stromile too! All for Battier's EFFICIENT 10/5/2/1/1.

How can you really say that the right decision was made? We could have at LEAST gotten Mike Miller and the #24 for Rudy and Stromile. SOMETHING like that, where we could get a legit starting SG and some depth at 24 and 32. No, instead we hurt our horrible depth even further by giving up 2 players for 1, and that guy primarily plays a position where we already have a SUPERSTAR.

I'm pissed.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:03 AM   #30
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Yes, I can. And I have.

I'm still waiting for reasons why Rudy Gay has "star" potential........

.........and what he did in college that Shane Battier didn't do.

If accomplishing things in college was the only way to judge whether someone had star potential, J.J. Redick would be billed as a perennial All-Star, but he isn't.

Rudy Gay has star potential because he's got freakish athleticism and length, with a soft shooting touch to boot. He scored 15 a game but only took 12 shots per on a talent-filled team. He has all the tools to be a defensive stopper as well. Remember he was only a sophomore. If he stuck around a couple more years and progressed at an average rate, he would have likely put up a line somewhere near 22 ppg, 8 rpg, 3 apg, 2 spg, 2.5 bpg on 46%FG and 40% 3's. That has star potential written all over it. He's only 19. Battier wasn't nearly as good at the same age.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: