Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-27-2014, 08:51 PM   #16
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Who Will Be The 1st Pick in the 2014 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Browns are picking at 4.

I still really like Bortles a lot. I'm hoping he's our pick, depending on the combine, workouts and interviews, of course. He has the highest ceiling of any QB in this class, imo.
I like him as well, but he is raw. The Browns could pick him and start Hoyer next year and let Bortles develop a bit. I still think they take Manziel, and do something stupid and trade up to #1 to get him.

I still like Manziel the best out of this crop, I know I'm in the minority on that - but he just screams star to me.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #17
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
I'd hardly consider Williams a "generational" prospect. I don't remember Williams having any hype coming into the year he was drafted and it wasn't until him playing great that season and being a total freak in the combine for the hype to kick in. But before that season I don't think he was being considered for the first two rounds..

Also just checked Clowney had 3 sacks this year I get the fact that he commands alot of attention and missed some games but at this point he seems more hype that substance.

And lol at the "generational" prospects. Again they're pretty much hit and miss. Don't forget guys like Glenn Dorsey(although had a good yr), Courtney Brown, Vernon Gholston, Aaron Curry(maybe not so much him), etc, etc, were guys who were considered "Generational" or "Can't miss"...

Theirs a difference between can't miss and generational. To me at least.

Gholston wouldn't have lasted until the 6th pick or wherever he ended up going if the consensus was he was a generational talent. Dorsey wasn't either, he wasn't even the first defensive player picked in his draft. Not sure why you mentioned Curry.

Clowney is on a different level than those players. Courtney Brown....I didn't pay attention to college football back than. I can't comment on the hype surrounding him at that point.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #18
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
I like him as well, but he is raw. The Browns could pick him and start Hoyer next year and let Bortles develop a bit. I still think they take Manziel, and do something stupid and trade up to #1 to get him.

I still like Manziel the best out of this crop, I know I'm in the minority on that - but he just screams star to me.
ISH needs to prepare for an RBA meltdown if that happens. I'm warning y'all now. I would estimate at least 5,000 words on how bad the franchise is.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #19
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Theirs a difference between can't miss and generational. To me at least.

Gholston wouldn't have lasted until the 6th pick or wherever he ended up going if the consensus was he was a generational talent. Dorsey wasn't either, he wasn't even the first defensive player picked in his draft. Not sure why you mentioned Curry.

Clowney is on a different level than those players. Courtney Brown....I didn't pay attention to college football back than. I can't comment on the hype surrounding him at that point.

And there's a good chance Clowney may not be the first player and possibly first defensive player taken either so.....

BTW, Glenn Dorsey had massive hype for a defensive tackle. Everyone was hyping him out to be the next great interior defensive linemen who'd be the cornerstone of a NFL defense for years. People kinda imagined him to be what JJ Watt and Geno Atkins were today(nowhere near as athletic as Watt though). And alot of people had him projecting #1 overall for the whole year but of course players slip due to team preferences, combines, injuries, etc.

As for Gholston I think Clowney's situation is very similar to him although Clowney has much less of a "bust" factor. Both are freak athletes, had a season of domination and had ESPN licking their jock sweat. If Gholston would have stayed another season he'd have Clowney type of hype imo.

As for Curry I just used him because people considered him to be the best player in his draft class which was considered "weak" and a "safe" pick. Draft actually produced some solid players although Jason Smith and Tyson Jackson were selected ahead of him.

I'm not questioning Clowney's ability because I'm sure he's a freak and going to be a great NFL player but people go overboard on these potential GOAT players. TBH, if the draft order stays the same he might not even go top 4...
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #20
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
ISH needs to prepare for an RBA meltdown if that happens. I'm warning y'all now. I would estimate at least 5,000 words on how bad the franchise is.

rest assured I believe you.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #21
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts

I really like Manziel. Although people think he's a genuine asshole I think he's got the mentality to be a very good player in the league. He has that A-rod type of attitude where the spotlight isn't too big for him nor is any opponent to tough for him.

He's also improved as passer alot and is actually very good in the pocket. Not sure if Cleveland has a functional offensive staff that can take advantage of his mobility though.

Seems to be a few good QB's but none great. Bridgewater, Manziel, Carr, Bortles, etc.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 PM   #22
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Manziel would be the best thing to happen to the Browns since Jim Brown...which is precisely why they probably won't get him
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #23
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Irondarts didn't just predict the Browns take Manziel, guys, but that they move up to #1 to get him, which would cost quite a bit.

Yes, if that happens...

<----- meltdown
Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #24
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

QUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this board

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Case Keenum is going to be the next elite QB by any means. But he took over when Arian Foster was out with injury, Ben Tate was playing with four broken ribs I believe. Why not take Clowney #1 overall, pair him with JJ Watt and just watch them dominate.

DeAndre Hopkins has another year in him, Andre Johnson doesn't age, and Bill O'Brien (TE mastermind) will have Garrett Graham erupting as a top ten TE next year and hopefully, Daniels returns to form. Give Keenum another shot.

Last edited by QUIZZLE : 01-27-2014 at 11:11 PM.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #25
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Irondarts didn't just predict the Browns take Manziel, guys, but that they move up to #1 to get him, which would cost quite a bit.

Yes, if that happens...

<----- meltdown

I'm a bridgewater guy for the Browns but I'll be shocked if there is a scenario where they could land him. If they trade up for Manziel i won't be as angry because at least it would be an entertaining storyline. Bortles is solid but he doesn't really excite me.

I think if Bridgewater isn't available Browns should take Watkins at 4 and take a QB to play behind hoyer in the later rounds.

I think Watkins is the real deal, and throwing him out there with Josh Gordon is really going to make things easier for Hoyer.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #26
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

Manziel to me screams a guy that can dominate in college, where his athleticism is a real factor, but lacks the ability to throw well enough to be good in the pros. Also since the overall athleticism in the Pros greatly exceeds division one college football, his athleticism will be much less impressive.

Eg. a Vince Young
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #27
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
I'm a bridgewater guy for the Browns but I'll be shocked if there is a scenario where they could land him. If they trade up for Manziel i won't be as angry because at least it would be an entertaining storyline. Bortles is solid but he doesn't really excite me.

I think if Bridgewater isn't available Browns should take Watkins at 4 and take a QB to play behind hoyer in the later rounds.

I think Watkins is the real deal, and throwing him out there with Josh Gordon is really going to make things easier for Hoyer.

The latter just makes a world of sense to me. Now who you draft at QB with the next pick? Unsure how you rate them. But Watkins/Gordon/Jordan is a scary trio. And going a season with Hoyer and a rookie behind him I dont find to be a bad thing.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:22 PM   #28
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

I love Sammy Watkins as a prospect, DD13. I'd be fired up if we took him at 4 and I don't really care who else is on the board. Truth be told, I'm not wild about any of the QBs at the top of this draft, but Manziel scares me the most. I think he is either going to be really good or really bad and I'm leaning hard toward the latter.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #29
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~

ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Fellas, I just really don't see how Manziel is a worthy number 1 overall pick. I feel like if you have your pick of any eligible player at are sitting at the top, you have to go with a high caliber player where not too many questions are present at draft time. you simply cannot get a dud with the top spot. I don't think Johnny will be a 'dud' but I really don't see his game translating to being a top QB in the league. Taking someone #1 overall, a guy who will instantly become a face of the franchise at the QB position, is risky territory. The frenzy for him to come in and be a winner Week 1 will be intense, esp for a dude who is well known to the casual sports fan.

With Manziel, the uncanny playmaking abilities are certainly there but there are just too many question marks in relation to his build, decision making and so forth. Number 1 guys should have very little you can question or criticize moving into the NFL and this just doesn't seem to be the case with Manziel.

God help him if a team would trade up to #1 and take Manziel. The pressure to start right away would just be intense and it would be an erroneous move imo. I think Manziel is a guy that would be better served going in with a franchise that doesn't have to lean on him heavily right when he gets there. Him trying to do too much too early could be damaging. A lot of his tricks in college won't go over the same in the League where LBs are more athletic across the board.

He plays with a little bit too much impulse and for him, learning the NFL game with some patience will be beneficial as he can apply his abilities after studying the differences that complex defense can show him.

Overall, I just don't see it a good move for a team to take him over any other player on the board. HOU needs a top QB, yes, but they have enough good players to play tough and bide some time until O'Brien finds his surefire guy. For a team to trade up to 1 and take JM would be a major risk. To trade up at that cost for a guy with legit concerns is recipe for disaster. It's not too often you get your pick of the litter

Last edited by ROCSteady : 02-06-2014 at 12:44 PM.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #30
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I heard a rant on the radio yesterday about how Russell Wilson winning the SB could have actually decided Manziel going #1 overall

they both had the same question marks going into the draft...height, injury, etc
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: