Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #46
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 11,805
tpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this board
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Anyone with a brain can see Richie means no harm in his words and is clearly just kinda dumb, immature.. thats just how he acts.. to everyone. Nothing racistor even intetionally hurtful about their back and forths to anyone who read the texts.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #47
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?
 
ALBballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,692
ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
your point is not valid at all

If all Incognito did was use the term "fggt" in a text would his actions be an issue?

No they wouldn't and you know that

Well looking at other precedents in Sports (ie Roy Hibbert and Kobe come to mind), the use of the word "fggt" would garner media attention. If any athlete would have used the word "fggt" in the media you can sure as hell bet there would be repercussions even though, for example, in the context you used it does not really exhibit any hateful intent.

This story became a headline because of the n-word being used and to a lesser degree coupled with another heated issue in the states, bullying. Once more evidence came to light and from what has been shown so far Incognito isn't quite the KKK member he was being portrayed as nor does it appear he is Deebo from Friday.

I think this is a problem in society in general, people are so quick to generalize and outcast people without taking things into context and examining all facts. Granted Incognito is on the extreme spectrum and he deserves the outlash (although suspension and a media scandal is way overboard.)

Last edited by ALBballer : 02-10-2014 at 04:37 PM.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #48
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,492
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Well looking at other precedents in Sports (ie Roy Hibbert and Kobe come to mind), the use of the word "fggt" would garner media attention. If any athlete would have used the word "fggt" in the media you can sure as hell bet there would be repercussions even though, for example, in the context you used it does not really exhibit any hateful intent.

This story became a headline because of the n-word being used and to a lesser degree coupled with another heated issue in the states, bullying. Once more evidence came to light and from what has been shown so far Incognito isn't quite the KKK member he was being portrayed as nor does it appear he is Deebo from Friday.

I think this is a problem in society in general, people are so quick to generalize and outcast people without taking things into context and examining all facts. Granted Incognito is on the extreme spectrum and he deserves the outlash (although suspension and a media scandal is way overboard.)


I am no fan of kobe bryant, and even I had to :face palm at the media attention given to him over that incident.. He handled it well tho.. Hibbert just did a dumb thing by using a slang term during a press conference.. Wrong audience Roy.

Incognito has a host of issues revolving around him going back some years.Some of those issues are pretty serious.. I think that is why he didn't get the benefit of doubt. Add that to being able to read his words. His words had no value other than to be offensive. I still don't feel sorry for him or think he was punished unjustly. Maybe he learns a valuable lesson from all of this scrutiny..

If Im a public figure, do I use a term like "fggt"? HELL NO.. Not even in a text to a friend.. There are plenty of other words to use.. I rarely use the term as it is, and I should probably use it less..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #49
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 9,916
NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
I just caught the "fggt" part. Was that really necessary? It seems you are just as insensitive to using derogatory terms as Incognito.

It's kinda funny. Nobody gives a shit about something until it affects them. I say fggt and don't care at all when somebody uses it because it has zero affect on me. However gay people? They probably would mind. Kinda like the N word, I'm sure Richie isn't actually racist but being insensitive and using a word that doesn't affect him. Not that it's an excuse just that he's apart of the ignorance most people take part in one way or another.

Rasheed cares about one and not the other. Probably because he's black and not gay. Just like if the roles were reversed between Incognito/Martin certain people would care less while some might care more.

After reading some of those txts Martin just appears sensitive and trying to fit in. I don't really see anything all that bad. Leads you believe that's just there relationship and Martin obviously didn't like it but wouldn't speak up. Even up until the end where he said he didn't say anything.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #50
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,492
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

It is an overgeneralization to say that "Nobody gives a shit about something until it affects them."

I give do give a sh*t about gay issues.. Im not as sensitive to gay issues as gay people are, but I do give a sh*t
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #51
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.
 
NuggetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NuggetNation.
Posts: 9,916
NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
It is an overgeneralization to say that "Nobody gives a shit about something until it affects them."

I give do give a sh*t about gay issues.. Im not as sensitive to gay issues as gay people are, but I do give a sh*t

I think it rings pretty true. Obviously not completely literal but people obviously care more when it affects them and hold personal bias. Basketball msg board none of us care if we use fgt or use homo as a slur. Not saying your the only one guilty of it or don't care about gay issues. Pretty sure we've all used some kinda insensitive slur aimed at a group of people. Richie is alot of things I'm sure, unfair to pick apart txts or call him racist because he drops the N bomb. I'm sure Icognito is probably an insensitive tool to all colors and genders.

Just thought it was kinda funny. Giving Icognito shit and than turning around and calling somebody a ****** However Richie drops ngga and you probably care about sensitivity than because it affects you more and you hold personal bias.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #52
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,492
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
I think it rings pretty true. Obviously not completely literal but people obviously care more when it affects them and hold personal bias. Basketball msg board none of us care if we use fgt or use homo as a slur. Not saying your the only one guilty of it or don't care about gay issues. Pretty sure we've all used some kinda insensitive slur aimed at a group of people. Richie is alot of things I'm sure, unfair to pick apart txts or call him racist because he drops the N bomb. I'm sure Icognito is probably an insensitive tool to all colors and genders.

Just thought it was kinda funny. Giving Icognito shit and than turning around and calling somebody a ****** However Richie drops ngga and you probably care about sensitivity than because it affects you more and you hold personal bias.


I actually called Incognito a "fggt" …. and Richie did a little more than just drop the N word.. The worst (racial) thing he said was "I'll kill you and get away with it because I'm white"

Thats offensive just for the sake of being offensive..

Also Im "Giving Icognito shit" for his character as a whole.. Like I said before, some of his issues are serious ones.. He is generally an ass hole.

It goes a lot deeper than him using "the N word"…

Riley Cooper used the N word, and he didn't get a lot of sh*t from me over it.

There is a certain context to these actions and comments that matters, they aren't all the same.. You need to understand that.

That said, if a gay person hears me say "fggt" and tells me its offensive, I wouldn't use the term purely out of respect for the person. As a matter of fact if you read my post before yours, I basically admit it is a poor choice of words and I probably shouldn't be using it

I think your take on it is overly simplistic

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 02-10-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #53
ROCSteady
~NO FATE~
 
ROCSteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,658
ROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterROCSteady is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

I don't get the feeling Incognito is racist. More like he just recycles a of cultural tendencies and overused generalizations. To call the guy a flat out racist over out of context phone msgs is wrong and short sighted.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #54
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,492
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
I don't get the feeling Incognito is racist. More like he just recycles a of cultural tendencies and overused generalizations. To call the guy a flat out racist over out of context phone msgs is wrong and short sighted.


yeah.. If he has to say something racist to get a rise out of people? he'll do that, if he has to say something sexist or homophobic to offend people, he'll do that too.. As long as it is offensive, he'll say it.. he also has done some sexual harassment that had to be swept under the rug.. and this is only talking about his time with the Dolphins


Its more accurate to simply call him a f*ckin ass hole
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #55
KingBeasley08
World's Finest
 
KingBeasley08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 6,436
KingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKingBeasley08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Can't defend Martin anymore. He's a lil baby b*tch that won't ever play again
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #56
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 51,187
GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Aaaaaaaand now there is another report saying Martin wasn't lying a out the abuse. Incognito Pouncey Jones harassed not only Martin but another teammate and trainers.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/1...nito-ted-wells
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #57
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs
 
Is He Ill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,837
Is He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Quote:
Incognito told us that he and other offensive linemen routinely speculated,
albeit in jest, about which of their teammates would “break first” in response to taunting,
and notations in the fine book substantiate this. One lineman, Nate Garner, was subjected
to so much derision that a joke developed that Garner, who owned several guns, might
“break” by coming to the Dolphins facility and shooting everyone. On September 30,
2013, for example, Incognito wrote a text message to a former teammate in which he
stated: “Nate is on the verge of killing us all.” When asked to elaborate, Incognito
explained: “Since we cut [another player] we have been non stop on nate. Even turner is
in on it. He looks like he’s about to cry 24/7.”

Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #58
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,492
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Wow, Im hardly surprised…

I saw this coming a mile away

Harassing another player is one thing, but a trainer? pathetic
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #59
MavsSuperFan
NBA lottery pick
 
MavsSuperFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,902
MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Nate garner



I guess incognito is an asshole. I still dont think he is a racist, in that he treated martin badly because he was black.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #60
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 51,187
GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

You guess? He has a rep going back to college. No guessing he is a certified scumbag. Also offtopic the Pouncey brothers are coming across as goons.


This is probably the weirdest story in sports I've come across in some time. What next will be revealed?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy