Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 02-15-2014, 12:55 AM   #76
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star

Default Re: Incognito/Martin.

Martin is obviously more sensitive than the average man, but I despise people like Incognito.

Calling Martin a n***er to his face?
Making sexual jokes towards your sister?
CONSTANTLY being called a p.ussy?

It is one thing for men to be crude with one another, that is how us guys socialize, we occasionally rip on each other but it is all in fun. Even though we rip on each other most of us know there is a limit, the way Incognito was behaving was completely disrespectful.

Maybe Incognito did not know how he was truly effecting Martin mentally, but he just learned a very important life lesson, check yourself before you wreck yourself.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:59 AM   #77
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
Martin is obviously more sensitive than the average man, but I despise people like Incognito.

Calling Martin a n***er to his face?
Making sexual jokes towards your sister?
CONSTANTLY being called a p.ussy?

It is one thing for men to be crude with one another, that is how us guys socialize, we occasionally rip on each other but it is all in fun. Even though we rip on each other most of us know there is a limit, the way Incognito was behaving was completely disrespectful.

Maybe Incognito did not know how he was truly effecting Martin mentally, but he just learned a very important life lesson, check yourself before you wreck yourself.

In a legal sense, Martin is the least of their worries. The actions toward the assistant trainer and a former lineman are far more egregious, especially considering that some of the coaching staff such as the OL coach, had clear involvement. They are on more precarious legal footing with those situations. The most damning parts of the report had nothing to do with Martin.

Quote:
Incognito, Jerry and Pouncey admitted that they directed racially derogatory words toward him, including "Jap" and "Chinaman." At times, according to Martin, they referred to the Assistant Trainer as a "dirty communist" or a "North Korean," made demands such as "give me some water you ****ing *****," spoke to him in a phony, mocking Asian accent, including asking for "rubby rubby sucky sucky," and called his mother a "rub and tug masseuse." Martin and others informed us that Incognito and Jerry taunted the Assistant Trainer with jokes about having sex with his girlfriend. Incognito admitted that these types of comments were made to the Assistant Trainer. On December 7, 2012 (the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor), Incognito, Jerry and Pouncey donned traditional Japanese headbands that featured a rising sun emblem and jokingly threatened to harm the Assistant Trainer physically in retaliation for the Pearl Harbor attack. Martin reported that the Assistant Trainer confided to him that he was upset about the Pearl Harbor prank, finding it derogatory and demeaning.

Quote:
This isn't some rogue incident of a lunatic lineman going after another player in a joking manner. It's not a case of a grown man being unable to stand up for himself.

This is a cultural problem and it's a cultural problem that's indicative of a lack of leadership up and down the totem pole in Miami. Whatever semblance of leadership that was supposed to exist in Miami didn't and as a result the entire culture went to pot. Zero control, either from those participating or those enforcing.

No doubt there are lots of good guys on the Dolphins roster. But it looks like the one with the most power was the one in charge of the hazing.

The inmates were literally running the asylum. And the only people who could stop them either gave them the conch to begin with or didn't care enough to take it away.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...-top-to-bottom

Last edited by PejaNowitzki : 02-15-2014 at 01:01 AM.
PejaNowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:01 AM   #78
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
This is the kind of shit that we end up looking back on after someone goes on a shooting spree and wonder what could have been done to stop it. Incognito even joked about Garner coming back and shooting the place up. They knew they were pushing the guy beyond his breaking point and absurdly continued to do it. That's the result when the leader of your locker room is a ****ing sociopath

This is a great point and something that crossed my mind when I read those comments.. Incognito was stupid enough to actually think it was funny that he had likely pushed someone to the breaking point where they would come to the facility and shoot the place up..

If that had happened? you can bet Incognito and Pouncy and the other jack asses would acted like they had no idea why it happened ..

Think about the trainer. How f*cking immature do you have to be to take joy in harassing some Japanese guy? he is a trainer there to help you, and you call him vile names and treat him like sh*t?? Why??

These guys were way out there on some real dumb bullsh*t and it is only right that the whole thing crashed on their heads soo publically..

its only right
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:10 AM   #79
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
This is a great point and something that crossed my mind when I read those comments.. Incognito was stupid enough to actually think it was funny that he had likely pushed someone to the breaking point where they would come to the facility and shoot the place up..

If that had happened? you can bet Incognito and Pouncy and the other jack asses would acted like they had no idea why it happened ..

Think about the trainer. How f*cking immature do you have to be to take joy in harassing some Japanese guy? he is a trainer there to help you, and you call him vile names and treat him like sh*t?? Why??

These guys were way out there on some real dumb bullsh*t and it is only right that the whole thing crashed on their heads soo publically..

its only right

I've played sports all my life, I've been in the Marines, I'm not a stranger to locker room ethics and having thick skin to deal with whatever is sent your way but there's no way anyone can try to justify this as "business as usual." People get ridiculed all the times in locker rooms, the stuff about moms and sisters, its pretty standard fare, but the one thing that really separates this whole situation from what I've experienced in the past is that when a guy has had enough, when you recognize you are pushing him too far, you cut the s## out and stop.

What went on in that locker room can't be rationalized or explained away. It was an absolute lack of leadership and common sense. It went from well beyond good-natured pranks and ribbing to something sinister and basically hateful. Once you go down that road, you create a poisoned atmosphere, a sort of Lord of The Flies scenario where people are isolated and victimized over and over again. It was toxic for the team as a whole and it was reflected in their performances out on the field.

I also see that Incognito clearly still doesn't get it, he went on Twitter proclaiming his innocence, even after the report makes it clear that he's lied about a lot of stuff, he went on that interview with Jay Glazer, looked him dead in the eye and lied to his face, convincingly even. He's a sociopath with no remorse, just a piece of shit that would be in prison if he wasn't playing football.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #80
zoom17
Relax

Martin is a bitch that is all.
zoom17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:20 AM   #81
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom17

Yet he'll be playing in the NFL next season while Incognito is trying to remove Goodell's foot out of his ass.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:26 AM   #82
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

wow.. I have to take back my comments on the texts.. this is truly fvcked up shit.

So unfair that this guy gets to say/do whatever he wants to anybody just cuz hes bigger than everybody. Its impossible to punish a guy like this..
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #83
Heavincent
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom17

Sounds like he just has a legit anxiety disorder.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #84
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
Yet he'll be playing in the NFL next season while Incognito is trying to remove Goodell's foot out of his ass.

This is another interesting aspect of the whole fiasco.. I kind of fault Martin for trying so hard to please the people who were harassing him... But I think about how I would have reacted and it would have probably ended much worse. I see myself going to war with all 3 of these guys and someone getting seriously hurt, maybe killed. I wouldn't be able to tolerate the things they were doing and saying. I also don't see me contemplating suicide and leaving the team.. I see me bringing a duffle bag full of bricks to work and beating incognito to death in front of everyone...

Then I would be the problem...

I guess Martin handled the best way he knew how.. I still think he could have done better, but I don't know if I could have handled it as well as he did..

its f*cked up
Old 02-15-2014, 01:32 AM   #85
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
wow.. I have to take back my comments on the texts.. this is truly fvcked up shit.

So unfair that this guy gets to say/do whatever he wants to anybody just cuz hes bigger than everybody. Its impossible to punish a guy like this..

Goodell can send a strong message by banning Incognito for a minimum of 2 seasons, if not for life completely. He got kicked off his team at Nebraska, ending up not making on to the team at Oregon due to some issues there as well, got kicked off the Rams and now got kicked off the Dolphins, as Shannon Sharpe says, its time for this guy to find a new line of work.

Quote:
""If what is in the report is true — and I think this guy has done a thorough investigation — I think the commissioner needs to and will send the strongest of messages to let everyone know that this will not be tolerated," Sharpe said. "Because what we've seen from the commissioner with Bountygate and the New Orleans Saints is he sends a message: 'This won't happen again.'

"The one thing I know about this commissioner: He's firm, but he's fair. He will send the strongest of messages that this is unacceptable behavior."

Sharpe went a step further when he added that Incognito should be banned from the game altogether.

"It's time for Richie Incognito to find another line of work," Sharpe said. "For Richie Incognito, we've seen what and who he is. He's been kicked off two teams. ... This will be the third team he'll have to leave under bad circumstances. How many chances does a guy get?"
Old 02-15-2014, 01:35 AM   #86
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

Quote:
This is another interesting aspect of the whole fiasco.. I kind of fault Martin for trying so hard to please the people who were harassing him... But I think about how I would have reacted and it would have probably ended much worse. I see myself going to war with all 3 of these guys and someone getting seriously hurt, maybe killed. I wouldn't be able to tolerate the things they were doing and saying. I also don't see me contemplating suicide and leaving the team.. I see me bringing a duffle bag full of bricks to work and beating incognito to death in front of everyone...

Then I would be the problem...

I guess Martin handled the best way he knew how.. I still think he could have done better, but I don't know if I could have handled it as well as he did..

its f*cked up

I don't know what Martin's options were, but the issues in that locker room go well beyond Incognito who I think will be a convenient scapegoat. In the absence of true leadership, the result is what we've seen happen in Miami. There's no way in hell a guy like Incognito goes to the Patriots or the Seahawks and pulls the same line of bullshit in those locker rooms, he'd have gotten smacked down and booted in short order.

It is easy to dump Incognito, but to change the culture there in Miami, to build that locker room back up is going to take a lot more time and effort.

Quote:
"I think change will be a point of emphasis for each team in the NFL. It will be something that will be talked about quite a bit — and as a result, I don't think you'll see anything take place like this again," said former NFL lineman Ross Tucker of Sirius NFL Radio and the Ross Tucker Football Podcast.

"If you took some things that took place in locker rooms I've seen, some people would be horrified. I played for five teams. But the stuff that happened in Miami is pretty far beyond anything I had ever experienced.

"There are things that are accepted there that wouldn't be accepted in other places. ... But this goes way above and beyond."

Last edited by PejaNowitzki : 02-15-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:39 AM   #87
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PejaNowitzki
I don't know what Martin's options were, but the issues in that locker room go well beyond Incognito who I think will be a convenient scapegoat. In the absence of true leadership, the result is what we've seen happen in Miami. There's no way in hell a guy like Incognito goes to the Patriots or the Seahawks and pulls the same line of bullshit in those locker rooms, he'd have gotten smacked down and booted in short order.

It is easy to dump Incognito, but to change the culture there in Miami, to build that locker room back up is going to take a lot more time and effort.

This is true.. The real problem is the lack of mature leadership in among the players

The biggest is how oblivious the head coach was ... How could all this crazy sh*t be going on and the coach know NOTHING about it?
Old 02-15-2014, 01:45 AM   #88
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

Quote:
This is true.. The real problem is the lack of mature leadership in among the players

The biggest is how oblivious the head coach was ... How could all this crazy sh*t be going on and the coach know NOTHING about it?

Philbin seems like a nice guy but he has no business being a head coach. The report mostly exonerates him, stating that he didn't know about what was going on, but in reality, it is his locker room, I think it makes it even worse if he really didn't know about what was going on, not with so many questionable incidents that were brought up. If that is truly the case, then he's simply incompetent as a head coach and another guy who is better suited to be a coordinator and not the guy running things.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:46 AM   #89
Heavincent
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

I don't think it means he's a bad coach, it just means he's focused on other shit and doesn't have time to play principle. What is he supposed to do, walk around the locker room eavesdropping?
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:49 AM   #90
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
I don't think it means he's a bad coach, it just means he's focused on other shit and doesn't have time to play principle. What is he supposed to do, walk around the locker room eavesdropping?

It's his job to know what is going on in the locker room and keeping the pulse of the team. Not to mention that members of his own coaching staff are implicated in this matter. Can you imagine Bill Belichick walking around oblivious to the FEMA-level disaster that is his own locker room?

By all accounts, Philbin shouldn't have a job at this point either.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: