Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 02-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #46
TonyMontana
Local High School Star

TonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputationTonyMontana has a bad reputation
Default Re: Missouri DE Michael Sam comes out prior to draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
I've seen him as high as a 3rd round pick but more likely a 5th rounder. The biggest knock against him at the moment is that he's undersized.

I'm not sure if you saw the series of tweets Donte Stallworth made about teams handling the media scrutiny but he pretty much blows up the entire argument and his basic premise is that any team that can't handle the media outpouring from drafting Michael Sam (a story that they'll be able to get ahead of but also be able to control to a certain extent) is a team that has bigger problems than the media attention Michael Sam will receive. Here it is anyway:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4761724.html

there are a few things the media LOVES to talk about non stop. Murder especially among african americans is not one of those things. its more or less swept under the rug. Thats why the Patriots thing wasn't overblown. It wasn't that they "handled it better", the Dolphins tried to handle the Incognito-martin thing as best they could, but it was unavoidable.

Ray Lewis's murder rarely gets mentioned. Instead he is seen as a legend when the name is brought up. But when it's a guy like Riley Cooper who said the N word while drunk at a country concert it needs to be mentioned anything the dude is brought up.

Homosexuals, homosexual rights, racism....this is the kind of shit they get off on and talk about non stop to divide people.
TonyMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #47
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

a lot of talk about this on the radio today...

some NFL TE (they wouldn't say) said that Sam is going to have a much harder time in the NFL than he did in college, he said it is because there is "brother-type bonding" that forms in college football, and that isn't present in the NFL, he said it is much more of a business atmosphere in the NFL where people just come to work, and there are are clicks of friends but the entire team doesn't bond the way that college teams do...

he also noted that over 50% of the NFL is under 27 years old, and that the "Richie Incognito" personality type is everywhere

they also said that because Sam is the first openly gay player he will be pretty much untouchable in terms of harassment goes...the second that news comes out of him being called a "f@g" or anything like that happens whoever did it will be eatin up alive by pro-gay groups...most players will probably fear this and just stay away from him
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 PM   #48
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's not going to be an issue at all. You know why? Because problems are tiring, get tired, get boring, and no one wants to deal with them. Everything strange becomes dull. Shit will blow over so quickly into a nothing story unless someone decides to be the moron who must fight it which is ridiculous, because this is a workplace, and you can't discriminate, doesn't matter what you think.

I think he gets drafted, we hear nothing, and that's it. Unless he's super good in which case he's gonna get endorsments up the ass (bad taste pun intended).
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM   #49
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
It's not going to be an issue at all. You know why? Because problems are tiring, get tired, get boring, and no one wants to deal with them. Everything strange becomes dull. Shit will blow over so quickly into a nothing story unless someone decides to be the moron who must fight it which is ridiculous, because this is a workplace, and you can't discriminate, doesn't matter what you think.

I think he gets drafted, we hear nothing, and that's it. Unless he's super good in which case he's gonna get endorsments up the ass (bad taste pun intended).
IMO this story will grow bigger or smaller all based around how he plays on the field

this guy comes out playing at an All Pro HOF level then we will never hear the end of his gayness

this guy turns out to be a bench warmer then I can see it fading away...an occasional TV special here and there that's it
Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 PM   #50
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
IMO this story will grow bigger or smaller all based around how he plays on the field

this guy comes out playing at an All Pro HOF level then we will never hear the end of his gayness

this guy turns out to be a bench warmer then I can see it fading away...an occasional TV special here and there that's it
The story is not his gayness. The story is people think it's going to be a problem. I don't think it is. It can't be, i get the NFL has the sanctity of the locker room but that only exists to the point it doesn't put them in positions they can't defend. Coming off the bullying, they can't have homophobic stories.

I don't think the locker rooms are so much homophobic as much as they are conditioned to use homophobic language. "That was gay, you're such a ***, etc." They just need to find a way to replace that for the most part. I don;t think they mean it as literally you are a homo, they mean you are weak.

I could so not give a **** if people on the Giants are gay or not if they play well. My Knicks, if you gave me a flaming gay PG who dropped 20/10 a night I'd be a huge fan.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #51
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
The story is not his gayness. The story is people think it's going to be a problem. I don't think it is. It can't be, i get the NFL has the sanctity of the locker room but that only exists to the point it doesn't put them in positions they can't defend. Coming off the bullying, they can't have homophobic stories.

I don't think the locker rooms are so much homophobic as much as they are conditioned to use homophobic language. "That was gay, you're such a ***, etc." They just need to find a way to replace that for the most part. I don;t think they mean it as literally you are a homo, they mean you are weak.

I could so not give a **** if people on the Giants are gay or not if they play well. My Knicks, if you gave me a flaming gay PG who dropped 20/10 a night I'd be a huge fan.
I think he is going to get the silent treatment from lots of players...they will just keep their distance, scared to be seen with him because of what others will think

that kind of treatment though is really difficult to report...it will only be known to him and the team

and then there will probably be a 2-3 players that aren't scared to get close to him or speak out positively about him...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #52
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
I think he is going to get the silent treatment from lots of players...they will just keep their distance, scared to be seen with him because of what others will think

that kind of treatment though is really difficult to report...it will only be known to him and the team

and then there will probably be a 2-3 players that aren't scared to get close to him or speak out positively about him...
There will be more than 2-3 players. You're nuts if you think that. Did you see the anonymous survey ESPN did? 86% said it's fine. You think most players won't speak to him because he's gay?

Where do you come from that you'd think that? These are 20 year olds. As long as the captains don't ostracize him, he'll be fine. And the difference between pros and college is pros you aren't expected to hang out with eveyrone all the time. In college you are. So the fact that he might not go clubbing with other guys is no big deal, in college it is.

You don't give people enough credit to adjust. People will adjust. Plus I'm sure there are gay people in locker rooms on the down low that the teammates now and just don't give a ****. A room with 100 men in it has a gay person somewhere.

Personallly i doubt his talent more than his ability to fit in, he's a 1 dimensional undersized end.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #53
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
On Monday, though, 86 percent of the 51 NFL players ESPN interviewed said a player's sexual orientation would not matter to them. Similarly, just over three-quarters of those interviewed said they would shower around a gay player. Those are both overwhelming majorities, as several journalists pointed out, and a sharp rebuke of the anonymous executives who suggested players would not accept a gay teammate.

Sam is definitely gonna get the silent treatment. Kinda like Riley Cooper when he used the n word.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #54
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

I meant there will be 2-3 that speak out openly to the media about him in a positive way...

20 year olds are "kids" though niko...again, the TE said "the Richie Incognito personality is everywhere"

Pacman Jones...isn't the only "Pacman Jones"

and I bet Cooper DID get the silent treatment from many black players...you think they were out getting ice cream together after games?
Old 02-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #55
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

I think it would be an ongoing issue if he was a Qb or a Rb or some position that gets the spotlight weekly..

as a De or linebacker, he wont get weekly scrutiny unless he is in the gay club weekly with his shirt off (I doubt he will be)

I agree with Niko and Gobb.. It wont be an ongoing issue where the locker keeps causing a problem for him

I think his presence will show other teams that they can function with a gay dude I their midst if they simply grow up and focus on winning games
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #56
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
and I bet Cooper DID get the silent treatment from many black players...you think they were out getting ice cream together after games?

Everyone on teams doesn't hang out with each other. So your point is so irrelevant I'm literally laughing. And now I want ice cream and have none. Riley Cooper had a career year and his career continued. Does that mean people forgot what he said? Probably not. Life went on. He produced, the team won and butt slaps, jumps into each other, high fives, laughs went on. Now Riley is a free agent and he will get a contract and be thrown in another lockeroom (perhaps Eagles again). Time to get all silent again huh prime.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #57
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Everyone on teams doesn't hang out with each other. So your point is so irrelevant I'm literally laughing. And now I want ice cream and have none. Riley Cooper had a career year and his career continued. Does that mean people forgot what he said? Probably not. Life went on. He produced, the team won and butt slaps, jumps into each other, high fives, laughs went on. Now Riley is a free agent and he will get a contract and be thrown in another lockeroom (perhaps Eagles again). Time to get all silent again huh prime.

Nah he'll be accepted as long as he keeps producing... Like Madden said..

"Winning is a great deodorant"
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #58
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This shouldn't be an issue and the media hyping up this story is only going to make the situation more uncomfortable for the kid. He came out, ok now let's move forward.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #59
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
neither me nor you know what the locker room was like for Riley, but I am sure saying what he said didn't earn him any friendships...his situation isn't even really comparable to Sam's

Sam's situation is more comparable to Jackie Robinson
Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #60
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Teams will welcome scumbags into the locker room, provided they can play. Sam is far from that, and I feel like soon enough, this will be a non issue, and he will stick around/fall out of the league based on the body of his work. This seems more media driven than anything. Most players in the NFL have probably knowingly played with a gay teammate at some point in their life
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: