Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 02-19-2014, 01:13 AM   #61
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Missouri DE Michael Sam comes out prior to draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
neither me nor you know what the locker room was like for Riley, but I am sure saying what he said didn't earn him any friendships...his situation isn't even really comparable to Sam's

Sam's situation is more comparable to Jackie Robinson

No, just no. Not even close. To even use Sam in the same sentence as Jackie is retarded. But considering the source (you), not shocking.

And yes neither you nor me know what the locker room was like. But you sure certainly know what it will be like for Sam based on...

Cut it out.

Quote:
Teams will welcome scumbags into the locker room, provided they can play. Sam is far from that, and I feel like soon enough, this will be a non issue, and he will stick around/fall out of the league based on the body of his work. This seems more media driven than anything. Most players in the NFL have probably knowingly played with a gay teammate at some point in their life

Bingo.

But but but scumbags are different than homos tho! This is like Jackie Robinson!

Quote:
Nah he'll be accepted as long as he keeps producing... Like Madden said..

"Winning is a great deodorant"

too bad primetime cant grasp such a concept.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #62
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Did anyone else see Texas Sportscaster Dale Hansen's amazing response to Michael Sam coming out?

Video

Last edited by irondarts : 02-19-2014 at 11:50 AM.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #63
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
No, just no. Not even close. To even use Sam in the same sentence as Jackie is retarded. But considering the source (you), not shocking.
you haven't heard that comparison yet? smh

CBS SPORTS: Michael Sam similar to Rosa Parks, Jackie Robinson

NBC Sports: ROBINSON, SAM BLAZING TRAILS SEVEN DECADES APART

Michael Sam, Jackie Robinson, and Why the Bigots Always Lose

Michael Sam Becomes Jackie Robinson of 21st Century By Coming Out

Michael Sam is a Jackie Robinson moment for NFL

Daily Beast: Michael Sam Is ĎThe NFLís Gay Jackie Robinsoní

a thousand more where those came from...

look, not sure why you guys (really just you and niko) are trying to belittle this situation, but this most certainly is a "big deal" to many people

and like I said earlier, IMO this situation will get bigger or smaller based around how well Sam plays...if he is a bench warmer his whole career I can see it fading into nothingness...but if he is an All Pro type? you can bet your ass you'll hear about how he is gay over and over and over and over and over...
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #64
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The comparison to Jackie Robinson is retarded and disrespectful. Period.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #65
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
you haven't heard that comparison yet? smh

CBS SPORTS: Michael Sam similar to Rosa Parks, Jackie Robinson

NBC Sports: ROBINSON, SAM BLAZING TRAILS SEVEN DECADES APART

Michael Sam, Jackie Robinson, and Why the Bigots Always Lose

Michael Sam Becomes Jackie Robinson of 21st Century By Coming Out

Michael Sam is a Jackie Robinson moment for NFL

Daily Beast: Michael Sam Is ‘The NFL’s Gay Jackie Robinson’

a thousand more where those came from...

look, not sure why you guys (really just you and niko) are trying to belittle this situation, but this most certainly is a "big deal" to many people

and like I said earlier, IMO this situation will get bigger or smaller based around how well Sam plays...if he is a bench warmer his whole career I can see it fading into nothingness...but if he is an All Pro type? you can bet your ass you'll hear about how he is gay over and over and over and over and over...
I'm not belittling the situation, I'm belittling anyone who in 2014 thinks this is that big a deal. And don't show me media stories, media thinks Miley Cyrus in a new thong is a big story, that doesn't make it important.

Jackie Robinson came in after actual rules/laws keeping blacks from doing things were being broken down. His life was in actual danger. Physical danger. People wanted to hurt him. There was a real question if this would work.

Sam is coming into a situation where homophobic teammates might not invite him out to dinner. And if there are real problems, those people causing it are ****ed. I mean really absolutely ****ed.

Do you see parallels? There are, but it's a enormous stretch.

The people on this board who seem to have such an issue with this, do you also grab your bags when a black person walks by? Make sure no mexicans move into your building? Make sure your accounting is asian cause those people are sure good with numbers?

It's just silly. (note:my rant wasn't aimed at you, except for the first few lines refuting the thought this is an important life moment because the media think so.)

Last edited by niko : 02-19-2014 at 04:18 PM.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #66
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

niko, when Robinson was entering MLB do you not think there were those saying "this shouldn't be a big deal!" about it?

perhaps Jackie's battle was more meaningful and more intense (and it was), but they are similar events in that it is the first person of a certain group that is looking for acceptance in professional sports...

you can deny it all you want to niko, but there ARE players in the NFL that discriminate against gays...this has been shown numerous times

*IF* Sam were to be as good at football as Jackie was at baseball (unlikely), then you can bet your fckin ass that he will be viewed as "gay icon", or a "hero" to the gay community...
Old 02-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #67
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
niko, when Robinson was entering MLB do you not think there were those saying "this shouldn't be a big deal!" about it?

perhaps Jackie's battle was more meaningful and more intense (and it was), but they are similar events in that it is the first person of a certain group that is looking for acceptance in professional sports...

you can deny it all you want to niko, but there ARE players in the NFL that discriminate against gays...this has been shown numerous times

*IF* Sam were to be as good at football as Jackie was at baseball (unlikely), then you can bet your fckin ass that he will be viewed as "gay icon", or a "hero" to the gay community...

Who gives a ****? Do you care about who is a gay icon? Jackie Robinson became an icon, not a black icon, not a baseball icon, an icon. Sam is not going to be an historical icon. He's going to be a footnote.

You're comparing real physical danger with discomfort. There are parallels, but lots of things have parallels. When i used to walk home from school as a child I was in real danger of possibly getting shot. So it was just like what soldiers went through in WW1. I see parallels...

Sam is protected by law, he's going to be protected by the league, whoever drafts him is going to tell it's team the first day DO NOT **** AROUND OR YOU ARE GONE. It's not quite what Jackie Robinson went through, unless you are obtuse or just ignorant about Jackie Robinson.

Gay barriers like this are broken every day, this is about equivalent to the gay dude comign out on American Idol. Does it help the next person? Yes. Is it a huge triumph? Only if you have very low standards. Laughably so...

Sam is no hero. He's a very pragmatic guy who realized he was going to be outed, and said why don't I benefit from it rather than be a victim of it. It took a little bit of balls to knowing some people would react like you seem to. But it's not historically moving except for people who seem to think being gay is this rare thing outside the norm.

the news talks about this 24/7 but they've also talked bout mount rushmore's of various things for a week. The media is stupid.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #68
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

I don't think anyone in the media or anywhere else is worried about Sam getting beat up or "harmed" niko...

Quote:
Gay barriers like this are broken every day, this is about equivalent to the gay dude comign out on American Idol. Does it help the next person? Yes. Is it a huge triumph? Only if you have very low standards. Laughably so...

^^^ I am thinking not a single gay person on the planet agrees with ANY of this...so this is equal to a gay on American Idol? A show that is pretty much just gay by nature lol
Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #69
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Who gives a ****? Do you care about who is a gay icon? Jackie Robinson became an icon, not a black icon, not a baseball icon, an icon. Sam is not going to be an historical icon. He's going to be a footnote.

You're comparing real physical danger with discomfort. There are parallels, but lots of things have parallels. When i used to walk home from school as a child I was in real danger of possibly getting shot. So it was just like what soldiers went through in WW1. I see parallels...

Sam is protected by law, he's going to be protected by the league, whoever drafts him is going to tell it's team the first day DO NOT **** AROUND OR YOU ARE GONE. It's not quite what Jackie Robinson went through, unless you are obtuse or just ignorant about Jackie Robinson.

Sam is no hero. He's a very pragmatic guy who realized he was going to be outed, and said why don't I benefit from it rather than be a victim of it. It took a little bit of balls to knowing some people would react like you seem to. But it's not historically moving except for people who seem to think being gay is this rare thing outside the norm.

the news talks about this 24/7 but they've also talked bout mount rushmore's of various things for a week. The media is stupid.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #70
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
I don't think anyone in the media or anywhere else is worried about Sam getting beat up or "harmed" niko...

^^^ I am thinking not a single gay person on the planet agrees with ANY of this...so this is equal to a gay on American Idol? A show that is pretty much just gay by nature lol

Which is exactly my point. You're equating it with a much more important thing. This is not Jackie Robinson, I'm sorry but that's just silly, and if you can't see why that's silly it might behoove you to stop pretending you do and making the comparison.

Gay people in america know that there are gay football players, and it's probably more "About time" than a watershed moment. That football players are homophobic and need to be reminded that you can't discriminate in a workplace is more sad than historic.

Last edited by niko : 02-20-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #71
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

yeah, this is about NFL players changing their behavior in the locker room.. The gay slurs and the crude language is a front to offset the man to man camaraderie in the lockeroom..

all the showering together and the ass slapping and all the love for their teammates makes some guys feel the need to spit homophobic rhetoric to let everyone know they aren't gay..

relax boys and grow up.. everything will be fine.. Nobody thinks you are gay... and if you are? that's you own personal business
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #72
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Which is exactly my point. You're equating it with a much more important thing. This is not Jackie Robinson, I'm sorry but that's just silly, and if you can't see why that's silly it might behoove you to stop pretending you do and making the comparison.

Gay people in america know that there are gay football players, and it's probably more "About time" than a watershed moment. That football players are homophobic and need to be reminded that you can't discriminate in a workplace is more sad than historic.
everyone is making that comparison niko...

just because it is on a smaller scale than Jackie's doesn't mean the situation isn't similar and the comparison can't be made...

would you tell Sam to his face that what he is doing is "meh, no biggie, who cares" ?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #73
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Agree with niko

Quote:
yeah, this is about NFL players changing their behavior in the locker room.. The gay slurs and the crude language is a front to offset the man to man camaraderie in the lockeroom..

all the showering together and the ass slapping and all the love for their teammates makes some guys feel the need to spit homophobic rhetoric to let everyone know they aren't gay..

relax boys and grow up.. everything will be fine.. Nobody thinks you are gay... and if you are? that's you own personal business

Exactly.

It's just a shame Sam is going to get the silent treatment when he enters a lockeroom.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #74
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
everyone is making that comparison niko...

just because it is on a smaller scale than Jackie's doesn't mean the situation isn't similar and the comparison can't be made...

would you tell Sam to his face that what he is doing is "meh, no biggie, who cares" ?
Absolutely. Although not quite what you said, more like "good for you". I think i said it before, i think he did this to control the story himself and reap benefits (sponsors, etc.) from it rather than listen to whispers.

BTW, so if the media says something dumb, you repeat it ad nauseum because "everyone is saying it?"
Old 02-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #75
niko
I Run NY.

BTW Rex Ryan's take on it was the following if he thinka this player helps them and he brings them in, my players better treat him like anyone else. If not he's embarrassed more than anything else. He says with 53 guys that you have guys that under normal circumstances would hate each other and be mortal enemies and they get over that. So he doesn't see a gay person being a huge issue.

I can't see a team having issues with this really (aside from minor ones) unless your locker room is dysfunctional, like Miami where you jsut let shit run wild.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: