Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #31
tpols
we already won
 
tpols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 18,927
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
Why America is so free?

First off we have the Bill of Rights that is documented in our Constitution. As human beings we have rights that no country or government should exercise against. These are rights that we are born with. These Bill of Rights allows us to stand up against tyranny.

We have the right to choose who our public officials are and have the ability to get one kicked off. Although, the system is really kind of screwed today but the premise and the idea of it is great.

Going back to the Bill of Rights, it also allows us freedom of speech. We are not suppressed of our thoughts or ideas. We are not held back when we are allowed to speak up. This is the best freedom in the world.

Finally, we are a capitalistic society. Yes, it may suck that the rich gets richer but any immigrant from any country in the world can prosper in our country without government intervention unless you are monopolizing, then the government interferes.

We da Bess.

Fixed.
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #32
Trollsmasher
The Fam
 
Trollsmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Europe
Posts: 8,668
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarabbus
Thanks for the contribution, Stalin.
Enjoy your freedom which is not freedom anyway and watch the society collaps under itself while you are at it
Trollsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #33
9erempiree
Banned
 
9erempiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California of America
Posts: 20,427
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

I am a real American. That is why people probably think I am a troll because I speak my mind and strongly believe in what I say. You guys just find it overwhelming, which I never took seriously.

That is why I don't take into offense if Euros or others don't understand my facts.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #34
outbreak
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 13,401
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
I am a real American. That is why people probably think I am a troll because I speak my mind and strongly believe in what I say. You guys just find it overwhelming, which I never took seriously.

That is why I don't take into offense if Euros or others don't understand my facts.

You are a true american, you claim your arguments are supported by facts but you just list a bunch of random things you've vaguely read somewhere else and don't understand what you are actually talking about. But by god will you argue your point as far as you possibly can!
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #35
pinhead
Dunking on everybody in the park
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: England
Posts: 626
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
You are a true american, you claim your arguments are supported by facts but you just list a bunch of random things you've vaguely read somewhere else and don't understand what you are actually talking about. But by god will you argue your point as far as you possibly can!

Being jelly will not make you more free. Just bitter.
pinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #36
9erempiree
Banned
 
9erempiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California of America
Posts: 20,427
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbreak
You are a true american, you claim your arguments are supported by facts but you just list a bunch of random things you've vaguely read somewhere else and don't understand what you are actually talking about. But by god will you argue your point as far as you possibly can!

How is it not supported by facts? All I talked about was the Bill of Rights that all Americans have. That is fact.

...because of this Bill of Rights, it allows us to be more free beyond just being able to drink, drive, smoke or doing anything that doesn't break the law.

We are allowed freedoms far more greater than what the law prohibits. Heck, some countries persecute those that speak their minds. Speaking up and having these rights are very powerful.

I am sure most people will trade their lives for the Bill of Rights.

On top of that, we are allowed to open businesses and do what is necessary to make a living. Heck, most 2nd generation people I know are rich here. America gave them the opportunity.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #37
0000000
I rule the local playground
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 509
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

Because freedom is the central of all all American values and ideas and they worked hard at it, obviously they got a lot of things right. They were never perfect, never will be but will always strive to get better and more free, no matter the challenges and obstacles in front.

And the difference between USA and Canada or Western Europe is that USA is a whole lot more individualistic. Whereas it's counterparts were always more community oriented. It is somewhat limiting. Not a whole lot but...it's another bit that makes USA more free although nowadays it may seem completely negligble.

In a sense, I get where OP is coming from even though he is from London and being from there he can't be too envious but I do get him, USA does have all countries in the world beat.
0000000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #38
CeilingFan#1
Serious playground baller
 
CeilingFan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 456
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZF5wpntXsk
CeilingFan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #39
Nick Young
Banned
 
Nick Young's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 11/4 Soros wants US Spring.
Posts: 32,970
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

If you have to ask, you'll never know.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #40
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star
 
oarabbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 10,331
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

Relevant Bill Hicks video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mssKE_b48k
oarabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #41
Raymone
The Chosen King
 
Raymone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,818
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

  • democracy
  • no slavery
  • limited federal power and maintaining states' power
  • irrevocable voting rights for all genders and races
  • free market capitalism
  • relatively minimal government regulations
  • freedom to own guns
  • freedom to practice any religion
  • free speech
  • freedom of the press
  • freedom to peacefully assemble and protest
  • prohibited search & seizure without warrants
  • rights to due process in a court of law
  • jury of peers
Raymone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #42
9erempiree
Banned
 
9erempiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California of America
Posts: 20,427
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

One big thing that people must realize is that, although this is 2014 and due to globalization, most countries do have that freedom like that of USA. England isn't suppressed like other countries but because of America most countries are following suit.

Which brings me to the point of the OP. It seems like his country and other countries are just as free as America, well that is because America have shown by example and other countries are following suit.

If this question was asked 50 years ago, then I would have a huge list why we are much more free than any other country. It is harder now because most countries are just as free as ours because they have followed our path.

We still are more free than others today due to the Bill of Rights.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:02 PM   #43
mr.big35
Banned
 
mr.big35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs
mr.big35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #44
0000000
I rule the local playground
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 509
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
One big thing that people must realize is that, although this is 2014 and due to globalization, most countries do have that freedom like that of USA. England isn't suppressed like other countries but because of America most countries are following suit.

Which brings me to the point of the OP. It seems like his country and other countries are just as free as America, well that is because America have shown by example and other countries are following suit.

If this question was asked 50 years ago, then I would have a huge list why we are much more free than any other country. It is harder now because most countries are just as free as ours because they have followed our path.

We still are more free than others today due to the Bill of Rights.


Agreed. It's why I always say as well. Although nowaydas some of those countries may be even freer and it's time for USA to follow some of their example, like with health care for example.
But I do understand stuff like that are a very touchy subject in the USA and they concern the very identity of the nation.
Quality of life nowadays on average is likely better in Canada and other Western European nations. It's just how it is. But many other factors are involved as well.
0000000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #45
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star
 
oarabbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 10,331
Default Re: What makes Americans so free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
One big thing that people must realize is that, although this is 2014 and due to globalization, most countries do have that freedom like that of USA. England isn't suppressed like other countries but because of America most countries are following suit.

Which brings me to the point of the OP. It seems like his country and other countries are just as free as America, well that is because America have shown by example and other countries are following suit.

If this question was asked 50 years ago, then I would have a huge list why we are much more free than any other country. It is harder now because most countries are just as free as ours because they have followed our path.

We still are more free than others today due to the Bill of Rights.


Good post.
oarabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy