Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 05-13-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
Doctor K
Avengers Assemble!

Default Jadeveon Clowney vs. JJ Watt

Whose peak will be better? How close will it be?

Will bump this thread in a few years...
Doctor K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 AM   #2
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Default Re: Jadeveon Clowney vs. JJ Watt

I like football players first and foremost, athleticism doesn't always mean that player is instinctual and have another sense for football to read the play fast.

I think Clowney will show out and give us some WOW moments and do his thing but I like J.J. Watt's game overall and his intelligence mixed with how he can do everything possible for his defense and having the typical 'white boy' high motor.

Clowney will no doubt get his licks in and make an impact but we shall see if he can also set the edge, bat passes, catch tipped balls and be clutch. Watt has and will continue to do these things, his career will be Hall of Fame imo. I think Clowney can be great but I'm a bigger fan of the football players who are athletic than the athletes who play football.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #3
RoundMoundOfReb
Objective Poster

JJ Watt is so much better than any other defensive player in the league it's laughable (I say this as a Seahawk fan btw). Unlikely Clowney is ever that good.
RoundMoundOfReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

I don't think Clowney will ever be as good as Watt. I think Clowney will be more on Mario Williams level, which is still great, but not Watt great.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
RoundMoundOfReb
Objective Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
I don't think Clowney will ever be as good as Watt. I think Clowney will be more on Mario Williams level, which is still great, but not Watt great.
I think Julius Peppers is a better comparison for Clowney.
RoundMoundOfReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

I think Jevon Kearse.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #7
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

Watt's 2012 season was the best season ever by any player regardless of position.....He's easily the best defensive player in the league and it's not even close. He's arguably the best pass rusher AND run stopper in the league. Even if Jadeveon lives up to his potential(which I hope he does as I'm a Texans fan) I highly doubt he'll ever have a season like Watt had. Watt's coming off back to back DOMINANT seasons and I don't think he's going to slow down anytime soon. We're seeing a potential GOAT in Watt atm. Praying he stays in Houston for the rest of his career.
TheNaturalWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Rocketswin2013
9(4)5

JJ Watt could be the GOAT D-lineman if not GOAT defensive player one day.

KWASFIGEANWSINHWI46J5OW6FDI OMFG I can't believe he's a Texan...Can't imagine how Bulls fans felt about having MJ on their team in the 90's....Or Heat fans in 2011.....Having the possible GOAT at something is a ridiculously good feeling..

Man give him a 7 year extension immediately Smith....

Clowney being a as good as Mario Williams would make me satisfied....Just without the constant nagging injuries...
Rocketswin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
JJ Watt could be the GOAT D-lineman if not GOAT defensive player one day.

KWASFIGEANWSINHWI46J5OW6FDI OMFG I can't believe he's a Texan...Can't imagine how Bulls fans felt about having MJ on their team in the 90's....Or Heat fans in 2011.....Having the possible GOAT at something is a ridiculously good feeling..

Man give him a 7 year extension immediately Smith....

Clowney being a as good as Mario Williams would make me satisfied....Just without the constant nagging injuries...

Yup. I honestly wouldn't mind if he gets top QB money or if he becomes the highest paid player in the league. Taking positional value out of the equation he is easily top 3 in the league.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaturalWR
Yup. I honestly wouldn't mind if he gets top QB money or if he becomes the highest paid player in the league. Taking positional value out of the equation he is easily top 3 in the league.

You can't take positional value out of the equation. If you do you're evaluating in a world of fiction.

Watt had one of the all-time great years last year. If a QB had a similar year, they wouldn't be picking 1st overall in the draft. Just the way it is.

I think people would go nuts if he got paid 25 million a year considering the highest paid defensive player is at 16 million. To be honest he's not worth it. Nobody is except for the real elite QB's.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Watt's 2012 season was the best season ever by any player regardless of position.....He's easily the best defensive player in the league and it's not even close. He's arguably the best pass rusher AND run stopper in the league. Even if Jadeveon lives up to his potential(which I hope he does as I'm a Texans fan) I highly doubt he'll ever have a season like Watt had. Watt's coming off back to back DOMINANT seasons and I don't think he's going to slow down anytime soon. We're seeing a potential GOAT in Watt atm. Praying he stays in Houston for the rest of his career.

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #12
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic

20.5 sacks, 23 stuffs, 16 PDs, 4 FF, and you could probably add a shitload of pressures and QB hits along with it. Nothing wrong with what I said.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
20.5 sacks, 23 stuffs, 16 PDs, 4 FF, and you could probably add a shitload of pressures and QB hits along with it. Nothing wrong with what I said.

The way you said it was as if it were fact. He had one of the best seasons of all time no question but there were dominant defensive players who didn't have the luxury of stats. Reggie White sacked a QB 21 times in a short season (12).
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:34 AM   #14
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:

And you think that's the greatest season of all time regardless of position?

That's better than Marino's 5k and 48 tds, 2 records that stood for over 20 years, and at a time when 3k yards was elite? That's better than OJ Simpson's 2k yards in 14 games? Didn't Deacon Jones have like 26 unofficial sacks one year? I am sure he had some stuffs, PDs, and forced fumbles as well.

Manning's 5.4k yards and 55 touchdowns is more impressive than what Watt did.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: