Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 05-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #301
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 2014 NFL Draft Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Don't like it. You don't watch Browns games and say "boy, do they need a tackle."

Not even close. Schwartz has shown to be a good player.

You could form the best young duo of WR's. Or take arguably the best prospect in the draft (Mack or Clowney)

The bust factor for Robinson is much higher than the rest of those guys, IMO.
That's not what Farmer and Co. believe, from what is being reported. They think he's the next Walter Jones... surest thing in the draft.

I love Watkins and Mack (Clowney won't be there), but JT is starting to get up there in age and who knows how many years he has left playing elite or even really good at one of the most important spots in the NFL?

Meanwhile, Schwartz really struggled at times last year (the right side of the line was a disaster) and a lot of people think he's better suited as a guard.

If the organization believes Robinson has the tools to be a HOF tackle -- which reports say they do -- I have no issue with the pick. At this point, I'm pretty firmly in the "anybody but Johnny" camp.

I'd be more concerned about passing on Watkins, assuming he's there, if this weren't one of the most stacked drafts in recent memory when it came to WR and we didn't have 7 picks in the first four rounds.... And if we didn't already have arguably the best young WR in the league.

I get the intrigue of pairing two dynamic receivers together, but taking a WR that high generally isn't something a team does who has someone as good as Gordon already has on the roster. I guess the same could be said of JT/Robinson.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 05-07-2014 at 01:16 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #302
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

He has the tools, he's a rare guy with his size and athletic ability and power.

But he has a long ways to go. That's probably an understatement actually. He doesn't even kick slide when he pass protects most of the time. I bet he's a coaches dream - they see the absolute rare talent that he has and they obviously believe in their coaching ability to mold him. But those are the prospects personally that scare me the most when you're talking the 4th pick in the draft.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #303
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Joe Thomas is 29 and coming off an All Pro year, you don't draft a tackle #4 overall to play RT IMO

Watkins makes the most sense to me

I really like Garoppolo after Manziel... If the Browns could snag him later on I think that would be solid
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 AM   #304
Smook A.
D.E.U.T.H.O.A.C

Smook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSmook A. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Is Clowney a lock at #1?
Smook A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:45 AM   #305
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbine
He has the tools, he's a rare guy with his size and athletic ability and power.

But he has a long ways to go. That's probably an understatement actually. He doesn't even kick slide when he pass protects most of the time. I bet he's a coaches dream - they see the absolute rare talent that he has and they obviously believe in their coaching ability to mold him. But those are the prospects personally that scare me the most when you're talking the 4th pick in the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Joe Thomas is 29 and coming off an All Pro year, you don't draft a tackle #4 overall to play RT IMO

Watkins makes the most sense to me

The right tackle position likely will be addressed in the first seven picks for the Browns (meaning the first four rounds), as will probably right guard (unless Schwartz is moved there). It's not like Robinson would be taken only because they think he has the potential to be really good. It's a need.

And, the intrigue surrounding pairing Gordon/Watkins/Cameron could also be applied to an offensive line that features Thomas/Robinson/Mack. If Robinson lives up to his potential or is as good as the Browns seem to think he is, you could stick me in there as a guard and they'd probably hold most defenses at bay.

It's not as sexy as having three beastly receiving options, but could arguably be just as important. I think it's the "rarity" factor. They may be looking at Watkins and even Mack (whom I love, btw) and saying, yes, these guys are really nice talents who will add to our football team immediately, but are they "rare" talents.... potential HOF talents?

And, I think that's where the intrigue comes in with Robinson. Ten years from now, we're going to look back on this draft and clearly see who were the good guys who had productive careers, the really good ones who had a big impact in the league... and the great, HOF players. Those guys don't even exist at all in a lot of drafts.

When that time comes, no one will care that a 29-year-old Joe Thomas was already in place. And, yes, I believe when all is said and done, JT will be a HOFer himself. If the Browns truly believe they've spotted his eventual replacement and that rare HOF-caliber prospect, they should take him.

And, I agree with you Carbine. I'm not as certain. He has the natural ability to be as good as he wants. Will he ever get there? Apparently, I'm less sure than the Browns, if the reports are true.

But, I tend to defer to the professionals... even if they were to crush me by taking Manziel, I will have to trust that they know something I obviously don't.

Maybe they feel the gap between Robinson and the rest is much larger than Watkins/Mack and their peers at the respective positions in this draft?

The pick would intrigue me almost as much as pairing Watkins with Gordon/Cameron or, a couple of years ago, when there were rumors flying that the Browns wanted to get Patrick Peterson to put across from Joe Haden.

Thomas/Mack/Robinson would have the potential to be devastating up-front. And, if Robinson is off the board, Matthews would not surprise me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
I really like Garoppolo after Manziel... If the Browns could snag him later on I think that would be solid

Completely agree. One of the reasons I'm so opposed to spending our 4th pick on a QB is because I don't think there's much of a gap, if one at all, between the perceived top tier (Bortles/Manziel/Bridgewater) and the second tier (Garoppolo/Carr/Mettenberger). Actually, it sounds like Carr has been moved up into that first group in most mocks. I've seen him going in the Top 10 for some.

If we went one of Watkins/Mack/Clowney/Robinson/Matthews first and then picked up Garoppolo or Mettenberger later on, I'd be thrilled.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 05-07-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #306
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

FWIW, in Peter King's latest mock, he has the Browns trading down to 6 where they take Mike Evans (WR-A&M). Then, at 26, he has them snagging Bortles, who he is projecting to slide.

I endorse this strategy.

He also has Khalil Mack going 1st overall, which wouldn't completely shock me. I'm a big Mack guy... I watched him completely decimate Ohio State before he was on a lot of people's radar. His insane combine only reinforced what I saw on the football field.

Here's the mock:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/06/nfl-mo...ouston-texans/

The Browns would get another 3rd round pick (giving them three 3rds) for moving from 4th to 6th. And, this does make some sense, because if they truly do want one of Robinson, Watkins or Mack -- as has been reported -- and all of them are gone, they will likely look to trade down... and, if Clowney is still on the board, as he predicts, they will have plenty of suitors.

Meanwhile, King's colleague Greg Bedard has the Browns taking Jake Matthews at 4 (he has Robinson at 2). I'm telling you guys... tackle is a real option, even if it isn't Robinson.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/06/nfl-mo...ams-should-do/

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 05-07-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:19 AM   #307
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

blacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation here

every team has its share of rumors but mike florio is reporting that bucs are making a serious push to trade up to #2. with king's report earlier this week saying that bucs are basically in love with manziel...this is starting to scare me

really hope it's a smokescreen. and if it's not, i'm also a big mack fan. i'd accept mack, clowney or watkins at that position. i can't even support JF at #7 most likely. i'd rather take mike evans if he's there. but hey, if we do take him at #7, that's easier to accept than giving up multiple premium picks to get him at #2. not only do i not see a surefire elite QB in this class, giving up picks for one can set a franchise back years if it doesn't pan out. i'm so hoping that doesn't happen...i don't think it's in lovie's nature but who knows?
blacknapalm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 AM   #308
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
every team has its share of rumors but mike florio is reporting that bucs are making a serious push to trade up to #2. with king's report earlier this week saying that bucs are basically in love with manziel...this is starting to scare me

really hope it's a smokescreen. and if it's not, i'm also a big mack fan. i'd accept mack, clowney or watkins at that position. i can't even support JF at #7 most likely. i'd rather take mike evans if he's there. but hey, if we do take him at #7, that's easier to accept than giving up multiple premium picks to get him at #2. not only do i not see a surefire elite QB in this class, giving up picks for one can set a franchise back years if it doesn't pan out. i'm so hoping that doesn't happen...i don't think it's in lovie's nature but who knows?
Yikes... I sort of feel bad as I sit here and hope the rumor is true.

That would mean some combination of Robinson, Mack, Clowney and Watkins would be there at 4.... Basically my dream scenario.

I like Tampa's position in the draft, currently. It would make zero sense to move up. They're going to get real quality at 7, but I wouldn't be taking a QB there. Why wouldn't one of the really good left tackle prospects be in play there? Isn't that a huge need for the Bucs?

Whoever is left out of Robinson, Matthews and Lewan would make as much sense to me as QB or WR.

If it's me and assuming Watkins and Robinson are off the board (more than likely will be the case), my board would probably be (1) Matthews; (2) Evans; (3) Lewan.

One of those three at 7 and I'd be doing cartwheels if I were you.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:28 AM   #309
blacknapalm
spider 3 y banana

blacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation hereblacknapalm has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Yikes... I sort of feel bad as I sit here and hope the rumor is true.

That would mean some combination of Robinson, Mack, Clowney and Watkins would be there at 4.... Basically my dream scenario.

I like Tampa's position in the draft, currently. It would make zero sense to move up. They're going to get real quality at 7, but I wouldn't be taking a QB there. Why wouldn't one of the really good left tackle prospects be in play there? Isn't that a huge need for the Bucs?

Whoever is left out of Robinson, Matthews and Lewan would make as much sense to me as QB or WR.

If it's me and assuming Watkins and Robinson are off the board (more than likely will be the case), my board would probably be (1) Matthews; (2) Evans; (3) Lewan.

One of those three at 7 and I'd be doing cartwheels if I were you.

it's a need for sure and i wouldn't mind any of those guys. i may even put lewan ahead of evans.

i just think we can get quality yet not elite OL talent in the 2nd round. tampa's current brass has no faith in glennon. mccown is 35 years old and a stop gap at best. we need a QB. unfortunately, we're so desperate i can see us reaching for one. i'd rather be crap for another season and wait for a better QB class. let's figure out WR/OL.

WR may have become a bigger need ahead of OL since we lost a legit #2 WR in mike williams. pair up v jax w/ evans? i can roll with that.

i like any of your scenarios as well and they are likely the best players available on the board. if they move up to draft JF, i'm gonna blow a gasket. frankly, no QB is worth that risk this year.

interestingly enough, king's mock you posted has the bucs taking JF at #7. i never really saw eye to eye on him in regards to the bucs and i don't know his mock history but here's hoping he's wrong.

Last edited by blacknapalm : 05-07-2014 at 03:44 AM.
blacknapalm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #310
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

If the Browns take Robison or Mack they are still a 4/5 win team unless they get some decent play out of Hoyer/Young/Thigpen, which is a huge question mark going into this season.

they need to roll the dice. That's what it's going to take to get the Browns out of the gutter. They need to swing for the fences and connect.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #311
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smook A.
Is Clowney a lock at #1?

With the Bills trading up for the first overall(and getting ass raped in the process) you expect them to go with Clowney.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:41 AM   #312
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Rumor browns interested in Kirk cousins
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #313
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster~primetime~ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
"With respect to Sam, he's our starter. As you guys know, that was the reason I took this job was for our owner and because of Sam, our quarterback. We have all the confidence in the world that he'll be back. But, we also have the responsibility to continue to upgrade this roster as it would suggest. If the right guy is there to help in a back-up role to Sam, then we'll make sure we've done our due diligence."

As Fisher pointed out, the Rams will have a shot at all but one player in the draft. And if the team fields calls about potential trades, Bradford is not on the market.

"We are not shopping Sam," Fisher said emphatically.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...stifles-rumors

^^^ Fisher

I still think there is a very good chance Manziel goes #2 overall via trade though...Bucs make no sense to me though, Glennon was great as a rookie imo, I can even remember him in ROY talks, teams shouldn't be so quick to throw QBs away like that, the vast majority of QBs need 2-3 years of growth.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #314
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Another year with the fragile QB. Solid
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #315
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Another year with the fragile QB. Solid
Eagles? yeah I feel ya

Foles might make it 12 games though, that could be enough for 3-4 wins
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: