Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #16
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Blue Jays Season 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
Don't worry guys, sometime in June we'll trade one or both of stroman and Sanchez for the Shark a couple months before the whole front office gets shitcanned. Much better than paying $2 mill more on a one-year for Santana.

Santana wasn't coming here on a 1-yr deal once Atlanta entered the fold.

As for everyone speculating AA's job on the line, I hope he doesn't get canned. I still suspect there will be a fire sale midway through the season, but it can be a fairly quick rebuild (I trust AA with that). AA took a gamble, and the players didn't come through; it was just a calculated risk that didn't work out.
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
Santana wasn't coming here on a 1-yr deal once Atlanta entered the fold.

As for everyone speculating AA's job on the line, I hope he doesn't get canned. I still suspect there will be a fire sale midway through the season, but it can be a fairly quick rebuild (I trust AA with that). AA took a gamble, and the players didn't come through; it was just a calculated risk that didn't work out.

Atlanta entered the fold Monday. A bold bid for Santana Friday/Saturday should have been made. It's what winning organizations do.

As far as AA is concerned I'm indifferent to him staying or going with Rogers as ownership. At the very least he misread how much they'd support the moves he made last year should they fail and that's on him. He's also inexorably tied to Beeston and his ridiculous policies on contract term and incentives so if I've gotta let AA go to see Beeston gone I'm more than willing to make that move.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #18
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Atlanta entered the fold Monday. A bold bid for Santana Friday/Saturday should have been made. It's what winning organizations do.

As far as AA is concerned I'm indifferent to him staying or going with Rogers as ownership. At the very least he misread how much they'd support the moves he made last year should they fail and that's on him. He's also inexorably tied to Beeston and his ridiculous policies on contract term and incentives so if I've gotta let AA go to see Beeston gone I'm more than willing to make that move.

I agree with a lot of this. AA failed in his attempt to bolster the rotation. He miscalculated with Santana, and that is on him.
I was very happy with AA's rebuild through the draft (but still very unimpressed with this organization's ability to develop in the minors).
I also was impressed with last off-season and thought it was worth a shot, but that was on the premise that those deals were about a 3 year window. Right now it looks like they are unwilling to double down, which is what they should be doing.

If they are going to rebuild, I do trust AA with it, but wonder how the fan base would respond.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #19
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

I think last year weighed heavily on how Josh Johnson performed. If he won 10-15 games for us and was a solid 4th starter, it would have been a different year. It obviously didn't work out and now we missed out on a comparable talent in Santana. If we don't have a solid showing this season I predict AA has a fire sale and trades Dickey, Buerhle, Janssen among others (Maybe even Bautista depending how he plays/injury situation).
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #20
bluerap
Local High School Star

If they are buried one or two months in (very possible in this division) I hope they trade all their assets and rebuild. There is no point in wasting Bautista and EE in their prime. Not good for us, not good for them.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #21
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
If they are buried one or two months in (very possible in this division) I hope they trade all their assets and rebuild. There is no point in wasting Bautista and EE in their prime. Not good for us, not good for them.

As much as going through another rebuild would suck, AA has assembled enough pieces that we could get our farm system pretty sick pretty quickly if we hit the eject button this year.

Having said that...ugh!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #22
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Tom Verducci on top things to watch for in 2014.

Guy know baseball.

Most noticable absence in things to watch... point 8 / point 10 no Blue Jays in the post season.

Who are the 2013 Pirates of 2014?

It's happened every season but one in the wild card era (1995-2013): at least one team makes the playoffs the year after a losing record. Actually, in just the past two years seven teams have done it, including three -- the Pirates, Red Sox and Indians -- last year. In order, here are the losing teams from last year that have the best chance to be playing in October this year: 1. Giants. 2. Angels. 3. Padres. 4. Mariners. 5. Brewers.

What managers could be on hot seat?

Mike Scioscia of the Angels and John Gibbons of the Blue Jays are both in similar tight spots. They have expensive teams that had losing seasons last year and didn't get much better over the winter. Ryne Sandberg of the Phillies would also fall into this category of teams built to win that are trending downward, but this is his first full season.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...#ixzz2x0AQNNZQ

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...#ixzz2x09U1YQ3
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #23
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Opening Day Roster revealed:

- Dustin McGowan is our 5th starter (Happ to DL)

- Esmil Rogers, Todd Redmond and Jeremy Jeffress make the team; 8 man bullpen

- Bench will be Maicer Izturis, Moises Sierra and Josh Thole (felt like Kratz deserved that spot)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #24
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
Opening Day Roster revealed:

rooting for McGowan. great story.

like the bullpen. should be a strength.

bench is suspect though. they'll miss davis in the late innings.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #25
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The bench is horrendous. Is Jeremy Jeffress really that necessary to hang onto? This is why I wish the Jays traded a reliever like Janssen in the offseason. I guess they tried with Santos. They can't go long with this 8-man bullpen. Also, I hope Gose shows something this year so he can at least be that 4th OF. Your 4th OF should always be able to play CF. I don't see that in Sierra and they better not be serious in giving Melky some time in CF.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #26
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
The bench is horrendous. Is Jeremy Jeffress really that necessary to hang onto? This is why I wish the Jays traded a reliever like Janssen in the offseason. I guess they tried with Santos. They can't go long with this 8-man bullpen. Also, I hope Gose shows something this year so he can at least be that 4th OF. Your 4th OF should always be able to play CF. I don't see that in Sierra and they better not be serious in giving Melky some time in CF.

They need to hold on to Sierra in case they decide to blow it up and trade the starters.

The lack of development by this organization is really scary. When was the last time a prospect was developed into an MLB all star?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #27
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

They are very serious. And I believe Bautista played some CF in spring as well. I thought there was an outside shot they take one of Gose/Pillar with them to be that reserve CF. But not the case. An 8-man bullpen I do believe is temporary. Until McGowan builds up enough arm strength (or gets injured).
Old 03-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
They need to hold on to Sierra in case they decide to blow it up and trade the starters.

The lack of development by this organization is really scary. When was the last time a prospect was developed into an MLB all star?

Brett Cecil, last year. Before that Ricky Romero (2011). Vernon Wells (multiple times). Aaron Hill (2009). Roy Halladay (multiple times).

I get the point, and somewhat agree with it. Being a MLB all-star is not the same as other sport because each team gets a representative. Also relief pitching all-stars are questionable. Like, how valuable can a reliever really be?

During AA's tenure, we haven't really seen anyone that's ready. Gose is the closest I suppose, and he hasn't developed as a hitter, so I agree with that. But after that, Sanchez, Stroman are the closest. And honestly speaking, I feel Sanchez is at least a year away (though he'll be rushed), and Stroman is at least half a year away and possibly a relief pitcher long term. Since AA drafted mostly high school guys, they don't make the majors until 4-5 years down the line. And it takes them a couple of years or so to really establish themselves. Realistically speaking, someone like Sanchez shouldn't be expected to be a ML all-star until like 2017.

I think the recent success of kids like Harper, Trout, Strasburg, Harvey, Fernandez has sort of given a false perspective on player development. It takes time. Look at Trevor Bauer; he was supposed to be the next best thing. But once again, he's beginning the year in Triple-A.

I think the next Jays player to take the step up is Brett Lawrie. His mechanics have really quieted at the plate and his swing is short, compact and he's tracking the ball better. Only has 3Ks in spring, but he's not walking much. It's possible he hits near .300 this year, but I don't expect the power numbers to be that great. Around 15-17 homers. He could be the next Blue Jay who develops into an all-star.

The player that has me really worried is Colby Rasmus. That K rate is dangerously bad. 18Ks in 47 ABs.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:08 PM   #29
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Not that it's going to make or break the season or anything but CAN WE JUST SIGN STEPHEN DREW ALREADY.

I swear to God if I have to watch much more of an Isturiz-Goins combo I'm cancelling everything involving Rogers and building a time machine to send a robotic assassin back in time to kill Ted Rogers' pregnant mother.

Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:16 PM   #30
brwnman

Quote:
Not that it's going to make or break the season or anything but CAN WE JUST SIGN STEPHEN DREW ALREADY.

I swear to God if I have to watch much more of an Isturiz-Goins combo I'm cancelling everything involving Rogers and building a time machine to send a robotic assassin back in time to kill Ted Rogers' pregnant mother.

Jesus H. Christ on a pogo stick.

He has to want to come here for a 1yr 14M contract. He isn't willing to do that so far.

When I heard Reyes left the game before I had time to tune into the game, I immediately thought, the season is over. Fire sale mid-season!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: