Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #106
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Blue Jays Season 2014

For me all the Raptors playoffs teams (last year, the Bosh years) it was obvious that they weren't going far. Nice seasons but they were always going to ultimately end with a 2nd round loss at best. That 2000-01 team had a legit shot of going to the Finals. They would've probably gotten murdered by the Lakers but still.

Also with baseball, the best teams always make it to the playoffs but the best overall team doesn't always win in the end like you generally see with basketball. It's the "long run" nature of the sport. If the Jays can win the division and not have to screw around with that Wild Card play in game, that would be huge.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #107
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This was ridiculous.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...lb&cache=1.gif

Also, Gose's final AB:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/...lb&cache=1.gif
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #108
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Marcus Stroman is pretty good at throwing a baseball.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #109
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
“He hanged it,” Encarnacion said. “I banged it.”

The best.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #110
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

What Stroman and Hutchison are doing is exactly the kind of unexpected contribution that the Jays needed to be competitive this year. I do wonder how they will fare later in the year with more innings on their arms.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:04 AM   #111
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

You've gotta give credit to J.A. Happ too. He's pitched well in 8 out of his 12 starts. Pretty solid for a 5th starter this year. Now if only Dickey could pitch any where close to what he is being paid for.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #112
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
You've gotta give credit to J.A. Happ too. He's pitched well in 8 out of his 12 starts. Pretty solid for a 5th starter this year. Now if only Dickey could pitch any where close to what he is being paid for.

Honestly? If Happ has figured how to throw strikes, he's 'found money', and could be much more than a #5. He's added 1.5 MPH onto his FB this season, and was at 97 at 117 pitches in his last start. There aren't a ton of lefty starters in MLB that can do that.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:09 AM   #113
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Cubs/A's deal official. Samardzija and Hammel for Russell, McKinney, Straily, PTBNL.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #114
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Cubs/A's deal official. Samardzija and Hammel for Russell, McKinney, Straily, PTBNL.

WOW!
Best team in Baseball (at least AL) with I think the best ERA and they just added 2 top of the rotation starters. On one hand I am a little disappointed that AA didn't get it done (almost seemed like he was just too slow to make a decision). On the other hand, I really didn't want to trade Sanchez or Stroman for Samrdzija.

I'm probably alone in this right now, but I would rather take our chances with the current rotation than trade a top pitching prospect that is less than a year away. I really like a future rotation that has Stroman, Hutchinson, Sanchez, Norris and Nolan. I'm still bitter about losing Syndergaard. If we trade one or two pitchers from the future rotation for one year of a number 3 starter it will look really bad in a year or two.

If we can use one future starter to acquire a true ace that will sign an extension, I would be on board with that. This teams true weakness isn't even pitching, it's batting against left handed pitchers. They need some right handed platoon players more than a starter.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #115
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I'm not the biggest fan of Sanchez. From the lots I've read but little I've seen, I'm getting Kyle Drabek flashbacks with him. If there's a good deal to be had, I wouldn't mind if the Jays traded him.

I do think an upgrade at 2B and a competent right-handed bat to pair with Lind are the big needs right now. Hutchison and Stroman are doing great. I'm not sure how they'll look in September but so far, so good.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #116
bluerap
Local High School Star

Well, another game against a leftie, another horrible offensive performance. I just don't think this team is good enough to play consistent baseball for 162.

Re: Sanchez
I'm not sure what you don't like. He is 21 years old and is ready to play in MLB. In 2 years he will be our best starter.

He is figuring it out.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...perfect-storm/
Old 07-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #117
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

He still can't throw strikes. All reports are that his command is still off and he's not throwing enough strikes. That won't work in the Majors where hitters will rarely (relative to the Minors) chase stuff outside of the zone.

If they brought up Sanchez now then you'd be seeing many 2-0 and 3-1 counts and juicy pitches to hit. Exactly what happened to Kyle Drabek. If they don't trade him, he might be worth a look in the bullpen later on this year. I would not want to see him starting unless he makes major improvements.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #118
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
Re: Sanchez
I'm not sure what you don't like. He is 21 years old and is ready to play in MLB. In 2 years he will be our best starter.

He is figuring it out.
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...perfect-storm/

Quote:

Sanchez a pivotal piece

The latest series of roster machinations is, for the most part, far more significant than the shifting of deck chairs that typically follows a blowout loss.

Adding Sanchez & Goins on Tuesday is all about recalibrating things ahead of the looming returns of Edwin Encarnacion, Brett Lawrie & Adam Lind, allowing the club to hit the ground running once the injured sluggers return.

Sanchez is especially pivotal since the prized pitching prospect has the potential to provide a badly needed boost to a bullpen deprived of expected pillars Delabar & Santos. If he can leverage his power right arm into an effective late-inning option, Anthopoulos can push relief help down his trade deadline priority list.

Sanchez has roughly 30 innings remaining on his workload cap, which is ample opportunity to help bridge the gap to closer Janssen over the home-stretch, provided of course he takes to the conversion from starter to reliever. The late innings is an area that’s been unsteady all season.
Quote:
Sanchez, who was 3-7 with a 3.95 ERA in 22 games, 20 starts at Buffalo & double-A New Hampshire this season, is looking to make his promotion a one-way ticket.

The Blue Jays shifted him to the bullpen during the all-star break, a move that signaled his imminent arrival, but how quickly the promotion came was somewhat surprising. Sanchez himself was caught off-guard, catching word after Buffalo’s 11-4 win at Lehigh Valley.

The tipping point for him came with an arm-slot adjustment that had Anthopoulos floating the idea of his arrival earlier this month.

Sanchez described the change as a correction of “a couple of mechanical things that would be inconsistent with my arm slot, so what we did down there was go back to the foundation, and the more and more I repeated the delivery thing, everything else fell into place.”

I’m still low three-quarters, everything is still the same,” he said. “But what I did behind the rubber made everything consistent with the arm slot.”

A season of promise hangs in the balance. The Jays need Sanchez’s stuff to play. Anthopoulos won’t be able to address all of his team’s holes with the return of injured players & through trade with whatever financial resources at his disposal, so every internal gain he can get really, really counts.
link

what a frustrating 2 years.

they can still pull this off, though. hopefully EE hits the ground running.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #119
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

good win last night.

bautista stung the ball. sanchez looked sharp.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:55 AM   #120
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Please Jays, acquire a pitcher and a middle of the order bat.

I really really want Beltre, but think he'll cost too much. I'd be ok with the starting pitching if we got a legit middle of the order bat. Get a bat, and a couple of relievers and see where that takes us. Hopefully all the guys come back from the DL in the next couple of weeks as expected (Reimold, Edwin, Lawrie and Lind).

If Jays do nothing (which is a real possibility), they might bring Morrow back as a reliever.

The other hitter Jays might be looking at, is Marlon Byrd I think. It could mean Bautista shifts to 3rd as worst case scenario. We're lucky to be tied for the second playoff spot and this series with the Yankees is a big win. I think the last 25 of 31 games of the season are against AL East opponent for the Jays.
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: