Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #31
gts
shhhhhhh

Default Re: Malaysia Airlines Airplane went Missing over China?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
I've flown a ton on Malaysia, their Asia to LAX route is one of the best around. Very unfortunate that this happened, it is a class airline with a great safety record. From where it allegedly wrecked off the southern coast of Vietnam looks like it went down shortly after reaching cruising altitude, I wonder what the hell happened?

It is.. I've flown them almost exclusively to Malayasia and I can't say enoug good things about the airline

So two passengers are not who they were supposed to be huh?

An Austrian passport and an Italian passport were used to board the plane but the owners of those passports are alive an well, both reported them missing/stolen a couple years ago
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #32
Akrazotile
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
It is.. I've flown them almost exclusively to Malayasia and I can't say enoug good things about the airline

So two passengers are not who they were supposed to be huh?

An Austrian passport and an Italian passport were used to board the plane but the owners of those passports are alive an well, both reported them missing/stolen a couple years ago

Seems unlikely that the stereotypical jihadist could float an Italian and especially Austrian dudes picture on a passport and not arouse suspicoun. Unless it was doctored or the original owners were towelheads themselves. But what would be the point anyway, Arabs are allowed to get passports and fly on planes. And if these guys were known terror targets seems like itd be pretty easy to track them nowadays, fake passport or not.

Too early to make any judgements one way or another, but these leaked nefarious circumstances remind me of the supposed "bin laden capture" - no arrest, no body recovered, no evidence, and the marines who supposedly did it were killed in a helicopter crash months later. Shits just unbelievable how gullible and naive the public is.

MOST terror attacks are perpetrated by a government somewhere. Even today, and evn in the West. People just dont see it bc they dont WANT to see it. FACT.
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #33
nathanjizzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dresta
Someone's got his serious pants on today.

Laughing at the misfortunes of others is a pretty elemental part of comedy. A joke that isn't made at someone's expense is most likely not a good joke. Stop telling people what they should or shouldn't find funny; humour is a means for dealing with the catastrophic, the pointless and futile; it is a coping mechanism that allows us to accept what is tragic without feeling personally injured by it. Feeling bad about 200 people randomly dying doesn't do anybody any favours, and if any humour can be gleaned from such a tragedy, then that is a positive.

People who take life too seriously and lack a sense of humour are not to be trusted.

you have a point, if a person is dealing with a personal tragety. we dont know anyof these people nor do any of us care that much. To make a joke at the expense of these victims familys, who have already lost, is just disrespectful, In return for what? to be a douche? a giggle? Its not like anyone here is emotionally traumatized and is using humor as a copping mechanism.

so yea, if you want to be the idiot that cracks a joke at the expense of others, go ahead, be that idiot. You have the right to be an idiot.

Last edited by nathanjizzle : 03-08-2014 at 12:26 PM.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #34
Dresta
A humble prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
you have a point, if a person is dealing with a personal tragety. we dont know anyof these people nor do any of us care that much. To make a joke at the expense of these victims familys, who have already lost, is just disrespectful, In return for what? to be a douche? a giggle? Its not like anyone here is emotionally traumatized and is using humor as a copping mechanism.

so yea, if you want to be the idiot that cracks a joke at the expense of others, go ahead, be that idiot. You have the right to be an idiot.
Why is it 'disrespectful' - how can you disrespect someone who is anonymous as far as you are concerned? Sorry, but i don't think a couple of guys making jokes on ISH is gonna cause the families of these victims any further pain, and frankly, if i'd lost a loved one, i would be completely indifferent to whatever jokes people may or may not be making.

You don't have to have a personal connection to the pain and misery in the world to feel it and be brought down by it. The imagination is enough to make people feel traumatised over the death and suffering of people they don't even know. No, people may not be 'emotionally traumatised' on here, but it is certain that without the coping mechanism of humour many more would be (see how many laughs you can get out of a severely depressed person). But for some reason you feel the need to disparage someone for bringing a bit of levity to a morbid subject like this; it is apparently wrong to do something that causes no perceptible harm, but is likely to bring a few smiles or laughs to the faces of lugubrious individuals. Instead you need to moralise and make yourself feel superior by preaching some bullshit about 'disrespect.'

Almost all topical jokes are at the expense of somebody, so i guess all comedians are thus 'idiots.' Or perhaps it is you that is the idiot? That would make more sense. A petty, moralising waste of space is what you are. Laughter jokes and humour are always good things, and i really couldn't care less if a joke offends a few people who take themselves too seriously.

Last edited by Dresta : 03-08-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Dresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #35
nathanjizzle
Banned

Quote:
Why is it 'disrespectful' - how can you disrespect someone who is anonymous as far as you are concerned? Sorry, but i don't think a couple of guys making jokes on ISH is gonna cause the families of these victims any further pain, and frankly, if i'd lost a loved one, i would be completely indifferent to whatever jokes people may or may not be making.

You don't have to have a personal connection to the pain and misery in the world to feel it and be brought down by it. The imagination is enough to make people feel traumatised over the death and suffering of people they don't even know. No, people may not be 'emotionally traumatised' on here, but it is certain that without the coping mechanism of humour many more would be (see how many laughs you can get out of a severely depressed person). But for some reason you feel the need to disparage someone for bringing a bit of levity to a morbid subject like this; it is apparently wrong to do something that causes no perceptible harm, but is likely to bring a few smiles or laughs to the faces of lugubrious individuals. Instead you need to moralise and make yourself feel superior by preaching some bullshit about 'disrespect.'

Almost all topical jokes are at the expense of somebody, so i guess all comedians are thus 'idiots.' Or perhaps it is you that is the idiot? That would make more sense. A petty, moralising waste of space is what you are. Laughter jokes and humour are always good things, and i really couldn't care less if a joke offends a few people who take themselves too seriously.

Its a inner moral and ethical issue. Would you like it if you walked into a public place and strangers talked shit behind your back even though you couldnt hear it? So why do it to someone else? does that make it okay because the person doesnt hear the shit that is being said about them? It doesnt...Also, their is a third party that has to hear your disrespect.
do unto others as you would have them do unto you

and your whole point is based on a lack of compassion. because if anyone could put themselves in the same position as the victims families right now, they would not be "laughing" to cope with the loss of their loved ones. They are the ones that have lost, not us, so saying we can use humor to make ourselves feel better is idiotic and selfish when we arnt the ones in the position they are in.

humor at the expense of others is only one element of comedy. There is other types of humor that doesnt hurt someones feelings. But this is a different situation. This isnt making fun of kim kardashian, or lebrons hair line. Its making fun of a situation regarding people that have died and the families that have to suffer the greatest pain felt on this planet.

so again, be an idiot if you want to.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:57 PM   #36
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

I heard about this news. I hope the 250+ passengers are safe.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #37
Dresta
A humble prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
Its a inner moral and ethical issue. Would you like it if you walked into a public place and strangers talked shit behind your back even though you couldnt hear it? So why do it to someone else? does that make it okay because the person doesnt hear the shit that is being said about them? It doesnt...Also, their is a third party that has to hear your disrespect.
do unto others as you would have them do unto you

and your whole point is based on a lack of compassion. because if anyone could put themselves in the same position as the victims families right now, they would not be "laughing" to cope with the loss of their loved ones. They are the ones that have lost, not us, so saying we can use humor to make ourselves feel better is idiotic and selfish when we arnt the ones in the position they are in.

humor at the expense of others is only one element of comedy. There is other types of humor that doesnt hurt someones feelings. But this is a different situation. This isnt making fun of kim kardashian, or lebrons hair line. Its making fun of a situation regarding people that have died and the families that have to suffer the greatest pain felt on this planet.

so again, be an idiot if you want to.
waah ****ing waah! This 'greatest pain felt on this planet' is a universal so you better learn to deal with and accept it, lest you go mad when you inevitably have to deal with the death of loved ones yourself, or of leaving loved ones behind. Being able to appreciate life's little ironies, being able to laugh at them, despite how they may aggrieve you personally is one of the things that makes the sufferings of life a bit more tolerable, and who an earth are you to dictate to others what a fit subject for humour is? It is none of your business, but you just had to moralise about what is ok and is not ok to laugh at. Why? Because it makes you feel better about yourself and your own moral judgements (that are based on no more than thin air, i might add). I have lost 'loved ones' and i can tell you that a bit of humour does help to alleviate distress and that solemnity does no favours to anyone except the self-important, who are worried their feeling of superiority may be punctured by some frivolous joke.

Would i care if people were talking shit behind my back? Of course not, because i am not so insecure to think people shouldn't be able to talk about me honestly when i'm not around. Nor is it really any of my business what two people say about me when i'm not around. Everyone on here will have been talked about negatively behind their backs at one point or another, because that is what people like to do, so i suggest you learn to deal with that reality as well. And i really don't see how some imaginary 'disrespect' makes the gleaning of levity from an unpleasant situation a bad thing. It is not harming anyone, and is providing others with enjoyment and entertainment, so on what grounds does your moral judgement rest exactly?

This has nothing to do with compassion: you are showing no more compassion than i am through your petty moralising, you're just using the deaths of other people to feel better about yourself and how compassionate you are and how morally superior you feel to these uncompassionate jokers . You're the best joke in here though, i must say.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #38
MavsSuperFan
NBA sixth man of the year

I havent been following the story, but overhead a co-worker of mine say it have involved terrorism
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #39
BRabbiT

rip
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #40
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
I havent been following the story, but overhead a co-worker of mine say it have involved terrorism

nobody knows that. Won't know until they find the plane...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #41
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
some posters in this thread exhibiting some rather poor taste....

horrible disasters like this tend to have a way of showing who the real d-bags are.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #42
Dresta
A humble prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
horrible disasters like this tend to have a way of showing who the real d-bags are.
Let's be real here. 'horrible disasters' like this are a mere drop in the ocean of the perpetual misery and suffering inflicted throughout the world on a daily basis. The only reason people get more in a huff about things like this is because it is something that could conceivably happen to them and thus they can relate to it more easily.

Proposing limits for humour is to destroy good comedy altogether, which is all about pushing boundaries - if you don't find it funny then that is your prerogative, but sneering at what other people find funny is not a claim to moral superiority. If comedians had to worry perpetually about who they may offend with their jokes then there wouldn't be a single good comedian. In comedy no subject should be taboo, and if certain jokes offend you, then i suggest you refrain from preaching and find something more to your taste.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #43
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Let's be real here. 'horrible disasters' like this are a mere drop in the ocean of the perpetual misery and suffering inflicted throughout the world on a daily basis. The only reason people get more in a huff about things like this is because it is something that could conceivably happen to them and thus they can relate to it more easily.

Proposing limits for humour is to destroy good comedy altogether, which is all about pushing boundaries - if you don't find it funny then that is your prerogative, but sneering at what other people find funny is not a claim to moral superiority. If comedians had to worry perpetually about who they may offend with their jokes then there wouldn't be a single good comedian. In comedy no subject should be taboo, and if certain jokes offend you, then i suggest you refrain from preaching and find something more to your taste.

please get over yourself and your bullshit explanation for being a douche.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #44
MavsSuperFan
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
also its the anonymity of the internet
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #45
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

Dresta has to be one of the most miserable guy outs there. Wouldn't be surprised if Cohle from True Detective was based on him
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: