Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Draft Lottery

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Draft Lottery

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Imagine if we get lucky and we get #3, who would it makes sense for Pistons to take if available?
    Wiggins
    Parker
    Embid
    Exum
    Smart
    Randle

??
    Completely hypothetical, since I don't think it will happen, but I think SF is our biggest need so I would say Wiggins or Parker. After that I would go guard so it would be Exum or Smart. I actually think either of those guards could still play with Jennings, although Exum with his height might be the better fit. If somehow the Pistons had Parker or Wiggins, Monroe, and Drummond that would be a dream team. We could get rid of Smith for some SG out there.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Love where your head is it mate, but think Monroe will be the one out the door before Smith unfortunately.

Jennings
    KCP
    Wiggins
    Smith
    Drummond

Imagine the potential defense / that team running the floor? Damn...

We should be looking to trade Monroe for Beal, Hardaway jr, Stephenson etc

But the most likely outcome is Pistons will get scrwed with the ping pong balls and not even get a pick.......

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Love where your head is it mate, but think Monroe will be the one out the door before Smith unfortunately.

Jennings
    KCP
    Wiggins
    Smith
    Drummond

Imagine the potential defense / that team running the floor? Damn...

We should be looking to trade Monroe for Beal, Hardaway jr, Stephenson etc

But the most likely outcome is Pistons will get scrwed with the ping pong balls and not even get a pick.......
    I don't think they'll trade either unless a good deal comes along. The only one that looks decent there is Beal, but no way Washington gives him up. They want Wall, Beal, and Monroe. The Pistons would have the cap space next year to keep them both anyhow. I would think they could find a taker for Smith. There's a part of me that likes Smith's defense better. I just like Monroe more as a player overall.

Local High School Star

I'd love for us to get Parker or Wiggins. Obviously if that happens Monroe and Smith have to move on. I'd rather us get rid of Smith then Monroe. I love the Monroe Drummond combination in the post.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

More realistically, say we get #7 or #8

Who are we hoping realistically slips to that pick, or who should we be looking at drafting (even though the lottery will probably Scr3w us over again)...

I have seen Smart and Exum both listed at #7 at stages on various mocks, would we jump on one of these two if they were available?

If Lavine or Harris have tremendous combines, would we look at them?

If Randle slips, would we take a look at him even though we are stacked at the position for now?...

Perhaps Mcdermott, Saric or Stauskas?...

NBA lottery pick

If Randle slips I think maybe the GM should possibly trade the pick. Not that he won't be good, but Detroit doesn't need another PF and could possibly move a few picks down plus add another.

I actually really like McDermott. I think he fits exactly what Detroit needs at SF. He might not be the best player to take in the top 8 necessarily, but I do think he's actually going to have a good NBA career. So much has changed that guys like him that can get their own outside shot and knock them down at a high rate will have a lot of value. I don't think he's another Adam Morrison type player. I feel like he's a guy who can be a solid 3rd option. More importantly he's a guy that can give the Pistons that solid outside shooting they need to space their bigs better. If Detroit landed him I think it's a successful draft.

If for some reason Exum fell, which I highly doubt, then Detroit would have to take him. Same goes for Smart.

We really need to get that draft pick first though. I hope the ping pong balls fall in our favor.

To note, Jabari stated he will stay one more year in college.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    To note, Jabari stated he will stay one more year in college.
    I didn't realize it was official yet. It it's true it's going to be a huge mistake for him (even if they do win a championship next year). The dumbest thing a player can do is stay another year if they're a projected top 3 pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I didn't realize it was official yet. It it's true it's going to be a huge mistake for him (even if they do win a championship next year). The dumbest thing a player can do is stay another year if they're a projected top 3 pick.
    Well nothing is official til it's official this is true.

NBA lottery pick

Well nothing is official til it's official this is true.
    I haven't seen anything in the headlines where he's made an official statement. Right now it's just a rumor. Last I heard he officially said he hadn't made up his mind yet, and that was a few days ago. Duke would be absolutely loaded next year. But the thing is I don't see his game getting better like that. His game will get better playing against pros. Not college freshman on unranked teams. It would be a horrible move for him.

At this point, I want Smart. Take a PG that plays defense and pair him next to KCP. That's some devastating backcourt defense that could funnel drives towards Drummond.

NBA lottery pick

At this point, I want Smart. Take a PG that plays defense and pair him next to KCP. That's some devastating backcourt defense that could funnel drives towards Drummond.
    If we ended up with him, that would make the whole season worth it. I'm still unsure about that happening. There are a pretty solid 5 first picks though. That would be (in no particular order): Embiid, Wiggins, Parker, Exum, and Randle. Then you have Vonleh in the mix too. Smart is definitely a top tier guy though. I'm not sure how far he can fall.

Here's the other question. Do you trade Jennings at that point? It's not like there would be a ton of money locked up at PG. Jennings has a fair contract. The negative is he would take away from Smart's PT at PG. You could play Smart and Jennings alongside each other but SG should not be in the plans for Smart.

If we ended up with him, that would make the whole season worth it. I'm still unsure about that happening. There are a pretty solid 5 first picks though. That would be (in no particular order): Embiid, Wiggins, Parker, Exum, and Randle. Then you have Vonleh in the mix too. Smart is definitely a top tier guy though. I'm not sure how far he can fall.

Here's the other question. Do you trade Jennings at that point? It's not like there would be a ton of money locked up at PG. Jennings has a fair contract. The negative is he would take away from Smart's PT at PG. You could play Smart and Jennings alongside each other but SG should not be in the plans for Smart.
    I'd say we trade Jennings. He doesn't fit into the style we should be playing. When he is clicking with Monroe and Drummond, things are beautiful. But he doesn't have the basketball IQ to stick with what's working. He was raised in the Jordan age where you dominate by yourself. You could see it in the style he played and the things he said during the season, stating Cheeks gave him the green light to play the way he wants to play, which is look for his shot first, and create after.

I maintain that both him and Smith need to go. 2 highly talented, but low IQ basketball players mixed with a bunch of young talent won't lead to a winning team.

NBA lottery pick

I'm really hoping the ping pong balls fall our way for once. Then maybe we can make one of those moves. Say we end up with the 8 pick. Do you think a team in the top 4 would take Smith or Jennings and our pick for theirs? That would be interesting.

I'm really hoping the ping pong balls fall our way for once. Then maybe we can make one of those moves. Say we end up with the 8 pick. Do you think a team in the top 4 would take Smith or Jennings and our pick for theirs? That would be interesting.
    I hope so. But I don't think it is very likely. lol