Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-06-2006, 12:05 AM   #16
Faufner
Serious playground baller

Faufner has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
Who should the Raptors draft? And why?

And who is your second choice? (And why?)

In my opinion, this draft is gonna depend on one important factor:

- are the Raptors content with Charlie V at the three spot?

I personally believe that he is not a small forward. I'm mildly comfortable with having an average liability defensively, but having Charile V at the three spot is much less than average. If I were the Raptors, i'd attempt to trade Villenueva so the Raptors could draft Rudy Gay, who would be my choice (only if Villenueva is traded).

If things stand pat the way they are, the Raptors should draft Andrea Bargnani. In my opinion, he has the best talent in the draft (followed closely by Gay), based on reports and the scarce video footage I've seen of him.
Faufner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:09 AM   #17
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faufner
In my opinion, this draft is gonna depend on one important factor:

- are the Raptors content with Charlie V at the three spot?

I personally believe that he is not a small forward. I'm mildly comfortable with having an average liability defensively, but having Charile V at the three spot is much less than average. If I were the Raptors, i'd attempt to trade Villenueva so the Raptors could draft Rudy Gay, who would be my choice (only if Villenueva is traded).

If things stand pat the way they are, the Raptors should draft Andrea Bargnani. In my opinion, he has the best talent in the draft (followed closely by Gay), based on reports and the scarce video footage I've seen of him.

Either way by your scenario we are drafting a SF so what's the difference if Charlie stays or goes?
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #18
Faufner
Serious playground baller

Faufner has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Either way by your scenario we are drafting a SF so what's the difference if Charlie stays or goes?

Because I don't believe Charlie is a SF. And I'd disagree with the assertion that Bargnani is a SF, although it could debatable.
Faufner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #19
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Raps draftee

Raps if they keep the pick should select Aldridge without a doubt.

But I think they should trade with Portland who Wants Morrison:

Tor:

Gets Jack and #4

Por:

- then I'm sure the Raps would have no problem with fans being upset at passing on Aldridge and taking Bargnani b/c he was in the top five and Aldridge isn't likely to be available at 4.

35 - Saer Sene - we need a banger shot blocker rebounder to help in the post. He has the bulk and assets to help and we will be able to sign a FA C this year (ie Pryz Mohammed or Nene

55 pick - Bobby Jones (Washington) - defensive back up 2 gaurd that we need...has looked good in workout and sure he'll do well at the Orlando Predraft camp.

We would have a good draft and fill alot of holes if we could get these players

55 -
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #20
albertpujols
High School Varsity 6th Man

albertpujols has no real reputation yet.

How about that guy Adam Morrison? He is a PF-C and is even in the US team alongside JJ.

Second- Denham Brown. We need a freggin Canadian. He's not bad as it is either.
albertpujols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:53 PM   #21
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertpujols
How about that guy Adam Morrison? He is a PF-C and is even in the US team alongside JJ.

I am not sure where you read that Adam Morrison is a PF/CT but he is simply not. Off the top of my head, I would wager that he's around 6'8 and is brutally slow. He cannot defend for a lick but is a fantastic scorer, however a scorer who cannot defend is the exact player we need to avoid. If anything, we need the opposite of Adam Morrison.

As far as the second pick, Denham Brown, I don't really buy that a Canadian will bring fans to the game. A winning team will bring fans to the game, if you put a winner on the court, then you will fill the seats. Now if you feel that two players are of equal skill and potential, then I would obviously take the Canadian because of the ties to the team, but the player should be picked because of his skill level, not because of where he's from.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 AM   #22
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertpujols

Adam Morrison is a SF and a SF only.

Also Denham Brown would be a fantastic pick. I love his game and think he is better than he showed at Uconn because of the lack of PT he got as they are very deep at Uconn. But being canadian should have nothing to do with it.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #23
Yogi4mvp
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Yogi4mvp has an OK reputation so far

My Raptor draft board:

LaMarcus Aldridge
Rudy Gay
Andrea Bargnani
Tyrus Thomas

Patrick O'Bryant
Adam Morrison
Marcus Williams

What I would do if I was running the show:

Draft Aldridge, draft a Euro with the first second rounder, stash him there for a couple of years, draft Bobby Jones, sign Jackie Butler, free agent from the Knicks, 3 years/$12 million.
The guy is a beast waiting to break out. Check his stats when he actually got minutes. 63% from the field, 9 and 5 in 21 minutes. Not too shabby.

Butler could start while Aldridge adjusts.
Sign Jay Williams 3 years/$12 million (First year guaranteed, second team option, third player option)
Yogi4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #24
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Honestly, I think that Toronto should trade down, pick up a vet point guard, and pick up a big guy at the same time. Also, after that, pick up Joel Pryzbilla in the FA Market. Maybe even make a trade for Jamaal Magloire. Supposedly Magloire has made it clear to his agent that playing in Toronto is one of his top priorities. In the second round, picking up Denham Brown might not be a bad deal because they could have a dynamic duo of Canadians on a Canadian Team. Honestly, who wouldn't wanna see that?
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 02:26 PM   #25
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Honestly, I think that Toronto should trade down, pick up a vet point guard, and pick up a big guy at the same time. Also, after that, pick up Joel Pryzbilla in the FA Market. Maybe even make a trade for Jamaal Magloire. Supposedly Magloire has made it clear to his agent that playing in Toronto is one of his top priorities. In the second round, picking up Denham Brown might not be a bad deal because they could have a dynamic duo of Canadians on a Canadian Team. Honestly, who wouldn't wanna see that?

I can't believe that raps fans want either Pryz or Magloire to play for us. Pryz is terrible. One half season of rebounding and shot blocking!? That's it. He's injured all the time, can barely score and isn't even good enough when healthy to play starters mins on the worst team in the NBA! Magloire has no Offense and is also injured a lot and is one of the worst FT shooters ever. Let alone price tags upwards of $10M per year. If anyone disagrees with that price tag, Kwame Brown makes $8M per is 'nuff said.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #26
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I like the Portland Trade Scenario in getting Jack and #4.. but for some reason I don't feel comfortable with the Raptors drafting Bargnani. I just have a feeling he's going to be a bust. I haven't seen him in game action or anything, but the thought of Nikolas Tskitishvili are the first thing that come to my head. I'd hate to see that happen to the Raptors when they finally get some luck in landing the #1 pick. In my opinion:

Trade #1 for Jack and #4
Draft Brandon Roy
Sign/Trade Mike James to Miluakee for Magloire, and #39
Draft Darius Washington with #35
Draft Denham Brown with #39
Draft A Euro with #55 and let him play overseas/NDBL

The depth Chart would look something like this
C- Magloire/Araujo/Woods
PF- Bosh/Bonner/Sow
SF- Villaneuva/Graham
SG- Peterson/Roy/Brown
PG- Jack/Calderon/Barett(not sure if he's still under contract)

In addition, they could also sign Jay Williams, he may be able to start, and if not play behind Jack. That makes Calderon tradeable. because apparently Colangelo is not a fan of his.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:32 AM   #27
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool
Lightbulb Barrett and other info...

I think they re-signed Barrett to a 2 year deal during the season. Not for sure, but they do have him next season. But I am really high on Marcus Williams. His game is incredible and I guess he is impressing Colangelo according to an interview Kelly had after the workout. Their best bet would be to trade down...They can get rid of Eric Williams that is taking up cap space and get someone who will play to the best ability. And that will also give Eric Williams playing time with another team. Best of both worlds. And about that whole Pryzbilla thing, I put his name out there for the soul reason that we need a shot blocker. I put Magloire out there cause we honestly need some Canadian presence on this team. People are saying "Denham Brown" this and, "Denham Brown" that. Who says we will get him with that 35th pick. Who knows, he might go in late first round for all we know. I guess it is all the waiting game to see what actually happens.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #28
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I think they re-signed Barrett to a 2 year deal during the season. Not for sure, but they do have him next season. But I am really high on Marcus Williams. His game is incredible and I guess he is impressing Colangelo according to an interview Kelly had after the workout. Their best bet would be to trade down...They can get rid of Eric Williams that is taking up cap space and get someone who will play to the best ability. And that will also give Eric Williams playing time with another team. Best of both worlds. And about that whole Pryzbilla thing, I put his name out there for the soul reason that we need a shot blocker. I put Magloire out there cause we honestly need some Canadian presence on this team. People are saying "Denham Brown" this and, "Denham Brown" that. Who says we will get him with that 35th pick. Who knows, he might go in late first round for all we know. I guess it is all the waiting game to see what actually happens.

barretts contract isnt guarenteed, all it meant was he got the rest of last season and an invite to training camo, after that hes probably gone

i agree with marcus williams, he is the man from this draf, he can take a team like atlanta and give it an extra 15-20 wins next season (ala chris paul with NOoCK)

i wouldnt trade the #1 pick for anything involving pryzbila, we can get ghim in free agency, and we ARE an attractive prospect who he should like to come to (we played hard, portland dont)
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:43 PM   #29
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:

Barrett's deal isn't guaranteed.

I think we should hang on to Williams now that his contract ends after this season. I'd rather try and unload Hoffa on some poor sucker.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #30
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Marcus Williams would definetly be a solid pick but I don't think they'd take him number 1. If they could trade down, get some talent in the process and then draft him, that would be great. What team could they trade to though, and what would they get in return?
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: