Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Fitness questions

I have a few questions for all you fitness guys out there.

1. What exactly is "water weight" and how do you lose that?

2. If I pick a certain distance, lets say a mile, will i burn the same amount of calories as if I walk the mile?

3. How in the hell is it possible to burn more calories than you eat... unless your diet consists of only fruits and salad...

and last, does anyone have a suggestion of a good workout routine that i can do at home, because when i go home i don't have access to a gym as i do here in college.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Fitness questions

Water weight is something you accumulate while you're still in your mama's bell and she hasn't yet broken her water. The only way you can lose that is through plastic surgery or by wearing absorbent clothes and sitting in heat trying to sweat a lot.

2. If I pick a certain distance, lets say a mile, will i burn the same amount of calories as if I walk the mile?
Its actually just a myth. I mean, a mile is a mile is a mile. I doesn't matter if you crawl or fly, you'll finish the same amount of distance and since the burning calories part is directly related to the amount of distance you cover, its all the same.

3. How in the hell is it possible to burn more calories than you eat... unless your diet consists of only fruits and salad...
That's all you can pretty much eat. The best way to fix your breakfast actually is to drink grass soup. High protein and fructose and you can actually pick the grass out of your backyard and put it in a juicer along with some mushrooms and banana peels to give you the healthiest breakfast. I know it sounds nasty, but its the best way to kick start that metabloism.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

just gotta adjust your diet.

go veggie if you have to.

basically, you need that rumbling feeling when you are not gettin active, and right before you are active, eat a high energy source low in fat.

this helps burn fat.

you should lose fat before gaining muscle. doing both simultaneously is hard and generally does not yield optimal results.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #4
D-Wade
Great college starter

D-Wade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanOnSteroids
Water weight is something you accumulate while you're still in your mama's bell and she hasn't yet broken her water. The only way you can lose that is through plastic surgery or by wearing absorbent clothes and sitting in heat trying to sweat a lot.

Its actually just a myth. I mean, a mile is a mile is a mile. I doesn't matter if you crawl or fly, you'll finish the same amount of distance and since the burning calories part is directly related to the amount of distance you cover, its all the same.

That's all you can pretty much eat. The best way to fix your breakfast actually is to drink grass soup. High protein and fructose and you can actually pick the grass out of your backyard and put it in a juicer along with some mushrooms and banana peels to give you the healthiest breakfast. I know it sounds nasty, but its the best way to kick start that metabloism.

All depends what weight he is and what bf %. On average what you usually whats cals u eat you will burn off through the day and in return maintain your weight but if u did excersise u would burn more cals off but there is no cals there so your body turns to fat storage.

Sauna to burn water weight but as soon as you get out and get a drink it is back on.

Run a meal or walk a mile = burn more running because your heart weight will be greatly increased.
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
D-Wade
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
just gotta adjust your diet.

go veggie if you have to.

basically, you need that rumbling feeling when you are not gettin active, and right before you are active, eat a high energy source low in fat.

this helps burn fat.

you should lose fat before gaining muscle. doing both simultaneously is hard and generally does not yield optimal results.

If he does go veggie then he will only burn muscle mass. He needs his meat source to get that protein (unless he wanted to drink protein powder all day). He needs moderate fat for his body to function i say stick to fish fat to lose weight.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
D-Wade
Great college starter

If he did put his Height/weight/bf ratio up it would be a great help.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade
If he did put his Height/weight/bf ratio up it would be a great help.

my height is 5'8, current weight is 173. i don't know what bf ratio is.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
D-Wade
Great college starter

Well at 5'8'' and 173 i wouldnt go below 160.

You need to aim for 170-180 grams of protein a day and around 300 grams of carbs and split it into 4/5/6 meals. Stick to whole foods and for protein chicken and fish are great. Carbs i would go with potatoes,rice and vegies and fruit. Drink around 1 gallon-2gallon of water a day and dont touch the soder.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

You can actually calculate it using a measuring tape.

Multiply your height in inches by your weight in pounds and divide it by your height in cm and then subtract the circumference around your stomach and multiply it with the half width of your wrist. that's your bf %.

wierd i know, but somehow that's what the scientists say it comes out to. if you want a more accurate reading you need to get a total body immersion or become a cadaver.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:30 PM   #10
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Well at 5'8'' and 173 i wouldnt go below 160.

You need to aim for 170-180 grams of protein a day and around 300 grams of carbs and split it into 4/5/6 meals. Stick to whole foods and for protein chicken and fish are great. Carbs i would go with potatoes,rice and vegies and fruit. Drink around 1 gallon-2gallon of water a day and dont touch the soder.

Well, i've been at around 160 before (i think about 165 to be exact), but with my weight distribution, it's never seemed to be "in-shape". And i've tried to have these diets of mainly just fruits and vegetables, but then I get really hungry and can't resist having something else to eat. As far as exercise, it seems like I burn just enough calories to stay the same weight, so that's frustrating. I exercise like crazy and then if for 3-4 days, i stop.. that's 5-6 pounds right there.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:30 PM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanOnSteroids
You can actually calculate it using a measuring tape.

Multiply your height in inches by your weight in pounds and divide it by your height in cm and then subtract the circumference around your stomach and multiply it with the half width of your wrist. that's your bf %.

wierd i know, but somehow that's what the scientists say it comes out to. if you want a more accurate reading you need to get a total body immersion or become a cadaver.
wow, you lost me there, lol
Old 03-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #12
D-Wade
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Well, i've been at around 160 before (i think about 165 to be exact), but with my weight distribution, it's never seemed to be "in-shape". And i've tried to have these diets of mainly just fruits and vegetables, but then I get really hungry and can't resist having something else to eat. As far as exercise, it seems like I burn just enough calories to stay the same weight, so that's frustrating. I exercise like crazy and then if for 3-4 days, i stop.. that's 5-6 pounds right there.

Yeh that 5-6 pound will be water weight and within a day or 2 you would of put it back on. If you are maintaining your weight now cut out all the sugar, candy and soda your having drink more water and run once a night and then add in an extra meal a day of say eggs and oatmeal or a protein shake see how it goes from there.

This is only the start to start gradually getting you up to a full diet and excersise plan. If u do it all right now u will only get bored to soon and go back to old ways.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:40 PM   #13
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Yeh that 5-6 pound will be water weight and within a day or 2 you would of put it back on. If you are maintaining your weight now cut out all the sugar, candy and soda your having drink more water and run once a night and then add in an extra meal a day of say eggs and oatmeal or a protein shake see how it goes from there.

This is only the start to start gradually getting you up to a full diet and excersise plan. If u do it all right now u will only get bored to soon and go back to old ways.

Yeah that tends to happen. I feel tired as hell but I don't see any results, which is why I usually go back to what I was eating before with no exercise.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:41 PM   #14
D-Wade
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Yeah that tends to happen. I feel tired as hell but I don't see any results, which is why I usually go back to what I was eating before with no exercise.

You feel tired because your carb intake will be low.What does your diet look like now? full day!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 PM   #15
Derek
Good High School Starter

Derek has an OK reputation so far

I'm just wondering. I'm 6'7" 210 pounds. Is that in the ideal weight range? I feel a little thin, but not rail thin. I exercise quite often and am not sure if I should just stick to what I'm doing, or try to bulk up.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: