Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 03-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far
Default OT: Durant or Oden ?

lets get away from the knicks talk for a little bit. lets say your a gm and u had the #1 pick, who would u pick durant or oden. me personally i would take durant. this guy is seriously a special player. he's a 6'10 guy with extremely long arms who can shoot, has a quick release and he has a good post game and he can go to the basket that means he's goin to be unstopable, also he doesnt force nothin, he lets the game come to him and he takes good shots. and to add to that he's a good rebounder who also block shots. he is seriously the complete package. i hope a team from the west gets him because i dont want the knicks to face him 4 times a year.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
MetsPackers
new based god

MetsPackers has decent reputation
Default Re: Durant or Oden ?

Oden has more potential and will be a better NBA player than Durant. Durant is skinny and light, and will be bullied inside by the likes of Howard, Curry, Amare, and Shaq. Oden is a big man who can block shots and change offensive gameplans. He has raw inside scoring talent that can easily be developed by bringing in a good coach (perhaps DRob or Ewing).
MetsPackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
brooklynchild155

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsPackers
Oden has more potential and will be a better NBA player than Durant. Durant is skinny and light, and will be bullied inside by the likes of Howard, Curry, Amare, and Shaq. Oden is a big man who can block shots and change offensive gameplans. He has raw inside scoring talent that can easily be developed by bringing in a good coach (perhaps DRob or Ewing).

but when durant goes into the nba he's not goin to guard those big men. and plus he's only 18 years old he can always gain weight. that shouldnt be a problem.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Amigo has an OK reputation so far

Durant would be my pick.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #5
jjswifty

jjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation here

Depends. I think if the knicks had the 1st pick...you would take Durant even tough I think Oden will be better than Curry.
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
NShlain
Can barely lace up my sneakers

NShlain has an OK reputation so far

I refuse to make a judgement until we see Oden play without his cast for an extended period of time. If he is that much better without the cast, i don't care how good Durant is...
NShlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

Oden will definately be the better player. Durant will be solid, but is no way going to become the player these "experts" claim he is going to become.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Greg Oden - He's a 7'0 beast.

Durant can be duplicated by many players such as Brandon Wright and Thad Young, but really there is only 1 durant.

My Choice is Oden.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
NShlain
Can barely lace up my sneakers

NShlain has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: OT: Durant or Oden ?

Durant vs. Kansas today, hes already off to a hot start 8 points 2-2 on threes only 4 minutes in.
NShlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Durant ended up losing but he was nasty, player of the year award on lock.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

I hate the fact that so many "experts" overrate big men who can run without tripping. Every year, there has been a 6'10'' athletic big man that goes into the draft a lottery pick, and after a few games, people realize that he is a bust. Marvin Williams, Tyrus Thomas, Rudy Gay, Darko Milicic are all examples of such. Sure, these guys have potential, and have along way to go development wise. However, why are they lottery picks? In my opinion, lottery picks should be instant impact players, not players that you have to wait a few years for.

These big men are used to playing college ball, a game that has few shot blockers, and big men. They have much less pressure on them, and can always rely on their teammate chucking up a three under pressure. Thats not how it is in the NBA.This is why I think Joakim Noah, and Kevin Durant are extremely overrated, and will not be nearly as good in the NBA as they are in college.

There are only few exceptions to this trend, LBJ and Carmelo Anthony being two of them. However, youre not going to get a Melo in every draft, much less a LeBron. CMon now, youve got to put Oden over Durant.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

I wouldn't Put Rudy Gay in that Category. Rudy Gay is by far better then Tyrus Thomas, Darko and Marvin Williams. I get what your saying about Potential but Rudy Gay is Amazing.

Marvin Williams has Potential and Tyrus Thomas is a project. Rudy Gay is set and he'll be an Allstar one day in the League.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:09 PM   #13
brooklynchild155

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafir
I hate the fact that so many "experts" overrate big men who can run without tripping. Every year, there has been a 6'10'' athletic big man that goes into the draft a lottery pick, and after a few games, people realize that he is a bust. Marvin Williams, Tyrus Thomas, Rudy Gay, Darko Milicic are all examples of such. Sure, these guys have potential, and have along way to go development wise. However, why are they lottery picks? In my opinion, lottery picks should be instant impact players, not players that you have to wait a few years for.

These big men are used to playing college ball, a game that has few shot blockers, and big men. They have much less pressure on them, and can always rely on their teammate chucking up a three under pressure. Thats not how it is in the NBA.This is why I think Joakim Noah, and Kevin Durant are extremely overrated, and will not be nearly as good in the NBA as they are in college.

There are only few exceptions to this trend, LBJ and Carmelo Anthony being two of them. However, youre not going to get a Melo in every draft, much less a LeBron. CMon now, youve got to put Oden over Durant.

wow, how can u say durant is overrated. do u see the things he's doin. the guy is 6-10 with a 7 foot wingspan that can shoot the lights out, drive to the basket and post u up also he isnt a selfish player and he lets the game come to him and he's overrated. on top of that he's a good rebounder and he isnt a liability on the defensive side. its clear that u havent seen him play that much. cause if u did u wouldnt be sayin that.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #14
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafir

All of the players you just mentioned rely on athleticism while Durant has athleticism and he's an amazing shooter. Did Marvin Williams average like 35 in a month when he was a freshman? Did Rudy Gay get double doubles all the time? Did we really know anything about Milicic?
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #15
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynchild155
wow, how can u say durant is overrated. do u see the things he's doin. the guy is 6-10 with a 7 foot wingspan that can shoot the lights out, drive to the basket and post u up also he isnt a selfish player and he lets the game come to him and he's overrated. on top of that he's a good rebounder and he isnt a liability on the defensive side. its clear that u havent seen him play that much. cause if u did u wouldnt be sayin that.
I've watched many of Durant's games, and I was in awe. However, after looking again, I realized that this kid's techniques aren't going to work as well in the NBA. He roams around the perimeter too much, and while he does have a dangerous jumper, he relies too much on it. He doesn't go into the post nearly enough, has below par defense, and isn't as aggressive as he could be rebound wise.

I'm not saying that he won't be a good player, I just don't think he'll be as great as the experts seem to hype him into becoming. I think he's going to be a solid player in the NBA, one of the better ones. However, I don't see him turning into a Garnett or a Carmelo, but rather a Rashard Lewis, or a pre-injury Darius Miles.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: