Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
tweedy bird loc
I brick open layups

tweedy bird loc has an OK reputation so far
Default who here lifts weights?

I'm just finishing my ISSA and ACE training courses to become a personal trainer. Maybe in this thread we can share training/nutrition tips if anyone wants :)
tweedy bird loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Boogaloo
National High School Star

Boogaloo has decent reputationBoogaloo has decent reputation
Default Re: who here lifts weights?

Wats up man. Wanting to start weight training. Im about 5-10-5-11 165-160 lbs., fluctuates around there. want to get to 170-175 lbs. want to get bigger upper body, as well as strenghtn my knees and legs/ (Had a knee op on my left knee, torn ACL). Can u write me up a program I can follow to start up. Used to be cut wen i was in college playing ball 3-4 times a week pre-knee injury and job. But after school im starting to grow a belly. Thanks
Boogaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I lift to get stronger for basketball but nothing big but if i remeber correctly i think Johnny Bravo is a bodybuilder so you should talk to him.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
Ianou
I brick open layups

Ianou has an OK reputation so far

I've always wondered if weight training would screw up my jump shot. That's why I only do cardio.
Ianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
Pyro
Banned

Pyro has an OK reputation so far

Whats up man ive working out for 3 - 4 years now

What supplements do you recommend
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

im 18 about to go into college and need to get bigger over the summer. I weigh 120 lbs. (Yes i know high metabolism and went into puberty late). I eat well with lots of protein and have played soccer all my life so ive never meant to be so big.

I want to be at least 140 by the end of summer so any training/weightlifting tips would be fine. BTW im going to be running every day as well to keep my stamina high like it always has been so i dono if that has a negative effect on me being big.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianou
I've always wondered if weight training would screw up my jump shot. That's why I only do cardio.

It wont screw up your jumper just look at Ben Gordon he is ripped but he is still a very good shooter.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #8
D-Wade
Great college starter

D-Wade has an OK reputation so far

I know alot about lifting weights,cardio and nutrition it is a passion of myn. It started with my love for bodybuilding when i was a young teen about 6 years ago
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
Ianou
I brick open layups

Ianou has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with suplements. I've seen plenty of good friends get fat because they started training and all the stuff in the suplements turned into fat.
Ianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
beijing
Can barely lace up my sneakers

beijing has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
im 18 about to go into college and need to get bigger over the summer. I weigh 120 lbs. (Yes i know high metabolism and went into puberty late). I eat well with lots of protein and have played soccer all my life so ive never meant to be so big.

I want to be at least 140 by the end of summer so any training/weightlifting tips would be fine. BTW im going to be running every day as well to keep my stamina high like it always has been so i dono if that has a negative effect on me being big.

i can't imagine how thin you are. i mean i am 165 lbs 5' 11" and my nickname at the park is shrimp...well actually it depends on your height... idk, 120-150 lbs just doesn't sound good for a guy. i'm trying to gain 10 more lbs.

my girl is 17, 5' 7", 120 lbs. but her boobs are like 10 lbs each she doesn't look skinny though i guess it's because she is not that tall. idk.
beijing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:04 AM   #11
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

ILuvThisGame has an OK reputation so far

weight training won't hurt your game as long as you shoot after you lift. If you lifted for 2 or 3 weeks without picking up a ball then yea your jumper would be more then a little off, but if you went 2 or 3 weeks without shooting period your jumper would be a little rusty.

I don't know what to tell you guys that want to gain weight... i've got the opposite problem I use to be really active and junior and senior year of high school all i did was sit around and drink alot on the weekends and in March 06 i weighed 220, i started eating better (cut out high carbs late at night) and went for fish and chicken instead of the double whopper and started lifting and as of today I weighed 176.

If anything lifting has helped my game.... when i do lower body I always do explosive lifts (moderate weight, low reps) and the weight drop and lifting has increased my vertical a ton. Plus strengthening my upper body as a whole helped me develop my off hand.... its amazing how much easier it is to use your left hand when its not so weak.
ILuvThisGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:13 AM   #12
dayvid316
I brick open layups

dayvid316 has an OK reputation so far

I was wondering if you build your leg muscles does it help your vert? or make you faster?
dayvid316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #13
tweedy bird loc
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro

Fish oil, mutli vitamins and protein. I sometimes take creatine, glutamine, l-arginine (NO2) and branched chain amino acids (bcaa's), but i think the first 3 sups are most important. But diet is more important than anything.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #14
tweedy bird loc
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianou
Personally, I wouldn't mess around with suplements. I've seen plenty of good friends get fat because they started training and all the stuff in the suplements turned into fat.

Not true playa. You get fat from eating fat, not excercising, and not taking care of yourself. Sups dont make anyone fat.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
tweedy bird loc
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvid316
I was wondering if you build your leg muscles does it help your vert? or make you faster?

I'm not sure, but I would assume it couldnt hurt. They have all those vert programs that target your calves, so who knows.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: