Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
Jameerthefear
Banned

Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Orlando's last game of the season - final thoughts

I guess I'll go over every player this season/final thoughts/whatever. It's been a rough year with some really exciting moments. We've been through rough patches but through them I could always see the potential and this team. Anyways, lets start off with

Jameer Nelson
Good old Jameer. The heart and soul of this team and my favorite Magic player of alltime. He's been less than stellar this season, but he's leading the younger players and is still the best passer on the Magic (sorry Dipo.) Scoring wise Jameer is still Jameer. Almost 6 3PA per game on about 35% (probably way too much.) He shows on the occasion that he can still take over games in the 4th, but he's obviously not starting material anymore and definitely not worth 8 mil a year. I think 2014-2015 is partially guaranteed. We'll likely draft a PG so Jameer will be probably be taking a backseat next, but he doesn't seem upset about it. Dude is a good sport and I'm still glad to have him. He's better off the bench anyways.

Arron Afflalo
He's been a bittersweet surprise this season. I only say bittersweet because his play has won us more games which isn't a good thing, but I can't hate. Arron Afflalo has been our best scorer on the wing this season (Tobias Harris is a close second.) He's a hardworker and I mean HARD. One thing I notice about AA is that since he loves to score by backing his man down is that he gets really hard-earned points, and that's worn him down around this time. His defense has suffered IMO, but that's not too big of a deal and I think he'll be better next season when he doesn't have to have such a big role on offense. I think it was DMavs41 who said we should have flipped him for picks, and he might be right. We're not out of the doghouse yet. We still have to lose tonight to ensure the 3rd best odds, but I think having AA out there was somewhat beneficial. Dipo can learn a lot from him.

Kyle O' Quinn
The biggest surprise of this season. He has a really bright future. Joakim Noah is a really good comparison. I believe Hennigan is the one who drafted him, and if so, he made a REALLY good decision. O'Quinn's biggest strengths are his passing and defense. His at the rim defense is outstanding (43-44%) and his block numbers are really good for someone who only gets 17 minutes. O'Quinn's biggest weakness is foul trouble, but that kind of thing will get fixed as he goes along. He's young and these are the most minutes he has ever gotten in the NBA. O'Quinn is not the type of player that you look at the stats from this year and understand what he's done. He's only gotten the minutes these last couple of months and sometimes Vaughn will still choose to sit him. If he develops his offense a bit more, maybe a hookshot and a couple of other moves down low I can see him being really good. Having him next to Vucci down low is a blessing since Vucevic is an awful defender. He's cheap as hell too. I can see him being a 13/10/3 player. Probably even better.

Nikola Vucevic
I haven't seen too much of a difference from Vuc this season. He has struggled with injuries, and I think that might be the biggest problem. Mainly I've seen he's added a couple more post moves to his repertoire, but he still has trouble finishing at times. He needs to focus on finishing stronger in the paint. Dipo and him have a lot of chemistry on that pick and roll and he finishes very well on those usually. I'd really like to see him improve on the defensive end. His at-the-rim defensive numbers are atrocious (like 55%), which might be worse than last year. He's not the quickest, but I want to see more effort. I think that will come when on a winning team, and Vaughn is a defensive-minded coach. All-in-all a solid season, but I know he can do better.

Tobias Harris
Carmelo-lite is the perfect description for Tobi. Great scorer and rebounder but a pretty average defender. When up against quicker players it seems he has trouble keeping up, but like Vucevic I feel like once the winning starts he'll pick up. I just don't want it to become a bad habit. Enough of the bad things, Tobi is probably our best one-on-one scorer and is great at finishing at the rim. His mid-range jumpshot is outstanding, and it's really rare to ever see Tobi have an "off" offensive night. Even when coming off the bench he scores in quick bursts, and everything looks so natural for him on offense. I don't think passing is too much of a big deal even though he isn't the most willing passer because I don't think there has been one time this season where I have said "Stop Tobi, you're shooting us out of the game." Most of his shots are within the offense and when he isos he's very efficient and has a decent grasp on how to draw fouls. His FG% is at 46%, and that's good once you realize how terrible he is at shooting the 3 (25%). In my opinion he should just take the 3-point shot out of his game, but he's shown improvement over these last couple of months shooting the 3. Honestly, if he got more touches he could probably average 20/8 on something like 47%

E'taun Moore
Don't have too much to say, but he reminds me of Reggie Jackson. He's a good 3-point shooter and has an awesome floater (like seriously awesome. Dipo needs to learn how to shoot floaters like that.) He's a good scorer off the bench and having him next to Dipo brings is an interesting combination. He's not going to go out there and get assists or anything, but he's a decent option off the bench. His athleticism is underrated. He's thrown down some awesome slams this season.

Moe Harkless
Moe is probably one of the dumbest players I have ever seen touch a basketball, but he has those flashes of absolute brilliance when your like "Woah Moe can do that?" Athletic as hell, but he has so so much to learn. It's kind of like he hasn't learned his whole offensive identity yet. At an earlier point this season it seemed like he really lost his confidence, but it seems like he's gained it back recently. He's one of those really big potential player and I really expected more out him this season, but he doesn't get too many touches and he's young as hell. Good defender overall but he makes a lot of dumb mistakes when fouling and I'm pretty sure he's fouled 3-point shooters enough times to make me want to rip my hair out. Biggest weakness is his freethrow shooting and his intelligence. It will get better once he finds what his identity on offense is though.

Doron Lamb
Not much to say. He's alright. Obviously not a starter or really anything more than a spot up shooter which he's pretty good at (40% on the season.) He's cheap, so it's not like he's killing cap space so I'm not mad.

Andrew Nicholson
I can either go on and on about Andrew or I can keep it short. I'm just going to type up whatever comes up. I don't know what's up with Andrew. I don't. He isn't a good defender, and he's more like a Luis Scola hybrid with 3-point range. The problem is is that he's been awful since 2014. It might have had to with Vaughn benching him for absolutely no good reason, but lately even when he's had the minutes to produce it hasn't looked too good. AN looked like he'd made a big step early in the season. I'm talking refined post moves, improved jump shot, and more confidence. He's really been awful lately though. I just want the earlier season AN back. He isn't finishing the post moves lately and that is the biggest issue. He isn't a good defender either, so if he isn't going offensively there is no reason to give him extended minutes and that's just the sad truth. Love the guy though and I want him to do well so bad. I remember a game where he got into early foul trouble and they zoomed in on his face on the bench. He looked really frustrated. I think the offseason will really help him out and hopefully he can become what all Magic fans want him to become.

Dewayne Dedmon
We've only had him for a little bit, but I love Dewayne's energy. He's a capable defender and rebounder and really likes finishing strong at the rim. I ****ing love that.

Victor Oladipo
Alright here it goes. My favorite Magic player this season. Victor's strengths are his rebounding, defense (though it can and likely will get better), and as of this year probably his 3-point shooting. It's amazing to me how raw he looks yet he still manages to make it work. He's athletic and a fan favorite and at times this year has had the crowd in the palm of his hand. His work ethic if off the charts, and he's already made strides this season. I really want him to work on his shooting and ball-handling over the Summer. Earlier in the year people were saying Dipo is a low scoring player, but I see no reason why he can't be a 20/5/5 player. He's putting 14 a game now with limited touches and playing out of position. The refs have been unkind to him this whole season as well. Wade is the correct comparison. Most of the issues he has are just rookie issues like foul trouble and finishing at the rim. I expect a lot from Oladipo and he looks like he's ready to take the next step.

The Magic are a playoff team next year whether you think so or not. They are. The tank show is over. Our offseason moves will be really key for our future and I completely trust Hennigan. Who knows what our peak will be.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
20Four
National High School Star

20Four has decent reputation
Default Re: Orlando's last game of the season - final thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
I guess I'll go over every player this season/final thoughts/whatever. It's been a rough year with some really exciting moments. We've been through rough patches but through them I could always see the potential and this team. Anyways, lets start off with

Jameer Nelson
Good old Jameer. The heart and soul of this team and my favorite Magic player of alltime. He's been less than stellar this season, but he's leading the younger players and is still the best passer on the Magic (sorry Dipo.) Scoring wise Jameer is still Jameer. Almost 6 3PA per game on about 35% (probably way too much.) He shows on the occasion that he can still take over games in the 4th, but he's obviously not starting material anymore and definitely not worth 8 mil a year. I think 2014-2015 is partially guaranteed. We'll likely draft a PG so Jameer will be probably be taking a backseat next, but he doesn't seem upset about it. Dude is a good sport and I'm still glad to have him. He's better off the bench anyways.

Arron Afflalo
He's been a bittersweet surprise this season. I only say bittersweet because his play has won us more games which isn't a good thing, but I can't hate. Arron Afflalo has been our best scorer on the wing this season (Tobias Harris is a close second.) He's a hardworker and I mean HARD. One thing I notice about AA is that since he loves to score by backing his man down is that he gets really hard-earned points, and that's worn him down around this time. His defense has suffered IMO, but that's not too big of a deal and I think he'll be better next season when he doesn't have to have such a big role on offense. I think it was DMavs41 who said we should have flipped him for picks, and he might be right. We're not out of the doghouse yet. We still have to lose tonight to ensure the 3rd best odds, but I think having AA out there was somewhat beneficial. Dipo can learn a lot from him.

Kyle O' Quinn
The biggest surprise of this season. He has a really bright future. Joakim Noah is a really good comparison. I believe Hennigan is the one who drafted him, and if so, he made a REALLY good decision. O'Quinn's biggest strengths are his passing and defense. His at the rim defense is outstanding (43-44%) and his block numbers are really good for someone who only gets 17 minutes. O'Quinn's biggest weakness is foul trouble, but that kind of thing will get fixed as he goes along. He's young and these are the most minutes he has ever gotten in the NBA. O'Quinn is not the type of player that you look at the stats from this year and understand what he's done. He's only gotten the minutes these last couple of months and sometimes Vaughn will still choose to sit him. If he develops his offense a bit more, maybe a hookshot and a couple of other moves down low I can see him being really good. Having him next to Vucci down low is a blessing since Vucevic is an awful defender. He's cheap as hell too. I can see him being a 13/10/3 player. Probably even better.

Nikola Vucevic
I haven't seen too much of a difference from Vuc this season. He has struggled with injuries, and I think that might be the biggest problem. Mainly I've seen he's added a couple more post moves to his repertoire, but he still has trouble finishing at times. He needs to focus on finishing stronger in the paint. Dipo and him have a lot of chemistry on that pick and roll and he finishes very well on those usually. I'd really like to see him improve on the defensive end. His at-the-rim defensive numbers are atrocious (like 55%), which might be worse than last year. He's not the quickest, but I want to see more effort. I think that will come when on a winning team, and Vaughn is a defensive-minded coach. All-in-all a solid season, but I know he can do better.

Tobias Harris
Carmelo-lite is the perfect description for Tobi. Great scorer and rebounder but a pretty average defender. When up against quicker players it seems he has trouble keeping up, but like Vucevic I feel like once the winning starts he'll pick up. I just don't want it to become a bad habit. Enough of the bad things, Tobi is probably our best one-on-one scorer and is great at finishing at the rim. His mid-range jumpshot is outstanding, and it's really rare to ever see Tobi have an "off" offensive night. Even when coming off the bench he scores in quick bursts, and everything looks so natural for him on offense. I don't think passing is too much of a big deal even though he isn't the most willing passer because I don't think there has been one time this season where I have said "Stop Tobi, you're shooting us out of the game." Most of his shots are within the offense and when he isos he's very efficient and has a decent grasp on how to draw fouls. His FG% is at 46%, and that's good once you realize how terrible he is at shooting the 3 (25%). In my opinion he should just take the 3-point shot out of his game, but he's shown improvement over these last couple of months shooting the 3. Honestly, if he got more touches he could probably average 20/8 on something like 47%

E'taun Moore
Don't have too much to say, but he reminds me of Reggie Jackson. He's a good 3-point shooter and has an awesome floater (like seriously awesome. Dipo needs to learn how to shoot floaters like that.) He's a good scorer off the bench and having him next to Dipo brings is an interesting combination. He's not going to go out there and get assists or anything, but he's a decent option off the bench. His athleticism is underrated. He's thrown down some awesome slams this season.

Moe Harkless
Moe is probably one of the dumbest players I have ever seen touch a basketball, but he has those flashes of absolute brilliance when your like "Woah Moe can do that?" Athletic as hell, but he has so so much to learn. It's kind of like he hasn't learned his whole offensive identity yet. At an earlier point this season it seemed like he really lost his confidence, but it seems like he's gained it back recently. He's one of those really big potential player and I really expected more out him this season, but he doesn't get too many touches and he's young as hell. Good defender overall but he makes a lot of dumb mistakes when fouling and I'm pretty sure he's fouled 3-point shooters enough times to make me want to rip my hair out. Biggest weakness is his freethrow shooting and his intelligence. It will get better once he finds what his identity on offense is though.

Doron Lamb
Not much to say. He's alright. Obviously not a starter or really anything more than a spot up shooter which he's pretty good at (40% on the season.) He's cheap, so it's not like he's killing cap space so I'm not mad.

Andrew Nicholson
I can either go on and on about Andrew or I can keep it short. I'm just going to type up whatever comes up. I don't know what's up with Andrew. I don't. He isn't a good defender, and he's more like a Luis Scola hybrid with 3-point range. The problem is is that he's been awful since 2014. It might have had to with Vaughn benching him for absolutely no good reason, but lately even when he's had the minutes to produce it hasn't looked too good. AN looked like he'd made a big step early in the season. I'm talking refined post moves, improved jump shot, and more confidence. He's really been awful lately though. I just want the earlier season AN back. He isn't finishing the post moves lately and that is the biggest issue. He isn't a good defender either, so if he isn't going offensively there is no reason to give him extended minutes and that's just the sad truth. Love the guy though and I want him to do well so bad. I remember a game where he got into early foul trouble and they zoomed in on his face on the bench. He looked really frustrated. I think the offseason will really help him out and hopefully he can become what all Magic fans want him to become.

Dewayne Dedmon
We've only had him for a little bit, but I love Dewayne's energy. He's a capable defender and rebounder and really likes finishing strong at the rim. I ****ing love that.

Victor Oladipo
Alright here it goes. My favorite Magic player this season. Victor's strengths are his rebounding, defense (though it can and likely will get better), and as of this year probably his 3-point shooting. It's amazing to me how raw he looks yet he still manages to make it work. He's athletic and a fan favorite and at times this year has had the crowd in the palm of his hand. His work ethic if off the charts, and he's already made strides this season. I really want him to work on his shooting and ball-handling over the Summer. Earlier in the year people were saying Dipo is a low scoring player, but I see no reason why he can't be a 20/5/5 player. He's putting 14 a game now with limited touches and playing out of position. The refs have been unkind to him this whole season as well. Wade is the correct comparison. Most of the issues he has are just rookie issues like foul trouble and finishing at the rim. I expect a lot from Oladipo and he looks like he's ready to take the next step.

The Magic are a playoff team next year whether you think so or not. They are. The tank show is over. Our offseason moves will be really key for our future and I completely trust Hennigan. Who knows what our peak will be.

20Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall is starting to rub some people the wrong wayTheReal Kendall is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Four

Sorry Jameer but nobody cares about the Magic
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
Jameerthefear
Banned

Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Expected this response out of this garbage forum. Will repost to a forum that encourages good basketball discussion.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
bballnoob1192
Born again Cavs fan

bballnoob1192 has no real reputation yet.

bballnoob1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
20Four
National High School Star

20Four has decent reputation

Quote:
Expected this response out of this garbage forum. Will repost to a forum that encourages good basketball discussion.
20Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall is starting to rub some people the wrong wayTheReal Kendall is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:

Should've posted in the Magic forum
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
Uncle Drew
NBA lottery pick

Uncle Drew has decent reputation

Quote:
Coming from the troll of all trolls. The irony.
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
NugzFan
NBA lottery pick

NugzFan is considered somewhat coolNugzFan is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob1192

NugzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

TMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation here

Good write up Jameer. Obviously as the Magic being my second favorite team I can appreciate this unlike others. Most of these guys posting in here don't even have enough knowledge about their own team to make a write-up like this one. Keep on keepin' on.

Kyle O'Quinn has definitely been a surprise. He's gotten a lot of minutes lately, mostly because he's had to due to injuries but the guy is aggressive and strong with the ball which are surprisingly hard traits to find in NBA bigs nowadays. He also makes himself known defensively. I'm finding it hard to find a comparison for him. Noah is a stretch because of how amazing he's been this season. But I'd say a less vertical Tyson Chandler, maybe?

Dipo was another guy thrown into the fire. Even though he didn't start much he is definitely one of our top players. Smart, good instincts, freak athlete. He's not a PG, and the front office probably needed this season to determine that. They'll either keep Jameer around (probably because they will be unable to trade his contract) or draft a true point guard for him to play next to which will take pressure off. It's tough as a rookie to go out there and at times be the only playmaker on your team. Once again, Wade comparisons were jumping the gun a bit, but I don't see why he couldn't be a better version of Tyreke Evans. ROY!

Out of this group of guys I hope that only Afflalo, Oladipo, Vuc, O'Quinn and Harris are in the future plans. Everyone else needs to get the boot. Sorry Andrew Nicholson, my faith in you has faltered...
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
AnaheimLakers24
Banned

AnaheimLakers24 is considered somewhat coolAnaheimLakers24 is considered somewhat cool

trash franchise that will continue being lakers farm system
AnaheimLakers24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #12
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

TMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaheimLakers24
trash franchise that will continue being lakers farm system

Calm yourself.

The Lakers are just the connecting flight before players reach their real destination.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT
Good write up Jameer. Obviously as the Magic being my second favorite team I can appreciate this unlike others. Most of these guys posting in here don't even have enough knowledge about their own team to make a write-up like this one. Keep on keepin' on.

Kyle O'Quinn has definitely been a surprise. He's gotten a lot of minutes lately, mostly because he's had to due to injuries but the guy is aggressive and strong with the ball which are surprisingly hard traits to find in NBA bigs nowadays. He also makes himself known defensively. I'm finding it hard to find a comparison for him. Noah is a stretch because of how amazing he's been this season. But I'd say a less vertical Tyson Chandler, maybe?

Dipo was another guy thrown into the fire. Even though he didn't start much he is definitely one of our top players. Smart, good instincts, freak athlete. He's not a PG, and the front office probably needed this season to determine that. They'll either keep Jameer around (probably because they will be unable to trade his contract) or draft a true point guard for him to play next to which will take pressure off. It's tough as a rookie to go out there and at times be the only playmaker on your team. Once again, Wade comparisons were jumping the gun a bit, but I don't see why he couldn't be a better version of Tyreke Evans. ROY!

Out of this group of guys I hope that only Afflalo, Oladipo, Vuc, O'Quinn and Harris are in the future plans. Everyone else needs to get the boot. Sorry Andrew Nicholson, my faith in you has faltered...
AN had so much potential too. This offseason will be HUGE.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #14
BlackVVaves
NBA lottery pick

BlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected posterBlackVVaves is a pretty well-respected poster

20Four's a douche, but Jameer you can't blame him/them really, you do participate in a lot of antagonizing activities on this board geared towards irritating Lakers fans.

If you just play it cool and stop contributing to troll culture, they'll leave you alone after a while. But fighting fire with fire (turning into a troll to combat other trolls) won't really work. You'll end up trying to have real basketball discussions, and not only will they come in with the sole purpose of frustrating you, but other posters won't take you as serious as well due to your troll like behavior in past threads.

Just a piece of advice
BlackVVaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013

Orlando should draft Exum.

G:Exum
G:Oladipo
F:Harris
F:O'quinn
C:Vuc

Assuming Exun is the real deal, VO gets a more conistent mid-range jumper, and Harris works on his long-range 3, Orlando hould make the playoffs next season.

We even have another lottery pick. I think Exum would be a good pick too. At #12 I have no idea
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: